HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 MLB / Montreal Expos Thread (June 2012 - A Rally for the Expos)

Old
07-23-2011, 12:45 AM
sergejean

vCash: 500
The Expos should never have left Montreal.

Considering that cities such as Minnesota, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, Milwaukee, St-Louis Oakland etc. are in the MLB, I see no reason why MTL couldn't be competitive.

With the rise of RDS, TSN, Quebecor/CTV, there are TV deals to be concluded so the Expos would be viable.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:46 AM
coolasprICE

where the hell would they put a new stadium?

No room in the DT core, thanks to Condo dev.

Blue Bonnets? ...Traffic would be insane.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergejean View Post
The Expos should never have left Montreal.

Considering that cities such as Minnesota, Kansas City, Cincinnati, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cleveland, Seattle, Milwaukee, St-Louis Oakland etc. are in the MLB, I see no reason why MTL couldn't be competitive.

With the rise of RDS, TSN, Quebecor/CTV, there are TV deals to be concluded so the Expos would be viable.
If we only had 4 Sportsnet & 2/3 TSN's at the time(No Vision), bad timing! & one idiot Claude Brochu that sold us out! A local! to boot! enjoy those 25 Millions in the Caribbean! While we fight to get our team back from, scratch!

Last edited by Player 61: 07-23-2011 at 01:05 AM.
Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:05 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Per Rodger Brulotte on CKAC just now.

He was approached to be spokesperson for the project by people he didn't identify that he claims have the money and the will to bring baseball back the Montreal.

PKP?
here's an article/ clip from ckac

http://www.ckac.com/baseball/nouvell...eal-87954.html

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 01:07 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Rodger has his own agenda's but were all on the same team!

Old
07-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Come on Guys/Girls. Even Thetford Mines Quebec once had a AA team in baseball. If We can't get back in the game in 3-5 with AAA & get back to MLB within 20, then the locals are to blame. Hey I'll move to Toronto permanent or Seattle & enjoy baseball in summer, If you guys don't step up & talk Baseball, no skin off my back.

keep talking about it!

Old
07-23-2011, 12:10 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Come on Guys/Girls. Even Thetford Mines Quebec once had a AA team in baseball. If We can't get back in the game in 3-5 with AAA & get back to MLB within 20, then the locals are to blame. Hey I'll move to Toronto permanent or Seattle & enjoy baseball in summer, If you guys don't step up & talk Baseball, no skin off my back.

keep talking about it!
On the flip side, if the Expos ever return I will move back to Montreal.

If there's anything at all to this group though they'll have to be pretty aggressive and vocal if they want to drum up support. They have to let people know if there's a possibility of getting a team back, what level of commitment they are willing to make, and what we have to do to help make that happen.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:16 PM
Bulldozer

Rodger Brulotte scoop has given me a bit more sunshine in my day! lol

Montreal is still in love with the Expos even if they left years ago...and me too!

Let's GO EXPOS, Let's GO!

Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:32 PM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
No one wants the Expos to come back more than me, but it's not going to happen. Buying land, building a stadium and buying a team would be an investment of more than a billion dollars. No one in their right mind would take such a huge gamble to bring back a sport that failed less than ten years ago. And there are no teams in imminent danger of moving in MLB. Tampa Bay might be a possibility a few years down the road, but it's still a longshot. And if there was ever a team moving, MLB would want to move it inside the US instead of coming back to Canada.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
No one wants the Expos to come back more than me, but it's not going to happen. Buying land, building a stadium and buying a team would be an investment of more than a billion dollars. No one in their right mind would take such a huge gamble to bring back a sport that failed less than ten years ago. And there are no teams in imminent danger of moving in MLB. Tampa Bay might be a possibility a few years down the road, but it's still a longshot. And if there was ever a team moving, MLB would want to move it inside the US instead of coming back to Canada.
Nobody said overnight! Lets face it Summer just isn't the same & clocks never stop ticking!

Old
07-23-2011, 01:48 PM
penaltykiller

I could not sleep yesterday so I made this list of the things i consider necessary to bring the Expos back and keep them competitive.

Off the field
- New stadium downtown ( how many seats ? roof or no roof ?)

- Owners involved a la Pegula with the Sabres,

-Market the players ! I wish i could find the link but i heard Michael Barett saying that Youppi had more pics of him around the stadium than Vladimir Guerrero himself. Vlad was the best athlete to play in MTL in the last decade, yet he was almost unknown outside of the baseball circle.

- Get the players involved in the community.

-Media coverage. I guess that CKAC and Team 990 would kill to get something to broadcast during the summer. I once heard that Team 990 tried to get the rights to get Red Sox games but failed.

- On TV , everyone already said it but with RDS, RDS2 and TVA Sports , they will want stuff to fill the air during the summer. I am sure TVA sports would rather have the Expos than the Jays and RDS would rather show Expos-Braves than Cards-Reds.

-What about les Capitales de Québec ? Do they have what it takes to be our AA our AAA affiliate ? Would the people over there support a team where all the good guys are going to MTL ?

On the field

- Who is the Billy Beane of 2011 ? Get that guy to be the GM.

- The manager ? Find the Guy Boucher of baseball. Well , anybody but Frank Robinson.

- SCOUTING/PLAYER DEVELOPMENT. We'll never get a star player unless he comes from our farm system. We need to spent a huge % of our budget at that level.

-We will need some guys like Brad Wilkerson or Michael Barett. Just like the Habs , we will need to scout guys that are "special". In the habs case , we know that most of all they need mental toughness. In the Expos' case it's more guys who are willing to take the challenge to make that team competitive and make their sport more popular.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Keep it up PK, your on the right track, Roof? We don't need no stinking Roof, were Northern, Yankee Stadium & Fenway don't have roofs & they are in our region. Besides what would basball be without an occasional double-header, right?

Old
07-23-2011, 03:01 PM
penaltykiller

Doubleheaders are fun if they remain occasional. I remember reading that too many doubleheaders late in the season cost the Expos the 1979 pennant in september. They could not keep a proper pitching rotation. It's why i brought the question of the roof. Obviously we don't need it at the moment !

How many seats in the stadium ? 25 000 ? The average attendance in 1994 was around 24 000 but it kept getting higher during the season.

penaltykiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by penaltykiller View Post
Doubleheaders are fun if they remain occasional. I remember reading that too many doubleheaders late in the season cost the Expos the 1979 pennant in september. They could not keep a proper pitching rotation. It's why i brought the question of the roof. Obviously we don't need it at the moment !

How many seats in the stadium ? 25 000 ? The average attendance in 1994 was around 24 000 but it kept getting higher during the season.
Yeah! But We had The late Woodie Fryman, those Kentucky Workhorses, counter out the double-headers. He would pitch both games!

Old
07-23-2011, 03:13 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

I'd be all for a roof if it was similar to a SkyDome type roof, just don't make one out of something that will tear...

The stadium is a must but the new owners would have to do something like the Expos did in the 70s/80s and market the team not only in the Montreal region, but in places like Eastern Ontario, Upstate NY, Vermont, New Hampshire, New Brunswick IMO. It'd be great for attendance.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:30 PM
mrCoffea*

We can find land to build a stadium. People keep saying it HAS to be downtown, but I think it can work as long as it's in close proximity to the downtown core. I think near the Old Port would be amazing, but parking sort of worries me.

Honestly, Labatt park looked like it was going to be a beautiful stadium and the cost wasn't that ludicrous (~200 million IIRC). I think no roof can work in Montreal, but I wouldn't be opposed to a roof system as long as it can EASILY be retracted and isn't fragile.

I don't care if this doesn't happen overnight, and I don't expect it to. But we NEED to show support for a franchise back over here. We absolutely need to show the world we are interested in getting our team back. We can't just stand around, mope and say "Baseball will never come back" or "Baseball can't work here" because that's bullcrap.

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:35 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

This would have been grest wouldn't it?

Just schedule more road game in April/September and it's perfect.

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Were years away, but on the right track, like I said. I think we need to play AAA again, to make us look interesting once again. Hell were not Paris, were a North American City when Tokyo is playing Pro Ball & were not! Well... Embarrassing for a Metro Centre so close to NYC.

For You Guys that think a MLB Stadium is necessary to have Roof in Montreal, then we can learn from Seattle, they have a perfect retractable roof over there, that still keeps it intimate, take a visit one day. You will Love it!.

We can do it! Just not overnight.

Old
07-23-2011, 05:08 PM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Montreal is the 8th largest market in North America and has a great baseball history. If only we had a capable owner and a stadium that doesn't break with wind, we'd still be in MLB right now.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Bud Selig Memorial fountain in Dunedin Florida. It's real! Trust me! I didn't put the sticker there, but, I can tell you someone from Montreal did!

Last edited by Player 61: 07-23-2011 at 06:08 PM.
Old
07-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Player 61
#Winning

That flusher above, has been a running joke, ever since we lost our team in 2004. Hats off to Selig, Good Job, was DC really that worth it? They lost 2 teams to Minny & Texas, why did they have to pick on us! They haven't had a winning season since, we cursed them, and were never lifting it!

Old
07-24-2011, 10:45 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
Rodger Brulotte scoop has given me a bit more sunshine in my day! lol

Montreal is still in love with the Expos even if they left years ago...and me too!

Let's GO EXPOS, Let's GO!
Seriously, I see more Expos gear now then when they were here. If they were ever to come back I think it could work, a solid owner and a new ball park things would work

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post

This would have been grest wouldn't it?

Just schedule more road game in April/September and it's perfect.
That is amazing!

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:52 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
George Gillet and Pierre Boivin did it with the Habs. They were not in an as bad position financially but the team was crap in the end of the 90s. It's crazy how a serious and hard working staff can flip a team's performance, success, popularity and value.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
George Gillet and Pierre Boivin did it with the Habs. They were not in an as bad position financially but the team was crap in the end of the 90s. It's crazy how a serious and hard working staff can flip a team's performance, success, popularity and value.
The two situations are not comparable. The Habs were still here and still had by far the richest history of any team in the sport. The building might not have been sold out every night, but they still led the league in attendance. I don't think there was ever any significant concern other than the Canadian dollar.

Baseball is a MUCH bigger gamble here. I'm convinced it can work under the right circumstances, but there is definitely risk and honestly it will cost a lot more than Molson recently paid to get the Canadiens and the Bell Centre.

Sports1131 is offline   Reply With Quote