HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Just a thought....

Old
03-29-2011, 03:10 PM
fyrescorp

vCash: 500
Just a thought....

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but what about moving JJ up to forward and bringing up one of the D men in Manchester? Maybe too late in the season but it could help the Kings overall defensively and Jack could provide SOME offense.

Flame away......

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:12 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Its been discussed before and he has evn played a few shifts up front throughout his time in hockey. That said I wouldn't risk it with him. We have several other options and JJ is having a very good year, putting him up front could have a negative effect on both his D game and his health.

You could argue the same either way but to me it isn't worth the risk at this time of the season.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
OK Computer

If it was November, sure, it'd be a risk worth taking. During the last handful of games in the season when our franchise center has gone down is not the time to be taking this big of a risk.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:17 PM
SLang

Nope, if LA is going anywhere in the playoffs it's going to be defensive depth that gets them there IMO.

That said I'd love to see him play at forward.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Winger23

I brought this up in another thread. I'm supporting this idea a lot the more I think about it. Whiskey is better defensively than JJ is right now (imo) and moving JJ up to wing is a better option than having to double shift a player or use Westgarth.

With Kopi and Williams both out goals were hard enough to come by while these guys were there, and IMO the Kings will need to win some 1-0, 2-1 games with obviously the defense and goaltending carrying this team.

Also if TM is planning on double shifting a winger, having JJ as a wing can always move back to the blueline if the situation warrents it.

Doughty-Scuderi
Whiskey - Mitchell
Greener-Martinez

Not sure about the above pairings, but that's a real solid defensive lineup on the blueline.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:31 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrescorp View Post
Hope this doesn't sound too stupid, but what about moving JJ up to forward and bringing up one of the D men in Manchester? Maybe too late in the season but it could help the Kings overall defensively and Jack could provide SOME offense.

Flame away......
... From about 1998 to 2000, the Kings would run an offense on the PP where Rob Blake would be kind of a "rover", in that he would start the shift on the point and then later go down low to try and screen goalies/tip in shots.

If the Kings worked a five-man unit on the PP of Penner-Stoll-Johnson-Martinez-Doughty, the Kings could afford to send Jack down low in very much the same manner.

I don't know if it's feasible to try Jack up front for 5-on-5 shifts, although I think Harrold's done a pretty good job this year, and defense pairings looking like:

Scuderi-Doughty
Mitchell-Martinez
Greene-Harrold

with Johnson up front for some shifts wouldn't sound bad to me at all.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:40 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

This was discussed recently on KingsTalk and the answer given was that Jack has MUCH more value to the Kings as a defenseman than as a forward, so there was basically zero chance of this happening.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
Whiskey is better defensively than JJ is right now

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
What? defensively Johnson has been just ok. He's been good overall, I just think defensively Whiskey is better.

Old
03-29-2011, 04:14 PM
jimmy1100

Quote:
What? defensively Johnson has been just ok. He's been good overall, I just think defensively Whiskey is better.
No. The problem is this -the times when JJ makes a mistake, it's a glaringly bad mistake. Of course, most people remember those mistakes a lot more than they even notice a solid defensive play.

Jack has been very good defensively this year. When he does **** up though, he ***** up big.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
scramble91

Quote:
I don't think you are wrong with the statement. I would say whiskey is better positionally than Jj, but that only counts for so much. The reason why whiskey isn't playing is because he gets pushed around and off he puck. JJ is much stronger on the man and the puck which makes him far less of a liability this time of year.

I would be one of the few that wouldn't agree with moving JJ to the wing. I would keep him going where he is and fine tune his game and continually develop into a better dman. He still has to find the balance between his offense and defense. (his offensive game outside the powerplay has been poor of late)

scramble91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Kings man 4 life

I agree with keeping JJ as a D-man, he is and will continue to be a D-man for the Kings and shifting him to wing for an emergency could possibly hurt his development. We are now starting to see the JJ that was hyped his draft year, lets keep the course on our newly signed franchise D-man. Let him grow into the role HE is dedicated too.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Absolutely I'd do it. If Burns can do it, so can Johnson.

Penner-Stoll-Brown
Johnson-Handzus-Moller
Smyth-Richardson-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Harrold
Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Martinez
Greene-Drewiske

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Whiskeypete

Quote:
Whiskey is better defensively than JJ is right now (imo)
i am? i'm speechless, but thank you

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2011, 08:22 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Absolutely I'd do it. If Burns can do it, so can Johnson.

Penner-Stoll-Brown
Johnson-Handzus-Moller
Smyth-Richardson-Simmonds
Clifford-Lewis-Harrold
Westgarth

Doughty-Mitchell
Scuderi-Martinez
Greene-Drewiske
I'd still use Poni instead of Harrold. I'm sure it was just an oversight on your part though.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:36 PM
triplcrown

Whiskey is better defensively than JJ is right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
I 2nd that emoticon

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:38 PM
triplcrown

JJ can't get no respect from some fools around here!

triplcrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
ShattStar03

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
JJ can't get no respect from some fools around here!

I concur

ShattStar03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
People are debating Whiskey vs. Jack Johnson? Eek...

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:17 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Jack is a defenseman and will never play forward.

I thought he played a solid game against Edmonton. He was activating much more and he was solid last year in the playoffs. He's a big game player and he's still young. He just needs to cut down on the mental lapses. Much like Quick's lapses that resuts in bad angle goals.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:18 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
I like Jack, I just think it's funny to remember that back in November and October he was so bad...

I honestly thought JMFJ was done but he the way he managed to turn the season and his career around absolutely shocked me

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:17 AM
Winger23

Holy crap whats with all the . Johnson is a stud, I never suggested otherwise. I am not comparing Whiskey to Johnson. Johnson has made some glaring mistakes defensively.

With the grinding offense the Kings will have to manage the rest of the way without their top 2 leading scorers, I was simply stating that Whiskey, again in my opinion would be better defensively limiting Johnson's mistakes when defense is that much more important now.

Moving Johnson up to wing would also have the potential to create just a bit more offense that Westgarth or Harrold would provide, and every little bit right now would help.

Would I take Johnson out of the lineup and replace him with Whiskey? **** no. All I'm saying is the Kings actual defense would slightly improve while Johnson could help up front when the offense could use all the help it could get.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:24 AM
TwoForRoughing
Building a Dynasty

Nah, Johnson will be fine as a dman. Think about what kind of message it would send to Jack. You're pretty much giving up on him after all the years he's worked on being better defensively. Remember, he's still really young and his game has improved. The consistency will come with age and he'll develop into a solid dman.

edit: Not only that, but who would replace him right now? It can't be anyone from Manchester because six games before the start of the playoffs is not a time for auditions. Also, do you really want Whiskie in the lineup on a daily basis? I sure don't...

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:27 AM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoKingsGoo View Post
Nah, Johnson will be fine as a dman. Think about what kind of message it would send to Jack. You're pretty much giving up on him after all the years he's worked on being better defensively. Remember, he's still really young and his game has improved. The consistency will come with age and he'll develop into a solid dman.
I don't get it. I have not once said they should give up on him. I'm talking for the last few games of the season and perhaps playoffs if they make it to help with scoring.

Jack is going to be a great player for years to come on the blue line. I'm not suggesting otherwise. They need help up front.

I think I need to work on my writing skills because apparently some of my thoughts are not coming across accurately.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:34 AM
TwoForRoughing
Building a Dynasty

Quote:
I don't get it. I have not once said they should give up on him. I'm talking for the last few games of the season and perhaps playoffs if they make it to help with scoring.

Jack is going to be a great player for years to come on the blue line. I'm not suggesting otherwise. They need help up front.

I think I need to work on my writing skills because apparently some of my thoughts are not coming across accurately.

Not to sound like an ass, but I wasn't even referring to you...

TwoForRoughing is online now   Reply With Quote