HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking news (not) - Crosby at practice - 4/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 11:57 AM
Alesle

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Just came to post this

I am reading thise, the same time I am listening to the yahoos on 93.7 say it is "2-3 weeks". One coming from the team, the other coming from a "news source", who has media members at practice, and they are that far apart? Does not compute.
How do you make that out to be far apart? The regular season ends in less than two weeks.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
cassius

Crosby is gonna have a big target on his head if he returns in the playoffs. I would like to see him get some regular season action first.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
KiuasWarrior

Optimism to pessimism, that fast.

I guess you can look at it as... why put him back into a meaningless regular season game. -- are there risks in doing so? Sure.

But, even as the super star that he is, getting a game under his belt before the playoffs would be huge.

They are being extremely cautious with this, rightfully so.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Blaa blaa blaa... We just have to wait and see what happens. Too bad if he decides to return for playoffs and not for couple of last regular season games.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:08 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
How do you make that out to be far apart? The regular season ends in less than two weeks.
They are/were reporting that he would return in 2-3 weeks.

Shero saying he is only taking morning skates, not even full practices yet.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Alesle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
They are/were reporting that he would return in 2-3 weeks.

Shero saying he is only taking morning skates, not even full practices yet.
Well, based on him taking morning skates I'd say 2-3 weeks would be a good guess for a return date. Probably just speculation, but not really conflicting with what Shero said. Unless they said he will return in 2-3 weeks.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:18 PM
JTG

Well morning skates =/= practice.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:24 PM
ZeroHero

vCash: 50
This is all starting to piss me off, I feel like I'm trying to decipher the Da Vinci Code.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Well morning skates =/= practice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroHero View Post
This is all starting to piss me off, I feel like I'm trying to decipher the Da Vinci Code.
They only reason they're saying this is because the next practice happens to be a morning skate. I'll be stunned if he doesn't practice the following day.

Only a few days before crosby's first skate Byslma was saying 'i have no idea when he's returning. we haven't even talked about talking about when to talk about his return'. Hm...ya ok.

It's all horse ****. He's cleared for practice, he will play in at least one regular season game. I'll wager my 50 vCash.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Cspeirs4

I think Shero made it pretty clear that Crosby isn't coming back in the regular season and most likely not the first round of playoffs but if the team makes it to second round they will consider it... I think this is where the timetable is at, if any.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:42 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Paddy View Post
It's all horse ****. He's cleared for practice, he will play in at least one regular season game. I'll wager my 50 vCash.
It's rare you watch an organization spread disinformation so blatantly. The Penguins are obviously being aloof here. There is always a schedule, or timeline, on the recovery of an athlete. The guy has had scheduled days off. A schedule is the same thing as a timeline. The Pens are trying to keep their holding an ace in the hole subtle. Adding a player like Sid a game before the playoffs is tactical hell for the opposition. They pretty much have to throw their even strength and penalty kill strategies out the window and totally rely on a one or two game period.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Vujtek

From the Dreger Report:

Quote:
1) Sidney Crosby has been cleared to practice with the Pittsburgh Penguins, but neither Crosby nor the Penguins - backed up by a tweet from Penguins GM Ray Shero - can estimate when he might be able to return to the Pens lineup.

"Will join team for morning skates, but not full practice. We have no expectations for return in reg season," Shero wrote in a tweet.

Crosby has been cleared to skate with the team to test how he reacts in that environment, but is still considered to be a long way away from game action and won't return until he is 100 percent ready.

It's believed that Crosby still occasionally suffers from some concussion-related symptoms
, so doctors have not discussed any time lines or placed expectations on when he might graduate to the next phase, which would be to particpate in a full contact practice.

Crosby's agent Pat Brisson admits today's news is encouraging, but cautions all who seem convinced the Pens captain is now within days of re-joining his team.

"He's been cleared to practice to gauge how he feels," Brisson told The Dreger Report. "It's part of the process and nothing more...he could be far away."
That's the first I've heard of that since Crosby started skating. Not good, not good.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:44 PM
PensFanSince1989

Roffles, Dreger is still saying it's 'believed' that Crosby is still suffering from symptoms.

http://tsn.ca/dregerreport/

Old
03-30-2011, 12:45 PM
PensFanSince1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
From the Dreger Report:

That's the first I've heard of that since Crosby started skating. Not good, not good.
Beat me to it. But Dreger basically said the exact same thing when Crosby started skating, I don't buy it.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:49 PM
MtlPenFan

Don't know why everyone's losing it. It's a head injury to our team's most important player and people are freaking that they're not setting a date?

It's not a broken finger for God's sake.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:50 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
Roffles, Dreger is still saying it's 'believed' that Crosby is still suffering from symptoms.

Why move him to the next step of recovery if he still occasionally experiences symptoms? Makes no sense to me (of course I'm not a doctor). I really think most of the media is grasping at straws and people inside the organization are trying to temper excitement in case something bad happens (or they want to drive everyone nuts).

Old
03-30-2011, 12:54 PM
Sorry

And Dreger recognizes an opportunity to get a million twitter hits. If I had that "expert analyst" job I'd probably do the same thing. "Oh Crosby is close to full practices? I'll make up some BS about rumors of lingering symptoms and watch my name spread like wildfire throughout the web of hockey on a wednesday near the playoffs. Epic winning."

Old
03-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
It's rare you watch an organization spread disinformation so blatantly. The Penguins are obviously being aloof here. There is always a schedule, or timeline, on the recovery of an athlete. The guy has had scheduled days off. A schedule is the same thing as a timeline. The Pens are trying to keep their holding an ace in the hole subtle. Adding a player like Sid a game before the playoffs is tactical hell for the opposition. They pretty much have to throw their even strength and penalty kill strategies out the window and totally rely on a one or two game period.
Yeah, except nobody is buying their act. Everybody and their mother knows he's coming back.

Quote:
Beat me to it. But Dreger basically said the exact same thing [that he is having concussion symptoms again] when Crosby started skating, I don't buy it.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Sorry

Quote:
Yeah, except nobody is buying their act. Everybody and their mother knows he's coming back.
For sure. But you can't adapt your game plan to something you haven't seen, can you?

Ummm, I think you messed up uploading an image a lil' bit.

Old
03-30-2011, 12:59 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
For sure. But you can't adapt your game plan to something you haven't seen, can you?
The playoff bracket hasn't even been set yet. Nobody is planning for their match up. I can guarantee you whoever is lined up vs the Pens will account for Crosby being there.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Sorry

Quote:
The playoff bracket hasn't even been set yet. Nobody is planning for their match up. I can guarantee you whoever is lined up vs the Pens will account for Crosby being there.
Account for something that can not be seen; How do you say, foolish?

Sid's return is going to make it hell on the Pens first round opponents.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:05 PM
mpp9

Judging by shero's comments. It seems they're most worried about getting him in game shape vs. worrying about him jumping into the playoffs. Regular season debut may be unlikely now. Obviously they're talking out their *** to keep teams guessing on what team they'll be playing come playoffs. Still hope Sid gets one game to get his timing back.

Old
03-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Genetic

Quote:

if thats true.....

Old
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Cspeirs4

Although Dreger is probably the best hockey insider there is, I don't see why Crosby would go through intense workouts if he was still experiencing symptoms. Wouldn't they just let him rest or keep him at the same step if he was still experiencing symptoms? Seems odd to me..

Old
03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Account for something that can not be seen; How do you say, foolish?

Sid's return is going to make it hell on the Pens first round opponents.
They may well make a contingency plan for if sid isn't back....but the only thing foolish in this situation would be to not account at all for if sid is back.

There is no way in hell that a team is just going to completely overlook that possibility. It's foolish to be unprepared.

In any case....let's just wait another day or two for some more info before we go on speculating back and forth. Some here think a regular season return is unlikely or in question; I, on the other hand, think the pens office is doing a terrible job trying to hide their cards (like it matters anyways ) and that Sid is right on track, will be practicing with the team and will return in the regular season. So far, everything is unfolding exactly as a few of us have speculated. SirBrad, i know you're with me.

Closed Thread