HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking news (not) - Crosby at practice - 4/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 02:20 PM
PensFanSince1989

vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=360104

Quote:
"Our captain is coming back any time soon? That is not our expectation," Shero said Wednesday. "Having said that, I don't want to take hope away from the player, because he's feeling good about himself. But when I talk to Dan Bylsma, our coach, about a date, a certain date about when Sid might be coming back, the certain date might be in training camp."

Old
03-30-2011, 02:25 PM
metalan2

Yea..there is a 0% chance Sid is on the ice practicing with team if he has concussion symptoms. Ludicrous.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:28 PM
TheDudeAbides

Imagine waking up to the news that crosby has progressed to practice and is traveling with the team? sets the tone for a pretty good day. in no way do i buy that he is still having symptoms, doctors wouldnt even clear him to skate if he was. Ill expect to see him in the playoffs 1st round.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM
PensFanSince1989

Reading the Transcript of what Shero said makes me believe Dreger may actually be correct about Crosby still having some symptoms:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.ht...id=DL|PIT|home

Quote:
On if Crosby might rush things:
I don’t think so. This is an injury that is so symptom-based, and he knows his symptoms. People who have been through this can tell you the same thing. He’ll know when he needs to pull back a little bit. He’ll know if he has a symptom, how if that lasts a certain amount of time that it will usually clear. But the last thing we’re going to do with Sidney Crosby – or any player – is push him if they’re not ready for that. And this is kind of doctor’s orders on top of that. I think we’re comfortable with that, and he is very comfortable with it. With a younger captain, and probably the best player in the world, when you’re dealing with these things, the questions are out there, the speculations, but he’s been dealing with this for almost three months. He does know his body well. He knows his injury at this point. My expectation at this point is that he’s not going to push himself too much, but he’ll push himself enough where he feels good, and if he doesn’t he’ll pull back a little bit.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 View Post
This article is the exact opposite of what was posted just a few hours earlier. The back and forth the media does is even worse than us here. I will still call bluff on Shero's comments about him not coming back this year and if I'm wrong oh well. I'd rather that then constantly swing back and forth with the media, twisting comments and over exaggeration.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
Yea..there is a 0% chance Sid is on the ice practicing with team if he has concussion symptoms. Ludicrous.
This.

At this point, if he were experiencing ANY KIND of symptoms, he would not even be seen skating/working out/etc...

BS!

Old
03-30-2011, 02:37 PM
NewFang

I believe Dregger si very well connected to the situation, and that Crosby is still not 100% symptom free.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
Sorry

But Sid hasn't pulled back. He has come a long way these last few weeks.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
mpp9

I think he might have a neck injury if he's having "symptoms" still. That would explain him progressing but still having side effects. They would not be putting him on the ice with concussion symptoms but some minor pain from something non-brain related I can see.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
This.

At this point, if he were experiencing ANY KIND of symptoms, he would not even be seen skating/working out/etc...

BS!
You don't know that for sure. And a symptom might jsut be Sid feeling "off", or not himself. Concussions are funny things.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
I believe Dregger si very well connected to the situation, and that Crosby is still not 100% symptom free.
I can believe this but then why in the world is he skating and progressing and not just hanging it up for the year at this point? Based on the protocol we have seen Crosby has done nothing but progress the past 2 weeks in terms of his workouts. With less than 2 weeks left in the regular season, if a return by the 1st round wasn't likely, wouldn't they just let him rest or take a few day break or slow down his workouts? I truly believe if there wasn't a serious chance he was returning by round 1, then he wouldn't be traveling with the team in the morning skate.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
TheDudeAbides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I can believe this but then why in the world is he skating and progressing and not just hanging it up for the year at this point? Based on the protocol we have seen Crosby has done nothing but progress the past 2 weeks in terms of his workouts. With less than 2 weeks left in the regular season, if a return by the 1st round wasn't likely, wouldn't they just let him rest or take a few day break or slow down his workouts? I truly believe if there wasn't a serious chance he was returning by round 1, then he wouldn't be traveling with the team in the morning skate.
agreed, and another thing too, if theyre clearing sid to skate or practice while he is still experiencing symptoms, they are violating the leagues concussion protocol, think about it, with a player of sids caliber, if they got caught violating this protocol the results might be pretty bad for those involved in clearing him and i dont think anybody would take that kind of risk.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
KiuasWarrior

Quote:
You don't know that for sure. And a symptom might jsut be Sid feeling "off", or not himself. Concussions are funny things.
I just don't see how he could go from 'possibly having symptoms' to... "Okay Sid, you can travel with the team now" to possibly prepare for a playoff return in just TWO WEEKS.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Sorry

Quote:
I believe Dregger has as many connections to news about Sids injury/recovery as the rest of us. AKA, not much. Only difference is that he gets payed to pretend that he knows something we don't. You really think people so close to the Pens organization that they are informed beyond the normal news about Sid are talking to Dregger and saying he still has symptoms? Yeah, that's probably not the case. The Pens have been extremely tight lipped about Sid but all of a sudden Dregger has information about Sid still having symptoms? On the day it's announced he will start skating with the team? What a laugh. Dregger has certainly achieved his goal of putting his name in the hockey worlds biggest discussion at the moment, though.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

This sucks. I have my fingers and toes crossed that he will return for the last game of regular season, even I doubt it after what Shero said.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:51 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorry View Post
I believe Dregger has as many connections to news about Sids injury/recovery as the rest of us. AKA, not much. Only difference is that he gets payed to pretend that he knows something we don't. You really think people so close to the Pens organization that they are informed beyond the normal news about Sid are talking to Dregger and saying he still has symptoms? Yeah, that's probably not the case. The Pens have been extremely tight lipped about Sid but all of a sudden Dregger has information about Sid still having symptoms? On the day it's announced he will start skating with the team? What a laugh. Dregger has certainly achieved his goal of putting his name in the hockey world biggest discussion at the moment, though.
Dregger talks to Sid's agent regularly. Do you? He also talks directly to Shero in candid situations.

Maybe it's an issue of what defines a "concussion symptom". My point, is that Crosby may still feel a bit off. You know...not yourself, but maybe not a symptom you can put your finger on like a headache, etc.

Anyways, we're all just speculating here. I do believe that Shero and CO are being overly cautious with their words.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Dupree13

Talk about being blind sided. From the avalanche of optimism to this slap in the face.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
KiuasWarrior

I think Shero's statement was required, but sends the wrong signal.

With this situation, you can't have the world believing he'll be back, and BAM, there's a setback and no Sid. It's better to have people believing it's slim that we'll see him suit up, then one day... SID WILL BE IN TONIGHT'S LINEUP. Better safe, than sorry.

He's traveling with the team right now, I'd be totally shocked if we don't see him in the first round of the playoffs, game 1.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
penslover871

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
Crosby is gonna have a big target on his head if he returns in the playoffs. I would like to see him get some regular season action first.
I'd rather him NOT come back for a regular season game.
The last 3 games are NJ, Islanders, and Atlanta. Those teams aren't making the playoffs and would have nothing to lose by gunning for Sid. I say leave him out until he's 100% and can be in complete game shape.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

news keeps getting better and better

Old
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Dupree13

Not sure how you can read the Shero transcript and still be optimistic about Sid playing this year. It doesn't sound like BS in the least, he's just shooting straight and telling it like it is. It seems there has been a lot of wishful thinking and phony insiders in internet land these past few weeks.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:02 PM
peskypenguin4

Rossi is looking like a real idiot at the moment. For a beat reporter, you would think he would have more insight nut it looks like he might have been making stuff up.

Last edited by peskypenguin4: 03-30-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old
03-30-2011, 03:06 PM
Nakawick

So what the hell is going on here anyway?

He is doing "morning skates" with the team? Does that mean the morning skate on game days? Does it mean skating sometime before 12pm with other people who are also pittsburgh penguins? it is non contact practice? Does he have symptoms now? WTF is going on?

Old
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Not sure how you can read the Shero transcript and still be optimistic about Sid playing this year. It doesn't sound like BS in the least, he's just shooting straight and telling it like it is. It seems there has been a lot of wishful thinking and phony insiders in internet land these past few weeks.
True. But how can you just look at words and ignore facts? Sid will be traveling with the team for the first time and participating in a morning skate. He has progressed and increased his workout over the past 2 weeks with only a day rest between workouts here and there. why continued progress and practicing with the team if he's not coming back this year? I read Shero's statements as being cautious so as to prevent media craze around Crosby and let the team focus on trying to win the division and get ready for the playoffs without constantly having to focus on the Crosby issue.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:17 PM
Dupree13

It's not the facts themselves that really prove much, it's the optimistic inferences that were drawn from the facts that had people excited. For example, how is morning skate different from what he's already doing? As for travelling, maybe he wants to get some sun? None of it proves that he's close to returning.

Closed Thread