HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Breaking news (not) - Crosby at practice - 4/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 02:18 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
True. But how can you just look at words and ignore facts? Sid will be traveling with the team for the first time and participating in a morning skate. He has progressed and increased his workout over the past 2 weeks with only a day rest between workouts here and there. why continued progress and practicing with the team if he's not coming back this year? I read Shero's statements as being cautious so as to prevent media craze around Crosby and let the team focus on trying to win the division and get ready for the playoffs without constantly having to focus on the Crosby issue.
That, and maybe the fact that even if he's symptom free, this stuff is so unpredictable they may not want him back playing in the playoffs where things are 10 times more intense?

Old
03-30-2011, 02:30 PM
TopShelfGoal

If he's going to play, it's going to be in the last regular season game. They aren't going to throw him out there in the 1st round and hope he's ready.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
AK

I don't think it's going to happen. The Pens are winning the Cup next year if he's healthy, so just make sure that happens.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:35 PM
hctopcheds11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Not sure how you can read the Shero transcript and still be optimistic about Sid playing this year. It doesn't sound like BS in the least, he's just shooting straight and telling it like it is. It seems there has been a lot of wishful thinking and phony insiders in internet land these past few weeks.
I just had the chance to watch the video of it and I interpreted the video slightly different than the transcript. You really get a sense in the video that Shero just doesn't want any speculation about Crosby.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
WickedWrister

These quotes are chalk full of contradictions. First, Shero says "There is still no timeline for his return" and then the article says "Crosby is scheduled to participate in the morning skates on Thursday in Tampa Bay and Saturday in Florida. He will then skate on his own on the off-day Friday."

What?

Also says "Crosby will address the media following Thursday’s morning skate in Tampa."

Lets all relax until tomorrow morning. I wanna hear it from Sid himself how he's doing

Old
03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

So either somebody is lying, or the organization is idiotic for having him out on the ice while he's not symptom free..

Old
03-30-2011, 02:46 PM
hctopcheds11

Really is a confusing day.

Part of me really believes what Ray Shero is saying (There is no expectations for him, he's not playing during the regular season etc.) and another part of me thinks its BS and that there clearly is a plan. I'm still left confused, all physical signs that we know of points to him being 1 to 2 weeks away. He's been skating for two weeks and working out off the ice. At this point, I just don't know if I buy that he needs to continue individual workouts and conditioning steps to get into better game shape. I don't know how much more he can gain shape wise by doing what he has been doing plus Morning Skates. I think the things that would help him game shape wise, are all done in practice (Non-Contact for a few days and then Contact for a few more).

I love that the Penguins are being extremely careful and are doing what they are supposed to do, protect their player (in this case physically and the expectations of him from the outside world). Its hard to choose what to believe, the Penguins management who is adamantly claiming he isn't close or the physical signs (going on an away trip, playing in morning skates, ramping up workouts etc.).

As almost always with cases like this, its best to just wait and see. Unfortunately, I am an impatient person and I want to know how the future of the Penguins franchise is doing.

Last edited by hctopcheds11: 03-30-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Shero via Lebrun article -

Quote:
"That's why he's not going to play in the regular season, let's get that out of the way first."
Quote:
"Hey, it might be September," Shero said. "And at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with that. We just want him to make sure when he returns he's 100 percent. That's really where we are."
Quote:
"It's great news that he's making the trip," added Shero. "To be with his teammates again, that's part of it. It's good news where he's at, he's certainly progressing and going well. But it's a step by step thing."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...crosbys-return

Old
03-30-2011, 02:56 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Nobody can convince me it's not fantastic news seeing him upgraded to practicing with the team. You don't take that significant step and be worse off.

Old
03-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Sideline

The whole notion of "no time line" is obviously ********. Any injury, no matter how strange, always has average/median/max/min progressions.

I bet you the Penguins and Crosby's camp all know at the very least he will not be back before some specific date. They've likely established minimum time to progression in each stage. I.E. no matter how good he feels on day 3 of this stage he won't move on until day 5 at the earliest.

All that said I don't really care that Shero is blowing smoke. Crosby will be ready when he's ready and Shero massaging the truth wont change that eventuality.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:00 PM
NewFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
why continued progress and practicing with the team if he's not coming back this year? .
I've read Parise will come back to play a couple of games with NJ? Why?

Who knows. It's part of the rehab process I guess.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
TheWizardOfCros

i think the org made a internal decision to say "no time line" after every new news that comes out on sid. there gonna say that up untill the day he comes back.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
Dupree13

Maybe what we've seen has just been the natural course of his recovery, and the timing is really not indicative of anything.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Duck Paddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizardOfCros View Post
i think the org made a internal decision to say "no time line" after every new news that comes out on sid. there gonna say that up untill the day he comes back.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Maybe what we've seen has just been the natural course of his recovery, and the timing is really not indicative of anything.
No. There is no reason on this planet they would have him doing all of these workouts just to 'test his injury' for September. He would have hung the skates up until early summer and taken it from there.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:28 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I'm really just not buying into anything that comes from the media anymore. There have been so many contradicting stories throughout this whol ordeal that it's gotten flat out ridiculous. Personally, I don't think Sid would've been out on the ice in rather intense on-ice workouts over the last couple of weeks if he was still experiencing "symptoms". I also don't think he'd be INCREASING the length and intensity of these workouts progressively either. Lastly, why on earth would he travel with the team and participate in team practice if he was still feeling a little out of it? Very little of this makes sense, so I'm just gonna take comfort in the videos we've been seeing of Sid on the ice for the time being.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:32 PM
duffy9748

Not a Penguins fan so I don't know much about Shero. Has he tried to hide things in the past and then all of a sudden break some major news?

Old
03-30-2011, 03:36 PM
Cspeirs4

Also wouldn't it be bad to fly if he was still experiencing symptoms? Either he doesn't have any symptoms (makes sense) or their throwing him on a road trip to see how he reacts to everything (makes little to no sense)

Old
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt's Best #87 #66 View Post
Rossi is looking like a real idiot at the moment. For a beat reporter, you would think he would have more insight nut it looks like he might have been making stuff up.

I'm actually sorry I gave him the benefit of the doubt the other day (for a change). So far every time he's claimed to have a scoop on something it's turned out to be nothing more than an attempt to get more clicks / get a buzz going. But we'll see what happens the rest of the week. I would not put Shero or Bylsma above telling some "white lies" to throw off the competition from game-planning when Sid might come back, etc.

Old
Jag68Sid87

I view the situation as a gun with bullets. I wouldn't "waste" any Crosby bullets on the regular season. I realize he'll be rusty in Game 1, Round 1, but we shouldn't expect Sidney the Great right off the bat anyway, no matter how many regular-season games he'd play. The rust will be there. But I just wouldn't want to risk anything in what will amount to meaningless games basically. Yeah I know we have positioning to determine and all that. I just want to have Sid in the lineup. I'll take my chances with any team with him in there (hoping to avoid Montreal, admittedly).

Second reason why it's a good idea to hold Sid out until the playoffs is the team we play won't have any advanced scouting report on him until after Game 1. Hey, if we can sneak a win early, we would only need 3 more. At this time of the year, you look for ANY edge possible.

I am more confident than ever that Sid will return. I honestly didn't like our chances of seeing him again this season a few weeks back.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Pancakes

I really don't understand the logic behind Sid's first game being a playoff game. If that's the case, you might as well just sit him the rest of the year.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:46 PM
Pancakes

Shero's comments really are incredibly deflating. I hope he's just tempering expectations, but saying flat out that Sid won't play again in the regular season makes me really feel like we probably won't see him in the playoffs either.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:47 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFang View Post
You don't know that for sure. And a symptom might jsut be Sid feeling "off", or not himself. Concussions are funny things.
"You don't know that for sure"
Oh the irony

Old
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
TheWizardOfCros

so if hes cleared to play by docters and has had contact in pratice, will have started to skate for a month and not have any symptoms for over a month when the playoffs started u woudnt want him to come back? makes no sense.

Old
03-30-2011, 03:49 PM
Iffyiffiffer
Moo

There's two schedules.

A training schedule with certain types of skating, conditioning, lifting, and recovery plans... This is normal for runner, weightlifters, etc. You don't just run into the gym on random days and do random stuff at random intensities.

And a schedule that can be modified on a moment's notice for his return they're never going to tell anyone about because if something happens they're either accused of lying if he doesn't make that date or rushing him back if he comes back before that date.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWizardOfCros View Post
so if hes cleared to play by docters and has had contact in pratice, will have started to skate for a month and not have any symptoms for over a month when the playoffs started u woudnt want him to come back? makes no sense.
The playoffs are a different animal. The intensity is so high. And for that to be his first game back...I don't like it.

I want to win the Cup badly. I want him back badly. But if the playoffs are his first game, how could he possibly be ready for that?

But after thinking about this more, it's win/win. Either he comes back early and we get to see him on the ice again which is awesome, or they rest him and he doesn't come back until next season and maybe that long rest does him good. So there are positives to take out of this no matter what direction they go.

Closed Thread