HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Breaking news (not) - Crosby at practice - 4/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2011, 04:07 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
The playoffs are a different animal. The intensity is so high. And for that to be his first game back...I don't like it.

I want to win the Cup badly. I want him back badly. But if the playoffs are his first game, how could he possibly be ready for that?

But after thinking about this more, it's win/win. Either he comes back early and we get to see him on the ice again which is awesome, or they rest him and he doesn't come back until next season and maybe that long rest does him good. So there are positives to take out of this no matter what direction they go.
Uh, it's not like he's never played in the playoffs before. He knows exactly what it will mean. If he comes back, I can say with absolute certainty he will be ready.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
The playoffs are a different animal. The intensity is so high. And for that to be his first game back...I don't like it.

I want to win the Cup badly. I want him back badly. But if the playoffs are his first game, how could he possibly be ready for that?
I agree to an extent, but it I wouldn't put anything past Sidney Crosby. He is the best player in the world and if anyone can be ready to jump into a playoff game cold, it's him. As long as the doctors and coaches are comfortable with it, then I have no doubt Sid will perform.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:10 PM
PensWinTheCup

What does the pens cap situation look like? If crosby were to come back for the last reg. season game, what kind of moves would they need to make to get under the cap?

There was an article in PPG by Molinari back around the trade deadline that I remembered reading

On the Penguins: Injuries to Crosby, Malkin Provide Potential Benefit

Quote:
And this is where it could get interesting: The salary cap is not in effect during the playoffs, which means that, in theory, Shero could add players by using Crosby's cap space, but still be allowed to use Crosby in the playoffs without removing anyone from the roster to get down to the $59.4 million cap ceiling.

Mind you, if Crosby were to magically appear in the lineup for the playoff opener in mid-April after not being in a game since Jan. 5, other teams would protest vigorously (and rightly so) and the league would initiate an investigation to determine whether it really was just a coincidence that he was able to resume playing at just the right moment to let his club have the best of both worlds.
It could be that RS is trying to do just this...

but I don't know anything about where the pens stand now in regards to the cap, so I'll leave that to some of you to speculate.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
I agree to an extent, but it I wouldn't put anything past Sidney Crosby. He is the best player in the world and if anyone can be ready to jump into a playoff game cold, it's him. As long as the doctors and coaches are comfortable with it, then I have no doubt Sid will perform.
It just seems so risky to me. You can't simulate the intensity of playoff games with practice. The closest Sid could come is by playing in a regular season game.

I mean I'm no doctor and the doctors know best, I'm sure, but from a layman's standpoint I just don't see how you can simulate the physicality and intensity of playoff hockey and because I don't see a way to do that I don't see how they can even know that Sid would be ready for the force of playoff collisions.

But again, I'm no doctor and it's out of my hands and I'm sure they know what's best. I just hope hope hope everyone involved is being as honest as they can be about the situation.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
TheWizardOfCros

Quote:

But after thinking about this more, it's win/win. Either he comes back early and we get to see him on the ice again which is awesome, or they rest him and he doesn't come back until next season and maybe that long rest does him good. So there are positives to take out of this no matter what direction they go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7reM...eature=related

u wanna win, put sid in

Old
03-30-2011, 04:34 PM
Snipsnap12

Flyers fan here, I didnt take the time to read what everyones thoughts were, but obviously crosby is now skating with the team, but not taking party physically. I would assume he would need at least a week or two of practice with contact to even think about being cleared for games.

I will say this, throwing him back into the playoffs where we all know physicality is leaps and bounds above the regular season might not be in the best interest. As sad as it is there will be players on teams that will take runs at him(doesnt have to be dirty) to help a team win a playoff series.

Just be careful with your star..... flyers learned that the hard way with #88

As much as I despise crosby I realize he is important to the game and he is a great player...dont want to see it wasted

Old
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Stad
@Crosby2Perron

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
I'm really just not buying into anything that comes from the media anymore. There have been so many contradicting stories throughout this whol ordeal that it's gotten flat out ridiculous. Personally, I don't think Sid would've been out on the ice in rather intense on-ice workouts over the last couple of weeks if he was still experiencing "symptoms". I also don't think he'd be INCREASING the length and intensity of these workouts progressively either. Lastly, why on earth would he travel with the team and participate in team practice if he was still feeling a little out of it? Very little of this makes sense, so I'm just gonna take comfort in the videos we've been seeing of Sid on the ice for the time being.
This

Something just isn't adding up.

Old
03-30-2011, 04:58 PM
Rakunitz23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKnYELLOW66 View Post
I'm really just not buying into anything that comes from the media anymore. There have been so many contradicting stories throughout this whol ordeal that it's gotten flat out ridiculous. Personally, I don't think Sid would've been out on the ice in rather intense on-ice workouts over the last couple of weeks if he was still experiencing "symptoms". I also don't think he'd be INCREASING the length and intensity of these workouts progressively either. Lastly, why on earth would he travel with the team and participate in team practice if he was still feeling a little out of it? Very little of this makes sense, so I'm just gonna take comfort in the videos we've been seeing of Sid on the ice for the time being.
There's no reason to ever believe the media. TSN is garbage following the deadline. Rob Rossi is always a moron. We all know, and have read multiple times I'm sure, that if he gets symptoms at any point in recovery, he goes back to step 1. He is not going back to step 1. In fact, I seriously think the team is adding an additional step to make it take longer. I think they separated skating on his own, and practicing with the team, to add the additional step. I don't really know what skating with people on the ice, compared to skating alone, has anything to do with it but w/e.

No matter what, we're gonna see 87 in a game this season. That's what needs to be taken from all of this

Old
03-30-2011, 05:12 PM
Sideline

vCash: 754
Can one of you guys that twitters ask Capgeek if it's even possible for the Pens to bring back Crosby's contract before the playoffs? I wonder how all the post deadline injuries affected the cap situation.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:23 PM
Dread Pirate Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45flight View Post
Uh, it's not like he's never played in the playoffs before. He knows exactly what it will mean. If he comes back, I can say with absolute certainty he will be ready.
Knowing exactly what something means and being able to execute are two different things.

Usain Bolt used to run long sprints. He knows what it means to run a 400 meter race. It's the hardest thing sprinters do. And Usain Bolt is the best sprinter on the planet.

That doesn't mean Usain Bolt could go straight from offseason shape to running a quality race-intensity 400 in a good time. He'd do something to his hamstring and never be quite right again.

How long has it been since Sid played any hockey at all, and you want to ask him to play playoff hockey?

Old
03-30-2011, 05:36 PM
froods
Millerrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg26 View Post
I just had the chance to watch the video of it and I interpreted the video slightly different than the transcript. You really get a sense in the video that Shero just doesn't want any speculation about Crosby.
this, TSN is making it sound like he won't come back. When you watch it, Shero is just preparing everybody in case he doesn't come back.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Dinfire

My take:

1. He's not having symptoms.

2. The Pens probably can't win the cup even with him in the lineup.

3. He probably shouldn't play until next season.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:49 PM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinfire View Post
My take:

I don't understand how anyone can say the Pens can't win the cup with him in the lineup. There seriously aren't any better teams in the league if Sids in the lineup.

Shero is just doing the usual protecting Sid thing. IF...and a big IF Sid does happen to have concussion symptoms after contact. That's all hes doing.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:50 PM
WickedWrister

Quote:
My take:

do not understand

Old
03-30-2011, 05:56 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Paddy View Post
They may well make a contingency plan for if sid isn't back....but the only thing foolish in this situation would be to not account at all for if sid is back.

There is no way in hell that a team is just going to completely overlook that possibility. It's foolish to be unprepared.

In any case....let's just wait another day or two for some more info before we go on speculating back and forth. Some here think a regular season return is unlikely or in question; I, on the other hand, think the pens office is doing a terrible job trying to hide their cards (like it matters anyways ) and that Sid is right on track, will be practicing with the team and will return in the regular season. So far, everything is unfolding exactly as a few of us have speculated. SirBrad, i know you're with me.

Definitely agree. He's traveling with the team so he can begin ramping up his practices with them - that's kind of what I believe. Anyhow, you're right - wait this out about 2 days and I think we'll have some good news. I truly believe he'll be back in the regular season, if not just for the final game against Atlanta. Maybe there really is a concern about playing him against the Islanders - only the Pens front office knows this for sure, and there is no way they'd ever admit it.

Old
03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
cashisking

Quote:
Shero's comments really are incredibly deflating. I hope he's just tempering expectations, but saying flat out that Sid won't play again in the regular season makes me really feel like we probably won't see him in the playoffs either.
I was really pumped this morning when I read Rossi's tweets about Sid. Then as the day went on the news got worse and worse from Shero and now tonight I read that Dreger says he still has symptoms. Its like something out of a bad movie with the plot moving along slowly. Where's the happy ending at ??

By the way Rossi trying to save face tonight with his tweets after Shero came out with his comments was funny stuff.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
TopShelfGoal

Quote:
My take:
1. He's not having symptoms. <---- True

2. The Pens probably can't win the cup even with him in the lineup. <---What?

3. He probably shouldn't play until next season. <-----Maybe

My take

Old
03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
cashisking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Knowing exactly what something means and being able to execute are two different things.

Usain Bolt used to run long sprints. He knows what it means to run a 400 meter race. It's the hardest thing sprinters do. And Usain Bolt is the best sprinter on the planet.

That doesn't mean Usain Bolt could go straight from offseason shape to running a quality race-intensity 400 in a good time. He'd do something to his hamstring and never be quite right again.

How long has it been since Sid played any hockey at all, and you want to ask him to play playoff hockey?
I said pretty much the same thing a week ago and got blasted for it. Playoff hockey is a different beast.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:02 PM
bradshaw06

Quote:
My take:

well thats like, your opinion man.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Cspeirs4

Imo, Rossi is telling the truth, if their being extra cautious why not clear him for morning skates for a few days then move to full practices (no contact), makes sense to me and leaves me optimistic so I'm going with that until I see otherwise

Old
03-30-2011, 06:20 PM
Biz Nasty
Cooke 4 Lady Byng

This whole situation has made it even more clear that there are so, so few good media types in this town when it comes to hockey and the Pens...anymore, I'll only listen to Rossi or Madden locally as they seem to be the voices of reason (yes, Madden) when it comes to Sid coming back. The rest were writing his obituary a month ago (as were we, for the most part)...then he starts working out and they start talking Stanley Cup...now we're back in Sid purgatory, if you will, because we still don't have anything set in stone, a lot of which can be attributed to the media whom have spread so many rumors and so much false hope that you just don't know what to believe.

While I love how fan-friendly the Pens are...perhaps the worst thing they could have done is provided the public with so much video of Sid's workouts. The more and more you see Sid in full gear breaking water bottles, your mind tells you that the kid could be back any day...however the whole recovery process gets lost in the enthusiasm and we forget about the "step" process. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think if they could do it again...Shero would have preferred any Sid update's come through him as it would have kept the speculation from running as wild as it has.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
HuskerTornado
Playoff Rum for Jobu

Watching him skate and make everyone look silly doing stick drills is fine and all, but we won't know where he's really at until he takes contact. Will his teammates want to hit him in practice? How will he react to a big hit? Will he play tentatively?

I'm very concerned over this.

Old
03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

It's amazing how even Shero gets misquoted here and elsewhere. A lot of this truly is on Rossi now that I read his headline and article. Sid has been cleared for morning game-day skates with the team, which is not the same thing as "cleared to practice" in the traditional sense (that is much more intense than a morning skate, to say nothing of contact). Either Rossi doesn't know the difference (making him unqualified to comment), or he does know it and intentionally left it vague to -what else- generate buzz about his story.

My Advice:

1) Go to the Pens site.

2) Watch "Shero on Crosby" through to the end and listen carefully.

Everything is answered that we're talking about. He's not close and you should not assume if he does the morning skate one day and no practice the next, that he's had a setback. He's got an off-ice routine as well and is NOT slated to practice every day (i.e. skate every day) as part of his recovery, nor has be been cleared for OFF-DAY practices with the team. Just morning skates.

Shero also explicitly states he does not believe Crosby will play in the regular season and points out that he is "certainly not close" to being game-ready for the level of play experienced in the playoffs. He also says "we're not even thinking about" [clearing him for contact].

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 03-30-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old
03-30-2011, 06:34 PM
Human
cynic

well,one thing is for sure,Dreger was wrong. Crosby is definitely symptom free if he's going to travel with the plane...

Old
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Dinfire

When the Penguins won the cup it wasn't Sid who was the difference maker. Zetterberg shut him down, which left Malkin to do the damage. Who do the Pens have now to pick up that slack? TK? I would have said Staal up until this season, but he's had a pretty underwhelming year when he's really had a chance to put his stamp on the team. Couple that with Sid likely being a little tentative or getting a smaller chunk of the ice time and I think it would take a miracle to hoist it this season. With or without Sid in the lineup, I can't see them beating any of the top teams in the west in a seven-game series. Of course, I hope they prove me wrong.

Closed Thread