HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

$400M Development Plan for Bell Centre area

Old
03-30-2011, 06:10 PM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
I hope we they put a legit sports bar / venue, Vegas style, with amazing food .. and not just some "super cage aux sport '' on crack which is prbly what will happen.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty hates Sergei View Post
Same here. Montreal's a pretty ugly city though and this is better than most of what's here.
You're from Europe, so I can't question your statement really. Montreal is alright by North American standards (I'd call it average or above average). The city is a bunch of refugee tents put together when compared to most European cities though. Note, I'm not questioning its vibe and culture, which I love. I'm talking strictly about design and architecture here.

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Zaide
I'm a renegade

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
All that's missing is the 35,000 seat baseball stadium for the Expos...
Would be nice to have a completely new Arena too, holding about 30,000 seats and being high tech everywhere. No worries, we'd have sellouts for every games anyway.

Zaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 06:48 PM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

I love the idea but destroying Centennial Plaze when there are so many large empty lots around the Bell Centre doesn't make sense to me.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

That that money and use it to build a baseball park....I want my Expos back!!!!!!!!

Any chance we find somebody in Montreal a little crazy, with the guys and the vision to bring baseball back? I know...just dreaming...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:12 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
If it was affordable I would live there.

Who's willing to bet that they're going to want something like 1500 a month for a 2 1/2

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 07:22 PM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

Big outdoor video screens? Nah. That's not for Montreal in my opinion, it's a Tokyo style mistake, get a couple up then the neighbors will erect bigger ones. I promise that 90% of the time they'll be running adverts. It's pollution posing as progress.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Bonin

Why do you guys think it would be so expensive? Condos just to the south or a bit more east aren't that expensive...

Bonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:09 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I don't know what to say.. but that looks just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

More homes is always a good thing, but I can only imagine the costs of that for owning or renting.. also, I don't know if I'd want to live in that place.. even if it looks amazing. The price is also incredibly high to build.

I also don't know if I like the idea ofPlaza being moved.

I wonder if that TV is going to be used to show Habs games?
Leafs fan here,

Cadillac Fairview is an OTPP company, who as you probably know, is the majority shareholder for the Leafs. They partnered with the Leafs in the Maple Leaf Square project and it was a massive success, so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that they would try to replicate it in Montreal (except our towers are taller).

The pricing could very well be similar to what they are charging at their property in Toronto. Starting from the low $200,000, up to $1 million.

All in all, nice to see Montreal getting some development. Vancouver and Calgary had a huge boom a short while ago, and Toronto is the hottest condominium market in North America. It's about time you joined the party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I hope we they put a legit sports bar / venue, Vegas style, with amazing food .. and not just some "super cage aux sport '' on crack which is prbly what will happen.
You ask and you may indeed receive. Richard Peddie, CEO of MLSE, let it slip in an interview a couple months ago that they are looking to expand the Real Sports restaurant. IIRC, he did mention Montreal. Just some speculation.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:11 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
With the development around the ACC in Toronto, I'm sure Molson Bros saw dollar signs too!

Makes sense to have venture investments outside such a hot spot in Toronto. Pretty majority of the players would buy condos there.
I didn't read the link but is Geoff Molson & Co involved in the project for sure?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by htpwn View Post

You ask and you may indeed receive. Richard Peddie, CEO of MLSE, let it slip in an interview a couple months ago that they are looking to expand the Real Sports restaurant. IIRC, he did mention Montreal. Just some speculation.
That's exactly what I'm talking about -- I had a feeling there could be a possibility for one since you guys got it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:09 PM
MoonlightGraham

I'm sure they won't demolish Centennial Plaza, they just sold hundreds of bricks and bought all the statues and plaques. It would make no sense to throw all of that away two years later. They'll either move it somewhere else or build around it.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:18 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
I love the idea but destroying Centennial Plaze when there are so many large empty lots around the Bell Centre doesn't make sense to me.
agreed, i remember reading articles about Mr Gillet buying a lot of properties around the Bell'

i miss him, now were stuck with a guy that dont respect the fans.

Team_Spirit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Montreal's a good city, but it's also an ugly city. There's nothing wrong with that.
Still in love with your trip buddy? I don't blame you at all. Montreal is a beautiful city though, I will say there are some fugly parts of montreal though. A lot of parts of downtown can use some reconstruction and more life, that's for sure.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:35 PM
Bieber fever

lol at the Giant TV , this will never work , specially that low

how much are the units ?

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Still in love with your trip buddy? I don't blame you at all. Montreal is a beautiful city though, I will say there are some fugly parts of montreal though. A lot of parts of downtown can use some reconstruction and more life, that's for sure.
If he takes a walk in the Plateau, his mind will be changed.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:19 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
If he takes a walk in the Plateau, his mind will be changed.
He probably has, but apart from certain locations around downtown montreal, there are also fugly areas. Personally, it feels very 'average' in a lot of areas downtown. I dunno, it's just a matter of opinion, but there's little extra mystique IMO. If they want to culturize an area, give it a vibe like what the old port is, then yes, I would be all for it, but a lot of areas lack any personality. I wish we had taller buildings, and some reconstructed areas. Some areas are dumps and can easily be improved IMO.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:56 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLcrazy View Post
All that's missing is the 35,000 seat baseball stadium for the Expos...
yea where all these money people for a baseball statium?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:21 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonin View Post
Why do you guys think it would be so expensive? Condos just to the south or a bit more east aren't that expensive...
how far out east? unless u getting 600 sq ft, condos downtown are in the 300k range. usually 350-500$ a sq foot depending on quality

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:26 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
He probably has, but apart from certain locations around downtown montreal, there are also fugly areas. Personally, it feels very 'average' in a lot of areas downtown. I dunno, it's just a matter of opinion, but there's little extra mystique IMO. If they want to culturize an area, give it a vibe like what the old port is, then yes, I would be all for it, but a lot of areas lack any personality. I wish we had taller buildings, and some reconstructed areas. Some areas are dumps and can easily be improved IMO.
It's simple. Don't go downtown if you want to see the beauty of Montreal.

Central downtown = strip club haven
Far east downtown = Hell's Angels and Nazi gangs
Far west downtown = Plain and ugly

If you want to shop, and eat then downtown is a nice place to go. Otherwise, it's rather meh and I don't really go. But the nice sectors make up for it. Of course, when you take a trip somewhere and you get caught up in the beauty of it, you think back to Montreal and remember just the ugliness, and it blinds your judgement.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:19 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Montreal's a good city, but it's also an ugly city. There's nothing wrong with that.
Montreal is a great city and not at all ugly. Every city has areas they wish they could renew but that takes time. urban renewal is a process that takes time. Those areas that need to be revamped like Griffintown will add to the overall look and feel of the city without the tall buildings that other cities are known for. That's why the city has laws against buildings taller than the mountain so as to not obstruct the view of it.

I think the view of Montreal from the south shore or Ile Notre Dame in the summer watching Formula 1 is phenomenal. There are too many beautiful things in Montreal to call it ugly. My Swiss buddy, who has traveled extensively throughout Europe loves Montreal and can't say enough good things about it. Never once did he say it was ugly.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 06:24 AM
macavoy

I read all of the links and I never seen the Molson's mentioned. Does anyone know if they are involved, did he receive any property along with the Bell Centre?

Does he own centenial plaza?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
BergyMeister
Overpaid Grinder

Quote:
Same here. Montreal's a pretty ugly city though and this is better than most of what's here.
LOL What?
Detroit ...now thats an ugly city. I actually think Montreal is a nice city compared to some others I have been to. Of course it would have been even nicer if it could have gotten the Baseball stadium/field built and kept the Expos ....but I digress.

(( I grew up about an hour outside of Montreal BTW))

Last edited by BergyMeister: 03-31-2011 at 10:19 AM.
BergyMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RushDP View Post
Montreal is a great city and not at all ugly. Every city has areas they wish they could renew but that takes time. urban renewal is a process that takes time. Those areas that need to be revamped like Griffintown will add to the overall look and feel of the city without the tall buildings that other cities are known for. That's why the city has laws against buildings taller than the mountain so as to not obstruct the view of it.

I think the view of Montreal from the south shore or Ile Notre Dame in the summer watching Formula 1 is phenomenal. There are too many beautiful things in Montreal to call it ugly. My Swiss buddy, who has traveled extensively throughout Europe loves Montreal and can't say enough good things about it. Never once did he say it was ugly.
You've never seen beauty my friend, and are too easily impressed by the many shades of grey.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:11 PM
Rushin Joo

Send a message via MSN to Rushin Joo
Quote:
You've never seen beauty my friend, and are too easily impressed by the many shades of grey.
Oh get off your high horse already mister I've seen real beauty.

Montreal may have some crappy infrastructure and run-down areas (like any other city in the world) but in NA, its widely considered one of the prettiest cities. Europe is Europe, and has its own very ugly areas that you probably wouldn't want us to see.

The ghettos that exist in cities like Budapest, Rotterdam even Paris and Rome make our worst areas look like beverly hills.

Rushin Joo is offline   Reply With Quote