HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#77: Thrashers @ Flyers - Thursday, Mar. 31, 2011 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
04-01-2011, 04:31 AM
MiD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
I'm at odds with my inner self. I want to say something derogatory (probably too strong a word), yet I find myself entranced and kind of enjoying your refusal to use articles.

Hopefully, I'm not offending one of our "across the pond" brethren.
not at all...

Last edited by MiD: 04-01-2011 at 07:14 AM.
MiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 06:59 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Missing the net aside, I thought Carter was awful tonight. Lot of rink turns, seemed a step slow. There was a good shift in the third, that was about it.

D and Bob played really well. Can't really ask for more from them.

Also, the Carter and Briere missed opportunities....completely different. Briere was at a weird angle and had to come across his body. Should've lifted it, but you can see that he struggled to bring his stick around. Carter's was a chip shot and he couldn't get it done.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Doyle

The Philadelphia Flyers set a franchise record with their 25th road win on Tuesday night in Pittsburgh. With a 25-9-4 record away from the Wells Fargo Center, only the Vancouver Canucks mark of 26-9-4 is better in the entire NHL. But a very disturbing trend continued for Philadelphia, and that is their play at home.

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-distur...n-43-save-gem/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:46 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

I said this the other night and he ended up scoring in the Pens game so it shut me up a bit. But here we are again. What everyone is failing to see is what teams Carter scores against. Look at his game log. I said it the other night, he has big nights and beats up on inferior teams, routinely. Against top, playoff teams you RARELY see Carter step up.

I think we should drop the semantics argument of WHEN he scores these 3rd period goals and look more at strength of competition. He's nowhere to be found in big games. Take a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...Q4Va5gIgZivLYF

Crescent Street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crescent Street View Post
I said this the other night and he ended up scoring in the Pens game so it shut me up a bit. But here we are again. What everyone is failing to see is what teams Carter scores against. Look at his game log. I said it the other night, he has big nights and beats up on inferior teams, routinely. Against top, playoff teams you RARELY see Carter step up.

I think we should drop the semantics argument of WHEN he scores these 3rd period goals and look more at strength of competition. He's nowhere to be found in big games. Take a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...Q4Va5gIgZivLYF
Filpadelphia or whatever his name is, is spot on in his analysis. Carter is NOT the guy you want with the puck in a dire situation. He's almost an automatic goof. Give me some Danny B ANY ****ing day when we need a big goal. He's there time and time again. The times he goofs are FAR and FEW between.

Old
04-01-2011, 09:15 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Carter plays a good game but hits the post when he has a chance to tie at the end of the game. Is it still a good game?

If I have a good day where nearly everything went right and right before I go to sleep I **** the bed. Is it still a good day?

The answer: maybe
Agreed...Carter's post stood out to me too. Not that a 60 minute game should rely on one player NOT hitting a post to tie it up BUT, at the same time, you have to make those kind of shots.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:22 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Filpadelphia or whatever his name is, is spot on in his analysis. Carter is NOT the guy you want with the puck in a dire situation. He's almost an automatic goof. Give me some Danny B ANY ****ing day when we need a big goal. He's there time and time again. The times he goofs are FAR and FEW between.
Where has Briere been since the all star break? For that matter, where has Giroux been? Not only are they not scoring much but they've been horrible defensively. JvR has had games of dominance but they're few and far between. The only one scoring regularly is Carter.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Where has Briere been since the all star break? For that matter, where has Giroux been? Not only are they not scoring much but they've been horrible defensively. JvR has had games of dominance but they're few and far between. The only one scoring regularly is Carter.
Well if everyone on the team took as many shots as Carter did, they would all have 30+ goals...not to mention if you subtracted Carter's empty net goals, he would have the same if not less goals than Briere.

I can't wait til everyone who talks down on Briere starts sweating him come playoff time.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:38 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Not everyone takes as many shots as Carter, because they don't get themselves in position to take those shots. It's not as easy as "just get more shots on net"

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 09:45 AM
cupfailure713

In Carter's defense, it looks like he whacked the puck in mid air and it was knuckling as he did it. Kind of more difficult to control the shot when that happens. Probably should've turned his wrists over on the follow through instead of just swatting at the puck.

cupfailure713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom
2) 0-5 on the PP tonight which has been less than "clutch" all year.....

* This will not go well come playoffs and will probably be their undoing.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
It's not like the other teams are any better at it.

BOS 16.6%
PHI 16.5%
WSH 16.2%
PIT 15.4%
Do you do inflation stats for the US Gov't? You know..the ole let's leave food and energy out of the CPI..or when one product goes up you replace it with one that is lower?

So where is Tampa (21.8%), Mont (19.2%) and Rangers (19.6 %), Buffalo (21.6%) or even Carolina (18.3%)? Guess we won't have to face any of them!

Edit: PP% above is actually at home (just noticed!)...overall % is as follows

Tampa 20.6%
Mont 19.1%
Rangers 17.2%
Buffalo 18.8%
Carolina 16%

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 04-01-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: erroneous data
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:23 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Do you do inflation stats for the US Gov't? You know..the ole let's leave food and energy out of the CPI..or when one product goes up you replace it with one that is lower?

So where is Tampa (21.8%), Mont (19.2%) and Rangers (19.6 %), Buffalo (21.6%) or even Carolina (18.3%)? Guess we won't have to face any of them!
I couldn't care less about the PP% of teams who should be easily disposed of come playoff time. None of those teams is a Cup contender. Washington, Boston, and Pittsburgh are.
If the Flyers lose to Buffalo because of the lack of PP efficiency then God help us all.

According to your logic none of the East's top 4 teams should make it to the Conference Final.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
MsWoof

I wish people would scrutinize Briere, Leino, Giroux, Versteeg as much as they do Carter. I think you'd be shocked and horrified by a great deal of what they do wrong.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
I couldn't care less about the PP% of teams who should be easily disposed of come playoff time. None of those teams is a Cup contender. Washington, Boston, and Pittsburgh are.
If the Flyers lose to Buffalo because of the lack of PP efficiency then God help us all.
What makes them easily disposable? First lesson of war..never underestimate your adversary.

It's a clean slate come playoff time and the PP is a key component in having success in the playoffs b/c 5 on 5 it becomes much more difficult and it's a game of inches. One crucial mistake like a short side goal will cost you the game and if you don't take advantage of PP in the playoffs you are playing with fire...

You couldn't care less...that is fine..I do care...and a lot of other will probably agree

Old
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:

According to your logic none of the East's top 4 teams should make it to the Conference Final.
Montreal wasn't supposed to be a Cup contender last year...but they made it to the Conference Finals. Why? Defense.

Guess how Washington's PP did in the playoffs last year. Horribly. They didn't click, and Montreal's defense shut the door. We should be equally worried about all 7 teams...any of them can beat us, just like we can beat any of them.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:41 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
BTW remind me where the Flyers were last year in seeding and how far they got? Logic?

Old
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Montreal wasn't supposed to be a Cup contender last year...but they made it to the Conference Finals. Why? Defense.

Guess how Washington's PP did in the playoffs last year. Horribly. They didn't click, and Montreal's defense shut the door. We should be equally worried about all 7 teams...any of them can beat us, just like we can beat any of them.
Yeah, his name was Halak dude. Not defense.

I hate so many of you.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Flyrs21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I left out his lockout numbers...where he put up less than a PPG in a Swiss league. He isn't a PPG player until his 95 point season. It took him 5 years to get to that point. 10 years if you include his time trying to move up through the AHL. Carter has been playing for a far shorter amount of time.

So, can we just give the kid a little time to grow up?

According to other posts on this board, a players peaks when he is 26. Carter is 26 so....... I guess it's all down hill from here

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post

I hate so many of you.
AND team defense. MTL had some ridiculous blocked shot totals in that series.

Old
04-01-2011, 10:48 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post

I hate so many of you.
Halak played out of his mind but Montreal's defense was also strong in the first couple of series. Their D men blocked a lot of shots etc. It wasn't necessarily all Halak although he did steal games something not sure we have let alone the PP...

Old
04-01-2011, 10:49 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
AND team defense. MTL had some ridiculous blocked shot totals in that series.
Yup...

Old
04-01-2011, 11:04 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrs21 View Post
According to other posts on this board, a players peaks when he is 26. Carter is 26 so....... I guess it's all down hill from here
"Give the kid some time."

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Beef, Carter has so many shots on goal, because he shoots from everywhere on the ice. Not because he "gets into position to shoot more". His wrist shots from the blue line drive me ****ing crazy.

Is a wrist shot from the blueline a "good" shot?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Beef, Carter has so many shots on goal, because he shoots from everywhere on the ice. Not because he "gets into position to shoot more". His wrist shots from the blue line drive me ****ing crazy.

Is a wrist shot from the blueline a "good" shot?
Or the shot from the goal line on the right side, every time that does NOTHING.

Old
04-01-2011, 11:18 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Or the shot from the goal line on the right side, every time that does NOTHING.
On the scoreboard ..yes not much. On Carter's individual stat sheet (shots) it does something I suppose....