HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Changes may be coming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
  #26
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Mac Jr comes off sounding like a ******.
Not quite sure what you were getting at here, but he just seemed like his patience is coming to an end and that he was was more in a sideline role before.

That's not to say that I feel others got a different opinion are wrong, as we're dissecting a few sentences. But it's nice to hear ownership message from ownership and not Priest. Personally it felt like Priest was hedging what JPM said. But there just wasn't enough of the interview(s) to get a good feel.

The main thing is that they've positioned themselves for changes this off season, which means, if nothing else, there should be a reason to stay tuned other then the draft.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:27 AM
  #27
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Interesting article. What's interesting is that Howson has had an opportunity to make changes at the level that were discussed and/or hinted at since he got here. I like the hint from JPM that they have some ideas in mind on the financial side (another minority owner, or what have you). Hopefully he will be more visibly engaged.

Very small glimmer of hope. But, obviously, we have to see what the action(s) will be.
Yeah, small but glimmering, nonetheless. I will choose to wait and see what they actually do, rather than be disappointed in advance. Additional money from outside and, perhaps, another voice for greater urgency in building a winner could be significant.

Many here have berated the scouting staff and, now that they are talking about changing it up, are discounting it as "scapegoating." Interesting. As for new voices, the coaching staff certainly has now had a chance to form their opinions of the existing talent and I doubt if they like much of what they've seen. We've clearly seen that Arniel isn't reluctant to make his feelings known in public, so I can only imagine how strongly he states them, in private! There should also be a new goalie coach (and, hopefully, a new goalie or two!), which may help.

As for the front office advisor that was mentioned, I like the suggestion (Arace?) of Dave King. Extensive experience, vast network of contacts, and first-hand knowledge of the market could all be invaluable to Howson. I think the addition of such an outside "expert" could be useful to any objective review of the CBJ system, top to bottom.

CapCorn is right, talk's cheap and we're all desparate for results. Assuming nothing will happen is just as cheap as assuming all will be sunshine for next season. Promises won't get it, we need to see wins, and lots of them. I'll assume nothing and judge the actions of management as we see them. If there is no significant change to the roster or identifiable progress in the team before camp opens, I'll be *****ing right along with the rest of you.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:35 AM
  #28
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Not quite sure what you were getting at here, but he just seemed like his patience is coming to an end and that he was was more in a sideline role before.

That's not to say that I feel others got a different opinion are wrong, as we're dissecting a few sentences. But it's nice to hear ownership message from ownership and not Priest. Personally it felt like Priest was hedging what JPM said. But there just wasn't enough of the interview(s) to get a good feel.

The main thing is that they've positioned themselves for changes this off season, which means, if nothing else, there should be a reason to stay tuned other then the draft.
You're right. I was just a bit put off by what I interpreted as "well, now I'm gonna get involved and things are gonna get DONE!" - which may, of course, be accurate.

__________________
"Every game, every point is a necessity." -- Ty Conklin, January 2007
"I'll have a chance to compete for the post of first issue. This is the most important thing." -- Sergei Bobrovsky, June 2012
Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:36 AM
  #29
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Pete, even if you change the scouting staff, that will not have much of an effect at the NHL level for a minimum of 2 years, probably more. Changing the scouting staff will have no effect on 2011-2012 or 2012-2013. It just does not do anything to change the dynamics at the NHL level except in the long term.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
  #30
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
We can probably improve our scouting staff, but it feels like we're flailing around wildly if we just do a mass turnover. We are drafting better. Seems to be average, at a minimum, at the NHL level over the last 3 or 4 years.

The self analysis should have been done all along. Maybe it has been going on, but if it has I'm trying to figure out who is doing it.

We don't need someone to "oversee" Howson, but we do need someone else at a high enough level without any history of baggage with this franchise for a true sanity check.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:41 AM
  #31
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
You're right. I was just a bit put off by what I interpreted as "well, now I'm gonna get involved and things are gonna get DONE!" - which may, of course, be accurate.
I can see that view. I'm unusually relieved, in my previous jobs, when someone of a substantial level steps in when things aren't going well. It usually gets everyone on the same page, even if it's the wrong direction. When things aren't going well, there tends to be a lot of finger points and CYA. You need someone to stop that and move (most) everyone in the same direction or find someone that can.

Obviously it doesn't help if that person is incompetent, but I'd rather see this action then what we've seen in the past.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 08:45 AM
  #32
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Pete, even if you change the scouting staff, that will not have much of an effect at the NHL level for a minimum of 2 years, probably more. Changing the scouting staff will have no effect on 2011-2012 or 2012-2013. It just does not do anything to change the dynamics at the NHL level except in the long term.
Yes, but this level of self analysis needs to be done. You should always have short term and long term goals. Scouting addresses long term (partially), we'll see what they do for short term.

The interesting thing is that these things could be driving Howson back into a bit of a hole. As I mentioned before, he's had a chance to address some of these things. If ownership is driving, that probably doesn't speak highly of their view of Howson's job.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:10 AM
  #33
Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,946
vCash: 500
My take is the last couple of years have been rough on Worthington Industries and that has taken up most of Junior's time. Looks like the business has settled down and back on track, which now gives him time to turn his attention to the Jackets. The guy may not have been a hockey player but the did play sports, just as his father did. He has management skills and this is what is needed to get the entire operation going in the right direction. If he needs advise, he will seek it and not necessarily from someone in the organization

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:13 AM
  #34
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Seems a lot of people here rely on Santa to deliver gifts to their kids on Christmas.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:16 AM
  #35
cbjgirl
Just thinking
 
cbjgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
My take is the last couple of years have been rough on Worthington Industries and that has taken up most of Junior's time. Looks like the business has settled down and back on track, which now gives him time to turn his attention to the Jackets. The guy may not have been a hockey player but the did play sports, just as his father did. He has management skills and this is what is needed to get the entire operation going in the right direction. If he needs advise, he will seek it and not necessarily from someone in the organization
This is almost exactly what I was thinking. McConnell's death occurred just about the same time the economy went in the crapper. Goal one for McConnell (as it should have been) would be to stabilize the "core business" - Worthington Industries. That seems to have happened.

Now it is time to look at the secondary businesses the family is involved with and get those fixed as well.

It is also hard to judge from the outside how much his self-stated depression played into things as well.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:17 AM
  #36
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Pete, even if you change the scouting staff, that will not have much of an effect at the NHL level for a minimum of 2 years, probably more. Changing the scouting staff will have no effect on 2011-2012 or 2012-2013. It just does not do anything to change the dynamics at the NHL level except in the long term.
I hear you, EDM, and partly agree - scouting for the draft will have minimum effect on next season. On the other hand, scouting is not limited to finding draft picks. There are also scouts who are searching for Euro talent, college free agents, and undrafted Juniors, as well as scouts who evaluate potential talent that might become available from other organizations, both at the NHL level and below. New eyes on those tasks might also help improve the CBJ organization on all levels.

It's not the answer to all our problems, of course, but it might have some impact. Positive or negative? Who knows?

I agree, too, with bb - the very visible entry of Mac Jr. in this way can have a major motivational impact and give new impetus toward putting a competetive product on the ice. Might not, too. I'll judge results in the off-season and on the ice, rather than fall back on the failures of the past to predict the course of the future.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:19 AM
  #37
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Seems a lot of people here rely on Santa to deliver gifts to their kids on Christmas.
I would expect your kids get coal dust from Daddy Grumpus.

Lighten up, it must be Spring somewhere!

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:25 AM
  #38
cbjgirl
Just thinking
 
cbjgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: about last summer.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,344
vCash: 500
If anyone cares about the Worthington Industries side of things...

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External...xUeXBlPTM=&t=1

page 2

coupled with:

http://ir.worthingtonindustries.com/...cle&id=1477390

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:31 AM
  #39
Double-Shift Lassť
Moderator
Just post better
 
Double-Shift Lassť's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Semirural Cbus
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I can see that view. I'm unusually relieved, in my previous jobs, when someone of a substantial level steps in when things aren't going well. It usually gets everyone on the same page, even if it's the wrong direction. When things aren't going well, there tends to be a lot of finger points and CYA. You need someone to stop that and move (most) everyone in the same direction or find someone that can.

Obviously it doesn't help if that person is incompetent, but I'd rather see this action then what we've seen in the past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
My take is the last couple of years have been rough on Worthington Industries and that has taken up most of Junior's time. Looks like the business has settled down and back on track, which now gives him time to turn his attention to the Jackets. The guy may not have been a hockey player but the did play sports, just as his father did. He has management skills and this is what is needed to get the entire operation going in the right direction. If he needs advise, he will seek it and not necessarily from someone in the organization
I'm comfortable with both of these takes - goes a ways in mitigating my initial reaction.

Double-Shift Lassť is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:43 AM
  #40
jktsfan*
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Thornville, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
I worked for a very brief time on a project that involved Mike Priest. He was great to work with but alas, he is a CPA and not necessarily a good fit for running a major sports franchise. Shake-ups can go both ways - good and bad. I hope for the fans' sake that this one happens and is the genesis for great improvement.

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:48 AM
  #41
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Many here have berated the scouting staff and, now that they are talking about changing it up, are discounting it as "scapegoating." Interesting. As for new voices, the coaching staff certainly has now had a chance to form their opinions of the existing talent and I doubt if they like much of what they've seen. We've clearly seen that Arniel isn't reluctant to make his feelings known in public, so I can only imagine how strongly he states them, in private! There should also be a new goalie coach (and, hopefully, a new goalie or two!), which may help.
Let's not forget the history here. We were told that on Day 1 Howson was given the ability to fire the scouts. The same scouts that have been here since Year 1, for the most part. He chose to retain them all. For 4 years.

If this guy isn't doing a thorough annual review of his staff every year, it again begs the question about how good of a GM he is. If, more likely, he is reviewing these guys regularly, why suddenly announce it other than to appease the fan base?

Each Jackets PR release sounds like an abusive spouse saying "But, baby, I've changed!"

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:58 AM
  #42
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Seems a lot of people here rely on Santa to deliver gifts to their kids on Christmas.
I don't even know what these means. Everyone is curious, there are no expectations. Your attempted insult was a wild swing and a miss.

This is what "we" complained about. An inactive owner. Since we probably aren't going to get a new majority owner, this is a move in the direction that people were asking for. An owner that might care.

Figure out what you want, that's in the realm of realistic and get back to us. If you spew you want to spend to the Cap, you're just banging your head against a wall. This is better then what we faced last off season. Doesn't mean something good will happen, but it's, most likely, better then the status quo. At least it's might not be more of the same.

Take it for what it is, get your expectations in check, and wait and see what this really means.


Last edited by blahblah: 03-31-2011 at 10:12 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:03 AM
  #43
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
Each Jackets PR release sounds like an abusive spouse saying "But, baby, I've changed!"
The only reason this one is different is who is delivering the message. If "this" fails, whatever "this" is, there is no one else to go to.

The curtain is pulled.... We get to see who is revealed.

There is really no point harping on our past history, we simply have to wait for a few months and judge the results for ourselves. JPM was either very hands off or he wasn't. We are either going to make the same type of mistakes or we move in another direction. Which would then lead us to an area of unknowns. Unknown is probably better then what we do know.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:13 AM
  #44
EDM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,453
vCash: 500
Well, since you do not know what it means, how do you know it is an insult?

But let me interpret it for you: Santa is a myth (I am sorry if you are shocked by that). Thus, people who rely upon a myth to deliver gifts to them tend to get nothing. Now, to break it down a little more for you, the idea that the current management group is actually going to do something different than it has previously done is a myth. Finally, while the original post was not intended as an insult, to a certain extent, this one is.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
  #45
cbjrocks
Registered User
 
cbjrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 900
vCash: 500
As Michael Jackson would say---




The problem has been and always will be with the ownership group.

cbjrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:19 AM
  #46
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Well, since you do not know what it means, how do you know it is an insult?
It was easy to tell it was condescending, even if I wanted clarification.

Quote:
But let me interpret it for you: Santa is a myth (I am sorry if you are shocked by that). Thus, people who rely upon a myth to deliver gifts to them tend to get nothing. Now, to break it down a little more for you, the idea that the current management group is actually going to do something different than it has previously done is a myth. Finally, while the original post was not intended as an insult, to a certain extent, this one is.
Yep, condescending. Oh don't worry it doesn't bother me. One reason is because what you are saying is crap in this context. Hence the swing at the miss.

The "difference" is who is talking and what they are saying. There are no expectations he's going to follow through. The only positive, so far, is that he's speaking and making suggestions that hint on promises.

Sit back and watch and see what happens, then you can ***** and moan if you don't like the results. Even if the odds are low, I give people the benefit of the doubt until there is actual reason to not take them at their word. Since I'm not expecting a different result, you've got nothing.


Last edited by blahblah: 03-31-2011 at 10:25 AM.
blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
  #47
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 17,326
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjrocks View Post
The problem has been and always will be with the ownership group.
Who cares. Whenever someone says "The problem", I have to laugh. There is no magic bullet root cause to something this complex. You haven't even identified what "the problem" even is.

You can blame them for everything since, ultimately, they are responsible. However, there are successful franchises will different and varying degrees of success with different levels of understanding of running a sports franchise.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
  #48
Whatthehellwasthat
I am defense
 
Whatthehellwasthat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Columbus
Country: United States
Posts: 107
vCash: 500
Has anyone been watching this year the new owner was mentioned in a couple news articles as congratulating the team after a hard fought victory in person and these were away games.
I also find it interesting that he mentions his frustration as being at the same level as the fans. Perhaps he became a fan of hockey. We shall see.
I know I'll be accussed of expecting to see a unicorn crap the stanley cup at nationwaide and thats fine. Hate away but thats my hope from what I have read.

Whatthehellwasthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
  #49
joshjoshjosh
ಠ_ಠ
 
joshjoshjosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Guam
Country: Eritrea
Posts: 2,300
vCash: 500
Seems like a good time for a Dave Brubeck plug


joshjoshjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:53 AM
  #50
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
And then there are the players. Last summer's decision to keep the roster intact after a 14th-place finish in the Western Conference proved to be a mistake. It won't be repeated.
Umm...yeah.

If GMSH comes to training camp with the same roster, he deserves a ticket to the unemployment line. I'll get him an application for a job at Citgo.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.