HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

our bottom 6 who should we target?

Old
03-31-2011, 07:08 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

vCash: 500
our bottom 6 who should we target?

We need a top line center everybody knows this but our bottom 6 could use some work to besides Brown and Armstrong there are certinly some question marks.

I have a list of few guys I wouldn't mind seeing in our bottom 6.

Scottie Upshall- at 27 he's the perfect age for this team he's fast and he has some skill scoring 20 goals this year it's not a 1 time thing either has he had 18 in 49 games last year so you know he would have EASILY had that without being hurt put him with Armstrong and you have the makings of nice 3rd line.

Mike Ryder- Knows what it's like to be a top 6 guy has 25 or more goals 4 times, could add 20 goals easy to the 3rd line and if a top 6 winger goes down he can easily fill in he'd provide us great depth.

Brooks Laich- 27 years old, has the abilty to play center or LW and has good size at 6-2 200lbs has scored 20 or more goals 3 times so he has some offensive skill what the fact that he can play center or wing is what makes me want to targeti him I like the thought of Laich and Armstrong on the same line. Also if he played center he'd bring a little more size then Bozak which is something I like in a checking line gu but he wouldn't have to cause like I said he can also play LW and be effective.

Chad Larose- the Least offensive skilled guy of the group but the 28 year old has a lot of speed and will work as hard as anybody never quits

Handzus I know this guy is old but we don't have many vets ont the team in fact once giggy is gone we won't have any so I see no issue with brining him in 5 20+ goal seasons and at 6-4 and 216 pounds I would HATE to play against a line with him and armstrong on it.

Always been a fan of the guy I would LOVE to see burke sign him Maybe he can mentor Bozak into the role of a #3 center.

thats my UFA list not sure who my trade list would include except maybe Stve Ott or Dan Carcilo those guys are real pests and if we could put one of them on a line with armstrong that would piss A LOT of teams off

what about you who would you taget to help the bottom 6? because I think we still have some holes there,

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 07:23 AM
Vexxed14

Upshall
Laich
Glencross

Any two of those 3

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Loso

Handzus

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:26 AM
jmart21
MISC!!!

When Versteeg was put on the 3rd line by default, he played well but it was tough to justify having him there with Army already making 3M on the line. Wouldn't Upshall cost about the same (3M +/-)? Wouldn't we be back in the same boat?

I like Upshall, but with Army making 3M on the other wing, i'd prefer an option thats in the 2M neighbourhood.

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Upshall.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
When Versteeg was put on the 3rd line by default, he played well but it was tough to justify having him there with Army already making 3M on the line. Wouldn't Upshall cost about the same (3M +/-)? Wouldn't we be back in the same boat?

I like Upshall, but with Army making 3M on the other wing, i'd prefer an option thats in the 2M neighbourhood.
I think the price is ok and was with versteeg too. The issue was more about the role being filled and the type of player filling it. Upshall at 3M(which could be a little less) > Versteeg at 3M in a checking line role imo.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 09:53 AM
Rinzler

Nobody, I'd rather we use what we have and ensure that we can sign our young players now and for the future.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:07 AM
RusskiyHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Upshall
Laich
Glencross

Any two of those 3
Even one of these should be enough to considerably boost the third line.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:11 AM
dannyboy8920
I cheer for Losers

Upshall-Bozak-Armstong
Rupp or Asham-Brent-Brown

Thats a ideal hardhat style bottom 6. With a potential for some of them to chip in offensively

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:15 AM
catgoldfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Nobody, I'd rather we use what we have and ensure that we can sign our young players now and for the future.
I would rather use the money to get a better 1st liner. Let's face it Kessel and Lupul seem to play well together but would rather use the money for the 1st liner. I love Crabb-Boyce-Kadri. Just leave that line intact for the beginning of next season as our 3rd line. No pressure for Kadri right now. The fourth line could use some work. I like Brent but would could find someone better. Brown has signed already. Not sure about Sjostrom.

catgoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
I would rather use the money to get a better 1st liner. Let's face it Kessel and Lupul seem to play well together but would rather use the money for the 1st liner. I love Crabb-Boyce-Kadri. Just leave that line intact for the beginning of next season as our 3rd line. No pressure for Kadri right now. The fourth line could use some work. I like Brent but would could find someone better. Brown has signed already. Not sure about Sjostrom.
I agree. #1c is the only slot we don't have a prospect for in the next few years. That is a position that takes experience, maturity and skill of which very few players have.

Colborne may very well be that guy. Kardi too, but I would say neither of them can jump into that role in their first couple of years, you gotta build up to it. Even if they have all of the tools to be the #1C.

We need a Free Agent in this scenario, a guy who can carry the load for the next several years such that when he's ready to move on, our young mid 20's now veteran players can look to take the reigns.

I hope it's Richards since we don't have to give up any prospects and can afford a 5-7 year contract in the 8mil per range without risking our ability to sign Grabo, Kuli, Schenn, etc in the next year or two.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:21 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgoldfish View Post
Crabb-Boyce-Kadri? so where does Armstrong play?

Old
03-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Upshall
Laich
Glencross

Any two of those 3
perfect three i want.

glencross is definitely under the radar in this board so i hope we can get him.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
4th line Centre and thats it. And even then Boyce/Brent/Hanson can fill that role.

Right now we have:

Lupul - XXXX - Kessel
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kessel
Kadri - Bozak - Armstrong
Brown - XXXX - Orr/XXXX

Spend 500k-1m on the 1 or 2 XXXX on the fourth line and save our cap for a #1C, PMD, goalie/backup goalie.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:39 AM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel (If we can ditch Bozak for another C i'm very down with that)
Kulemin-Grabo-Mac
Kadri-Laich-Army
Boyce-Brent-Brown

That third line would really help protect Kadri and let him develop, while also being a very good offensive line. Laich would also replace Bozak on the PP unit, and give us another great addition to the PK. Other than that, we only need to worry about goaltending and upgrading the blueline (which should not be hard given anything is better than Lebda).

We may not even need to go out and get another blueliner with the way Garnider has been playing so far... we may get lucky and he could be NHL ready come next year.
Aulie-Phaneuf
Schenn-Gardiner
Komi-Gunnar

Reimer-Monster

Why not.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:41 AM
Shaun_W_W

I like what we have if we re-sign Boyce, Brent, and Crabb
Kadri - Bozak - Armstong
Crabb/Boyce- Brent - Brown
Boyce/Crabb/Orr

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
I agree. #1c is the only slot we don't have a prospect for in the next few years. That is a position that takes experience, maturity and skill of which very few players have.

Colborne may very well be that guy. Kardi too, but I would say neither of them can jump into that role in their first couple of years, you gotta build up to it. Even if they have all of the tools to be the #1C.

We need a Free Agent in this scenario, a guy who can carry the load for the next several years such that when he's ready to move on, our young mid 20's now veteran players can look to take the reigns.

I hope it's Richards since we don't have to give up any prospects and can afford a 5-7 year contract in the 8mil per range without risking our ability to sign Grabo, Kuli, Schenn, etc in the next year or two.
That about sums it up. I think a top end #1C is the key slot to fill. Either a UFA or reasonable trade for someone like Wiess if the UFA's are too expensive.

Then, when Lupul and whoever the #1C is reach UFA, hopefully Kadri and Colborne are ready to fill out the top line.

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:45 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Bottom 6 is pretty well here already and highly cost effective a big improvement in the top 6 will make that bottom 6 look better

in a perfect world though it would look something like this with at least 6 guys who can play the centres postion

Lupol - Richards - Kessel
KGM

Kadri - Boz - Armdog
Orr/Rosehill - Brent - Brown/Boyce

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealkoho View Post
Bottom 6 is pretty well here already and highly cost effective a big improvement in the top 6 will make that bottom 6 look better

in a perfect world though it would look something like this with at least 6 guys who can play the centres postion

Lupol - Richards - Kessel
KGM

Kadri - Boz - Armdog
Orr/Rosehill - Brent - Brown/Boyce
I really hope Rosehill is not back next year, if Orr isn't healthy I would much rather go with Boyce/Crabb - Brent - Brown then have to watch Rosehill play 5 minutes to not fight. Our bottom 6 is much better when we don't have an enforcer.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun_W_W View Post
I like what we have if we re-sign Boyce, Brent, and Crabb
Kadri - Bozak - Armstong
Crabb/Boyce- Brent - Brown
Boyce/Crabb/Orr
I like that 3rd line as well.
I'd like to give Orr a shot at coming back onto the 4th line though.
Kadri - Bozak - Amstong
Brown - Brent - Orr
Crabb - Boyce

The way Brown and Orr play, there will be plenty of games for Crabb and Boyce to get into to cover injuries. Actually, Crabb and Boyce can fill any spot on the bottom 6 between them and I'd be fine with it.

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:02 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel (If we can ditch Bozak for another C i'm very down with that)
Kulemin-Grabo-Mac
Kadri-Laich-Army
Boyce-Brent-Brown

That third line would really help protect Kadri and let him develop, while also being a very good offensive line. Laich would also replace Bozak on the PP unit, and give us another great addition to the PK. Other than that, we only need to worry about goaltending and upgrading the blueline (which should not be hard given anything is better than Lebda).

We may not even need to go out and get another blueliner with the way Garnider has been playing so far... we may get lucky and he could be NHL ready come next year.
Aulie-Phaneuf
Schenn-Gardiner
Komi-Gunnar

Reimer-Monster

Why not.
Why not? because Bozak is not a 1st line center

Old
03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
michael582

Upshall - Kadri - Armstrong
Brown - Boyce - Orr

michael582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:19 AM
RogerRoeper*

I don't like the idea of terribly overpaying to get a bottom 6 UFA. I'd rather use money towards a top 6 UFA.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
willy29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
We need a top line center everybody knows this but our bottom 6 could use some work to besides Brown and Armstrong there are certinly some question marks.

I have a list of few guys I wouldn't mind seeing in our bottom 6.

Mike Ryder- Knows what it's like to be a top 6 guy has 25 or more goals 4 times, could add 20 goals easy to the 3rd line and if a top 6 winger goes down he can easily fill in he'd provide us great depth.

what about you who would you taget to help the bottom 6? because I think we still have some holes there,
Michael Ryder hasn't played defense if years and holds onto the puck too much..BB don't spend any money on this guy

willy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

We need more size in the lineup. Burke's got to address that. Not sure guys like Zeus and upshall are the answer because they will want too much money as free agents and we already have one overpaid 3rd liner in armstrong.

Improving the 3rd line will come from within. I know they said kadri has to be on the top lines to be on the team but I think he army and bozak would be better than the 3rd lines we've been rolling out there for the majority of the season. Kadri can develop and get extra minutes on the pp. Just as important is the fact that bozak and kadri will have relatively light cap hits next year.

As for the 4th line, I'm ok with brown but we need more toughness than Boyce or Brent can provide.

Volcanologist is online now   Reply With Quote