HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating Drills

Old
03-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Skating Drills

Hey, I'm wondering if someone can point me towards some good skating drills (preferably youtube, but anything will do).

This is for a player who is alread a competent skater but would like to improve some areas like:

-Making strides more powerful
-Making more efficient transitions
-General backwards skating
-General agility/shiftiness

THanks!

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Rush22*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Classy View Post
Hey, I'm wondering if someone can point me towards some good skating drills (preferably youtube, but anything will do).

This is for a player who is alread a competent skater but would like to improve some areas like:

-Making strides more powerful
-Making more efficient transitions
-General backwards skating
-General agility/shiftiness

THanks!
To work on transitions and agility as well as foot speed skate in a face-off circle. Every time you come to the edge of the circle change directions as well as keep transitioning from forward to backward. Do this with a puck to work on your hands as well.

To make your stride more powerful concentrate on keeping a deep knee bend and staying low to the ice, the key is to maintain balance and keep your feet under you and only have a slight forward lean. Get full extension of your leg and use your calf muscle to finish your stride with a toe kick. Leg strength is a big factor into this, squats, lunges, and calf raises are the core lifts for your skating muscles.

Rush22* is offline   Reply With Quote