HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best in NHL and where do the better Rangers rank?

Old
03-31-2011, 08:43 AM
English Ranger

vCash: 500
Best in NHL and where do the better Rangers rank?

As a relatively new fan I can't help but think some of our players are quality.

However, without knowing much about the rest of the league, where would be say our best four or five players fit into an overall best of the NHL?

Surely with is number of shut outs Lundqvist must be in the top three keepers?

Callahan looks like a possible All Star?

English Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Rangerfans

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post

However, without knowing much about the rest of the league, where would be say our best four or five players fit into an overall best of the NHL?

The NY Rangers team seems to be strong from the goalkeeper out.

Henrik Lundqvist is - without a doubt - one of the top 3 goaltenders in the league.

Our D-corp is young, and very solid. Staal/Girardi are a real strong top pairing, and the two rookies of McDonagh/Sauer have been such a good surprise.

Our offense is inconsistent. We can score in bunches, and then go on a few goal droughts.

Nonetheless, our style of strong forechecking, blocking shots, and that grind, wear-them-down style of play is perfect for the playoffs.

You have not been to a hockey game until you have seen the NY Rangers in the playoffs. Want to talk about a completely different atmosphere? It is awesome. I hope you get to experience a playoff game.

Rangerfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 11:22 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

We have a few players who are near the top of the league in terms of fulfilling particular roles.

Staal is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, but wouldn't be talked about much as one of the "best defensemen" because he doesn't score enough.

Callahan is one of the better two-way forwards in the league. Awesome defensively, and has offense that's coming together. If he had been healthy and producing all year, he'd have quite good offensive numbers, but not good enough to put him in any kind of conversation about the best scorers in the league.

Gaborik, when he's playing the way he did for most of last year, is one of the top 10 forwards in the league.

Prust (who I know you like ) is one of the better body bangers in the league, especially when you look at the fact that he's actually done some scoring this year, to boot.

Lundqvist is Lundqvist. Most talented guy on the team, and pretty much the only one who is in any conversation for "best at his position" league-wide.

We don't have much truly top-end offensive talent anywhere but in goal, and for whatever reason it's offensive talent that gets player noticed and talked about, generally.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hank is the best goalie in the NHL and Gaborik healthy is one of the best forwards. Marc Staal is potentially one of the best defensive d-men. Some like myself consider Cally one of the best defensive/PKing players.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 02:32 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
well theres a chance they dont make the playoffs....

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ranger View Post

If you want this question answered objectively, this is not the place to post it. The majority of answers in here will be from people who watch the Rangers all the time, and watch other teams...when they play the Rangers. Perhaps the occasional Versus game too...as long as it doesn't conflict with a Ranger game of course.

If you really want a cross-section of opinion, my advice is to post this on the main board. Fans of AT LEAST 10 teams will tell you their goalie is one of the top three goalies in the league...

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:27 PM
bettercallstaal
Stepan Stepan Stepan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
If you want this question answered objectively, this is not the place to post it. The majority of answers in here will be from people who watch the Rangers all the time, and watch other teams...when they play the Rangers. Perhaps the occasional Versus game too...as long as it doesn't conflict with a Ranger game of course.

If you really want a cross-section of opinion, my advice is to post this on the main board. Fans of AT LEAST 10 teams will tell you their goalie is one of the top three goalies in the league...
And you'll get people who are actually questioning why James Reimer isn't in the conversation for the vezina. I'm still shaking my head at that one.

bettercallstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 04:51 PM
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey

I have the hockey package and I watch a ton of other teams' games. I'm also involved in a very serious fantasy hockey league with a lot of money on the line so it benefits me to keep up on the rest of the league. I'll try to go through this with as little bias as possible.

Lundqvist is an elite goaltender, top 3 or even top 5 in the league.

Staal is an elite defensive D-man but lacks the offensive element.

Callahan is an elite two-way winger.

I have a problem putting Gaborik amongst the elite offensive forwards. I understand that that will be controversial here and I understand he scored a ton of goals last season but there are so many other players with offensive talent that are more noticeable on a game to game basis. Datsyuk, Zetterberg, the entire Ducks first line, St. Louis, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, the Sedin twins, pre-concussion Richards... To me Gaborik is a player more akin to Dany Heatley or even a Marian Hossa. He is a pure sniper, if he is put in positions to score than more often than not (when healthy) he will convert his opportunities. He doesn't control the tempo of games and he has problems creating his own scoring chances, especially when he's not getting breakaway passes.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2011, 05:49 PM
satrabyk

Ok i watch a lot of hockey not just the Rangers and i can say Lundy is one of the best goalies on a consistent basis, meaning he may not be the guy to get 50 shots and get a shootout but on a long term basis which is more important he keeps the team in the game just as much as any goalie in this league.

Cally is not an all star lol, but he like Prust, Avery are all hard to play against and are missed when not in the lineup. These are guys that u need to complement your more skilled players. He has produced some offensive this year which is a bonus but i woulding jump ship thinking he is going to be big points guy, that would prob reck havec on his future. 2-3rd line key guy to have on the team.

Dubi is closer to being an all star than Cally but still is not there. Dubi is the guy that reall stirs the drink when the offense is going, with his board work and ability to draw 2 guys on him. Hes more skilled than Cally for sure, but both are very valuable as Cally does other things better like forecheck, hit and better in his own end.

Gaboirk is Gaborik very skilled but fragile as they come. Its hard to rank a guy like that because u cant say hes top 10 in the league if he never plays full season, its based only assumptions.

As others posted Stall is huge part of D core and really stabilizes things back there he has also jumped in more rushes which is adding to his game. In terms of Defensive D men i dont think i would trade him 1 for 1 with any D in this league other than Chara, and that saying a lot.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote