HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The Leafs could play a major role in knocking the Habs out of the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Carolina has a pretty easy schedule, all things considered. Isles and Atlanta have been bad and Tampa needs to get their act together if they are going to make any noise. Plus, last game of the season, might be already clinched in a certain spot so won't try, just go out there to avoid injuries. Wings have major goaltending issues with Howard out (how long is he out for?). A win Sunday and they could actually definitely sneak in. Rangers, if they're not careful, could slip out. I can see Sabres being the 6th or 7th seed. I hope they go in as the 6th seed because that is one team I can definitely see knocking Boston out in the first round.
Yeah I see that too, not so much from the Habs, if it's a Boston vs. Buffalo, I know Buffalo would win, they are in a winning mode, and not many people realize that despite losing 3 times to us they are a ridiculous 23-10-5 in the latter half.

Old
03-31-2011, 12:40 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

vCash: 500
If Montreal plays Philly in the 1st round, Flyers need to die, anything after that I could care less what they do.

Last edited by Silent Knight: 03-31-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old
03-31-2011, 12:44 PM
pavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonajams View Post
Well if the habs lose their last 4 and the leafs win their next 5, we pass them.

Ofcourse this is highly unlikely, even with the Habs recent slump.
Another way of looking at it:
habs need to lose their next 3 all in regulation
leafs need to win their next 4
leafs need to beat habs in regulation in last game of the season

this gives:
habs 89pts
leafs 90pts (8th or 9th in the east)

Old
03-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Rinzler

IF it came down to the Leafs and Habs in the last game of the season, it would be remarkable to say the least. The League would greatly benefit from that situation.

Overall though the League needs the Leafs and Habs in the playoffs. I bet the Leafs being out of the playoffs for so long has really hurt their profits.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
IF it came down to the Leafs and Habs in the last game of the season, it would be remarkable to say the least. The League would greatly benefit from that situation.

Overall though the League needs the Leafs and Habs in the playoffs. I bet the Leafs being out of the playoffs for so long has really hurt their profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Yeah I see that too, not so much from the Habs, if it's a Boston vs. Buffalo, I know Buffalo would win, they are in a winning mode, and not many people realize that despite losing 3 times to us they are a ridiculous 23-10-5 in the latter half.
Interesting fact I heard: They have the 2nd best record in the East since January 1st, tons of momentum (NJ 1st obv). Its not just that, though. Boston is physical, in your face, tight D and remarkable goaltending. If they face Rangers or Carolina, I doubt they lose. But what is the ONE weakness I see? Speed. Dump and chase, using your speed and they are beatable. Against Montreal or Buffalo, they could be done. I don't give a **** about Buffalo, I have no feelings towards them one way or another so seeing them beat Boston would be sweet. Habs and Bruins are my 2 most hated teams so I'd prefer them both be out early. Plus, we own Bostons first so it's twice as good. But who in the East can beat Phili, we need them to lose, too? Imagine if Sabres knock them both out? I'd feel like I have to cheer them all the way I actually don't cheer for anyone in the playoffs (besides Leafs), just against teams, though. I don't jump on bandwagons.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:08 PM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castor Zuse View Post
If Montreal plays Philly in the 1st round, you should all be cheering the Habs, I know I will be, anything after that I could care less what they do.
Oh I'm cheering for Philly 100% in that situation.

Last year I wanted to tear every stupid Habs flag off every car I saw, I found it disgusting that Leafs fans went to the dark side. A rivalry like the Leafs and Habs means if you're a real fan you don't switch sides.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:12 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post

Last year I wanted to tear every stupid Habs flag off every car I saw, I found it disgusting that Leafs fans went to the dark side. A rivalry like the Leafs and Habs means if you're a real fan you don't switch sides.
Agree 100%. Leaf fans jumping on their bandwagon makes me more sick than seeing them do well. They will be talking about knocking them out for the next year. I still hear about them knocking out the Caps.

Old
03-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Saul Goodman
Attorney at law

knocking the habs out of the playoffs would make missing them ourselves worth it. i was hoping the habs would face the b's in the first round and get steam rolled, but i'll be at the leafs/habs game and eliminating them would be even better. silencing all those obnoxious habs fans (and friends) would be priceless. it's a hell of a longshot, but here's to hoping!

Old
03-31-2011, 01:20 PM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance uppercut 83 View Post
knocking the habs out of the playoffs would make missing them ourselves worth it. i was hoping the habs would face the b's in the first round and get steam rolled, but i'll be at the leafs/habs game and eliminating them would be even better. silencing all those obnoxious habs fans (and friends) would be PRICEless. it's a hell of a longshot, but here's to hoping!
Fixed it for you..

Old
03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

Quote:
A rivalry like the Leafs and Habs means if you're a real fan you don't switch sides.
I hate the Habs, but they must take down Philly, 1st round.

Last edited by Silent Knight: 03-31-2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old
03-31-2011, 03:02 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:

Agreed, in a normal situation.

I cheered as hard as I could against the Habs last year, and was thrilled when they got finally knocked out. I really respected the run they went on though, even if I do hate them, they did some great things.

This year is a tad different. Rival or not, if the Habs play Philly, then I am on that bandwagon. I'm more concerned with where the Leafs pick in the draft, than someone's loose definition of what does, or does not make me a Leaf fan. So whoever plays Boston, and whoever plays Philly has my full support, even if it means cheering for the dreaded Habs.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:10 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
How about the Habs go 0-4-0, Leafs 5-0-0 and Canes 2-2-1 That would be quite a story
Yeah I was just gonna say, that game could put the Leafs in the playoffs and knock the Habs out.

That would be the most amazing thing.

It'd be nice to have all those Habitants sitting on the outside looking in.

Still, with both the Rangers and Sabres, we have to win all our remaining games, to have a shot. If either one of those teams finishes 1-3-1 or worse and the Leafs go 5-0-0 to the finish, we make the playoffs.

If they both get 4 points then we're toast.

Gawd I wanna knock the Habs out though.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Tak7

Quote:
If Montreal plays Philly in the 1st round, you should all be cheering the Habs, I know I will be, anything after that I could care less what they do.
You must be a young fan. Probably one who hasn't witnessed the playoffs for this team, etc. Cheering for your biggest rivals? Disgusting.

How many Habs fans do you think would be cheering for us if tables were reversed?

Old
03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDVADER View Post
There is the possibilty that the game on April 9th could be crucial to the Habs playoff hopes...they have 4 games left..3 on the road NJ (Parise returns..Lemaire factor)...Ottawa.(Anderson's been pretty good) and Toronto.

.they have 1 home game left on Tues vrs a desperate Blackhawk team

Even the habs press is starting to panic

http://www.hockeyinsideout.com/

oh it would be a sweet sweet deal if the leafs hammered home the last nail to their playoff hopes on Saturday april 9th..i'm certain habs fans are sweating to death if the situation arises.

Would rather see Montreal make the playoffs and play Boston than Carolina or NY. Montreal could very well beat Boston, and also help with the Boston pick we currently have.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Tak7;32024644]You must be a young fan. Probably one who hasn't witnessed the playoffs for this team, etc. Cheering for your biggest rivals? Disgusting.

How many Habs fans do you think would be cheering for us if tables were reversed?[/
QUOTE]

Cheering for another team is one thing, but I think rivalries against the Leafs aren't what they once were. Years ago, it was a huge deal/rivalry when the Leafs played the Wings or the Hawks. Even more recently than that, there seemed to be some good games against Ottawa. Not so much anymore. Could be lack of playoff appearances, but not nearly what they once were.

Old
03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
You must be a young fan. Probably one who hasn't witnessed the playoffs for this team, etc. Cheering for your biggest rivals? Disgusting.

How many Habs fans do you think would be cheering for us if tables were reversed?
It's different when the Leafs own the picks of both Boston and Philly. We should be more concerned with our future, and therefore hoping those teams get ousted in the first round so that our picks are as high as they can be.

Old
03-31-2011, 04:50 PM
mapes

Quote:
...and you don't care about Toronto's draft selections apparently. I hate the Habs, but they must take down Philly, 1st round... same as Boston must die 1st round. Have I been misled about this??
As long as they are gone by round 2, the pick is the same as if they go first round.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:00 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
As long as they are gone by round 2, the pick is the same as if they go first round.
I thought order was determined by who gets ejected from the playoffs first?

Stanley cup champs picking 30th, finalists 29th, then the 2 other conference finalists 28th and 27th, and so on.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:16 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
Call me a blasphemer, but I'd rather the Habs make it than the Hurricanes.
a REAL leafs fan would never say/type that

Old
03-31-2011, 05:18 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I thought order was determined by who gets ejected from the playoffs first?

Stanley cup champs picking 30th, finalists 29th, then the 2 other conference finalists 28th and 27th, and so on.
Something I found out a few weeks ago, as I thought it went like that. You do have it right but then the first 2 rounds are different. They take the 12 teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds, obv in reverse order. Division champs go last in reverse order. For example, Washington had the best record in the NHL last year but knocked out first round, not the second but they had 26th overall.

So I'd personally want Habs out first round, then Phili second round if they face eachother first round since the pick won't be any different.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:26 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Something I found out a few weeks ago, as I thought it went like that. You do have it right but then the first 2 rounds are different. They take the 12 teams eliminated in the first 2 rounds, obv in reverse order. Division champs go last in reverse order. For example, Washington had the best record in the NHL last year but knocked out first round, not the second but they had 26th overall.

So I'd personally want Habs out first round, then Phili second round if they face eachother first round since the pick won't be any different.
Oh ok, thanks a lot for the clarification, I had no idea it was like that. So just as long as both Boston and Philly are out by round 2, we are in decent shape.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:30 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknite001 View Post
I also want the Habs in aswell, since the Leafs have a slim chance of getting in the Habs are the only Canadian Team that are in it in the east
Same. I enjoy watching them rip around in the playoffs. Last year was entertaining.

I need to have a playoff team in the east, Ive never had the rival hate for Montreal that so many other Leafs fans have. I save that hate for NYR/BOS/NJ/BUF

I like the city, I like the enthusiasm of the fans, viva les Montreal!

Old
03-31-2011, 05:31 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
a REAL leafs fan would never say/type that
Maybe in the 1960's when we were actually rivals.

Old
03-31-2011, 05:47 PM
Silent Knight
"Resigns" you sure?

OK...

Old
03-31-2011, 06:27 PM
InTermsOf*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post

Also, get off my lawn.

Closed Thread