HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Leafs could play a major role in knocking the Habs out of the playoffs

Closed Thread

Old
03-31-2011, 09:11 PM
mapes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
Oh ok, thanks a lot for the clarification, I had no idea it was like that. So just as long as both Boston and Philly are out by round 2, we are in decent shape.
No problem. Like I said, I didn't realize until I was corrected recently. It came up because we were discussing what we are right now, Phili and Boston. Boston could have troubles with Buffalo and Montreal IMO. Phili is a team that could probably beat anyone in the East, though. Thats the pick that could end up 29-30th.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:13 PM
HellasLEAF
Komarov has cometh..

our game could knock the Scabs out of the playoffs?

oh...oh sweet nectar...

Old
03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
No problem. Like I said, I didn't realize until I was corrected recently. It came up because we were discussing what we are right now, Phili and Boston. Boston could have troubles with Buffalo and Montreal IMO. Phili is a team that could probably beat anyone in the East, though. Thats the pick that could end up 29-30th.
Frankly, I would be pleased if one of those teams were ousted by round 2 so that at least one pick was a bit higher.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Leafswillrulesometim

My hope is that...

Montreal drops 2 more

NYR/Sabres win their 2.

Habs fall behind in eighth to NYR/Sabres

Carolina also wins 3 straight...

FINAL GAME OF THE SEASON, LEAFS DECIDE HABS PLAYOFF FATE

6-0 Reimer shutout Grabo with hat-trick (former hab) and PK Subban goes -5

I know it would be that much awesomer if it meant us being in the playoffs, but I just can't see us climbing over.

Quote:
Frankly, I would be pleased if one of those teams were ousted by round 2 so that at least one pick was a bit higher.
What we, as Leafs fans do, is hope the Rangers snag 6th place for the 1st round matchup against Boston.

The hottest team in the league with the hottest goaltender, as cocky as Bruins fans would be, we already know they're equally as nervous :

Or rangers in eighth for philly matchup, that's fine too. I just think the Rangers are easily the most dangerous low-seeded team. Lundqvist can steal a series.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:40 PM
jimmycarter

habs no. rangers maybe.

that would really piss a lot of people off.

Old
03-31-2011, 09:42 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafswillrulesometim View Post

What we, as Leafs fans do, is hope the Rangers snag 6th place for the 1st round matchup against Boston.

The hottest team in the league with the hottest goaltender, as cocky as Bruins fans would be, we already know they're equally as nervous :

Or rangers in eighth for philly matchup, that's fine too. I just think the Rangers are easily the most dangerous low-seeded team. Lundqvist can steal a series.
Sabres are hotter. I believe they have the 2nd best record in he East since Jan 1st, plus Boston has trouble with speed. They are 26-10-3 or something, 3 losses against us. Someone on this board posted the numbers the other day.

I don't see Rangers as a big threat. I think Rangers matchup better with Phili but I don't see them beating them either. You never know, though

Old
03-31-2011, 09:52 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
If caroline goes 2-2-1
Leafs go 4-0-0 (very unlikely)
and habs go 0-1-2 (very unlikely)

That would be the biggest last game ever btwn habs and leafs ever. Leafs would have 40 wins, habs 41 but I think leafs would have more wins in regulation (which I think would be the tiebreaker- no?)

LEAFS vs. HABS for final playoff spot.

Pipe dream I know, but man would that be exciting. THAT would be an equivalent to a game 7 in the playoffs. This wont happen though... Our next games are very tough. Boston, Sharks (who have been the best team lately), devils with parise, Ottawa (weak teams have given us trouble for some reason)... I just cant expect the leafs to go through all these teams without a loss and habs to go the next three games without a win.

I dont know but that would be like a dream come true for any leafs fan. Biggest game of the year (for any team in the nhl)
A combination of the Habs getting 1 point, or the Leafs losing 1 means that the Leafs can't catch them.

The Habs already have 38 wins outside of the shoot-out, while the most the Leafs can get is 36.

The same thing applies to the Canes, the combination being 3 points however. The Canes can only get 37 tie-breaking wins if they win the rest of their games outside of the shoot-out.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:02 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
I thought order was determined by who gets ejected from the playoffs first?

Stanley cup champs picking 30th, finalists 29th, then the 2 other conference finalists 28th and 27th, and so on.
Nope. Copied from another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

Spot 30 is for the SC winner.

Spot 29 is for the other SC finalist.

Spot 28 and 27 are for the other two Final Four teams.

Spots 26 and preceding are for Divisional winners (based on point total) who did not qualify for the Final Four. So it could be spots 21 to 26 if none of the Division winners end up in the Final Four.

Spots 15 to ?? are for non-Final qualifiers and non-Division winners.

Spots 1 to 14 are for non-playoff teams, and any of these teams may gain 4 spots if they win the lottery.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:05 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...)

So I'd personally want Habs out first round, then Phili second round if they face eachother first round since the pick won't be any different.
Short sight vision, cause then you would run the risk of the Flyers meeting the Bruins in the 2nd round, and one of them would get to the Final Four, thus lowering the value of that pick.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:06 PM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beleafer4 View Post
If caroline goes 2-2-1
Leafs go 4-0-0 (very unlikely)
and habs go 0-1-2 (very unlikely)

That would be the biggest last game ever btwn habs and leafs ever. Leafs would have 40 wins, habs 41 but I think leafs would have more wins in regulation (which I think would be the tiebreaker- no?)

LEAFS vs. HABS for final playoff spot.

Pipe dream I know, but man would that be exciting. THAT would be an equivalent to a game 7 in the playoffs. This wont happen though... Our next games are very tough. Boston, Sharks (who have been the best team lately), devils with parise, Ottawa (weak teams have given us trouble for some reason)... I just cant expect the leafs to go through all these teams without a loss and habs to go the next three games without a win.

I dont know but that would be like a dream come true for any leafs fan. Biggest game of the year (for any team in the nhl)
Biggest last game ever? Remember 2007? Leafs, Habs, 8th on the line. Leafs win it 6-5, eliminating the Habs. Means we're in, right? Well no, Isles played Devils the next day and if they win, they're in. They lose, we're in. 1-0 and NJ tied it with less than ONE SECOND to go. Ended up winning in a shootout, of course, eliminating us. Greatest race I've seen for the Leafs.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:08 PM
mapes

Quote:
Short sight vision, cause then you would run the risk of the Flyers meeting the Bruins in the 2nd round, and one of them would get to the Final Four, thus lowering the value of that pick.
If Phili is a 1 seed and Bruins are a 3, looks likely, they can't play 2nd round..

Old
03-31-2011, 10:16 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
If Phili is a 1 seed and Bruins are a 3, looks likely, they can't play 2nd round..
The Flyers could end up the 2nd seed...

Old
03-31-2011, 10:19 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Beating Habs = Leafs Cup

Impressive win against the POS Bruins, btw

Old
03-31-2011, 10:21 PM
mapes

Quote:
The Flyers could end up the 2nd seed...
That's true, they could. The way Caps have been playing, who knows. But if they go in as 1 and 3 seeds, they can't play in the first 2 rounds. So a better chance they both get eliminated in the first 2 rounds. Boston I could definitely see going out early if they face a fast team.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:30 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
(...) Boston I could definitely see going out early if they face a fast team.
Loaded question, a lot of street cred on the line:

Does that mean that you would wish to see Boston meet Montreal in the 1st round (if they make the playoffs, that is)?

Old
03-31-2011, 10:31 PM
jomas

if the habs lose every single one of there games and we win all of ours doesn't that mean we overtake them and make the playoffs?(unless the habs also play buffalo or Carolina or something)
However of the two Canadian teams in the playoff spots right now I'd rather see Montreal go far and not Vancouver.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:32 PM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:

Does that mean that you would wish to see Boston meet Montreal in the 1st round (if they make the playoffs, that is)?

Definitely. Habs may be small and easy to push around, but you barely see any fights during the playoffs, so they can't goon it up.

Fast Paced games kill the Bruins. Look at Lucic, he's can find a way to be open and score but his skating is atrocious.

Old
03-31-2011, 10:41 PM
mapes

Quote:

I've explained earlier this thread. I'd prefer Bruins winning then losing in round 2 if they faced Habs I'd prefer Boston vs Buffalo, though. Habs/Bruins both out early would make my day

Old
03-31-2011, 10:45 PM
ThreeHundred

I hate both Boston & the Habs... hope they both lose lol...

But i'd say its really tuff for the Habs not to make the playoffs but its possible...

We knocked them out in the last game of the NHL season a couple years back...

Old
03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
I hate both Boston & the Habs... hope they both lose lol...

But i'd say its really tuff for the Habs not to make the playoffs but its possible...

We knocked them out in the last game of the NHL season a couple years back...
You meant four years ago. Time sure does fly...

And that's been the only joy (or the biggest one) in Leafs Land over the past few years.

Old
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
ThreeHundred

yaa man.. that was an intense game too..

Old
04-01-2011, 12:22 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Them playing each other 2nd round is near impossible at this point, but them doing so is way better than playing eachg other in the 3rd round, although it also assures us of a 2nd round pick next year.

What would you rather have, the pick 4-5 spots earlier, or an additional 2nd round pick?

Old
04-01-2011, 02:31 AM
guapo23

Alternate scenario :
Leafs win all their games, so do habs.
Canes & Rangers lose all their games and we both make the playoffs.
After 2 rounds of upsets we meet in the Conference Finals for a Deathmatch.

That would be way more epic !

Old
04-01-2011, 02:34 AM
MickKaine

Montreal's a small hockey market compared to Carolina. Habs need it more than the Hurricanes. Just ask Eric Staal.

Old
04-01-2011, 08:17 AM
TheArchitect*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
Alternate scenario :
Leafs win all their games, so do habs.
Canes & Rangers lose all their games and we both make the playoffs.
After 2 rounds of upsets we meet in the Conference Finals for a Deathmatch.

That would be way more epic !
This. x 67,000

Closed Thread