HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Conklin Signed - Long Term

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 08:38 PM
Allan

vCash: 500
What are you basing that on? Everything I read said that Lowe traded him because Conklin's contract was one way for last year, so one of them had to go. If Markkanen had wanted more playing time, why would he have signed a new contract with the Rangers, who he knew already had a starter?

Old
07-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Lowetide

I'm neither a Conklin booster or hater. imo he does deserve a shot (along with Markkanen) to see if he can be a number one goalie. The reasons I always read about Conklin not being good enough are things like "he's 28" or "he flagged at the end."

Well, NHL history is FULL of goalies who took forever (no one even knows how old Johnny Bower was when he finally made it, but he looked like Conklin's grandpa the day he won the Leafs job---you can look it up) like Tony Esposito, born 1943 and the rookie of the year in 1970. Chico Resch. Those are the ones I remember, others will come in and fill the last 20 years. Anyway, goalies like pitchers in baseball take awhile.

As for him flagging at the end, damn right and most goalies do that the first season they play a significant amount.

I say give him a shot. The only thing that is a bit questionable is the three years. If he bleeps the bed, he'll be impossible to trade.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:55 PM
hockeyaddict101

Is it three years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
The only thing that is a bit questionable is the three years. If he bleeps the bed, he'll be impossible to trade.
It just says multi-year deal did you read something different somewhere else?

I really don't think he will do badly, goaltenders take longer to develop. Look at Aebescher, Kipper.

Conklin was really a late bloomer he wasn't even drafted.

Gotta give the scouting staff and Lowe props for this one IMO. This is definitely one free agent signing that was a success!

Old
07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
It just says multi-year deal did you read something different somewhere else?
Gulp. I thought I did, but maybe it was just me assuming Lowe had signed him to 3 years because he always does. Sorry about that.

Old
07-07-2004, 09:08 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Gulp. I thought I did, but maybe it was just me assuming Lowe had signed him to 3 years because he always does. Sorry about that.
No apologies he very well could have but at 1.5 million a year it is not a huge risk IMO unless he really gets huge raises in the next year(s).

Old
07-07-2004, 09:14 PM
punk_o_holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
What are you basing that on? Everything I read said that Lowe traded him because Conklin's contract was one way for last year, so one of them had to go. If Markkanen had wanted more playing time, why would he have signed a new contract with the Rangers, who he knew already had a starter?
If he didn't ask for a trade I dont know why I kept on thinking that. I thought i read a quote from the sun or journal of Markannen being unhappy with the playing time that he had....sorry if what i wrote is wrong but still i'm sure i read it somewhere..later

Old
07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Yeah...if it's a Breweresque 1.5/2/2.5 split (assuming a 3 year deal), this would get a bit less appealing. 2 years and a team option, not so bad.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:08 PM
Oilers Ent

Send a message via MSN to Oilers Ent
My guess is that Brownlee will have the numbers tomorrow.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
I'm neither a Conklin booster or hater. imo he does deserve a shot (along with Markkanen) to see if he can be a number one goalie. The reasons I always read about Conklin not being good enough are things like "he's 28" or "he flagged at the end."

Well, NHL history is FULL of goalies who took forever (no one even knows how old Johnny Bower was when he finally made it, but he looked like Conklin's grandpa the day he won the Leafs job---you can look it up) like Tony Esposito, born 1943 and the rookie of the year in 1970. Chico Resch. Those are the ones I remember, others will come in and fill the last 20 years. Anyway, goalies like pitchers in baseball take awhile.

As for him flagging at the end, damn right and most goalies do that the first season they play a significant amount.

I say give him a shot. The only thing that is a bit questionable is the three years. If he bleeps the bed, he'll be impossible to trade.
No offense Lowtide, but I would never, ever compare Conklin's situation to Johnny Bower, Tony Esposito, or even Chico Resch. They played in the era of the Original Six or early expansion where NHL jobs were very precious commodities, most especially the goaltending position. In this new millenium of 30 team, I am hardly awestruck by a 27 year old rookie goaltender, as Conklin was last season.

The Oiler fortune hangs in the balance of two older, yet relatively inexperienced NHL goaltender. This is a very precarious position for a team which has either eeked into or missed the playoff cut the past many years. All the best to the Conkennen but colour me skeptical.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:55 PM
Lowetide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
No offense Lowtide, but I would never, ever compare Conklin's situation to Johnny Bower, Tony Esposito, or even Chico Resch. They played in the era of the Original Six or early expansion where NHL jobs were very precious commodities, most especially the goaltending position. In this new millenium of 30 team, I am hardly awestruck by a 27 year old rookie goaltender, as Conklin was last season.

The Oiler fortune hangs in the balance of two older, yet relatively inexperienced NHL goaltender. This is a very precarious position for a team which has either eeked into or missed the playoff cut the past many years. All the best to the Conkennen but colour me skeptical.

It's an interesting question, which era would be more difficult. When Tony Esposito entered the NHL, there were 10 teams, but no one from Europe to compete with (I'm trying to remember the first NA Euro G, all I can come up with is Christer Abrahamsson who played in the WHA. Jiri Crha?).

So, what is more difficult: winning one of 10 jobs in a universe of North American goalies, or winning one of 30 in a universe of all hockey nations? Yes, I'd say you're correct.

As for Conklin and Markkanen, I think they've earned the opportunity.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Mr Sakich

another mitigating factor is that Conklin's temperment is a lot more stable than Salo. (I assume you meant salo with your comment on crapping the bed). Tommy was always a bit of a sensitive guy whereas Ty is very confident. I don't see him blowing up any time soon. He may not get any better, but I don't see him as a high risk guy.

At 1.5 mill, it wouldn't be the end of the world if he was a back-up. The problem with Salo was that he was a 3.5 mill guy not playing well (kinda like Turek). Lowe can walk away from Ty without blowing his budget.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Matts

Well I'm hoping that MacT

is liberal with the playing time of Jussi as well. I like Ty, I really do, but do I think he can step in and play a consistent 50 games this year> No not really but we have Jussi there as well and why not go tandem?

that 1.5 might be hard to unload after a bad year but Lowe didn't have any problem unloading the last goalie he gave too much...oh wait

no but I like Ty and the only thing I don't like is the times he goes Checkmanek and turns side on to the shooter and seeing as how Peeters doesn't come with a lot of buzz I don't know if pete can fix that.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:26 PM
YKOil

My response on Oilfans was much more profane and rude and won't be repeated here, needless to say though, 1.5 million is too damn much. MAYBE if it is 4 years, or 3 years plus an option - all at 1.5 - I can accept it. Just a bad deal imo and one that makes me believe that Smith and Brewer will DP Lowe bad.

A guy doubles his salary on 42 decent games and one international tournament?

YKOil

Old
07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Elvis Lives

Conklin

Given that JDD is on the way, the best bet on the Conklin deal is two years plus a team option for a third year.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
My response on Oilfans was much more profane and rude and won't be repeated here, needless to say though, 1.5 million is too damn much. MAYBE if it is 4 years, or 3 years plus an option - all at 1.5 - I can accept it. Just a bad deal imo and one that makes me believe that Smith and Brewer will DP Lowe bad.

YKOil
Well, I imagine that Kipprusoff will be getting somewhere in the range of 3.5 - 4.0 Mil (just a hunch). And while the argument can be made that he carried his team deep into the playoffs, he's only proved himself for a stretch of less than 42 games with the Flames. Besides who's to say that Conks won't have a Kipper like streak next year - He's hardly been given the ball to run with.... Just my two cents..

Old
07-07-2004, 11:54 PM
MrMackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by YKOil
If he's only making $850k the year before and he's slated to become the #1 goalie the next year, then I'd say that's reasonable.

The outcome could've been much worse for the Oilers after Conklin's second international tournament.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:02 AM
Elvis Lives

Conklin money

Don't forget, a significant portion of Conklin's $860,000 for last season was in the form of a signing bonus that was spread over the term of his first three-year deal. His base salary was $475,000, so you can't assume he's jumping up to the $1.5 million neighborhood in this contract.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:14 AM
Allan

The Sportsnet ticker just said 2 years/$3 million with a $2.5 million team option.

Seems reasonable to me - if he performs really well, he would be in line for that raise, and if not, no major commitment.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:23 AM
Asiaoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
The Sportsnet ticker just said 2 years/$3 million with a $2.5 million team option.

Seems reasonable to me - if he performs really well, he would be in line for that raise, and if not, no major commitment.
Yeah it's a bit higher than expected - but only by a couple hundred thousand. I was expecting about $1.3 million. Peanuts really and I like the team option part of the deal. If he becomes a stud then we have the option to retain or trade him - and if he is mediocre we just decline the option. Good enough and that's settled.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:26 AM
speeds

What in the world is the hurry to get a deal done at this price? Not sure this is as bad an overpay as Brewer, but geez, seems mighty high to me.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:40 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
IMO Markanen will be the better goalie.... I don't know why, but I think Markanen has a higher end then Ty. Either way, a two year 3 million deal is fine buy me!

07-08-2004, 12:54 AM
hockeyaddict101

1.5 million is peanuts

Hate to say that but it's true. The average salary in the NHL is 1.67 million dollars.

The only way this was a bad contract IMO is if raised signifcantly in the second year, it did not and if the Oilers can walk away in the third year.

1.5 million for a starting goalie. I looked through NHLPA.com and was very hard pressed to find any starting goalies earning that little.

I find goalies that played ONE measly game last year that got paid more.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:59 AM
Hemsky4PM

If the $3M/2yrs is true Conklin still come in as one of the cheapest starters in the league. I think it was a little bit high, but how can we complain about spending less than $2.4M on two decent goalies when we were paying Salo nearly $4M last season? And when the likes of Dafoe was pulling down $3M? The BIG figure, $2.5M in the 3rd year, will be a great carrot for Conklin. He'll either fold under the pressure or elevate his game. Even 3 seasons from now $2.5M will be a somewhat reasonable salary for a starting goaltender.

Conkin and Maarkanen are at worst a decent stop gap untill JDD or Dubnyk makes the jump. If they all prove unworthy of being good starters then deals can always be made.

Old
07-08-2004, 01:01 AM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
What in the world is the hurry to get a deal done at this price? Not sure this is as bad an overpay as Brewer, but geez, seems mighty high to me.
My own number was along the lines of 1.15 / 1.30 plus 3rd year option at 1.5. Give or take 100k after that. But hey, I guess a 36% raise in the first year, 13% in the 2nd and 15% in a possible 3rd year would be insulting the guy.

Like I said - this does not bode well for the Smith & Brewer negotiations.

YKOil

Old
07-08-2004, 01:09 AM
YKOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
1.5 million for a starting goalie. I looked through NHLPA.com and was very hard pressed to find any starting goalies earning that little.
in Millions

1.55 -- Denis
1.10 -- Nurminen
1.20 -- Vokoun
1.10 -- Legace
1.00 -- Garon
0.88 -- Kipper
0.56 -- Esche
0.55 -- Aebischer
0.55 -- Raycroft

And I would take someone like Biron at 2.20 over Conklin as well. Also, Gerber made 500k and Noronen made 550k last year.

1.5 million is NOT a great deal.

YKOil

Closed Thread