HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slots for Mario

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
ICS

vCash: 500
Slots for Mario

now of course you guys dont like the Pens, but isnt it nice to have a cross state rival?

help save the Pens and sign this.

http://www.slotsformario.com/

i will go back to my Pens board now, but thanks to all who help us out.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:07 PM
54fightin

I disagree

why should I as a PA taxpayer and Flyers fan help the Pens. The Flyers built the Wachovia Center with mostly their own money. Granted it was on land given to them by the city but the city gets revenue back from the arena. No I am not in favor of the Pens getting slots.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:34 PM
ICS

fair nuff, but someone will get the Pittsburgh license no matter what.

edit: oh, and the rev from the slots will help everyone in PA.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:38 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
why should I as a PA taxpayer and Flyers fan help the Pens. The Flyers built the Wachovia Center with mostly their own money. Granted it was on land given to them by the city but the city gets revenue back from the arena. No I am not in favor of the Pens getting slots.
How is your money going to pay for this? The Pens pay for the liscence, and then raise their own money. Slots RAISE money, they don't spend it. This is a way for Pittsburgh to retain their team without costing the city or state huge amounts of money. It's good for the state that this passed, not just for the Penguins.

Old
07-07-2004, 07:41 PM
54fightin

Good argument

but to make things fair let the Flyers have slots also. It would allow them to regain some of the money spent to build the Wachovia center.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.
Awww do wee feew awww better now?

Old
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711

There's close to 4000 signatures on this, and it's only been around a few days.

paxtang has it right. Not only does it not waste the state's money, it adds more money into it. If you don't give Lemieux the liscense and let the team walk out of Pittsburgh, then you lose the tax money the Penguins pay, and still have to pony up money for a new arena down the line that probably wouldn't make as much money without a pro sports team.

Internet petitions don't usually do much, but this one has been on the local news, on sports shows around town, and will be mentioned in the Post Gazette on Friday. This idea is a no brainer that will help not only the Pens and Pittsburgh, but the state in general.

And how are you, a Toronto resident, certain about 95% of the entire state? Anyone with half a brain can see that this idea is almost too simple of a solution that helps everyone.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:24 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
ICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
but to make things fair let the Flyers have slots also. It would allow them to regain some of the money spent to build the Wachovia center.
i dont see why the Flyers wouldnt look into that also. the NHL has given the Pens a green light to do this and would do the same for you. i would sign the petition for that. at least it would keep more money in PA then giving the license to an out of state company.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
Brad*

Quote:
go play in traffic or something.
If only you'd take your own advice...

Old
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
now of course you guys dont like the Pens, but isnt it nice to have a cross state rival?

help save the Pens and sign this.

http://www.slotsformario.com/

i will go back to my Pens board now, but thanks to all who help us out.

this doesn't change the fact that Penguins fan support is piss poor (did not sell out their ECF games in 2001). Once Mario Lemieux is retired once and for all, at SOME point he will have to sell the team to save himself, and at some point the team will be out of Pittsburgh unless people start coming back to watch the team play.

Last edited by GKJ: 07-07-2004 at 10:27 PM.
Old
07-07-2004, 08:43 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt
Awww do wee feew awww better now?
:lol Dude, I'm not the one whose team needs fricken slot machines to pump money into the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
And how are you, a Toronto resident, certain about 95% of the entire state? Anyone with half a brain can see that this idea is almost too simple of a solution that helps everyone.
Because 95% of Pennsylvania consists of Flyers fans. Nobody wants to be associated with a joke of a team like the Pens.
Are these slot machines going to be put in the Mellon Arena? If so, isn't it kind of a wasted effort since hardly anybody goes to see Pens games anyways? Also, what kind of father would bring their kid to a hockey game that closer resembles a night in Vegas?
"Look Billy, this is the concession stand and jersey store and oh, don't look over there, that's where all the welfare bums and hookers go."
Way to promote the game to a new generation.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:48 PM
ICS

Quote:
oooooookay, but thats kinda dangerous

Old
07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
FearTheFlyers

I signed. Not every team can be owned by Comcast, Blindside.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Slot machines will help Philadelphia Park a great deal though.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I signed. Not every team can be owned by Comcast, Blindside.
Even so, I sure hope the Flyers never fall on hard times. They'd have to be sold and moved I guess, because we can't have any weak franchises.

Old
07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
ICS

no, the slots would not be in the same building and the civic arena wouldnt be there any more. and yes, it would be bad for a kid to see a slot machine. wouldnt want them to gamble, what with all the drugs they couldve spent thier money on

Old
07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Right now, I think every NHL fan should be doing everything possible to help every NHL franchise because the NHL is in big trouble right now.

That being said, I've worked for 8 hours today and then I had to go have surgery on my foot, so right now, I am too lazy and in too much pain to fill out this petition or whatever, but I'm sure someone else will carry on.

Old
07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
(did not sell out their ECF games in 2002).
Do you have proof of that?

Old
07-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
this doesn't change the fact that Penguins fan support is piss poor (did not sell out their ECF games in 2002). Once Mario Lemieux is retired once and for all, at SOME point he will have to sell the team to save himself, and at some point the team will be out of Pittsburgh unless people start coming back to watch the team play.
it was 2001, and they sold out all their games. they had something like 30 straight sellouts after mario's return. would the flyers attendance still be great if they had a year like the pens did last year? when the pens are winning, support for them is great. it doesn't help when they had the worst record, but still pretty expensive tickets compared to many teams.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:25 PM
ICS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
it was 2001, and they sold out all their games. they had something like 30 straight sellouts after mario's return. would the flyers attendance still be great if they had a year like the pens did last year? when the pens are winning, support for them is great. it doesn't help when they had the worst record, but still pretty expensive tickets compared to many teams.
exactly

Old
07-07-2004, 10:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis

im sorry, i was thinking 2001.

But during the playoffs, the sellouts are not true. Game 4 was 5-0 so the entire 3rd period i vividly remember the announcers talking about the lack of fan support, how they had to discount tickets, and they still couldn't sell out the arena, and it was worse when Lemieux wasn't on the team and the Penguins were still playing well.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Jacob

gkj, you are once again incorrect;

http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2892.htm
http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2893.htm

Both games were sellouts. 17,148 for each.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:53 PM
paxtang

A) Plenty of PA residents are Pen fans, simply based on the fact that half the state leans towards Pittsburgh, and half leans toward Philly. As a Central PA resident, I know this for a fact.

B) I don't see how anyone could be hostile towards the Pens for doing this. I mean, it's not like the team has given us a real reason to dislike them, there is no cross state rivalry, why not just support a PA team? Blanket attacks on them are stupid IMO.

C)Plenty of teams are in a financial situation. Without a new stadium, the Pens are screwed, it isn't because the city doesn't care about them. And to get a new stadium, they need to be creative to raise money, because Pitt's economy isn't exactly Philly's. Cut the damn city a break.

Last edited by paxtang: 07-08-2004 at 12:23 AM.
Closed Thread