HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Slots for Mario

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2004, 07:03 PM
  #1
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Slots for Mario

now of course you guys dont like the Pens, but isnt it nice to have a cross state rival?

help save the Pens and sign this.

http://www.slotsformario.com/

i will go back to my Pens board now, but thanks to all who help us out.

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:07 PM
  #2
54fightin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
I disagree

why should I as a PA taxpayer and Flyers fan help the Pens. The Flyers built the Wachovia Center with mostly their own money. Granted it was on land given to them by the city but the city gets revenue back from the arena. No I am not in favor of the Pens getting slots.

54fightin is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:34 PM
  #3
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
fair nuff, but someone will get the Pittsburgh license no matter what.

edit: oh, and the rev from the slots will help everyone in PA.

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:38 PM
  #4
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
why should I as a PA taxpayer and Flyers fan help the Pens. The Flyers built the Wachovia Center with mostly their own money. Granted it was on land given to them by the city but the city gets revenue back from the arena. No I am not in favor of the Pens getting slots.
How is your money going to pay for this? The Pens pay for the liscence, and then raise their own money. Slots RAISE money, they don't spend it. This is a way for Pittsburgh to retain their team without costing the city or state huge amounts of money. It's good for the state that this passed, not just for the Penguins.

paxtang is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 07:41 PM
  #5
54fightin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 140
vCash: 500
Good argument

but to make things fair let the Flyers have slots also. It would allow them to regain some of the money spent to build the Wachovia center.

54fightin is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:03 PM
  #6
Blindside9711
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Misplaced SOB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.

Blindside9711 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
  #7
BlindWillyMcHurt
Registered User
 
BlindWillyMcHurt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 7,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.
Awww do wee feew awww better now?

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
  #8
DJ Spinoza
Registered User
 
DJ Spinoza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Netherlands
Posts: 12,904
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.

There's close to 4000 signatures on this, and it's only been around a few days.

paxtang has it right. Not only does it not waste the state's money, it adds more money into it. If you don't give Lemieux the liscense and let the team walk out of Pittsburgh, then you lose the tax money the Penguins pay, and still have to pony up money for a new arena down the line that probably wouldn't make as much money without a pro sports team.

Internet petitions don't usually do much, but this one has been on the local news, on sports shows around town, and will be mentioned in the Post Gazette on Friday. This idea is a no brainer that will help not only the Pens and Pittsburgh, but the state in general.

And how are you, a Toronto resident, certain about 95% of the entire state? Anyone with half a brain can see that this idea is almost too simple of a solution that helps everyone.

DJ Spinoza is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:24 PM
  #9
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Good lord, yet another effort to save the sob story Pens. Why the hell would you post this in a Flyers forum? I don't give a rats ass if the Penguins were folded to tell you the truth, and I'm certain that 95% of Pennsylvania residents agree with me. Not even Mary-O the god can save the Pens franchise right now. Knowing the city of Pittsburgh, who have never even considered shedding a cent to help the Penguins, likely won't give them slot machines either. Something tells me the higher powers want the Penguins out of that eyesore of an arena too. If a team has to stoop this low to bring in support revenue and still be a bottom feeding punching bag for the rest of the league, you know something is wrong. Let them die already. All 300 of you Pens fans need to get a hobby or something, because placing all your hockey hopes and dreams into a team that will never amount to anything again is absolutely useless, much like the team's owner.
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

Jacob is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:35 PM
  #10
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin
but to make things fair let the Flyers have slots also. It would allow them to regain some of the money spent to build the Wachovia center.
i dont see why the Flyers wouldnt look into that also. the NHL has given the Pens a green light to do this and would do the same for you. i would sign the petition for that. at least it would keep more money in PA then giving the license to an out of state company.

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:36 PM
  #11
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
go play in traffic or something.
If only you'd take your own advice...

Brad* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:41 PM
  #12
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICS
now of course you guys dont like the Pens, but isnt it nice to have a cross state rival?

help save the Pens and sign this.

http://www.slotsformario.com/

i will go back to my Pens board now, but thanks to all who help us out.

this doesn't change the fact that Penguins fan support is piss poor (did not sell out their ECF games in 2001). Once Mario Lemieux is retired once and for all, at SOME point he will have to sell the team to save himself, and at some point the team will be out of Pittsburgh unless people start coming back to watch the team play.


Last edited by GKJ: 07-07-2004 at 10:27 PM.
GKJ is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:43 PM
  #13
Blindside9711
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Misplaced SOB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt
Awww do wee feew awww better now?
:lol Dude, I'm not the one whose team needs fricken slot machines to pump money into the franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
And how are you, a Toronto resident, certain about 95% of the entire state? Anyone with half a brain can see that this idea is almost too simple of a solution that helps everyone.
Because 95% of Pennsylvania consists of Flyers fans. Nobody wants to be associated with a joke of a team like the Pens.
Are these slot machines going to be put in the Mellon Arena? If so, isn't it kind of a wasted effort since hardly anybody goes to see Pens games anyways? Also, what kind of father would bring their kid to a hockey game that closer resembles a night in Vegas?
"Look Billy, this is the concession stand and jersey store and oh, don't look over there, that's where all the welfare bums and hookers go."
Way to promote the game to a new generation.

Blindside9711 is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:48 PM
  #14
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Not to sound belligerent, but take your damn internet petition and go play in traffic or something.
oooooookay, but thats kinda dangerous

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:49 PM
  #15
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
I signed. Not every team can be owned by Comcast, Blindside.

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
  #16
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Slot machines will help Philadelphia Park a great deal though.

GKJ is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 08:52 PM
  #17
Brad*
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 13,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSpeedOnly
I signed. Not every team can be owned by Comcast, Blindside.
Even so, I sure hope the Flyers never fall on hard times. They'd have to be sold and moved I guess, because we can't have any weak franchises.

Brad* is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 09:05 PM
  #18
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
no, the slots would not be in the same building and the civic arena wouldnt be there any more. and yes, it would be bad for a kid to see a slot machine. wouldnt want them to gamble, what with all the drugs they couldve spent thier money on

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 09:21 PM
  #19
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Right now, I think every NHL fan should be doing everything possible to help every NHL franchise because the NHL is in big trouble right now.

That being said, I've worked for 8 hours today and then I had to go have surgery on my foot, so right now, I am too lazy and in too much pain to fill out this petition or whatever, but I'm sure someone else will carry on.

FlyHigh is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
  #20
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
(did not sell out their ECF games in 2002).
Do you have proof of that?

Jacob is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:01 PM
  #21
Luigi Lemieux
Registered User
 
Luigi Lemieux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 13,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
this doesn't change the fact that Penguins fan support is piss poor (did not sell out their ECF games in 2002). Once Mario Lemieux is retired once and for all, at SOME point he will have to sell the team to save himself, and at some point the team will be out of Pittsburgh unless people start coming back to watch the team play.
it was 2001, and they sold out all their games. they had something like 30 straight sellouts after mario's return. would the flyers attendance still be great if they had a year like the pens did last year? when the pens are winning, support for them is great. it doesn't help when they had the worst record, but still pretty expensive tickets compared to many teams.

Luigi Lemieux is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:25 PM
  #22
ICS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
it was 2001, and they sold out all their games. they had something like 30 straight sellouts after mario's return. would the flyers attendance still be great if they had a year like the pens did last year? when the pens are winning, support for them is great. it doesn't help when they had the worst record, but still pretty expensive tickets compared to many teams.
exactly

ICS is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:26 PM
  #23
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
it was 2001, and they sold out all their games. they had something like 30 straight sellouts after mario's return. would the flyers attendance still be great if they had a year like the pens did last year? when the pens are winning, support for them is great. it doesn't help when they had the worst record, but still pretty expensive tickets compared to many teams.

im sorry, i was thinking 2001.

But during the playoffs, the sellouts are not true. Game 4 was 5-0 so the entire 3rd period i vividly remember the announcers talking about the lack of fan support, how they had to discount tickets, and they still couldn't sell out the arena, and it was worse when Lemieux wasn't on the team and the Penguins were still playing well.

GKJ is offline  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:37 PM
  #24
Jacob
Registered User
 
Jacob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 26,688
vCash: 500
gkj, you are once again incorrect;

http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2892.htm
http://letsgopens.com/scripts/dbman/box/2893.htm

Both games were sellouts. 17,148 for each.

Jacob is online now  
Old
07-07-2004, 10:53 PM
  #25
paxtang
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Harrisburg
Posts: 2,242
vCash: 500
A) Plenty of PA residents are Pen fans, simply based on the fact that half the state leans towards Pittsburgh, and half leans toward Philly. As a Central PA resident, I know this for a fact.

B) I don't see how anyone could be hostile towards the Pens for doing this. I mean, it's not like the team has given us a real reason to dislike them, there is no cross state rivalry, why not just support a PA team? Blanket attacks on them are stupid IMO.

C)Plenty of teams are in a financial situation. Without a new stadium, the Pens are screwed, it isn't because the city doesn't care about them. And to get a new stadium, they need to be creative to raise money, because Pitt's economy isn't exactly Philly's. Cut the damn city a break.


Last edited by paxtang: 07-08-2004 at 12:23 AM.
paxtang is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.