HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Player of the Game & The Good, The Bad, The Redden: Game #78 @ New York Islanders

View Poll Results: Player of the Game: Game #77 @ New York Islanders
Sean Avery 19 24.36%
Ryan Callahan 2 2.56%
Brandon Dubinsky 4 5.13%
Ruslan Fedotenko 3 3.85%
Chad Johnson 4 5.13%
Henrik Lundqvist 4 5.13%
Ryan McDonagh 3 3.85%
Vaclav Prospal 8 10.26%
Michael Sauer 1 1.28%
Marc Staal 1 1.28%
Other 29 37.18%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-01-2011, 10:13 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I disagree with every point. Except maybe blowout argument. Who cares about score but fans? Win or loss that 's what matter. Torts outplayed Laviolette, IMO. And totally lost to funny looking fishstick coach. Motivation is a fundamental coach's responsibility too.
It's on the players. They know how they have to play and they've shown it enough this season for us to know that torts has them generally thinking the right way. How the **** can he know if they are going to come out and just be a disgrace one night.

For as up and down as this season has been, most nights they look like the leave all their effort on the ice. Sometimes they can't hack it because of their lack of skill but I've rarely questioned their effort level this season. That's on the coach. But you can't coach skill.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

if this is true all you can do is laugh...
as young and exciting as the team may be the organization is run by a bunch of moderately trained chimps...how do you screw up a lineup card? honestly...

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:29 AM
lbrowne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHamiltonsTan View Post
http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

if this is true all you can do is laugh...
as young and exciting as the team may be the organization is run by a bunch of moderately trained chimps...how do you screw up a lineup card? honestly...
April Fools?

lbrowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 10:33 AM
GeorgeHamiltonsTan

im thinkin it has to be...lol

GeorgeHamiltonsTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 11:06 AM
Melrose_Jr.

The on-ice officials would have caught the error on the lineup card, probably before the game began. I've seen it happen before and the scratched player was sent to the locker room before the faceoff.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:09 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by owedoyle View Post
I'm an Islander fan and I find this hilarious, I knew Capuano looked like "someone" now I know who. well done

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:30 PM
Pizza

I am completely baffled by the last two games.

The team completely went against who they have been the whole season.

This is a team that is showing it's lack of maturity right now. That can happen when a team is on the verge of taking things to the next level. Sometimes young guys forget what it takes to mentally prepare, to get their head in the right place. When that happens the result is what we are seeing right now.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by asakuj View Post
A loss like this to a team like that at this point of the season. Unacceptable.

I think it's time you realize that maybe you were beat by a better team.

Islanders are not in the playoff hunt. That's a fact. Their season was killed by their notorious Oct-Dec losing streak. But look past the current standings and you'll see a different picture. They changed coaches, and their rebuilt roster of babies started growing up. Since December 15, Islanders have the third most points in the East. That means for the past 50 games (not a small sample), they have been playing outstanding hockey. Rangers? 12th most points since that date.

Every game counts, and that's why the Rangers are in the hunt and Isles are not. However, for the Rangers to think they should have easily beaten "a team like that" is misguided.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post

Islanders are not in the playoff hunt. That's a fact. Their season was killed by their notorious Oct-Dec losing streak. But look past the current standings and you'll see a different picture. They changed coaches, and their rebuilt roster of babies started growing up. Since December 15, Islanders have the third most points in the East. That means for the past 50 games (not a small sample), they have been playing outstanding hockey. Rangers? 12th most points since that date.

Every game counts, and that's why the Rangers are in the hunt and Isles are not. However, for the Rangers to think they should have easily beaten "a team like that" is misguided.
Good point but what was the schedule difficulty comparison too? Injuries? etc. All of that come into play too. Plus it doesn't take much tor ealize when people say "Losing to a team like the Isles" we are referring to the fact that the franchise has been such an abject disaster that it may have to relocate soon and is perennially bottom 5 in the league. We all know Tavares, okposo, Nino, possibly Moulson and grabner will bring the team back and soon but for now I'd still put the isles in garbage territory...

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:

Food for thought here.

Since Dec 16th ("50 games ago") the Isles went EXACTLY .500. Sure they got a few more extra points here and there by getting to OT but someone else still got 1 more point. Even if they went .500 hockey (which according to you is "outstanding") they still would be sitting outside looking in. Toronto is above .500 on the year and they are sitting outside. Carolina is above .500 on the year and they are sitting outside. I disagree with "outstanding". There are only 5 teams that have played "outstanding hockey". Philly, Washington, Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit. Have other teams been good? Sure. But your Isles HAVE NOT. If they were playing "outstanding" in the last 50 they would be would be in it and NYR would be sitting in 9th.

Plus,
Why is it in the last 50 games (a good enough sample to measure implicated by your words "not a small sample") your "better team" was beaten 7-2 by NYR, 2-1 by EDM, 6-4 by OTT, 5-2 by NJ, 4-2 by Car, 5-3 by Tor, 2-1 by Tor, 6-3 by NYR, 3-2 by NJ and 2-1 by At, all of which are sitting in a lower position than the team you claim yours is better than? My point here is that you can't simply use a single game as a measuring stick. The Isles were on last night. They are young, have nothing to lose and were taking chances while the Rangers instead of taking chances, took a crap. Is very simple for anyone with half a brain to see. They got out-hustled, out-worked and did nothing in game to change that.

Skrimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:32 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

I've had trouble with my internet connection for the last couple of days, so I haven't caught the two last games...

A 1-0 loss to the Sabres, then this? The ****'s going on?

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:35 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
I've had trouble with my internet connection for the last couple of days, so I haven't caught the two last games...

We haven't had a regular GDT for the last two. I blame you for the losses loffen!

Old
04-01-2011, 01:47 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:

You might be the luckiest person ever to not have to witness what has happened, mainly last night. Good to see you're back though.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
You might be the luckiest person ever to not have to witness what has happened, mainly last night. Good to see you're back though.
I hate missing games. But I think you're onto something right here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
We haven't had a regular GDT for the last two. I blame you for the losses loffen!
I know rite. lawl

This sucks. ****

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrimpy View Post
Food for thought here.

Since Dec 16th ("50 games ago") the Isles went EXACTLY .500. Sure they got a few more extra points here and there by getting to OT but someone else still got 1 more point. Even if they went .500 hockey (which according to you is "outstanding") they still would be sitting outside looking in. Toronto is above .500 on the year and they are sitting outside. Carolina is above .500 on the year and they are sitting outside. I disagree with "outstanding". There are only 5 teams that have played "outstanding hockey". Philly, Washington, Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit. Have other teams been good? Sure. But your Isles HAVE NOT. If they were playing "outstanding" in the last 50 they would be would be in it and NYR would be sitting in 9th.

Plus,
Why is it in the last 50 games (a good enough sample to measure implicated by your words "not a small sample") your "better team" was beaten 7-2 by NYR, 2-1 by EDM, 6-4 by OTT, 5-2 by NJ, 4-2 by Car, 5-3 by Tor, 2-1 by Tor, 6-3 by NYR, 3-2 by NJ and 2-1 by At, all of which are sitting in a lower position than the team you claim yours is better than? My point here is that you can't simply use a single game as a measuring stick. The Isles were on last night. They are young, have nothing to lose and were taking chances while the Rangers instead of taking chances, took a crap. Is very simple for anyone with half a brain to see. They got out-hustled, out-worked and did nothing in game to change that.

Isles have gone 25-18-7 in their last 50 games. That's well above .500.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:53 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Good: Fedotenko had strong game
Bad: Lundqvist (CJ should start). Staal was awful
Terrible: Torts. Lacks preparation from video analysis before the game to press conferences after. The post game was an embarrassment, someone has to tell the moron he is paid to meet the press. He should have said that he misjudge the opponent and as a result led the team in the wrong direction, so when Rangers got outplayed due to his lack of comprehension it looked as if players didn't play well. Fire him!!!
Nice April Fool's joke, almost got me for a second.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Isles have gone 25-18-7 in their last 50 games. That's well above .500.
Can you do math? 25 out of 50 is 50%. That's what is referred to as .500...
You don't simply divide that last number in 25-18-7 and add that to the first column. It still means "LOSS". Exactly .500

Last edited by Skrimpy: 04-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Mastrosimone View Post
Nice April Fool's joke, almost got me for a second.
Seriously. I know it was probably tough for CJ to come in last night, but he looked absolutely awful.

Old
04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what the hell are you talking about? out coached? the team played like absolute crap. you dont get outcoached in blowouts, you get outcoached in close games. the rangers didnt show up to play. period. their PP was awful, their offensive zone play was awful, their defensive zone play was awful, their effort level was beyond pathetic, their puck pursuit was nonexistant. thats not poor coaching, frankly its flat out stupidity to say he got "out coached"

i expect a whole lot more from you Ola. you want to blame him for not getting his team ready for a near playoff like game, i call shenanigans on that too. a coach shouldnt have to wake up his team, especially not one thats showed up almost every night and given 150% effort.
Agreed 100% great post

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:57 PM
kovazub94

First time this season I turned off the game ( I DVRed it) before I finished watching. Isles were giving us this game on a plate with all those stupid penalties and the Rangers played like "no, please take it back - we don't need it either".
I was just cursing watching them work what was like non-stop PP, then turned it off for a short while disgusted after Isles scored first goal off of give away. Cool down a bit and turned it back on just to watch the Rangers let in the 2nd with similarly zero defensive resistance. Continued to watch thinking maybe they would wake up realizing that they could lose this game but nothing even close. Turned it off completely after 3rd goal.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 01:59 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Oh silly Isles fans, thinking you have a good team because you beat us.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:

never leave again you are our good luck charm

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 02:50 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
It's on the players. They know how they have to play and they've shown it enough this season for us to know that torts has them generally thinking the right way. How the **** can he know if they are going to come out and just be a disgrace one night.

For as up and down as this season has been, most nights they look like the leave all their effort on the ice. Sometimes they can't hack it because of their lack of skill but I've rarely questioned their effort level this season. That's on the coach. But you can't coach skill.
Let me come up with analogy. Players are like an orchestra. Sure there are better and no so good performers out there, but when symphony doesn't sound right it's conductor's fault. It is up to him to balance everything hi/she has got.
Even if team comes out flat, there are certain tools at coach's disposal that could allow him to compensate for individuals.
The fact that we had so many odd man rushes and defensive lapses had little to do with effort. But it had a lot to do with the game plan. Torts decided to run-n-gun against what he perceived to be an inferior team and got burnt. Lack of PP success was because the team was nervous. But that was the reflection of coach's status. All and all it's Torts.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Skrimpy

Quote:
Let me come up with analogy. Players are like an orchestra. Sure there are better and no so good performers out there, but when symphony doesn't sound right it's conductor's fault. It is up to him to balance everything hi/she has got.
Even if team comes out flat, there are certain tools at coach's disposal that could allow him to compensate for individuals.
The fact that we had so many odd man rushes and defensive lapses had little to do with effort. But it had a lot to do with the game plan. Torts decided to run-n-gun against what he perceived to be an inferior team and got burnt. Lack of PP success was because the team was nervous. But that was the reflection of coach's status. All and all it's Torts.
That sounds very reasonable to me.

Old
04-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:

How can you compare a hockey team to an orchestra

A hockey team practices then plays a game, practices then plays a game.

An orchestra practices for months than plays a couple concerts. If they don't get it right after months of playing to themselves then they should be fired. The rangers have gotten it right a lot this year, last night was just a bad game. How can you blame a blowout on torts. There's NOTHING he could have done to save that team last night, nothing.