HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is anyone else going nuts??

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 04:44 PM
majicpixie

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
Is anyone else going nuts??

What's with the lack of news on signings and resignings? The draft is over, Canada Day and the 4th of July are both over. You can't tell me that no one is signed.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Not me. The silence is music to my ears.

1)Hopefully this means we're finally concentrating on getting youth into the system and creating a place where they can succeed then advance.

2)Who gives a turkey about next season!? There's very little chance of a full season, it should be about getting as many of the young guys valuable experience for the future.

I'm more interested in seeing progress than wins next year. Progress from Lundmark, Jessiman, Balej, Baranka, Tyutin, Montoya, Dawes, Murray, Moore's, Blackie - wherever they end up playing, I want to see them getting icetime and putting forth the effort. Realistically, thats as good as it will get for this team right now.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:09 PM
Balej20*

I'm happy we havent signed any over priced free agent. Finally...

Old
07-07-2004, 05:29 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie
What's with the lack of news on signings and resignings? The draft is over, Canada Day and the 4th of July are both over. You can't tell me that no one is signed.
I am glad we aren't on a signing spree like in years past but also hoping that Sather has his eyes set on a role players (not stars! ROLE players to fill holes) and is in talks with them as we speak.

Old
07-07-2004, 05:31 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13
I am glad we aren't on a signing spree like in years past but also hoping that Sather has his eyes set on a role players (not stars! ROLE players to fill holes) and is in talks with them as we speak.
Yep, role players who are gonna lead by example for the kids. Thats all i want.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:40 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13

is there such a thing as first-line role players? We need about 2 of them. And about one 2nd line role player, too.

Old
07-07-2004, 08:45 PM
little a from da bx

craig conroy would have been nice , but any good role platying vet nyr signs is gonna be old and only valuable for 3rd or 4th line duty ( well there is not much good vets left to sign, unless its d), unless rolston or some one of that age... i also guessi wouldnt mind going with a young offennsive lineup just let th d get a couple vets like 2 or vets would be good. let the kids on d learn the game now get some expience on "d" and let our youth fwds put some pucks in the net... i dont know

Old
07-07-2004, 08:59 PM
Pearl Necklace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Not me. The silence is music to my ears.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Old
07-07-2004, 09:59 PM
TheZherdev

the best possible role model is iginla though. thats one over priced player i wouldnt mind trading for. he literally lead calgary to the finals single handedly and i heard calgary doesnt have the finances to keep him.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:07 PM
DarthSather99

I Love this silence. I believe Sather made some offers but those players got better numbers elsewhere so that is where they went. Everything being equal, No free agent wants to play here unless it's to retire and become a fat cat. We will have young energetic hungry players fighting for a spot in the NHL and for everything that goes along with that. I LOVE IT.

Old
07-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Gamma82

The silence is golden. I have seen enough of the July splashes from Rangers that have led to nothing during the season. With no CBA signed and the uncertainty that brings this is the perfect time for the Rangers to remain quiet in the off season. It is not like one or two signings this month are going to lead to a Cup next June.

The only sginings I am interested from the Rangers is if they are going to sign some of their College talent to pro contracts.

Old
07-07-2004, 11:24 PM
majicpixie

Send a message via ICQ to majicpixie Send a message via AIM to majicpixie Send a message via MSN to majicpixie
I hate the silence. I want to know what's going on, LOL! I'm not just talking about big name FA's, but also prospects that need to be signed (Chad, Ulmer, Grenier, etc).

Are Giroux and Tyutin FA's? They're listed here... http://bb.hockeybird.com/viewtopic.p...e6c149a9742878, but not here...http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html.

(btw, does anybody know how reliable the hockeybird web site is? I don't mean just the messageboard either, but the articles on the site, too.)

Old
07-08-2004, 05:42 AM
pld459666

for those that are happy we haven't signed any big named players

be guarded in your comments as the biggest fish have yet to ne signed.

Selanne, Kariya, Recchi are still out there lurking, waiting. Waiting for the Rangers to get that itch that they all know is coming, an itch so strong that when they start scratching, money just falls from the Gardens pockets.

Kariya made just 1.2 million last year, he's going to be looking for a nice contract and with the lact of LW, I could see Sather kicking his tires.

How About Selanne, he's only 12 years removed from that wonderful 76 goal performance.

When a junkie is "not feeling well" because he hasn't gotten a taste he gets the shakes real bad, Sather must feel like a junkie that hasn't gotten fixed in 8 days.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

Me, I've been nuts for years...

But I LOVE the fact the Rangers have been silent.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:20 AM

Hello, first post, yada yada.

Not signing any players makes little to no sense at all. Rebuilding isn't about taking 18 year old kids and throwing them on the ice, simply waiting for them to turn into stars. It's about taking your youth and giving them a good environment and a chance to grow.

We *need* to sign players because our team is woefully inadequate without. It doesn't help to bring up our future hopefuls and let them get run over by bigger, faster, stronger, smarter NHL veterans.

It *does* help to bring them onto the team supported by veterans that can settle the kids down and take some of the nervous edge off by being there. I'm not thinking about stars, here. I'm thinking about good, solid guys that are never a liability on the ice. It seems nowadays not giving up a goal while you're on the ice is as valuable as getting one for your team. The former player is also cheaper, on average.

We have Jagr to spark an offense, and I wouldn't mind it if we got our paws on Kariya. He's not what I would call a major injury threat, at least no more than any other star we've ever had, but he is still top 10 in the NHL in terms of footspeed, and one hell of an exciting player. Put him on a line with Holik and let Jagr be a one-man show with 2 more defensive minded linemates to round out another line. This lets the young players shut down other teams and worry first about not doing the stupid things to give up a goal. Once they have the confidence that they're not going to be the goat, then they'll take chances to be the hero.

Old
07-08-2004, 08:34 AM
drewcon40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337
Not signing any players makes little to no sense at all. Rebuilding isn't about taking 18 year old kids and throwing them on the ice, simply waiting for them to turn into stars. It's about taking your youth and giving them a good environment and a chance to grow.

With all due respect. I am sure that we will sign a player or two for next season. We have Bobby Holik, Jaromir Jagr as Forwards. Tom Poti and Karel Rachunek on defense who are still young but with multiple years of NHL experience. We also have Darius Kasapraitis sunder contract for another 4 years. Mike Dunham in net.

So, in the unlikely scenario that we do not sign anyone, our roster will still have it's share of veterans. As much as everyone wants to move Poti, he, Karel and DK will be on D with Tytun, Pock, and pick a youngster (Lampman, Kontradiev).

Maybe we need a center and a LW for the top line???

Old
07-08-2004, 08:59 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:

Welcome to the board!!!!

You're right, and as drewcon said, there are signings coming. There's holes to fill, no doubt.

I think if the Rangers really had their heart set on 1 or 2 specific players, they would have gone out and signed them. I think Sather's really shopping the market, looking for the right players to sign short contracts for modest amounts. Those aren't the type of UFA signings you see in the first week or 2 anyway, particularly from non-contenders.

Sather also seems content to prepare for a lockout. That's definitely a risky strategy to follow, but at this point, the Rangers don't have a lot to lose by waiting it out.

Old
07-08-2004, 10:34 AM
L.I.RangerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicpixie
I hate the silence. I want to know what's going on, LOL! I'm not just talking about big name FA's, but also prospects that need to be signed (Chad, Ulmer, Grenier, etc).

Are Giroux and Tyutin FA's? They're listed here... http://bb.hockeybird.com/viewtopic.p...e6c149a9742878, but not here...http://www.geocities.com/floridapant.../free2004.html.

(btw, does anybody know how reliable the hockeybird web site is? I don't mean just the messageboard either, but the articles on the site, too.)

Quote:
UFA's listed by www.tsn.ca

Group III - Pavel Bure, Eric Lindros, Sandy McCarthy, Jamie McLennan, Mark Messier, Boris Mironov, Jamie Pushor. Group VI - Bobby Andrews, Cory Larose, Jeff Paul. Non-Tendered - Joel Bouchard, Benoit Dusablon, Josh Green, Jeff Heerema, Jan Hlavac, John Jakopin, Dan Lacouture, Chris McAllister.

RFA's listed:

Mike Green, Martin Grenier, Matthew Kinch, Lucas Lawson, Jamie Lundmark, Dale Purinton, Karel Rachunek, Layne Ulmer, Chad Wiseman
That means Giroux and Tyutin are still under contract.

HockeyBird is a pretty good site, Rodent posts here on occasion.

They took the information from www.ctnow.com which is a local Hartford paper.

Since the Rangers usually don't release contract info, it is hard to keep everything straight.

Old
07-08-2004, 10:53 AM

Well, to be clear on my end, I don't see the point in bringing more than 4 rookies onto the team at one time. It's a lot to ask seeing as how the kids are going to be expected to deal with the NY Media and the pressures of playing in MSG.

I know we have a weak core of veterans already, but I'd like to stock the stable with some good reliable players that aren't necessarily stars. The one good thing this potential lockout can do is to bring a bit of sanity and correction to rosters. Players like Simon and Barnaby are good players to have on a team like this, but not at more than a $2mm salary.

Also, I don't really have any problems with either Holik or Jagr. The two probably shouldn't be playing together, but Holik traditionally excelled when given two REALLY fast and aggressive forwards. Toughness counts here, and scoring savvy is only optional. Give him two aggressive, hard-nosed forechecking wingers, and I think he'll make the entire line productive in both the "don't give one up" and the "get one on the board" sense.

Jagr... well, he's one-sided and streaky, as of late, but exactly the kind of player meant for MSG. For the same reason I wanted Bure here, I thought Jagr would blossom where most others wilt. Let him be the star, let him get the attention. He wants it. And at, what, a net $7mm a year to us he's a bargain, as far as I'm concerned.

Let's just get solid, nonspectacular players to give the kids a safe playground.

Old
07-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Welcome to the board!!!!
Thanks!

Old
07-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Let's just get solid, nonspectacular players to give the kids a safe playground.
Well said, I think most of us are expecting to see those type of players signed eventually.

Old
07-08-2004, 11:30 AM
kazo

Quote:

We have Jagr to spark an offense, and I wouldn't mind it if we got our paws on Kariya. He's not what I would call a major injury threat, at least no more than any other star we've ever had, but he is still top 10 in the NHL in terms of footspeed, and one hell of an exciting player. Put him on a line with Holik and let Jagr be a one-man show with 2 more defensive minded linemates to round out another line. This lets the young players shut down other teams and worry first about not doing the stupid things to give up a goal. Once they have the confidence that they're not going to be the goat, then they'll take chances to be the hero.
I think you've forgotten about Kariya's concussion history. Only one severe knock on the head but is was a beaut. Every bit as bad as any Lindros has had.

Old
07-08-2004, 11:49 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't mind the silence at all.

We don't know what the new CBA will bring. If there is a cap of some kind, there may be some useful RFAs who file for arbitration and win (and even lose in some situations)
who will not be re-signed by their teams because of a pending hard cap or luxury tax.

Some of the teams signing free agents may have a rude awakening when a deal is finally worked out.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:19 PM

I certainly have not forgotten his "concussion history." You might have forgotten the intense training he put himself through to help prevent this in the future, strengthening his neck in particular. When was the last concussion he had? I think it was '98.

I know that once you get your bell rung you're more prone to it, but let's not put him in the same category as Eric One-Hit-Away-From-A-Wheelchair-But-Still-Skates-With-His-Head-Dwon Lindros.

I just think that he's the kind of player I like to have. REALLY fast, skilled, and smart. Only thing is that he's not a nice *person* at all. Giving him a center like Holik and one other fleet-footed forward (rookie?) that can go into the corners, and I think that makes a complete line that can score and shut down the other team with ease.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:40 PM
kazo

Quote:
I certainly have not forgotten his "concussion history." You might have forgotten the intense training he put himself through to help prevent this in the future, strengthening his neck in particular. When was the last concussion he had? I think it was '98.

I know that once you get your bell rung you're more prone to it, but let's not put him in the same category as Eric One-Hit-Away-From-A-Wheelchair-But-Still-Skates-With-His-Head-Dwon Lindros.

I just think that he's the kind of player I like to have. REALLY fast, skilled, and smart. Only thing is that he's not a nice *person* at all. Giving him a center like Holik and one other fleet-footed forward (rookie?) that can go into the corners, and I think that makes a complete line that can score and shut down the other team with ease.
I don't see the point in adding a 25-30 goal player who is not going to have much talent around him and who will take a physical pounding on a nightly basis. Especially given the fact that the Rangers are likely to be not very physical next year, I'd stay as far away from NY as possible if I were him.

Again if you want Kariya just because you like him as a player, fine. But adding him as a piece to the puzzle? No way, IMO.

Closed Thread