HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Sweden

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2004, 06:16 PM
Poikilitic

vCash: 500
Sweden

So, what are their chances, who's captain? Are the goalies ready?

Old
07-08-2004, 12:08 PM
Leetchie

Send a message via AIM to Leetchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum

I'm gonna guess Markus Naslund ends up being captain, with Mats Sundin being a close second.

Is Henrik Lundqvist ready? We'll see. He's got plenty of international experience but never against a bunch of NHL All-Star teams (that actually play with passion, not like in the All-Star Game). As a Rangers fan, I hope he does well.

Old
07-08-2004, 12:51 PM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leetchie
I'm gonna guess Markus Naslund ends up being captain, with Mats Sundin being a close second.

Is Henrik Lundqvist ready? We'll see. He's got plenty of international experience but never against a bunch of NHL All-Star teams (that actually play with passion, not like in the All-Star Game). As a Rangers fan, I hope he does well.
I don't think Näslund will become captain. He's one of the candidates though.

Players who can become captain:

1. Mats Sundin
2. Jörgen Jönsson
3. Nicklas Lidström
4. Mattias Norström
5. Markus Näslund

Sundin is the most probably choice. Like Steve Yzerman is revered for his leadership in north america Sundin is always thought of as the Big Leader here in sweden. Jörgen Jönsson is a clear 2nd choice since he's been the captain of the World Championship team the last 3-4 years and he has also played well over 200 games in the national team, more than anyone else on the roster. Lidström, Norström and Näslund are good candidates as well but there is a clear distance between the 1-2 guys and the 3-5 guys.

Dark horses: Daniel Alfredsson, Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg (Yes! This kid has all the qualities of a real captain!)

Goalie is a big problem. I hope they go with either Tellqvist or Lundqvist because both play a more modern style of goaltending than Salo. Salo might be a guy that can play exceptional in a few games but he can also be lousy. The younger guys have a more even level.

Swedens chances are pretty good on paper, but if they reach the semis then I'm happy. They will choke once again.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:59 PM
Poikilitic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddarn
I don't think Näslund will become captain. He's one of the candidates though.

Players who can become captain:

1. Mats Sundin
2. Jörgen Jönsson
3. Nicklas Lidström
4. Mattias Norström
5. Markus Näslund

Sundin is the most probably choice. Like Steve Yzerman is revered for his leadership in north america Sundin is always thought of as the Big Leader here in sweden. Jörgen Jönsson is a clear 2nd choice since he's been the captain of the World Championship team the last 3-4 years and he has also played well over 200 games in the national team, more than anyone else on the roster. Lidström, Norström and Näslund are good candidates as well but there is a clear distance between the 1-2 guys and the 3-5 guys.

Dark horses: Daniel Alfredsson, Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg (Yes! This kid has all the qualities of a real captain!)

Goalie is a big problem. I hope they go with either Tellqvist or Lundqvist because both play a more modern style of goaltending than Salo. Salo might be a guy that can play exceptional in a few games but he can also be lousy. The younger guys have a more even level.

Swedens chances are pretty good on paper, but if they reach the semis then I'm happy. They will choke once again.
I really hope they dont choke again....Belorussia...

Old
07-09-2004, 06:49 AM
Leo Naphta

There really is no question mark surrounding the captaincy. It will be Sundin.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:56 AM
Petey21

I think the C will be worn by Sundin, the A's will be worn by Alfredsson and either Lidström, Näslund or Jönsson (Jönsson might not be very wellknown outside of Sweden but he as alot of international experience and is a good leader, but with a team based on NHL players it's not a given that he'll wear even an A).

Goalies, well that's hard to say, I think the talent is there but other than Salo the goalies are pretty inexperienced, Lundqvist is a great goalie but has never played in the smaller rinks yet, so I would think Tellqvist and Salo will be the main goalies.

Old
07-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Riddarn
1980-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey21
..or Jönsson (Jönsson might not be very wellknown outside of Sweden but he as alot of international experience and is a good leader, but with a team based on NHL players it's not a given that he'll wear even an A).
Perhaps. If he gets a spot on the starting lineup then I say it's not unlikely that he'll get an A or even the C. He is, after all, one of Hardy's favourites.

Old
07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
BuppY
100% Aloe Vera

I believe Sundin will wear the C and will lead team Sweden.. and Tellqvist will most likely be the starter

Old
07-10-2004, 08:18 PM
BlueAndWhite

This is a serious question - but has there ever been a time where Sundin hasn't been captain of the Swedish squad ?

I'm looking for examples besides when he was young (i.e. WJC or his first senior international tournament or any tournament where he joined the team while the team started and only played 1-2 games max).

Old
07-10-2004, 09:20 PM
Poikilitic

hmm i also think Sundin gonna wear the C. I always enjoy it when he's captain. I really hope they can do it this year! (i dont want Canada to win it again or USA)

Old
07-10-2004, 10:11 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Sundin will be captain for a couple of reasons:

---He's always captain

---Despite their being many other candidates, some arguably more deserving, he is a senior member of the team, and in international tournaments, its usually better to give it to the old guys

As for their chances, I'd say that they would be considered the #2 team behind Canada even with the questionable goaltending.

Old
07-10-2004, 11:00 PM
BlueAndWhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
---Despite their being many other candidates, some arguably more deserving, he is a senior member of the team, and in international tournaments, its usually better to give it to the old guys
I'm just curious as to who is more deserving than Sundin ? Jorgen Jonsson seems to be one candidate...

Old
07-11-2004, 05:48 AM
Kronblom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
This is a serious question - but has there ever been a time where Sundin hasn't been captain of the Swedish squad ?

I'm looking for examples besides when he was young (i.e. WJC or his first senior international tournament or any tournament where he joined the team while the team started and only played 1-2 games max).
Calle Johansson was the captain at the Nagano Olympics with Sundin and Lidström wearing the A. But expect Mats to be the captain this time, anything else would seem very strange.

Old
07-11-2004, 06:30 AM
Kronblom

Captains for Team Sweden since 1996

1996 World Championships: Jonas Bergkvist *
1996 Word Cup: Calle Johansson
1997 World Championships: Stefan Nilsson *
1998 Olympics: Calle Johansson
1998 World Championships: Mats Sundin
1999 World Championships: Nichlas Falk *
2000 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2001 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson (Mats played the last 2 games)
2002 Olympics: Mats Sundin
2002 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2003 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson (Mats missed the first 2 games)
2004 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2004 World Cup: ?

*: Mats Sundin didn´t participate

Old
07-11-2004, 11:16 AM
VOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum

I am actually predicting that they will win the tournament. It will also be Lundqvist big coming out party as well. Yeah I know people will say that Team Sweden with Lindstrom and Forsburg couldn't beat Canada's "B" team this past spring at the World Championship but everything will come together for the Swedes in September and they will skate away as champions. They are past due.

Old
07-14-2004, 08:56 PM
SChan*

please save me from Jönsson.

Closed Thread