HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Draft Thread X

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2011, 06:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

new managers make me very upset
Yup, it sucks being scooped by a team making up old picks right before you go on the clock. It happened to me with Mike Richards.

Old
04-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Leafs Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Yup, it sucks being scooped by a team making up old picks right before you go on the clock. It happened to me with Mike Richards.
I think it's worse being scooped by a team making up old picks when you are on the clock. I got scooped because I posted my pick about two minutes too late once

Old
04-03-2011, 06:34 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
I told a pal of mine about ATD, and he asked who actually do we pick, after hearing the answer "Everybody", he asked "Even Bobrov?", yeah, why not he dominated his compitition. "Sure he did," says he, "but only because he was the only plyer in that league who was able to skate in every direction".

I thought it was funny. And particullary true.
Lol. Out of curiosity, was the friend Russian?

Old
04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Rough, I liked Richards as well, a guy who deserved obvious promotion from the MLD. Then again I guess those teams need them more than we do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
I think it's worse being scooped by a team making up old picks when you are on the clock. I got scooped because I posted my pick about two minutes too late once
That sucks LF I wouldn't have a chance to get him considering I was on the clock after BM67 grabbed him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
That's why you should wait until later to make bios..
I had started one for van Boxmeer <__< considering mark and the Phantoms already had a 7th d-man. Not knowing the replacements were coming in to shatter my shortlist

In a nutshell, who would you rather: Kronwall or van Boxmeer?

Old
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post

In a nutshell, who would you rather: Kronwall or van Boxmeer?
... Kiessling.

Old
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
BM67

The Peterborough Petes will select with the third of their skipped picks, pick #788, a revered playoff hero who assisted on the first OT Cup winning goal in NHL history, Butch Keeling.

Note that Keeling scored a playoff OT goal and assisted on Bill Cook's OT Stanley Cup winner, and that the Rangers only played 8 playoff OT games during his Ranger career, and they lost 3 of them.

Quote:
Left-winger Butch Keeling was a fine goal scorer who also competed well in the playoffs. He spent a dozen years in the NHL, mostly with the New York Rangers, and won a Stanley Cup in 1933 with the Blueshirts.

Keeling enjoyed a fine debut in the NHL by scoring eleven goals in 30 games with the Toronto Maple Leafs in 1926-27. He spent one more year with Toronto before he was traded to the Rangers with John Ross Roach for Lorne Chabot and Alex Gray. Keeling became a constant in the Blueshirts' line-up over the next decade and some of his linemates included Babe Siebert and Murray Murdoch. On March 21, 1929, he scored only the second overtime goal in Rangers history when he accounted for the winner in the quarter-finals versus the New York Americans.
- Legends of Hockey Bio

Quote:
NHL LEADER
Most playoff points — 1929
Most playoff goals — 1929

RANGERS TEAM LEADER
Most goals — 1936-37
Most playoff points — 1929, 1930 (tie)
Most playoff goals — 1929, 1935 (tie), 1937 (tie)
Most playoff assists — 1930

After coming to the Rangers in a blockbuster deal that sent goaltender Lorne Chabot to Toronto, Keeling quickly won a following in New York and lasted 11 seasons with the Blueshirts. A steady winger, he was part of the 1933 championship team and led the Rangers in goals four years later at the age of 30.
- New York Rangers All Time Roster

Quote:
Keeling had finally won the Stanley Cup, but his finest campaign as a professional was still yet to come. In 1936–37 he led the Rangers with a career-high 22 goals (third in the league) and matched his previous career best with 26 points. He was fourth in team scoring for the fifth time (he never did place higher than fourth in any of his NHL seasons) and also posted high-water marks in the playoffs, notching three goals and five points as the Rangers advanced to a fifth and deciding game in the Stanley Cup final against the Detroit Red Wings.
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butch_Keeling

Quote:
Butch Keeling started with Toronto St. Pats and in his first year played on a line with ... when Hap Day was moved back to the defense.

Keeling was a big and strong player who was fated to perform always in the shadow of the great Cook-Boucher-Cook line. But the second lines of Keeling-Murdoch-Thompson or Keeling-Murdoch-Dillon were no pushovers. They more than held their end up as the Rangers made the playoffs nine of the ten years Keeling was with them.

Butch was a clean player and very seldom started fights but knew how to take care of himself.

He was on a Cup winning team in 1933 and almost made it again in 1937 when in his eleventh year he led the team in scoring, on a line with Phil Watson and Cecil Dillon.
- The Trail of the Stanley Cup Vol. 2

Quote:
There have been few sturdier forwards in the NHL than Melville "Butch" Keeling.

He was always revered on Broadway for assisting on Bill Cook's sudden-death goal in 1933 that won the Rangers their second Stanley Cup.
- Who's Who in Hockey

Old
04-03-2011, 07:25 PM
BM67

The Peterborough Petes will select with the fourth of their skipped picks, pick #838, a two time 30 goal scorer in the Calder Trophy winner of 76-77 in Willi Plett

Quote:
Clearly Willi Plett was a big, tough player who thrived on aggressiveness and fighting. But he brought much more to the rink than a set of brass knuckles. He could play the game. In 1980-81, with the Calgary Flames, Plett scored a career-high 38 goals.

But not long after his transition to the Minnesota North Stars, in 1982-83, his role was changed from a bellicose goal scorer to exclusively that of a pugilist. As a result his point production fell way off and as he approached age 30, he simply lost the desire to strut around the rink talking tough and fighting. He noted that as he got older, it was as though he became too mature to act that stupid.

In 1987, the Bruins picked him up in the Waiver Draft. With a lineup replete with tough guys, Plett was finally able to assume a role as a support player. With his former nemesis, Terry O'Reilly as coach, Plett enjoyed team leadership that understood his situation as the aging gunslinger. As such, the Bruins made a solid run in the playoffs, making it to the finals, only to be shut out by the Edmonton Oilers. It was Plett's final game in the NHL.
- Legends of Hockey Bio

Quote:
Atlanta Goals Leader: 1976-77 (33)
Calgary Playoffs Goals Leader: 1981 (8, tie)
Minnesota Playoffs Goals Leader: 1984 (6)
Miscellaneous: Set Atlanta/Calgary single-season records (since broken) for points (56), goals (33) and penalty minutes (123) by a right wing in 1976-77. ... Tied Atlanta/Calgary record (since broken) with nine-game point-scoring streaks in 1976-77 and 1977-78.
- http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1975/75080.html

http://hockeystoughguys.blogspot.com/2006/09/willi-plett.html

Old
04-03-2011, 07:44 PM
seventieslord

Oh good, I am up. And it looks like my guys are available.

I will take Bryan McCabe and Bob MacMillan.

On my phone, someone please PM the next guy.

Old
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Techically, they are still on his team but he can add/drop them at the conclusion of the draft. He just preemptively let is know they are dropped in a hilarious manner.
That is exactly correct.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
BM67

The Peterborough Petes will select with the fifth (and last) of their skipped picks, pick #843, one of the hardest working players of the 70s & 80s and two time WHA Avco Cup winner at center/left wing, Terry Ruskowski.

Quote:
Although not very big, Terry Ruskowski played hockey like a fire hydrant capable of starting its own fires. He'd stir things up with his feisty, truculent play and then stand by the door, ready to trade punches with any willing adversary.

During his junior career, he was a standout forward who excelled at setting up goals and winning fights.

Over the next four seasons, Ruskowksi developed into one of the Aeros' top forwards. Although a somewhat slow skater, he had a knack for controlling the puck and setting up scoring chances. And according to his buddy, **** *******, he never lost a fight in the WHA.

In 1978-79, the Winnipeg Jets absorbed the Aeros. There, Preston and Ruskowski were instrumental in leading their team to the final Avco Cup ever awarded. When the WHA merged into the NHL, the Hawks took a much greater interest in Ruskowski. They even gave up their rights to Bobby Hull in order to secure him along with *******.

Ruskowski's leadership and work ethic soon became very apparent in the Hawks' camp. When Keith Magnuson went down with a prolonged injury, "Roscoe," as he was known, became the team's captain.
- Legends of Hockey Bio

Quote:
Following his time in Swift Current, Ruskowski was drafted by the Chicago Blackhawks, but opted to join the up-start World Hockey Association with the Houston Aeros. During his 4-year stay in Houston, Ruskowski was captain for three years, and helped lead the Aeros to an Avco Cup championship in 1977. In 1978 Ruskowski joined the Winnipeg Jets and was a key member of the Jets team that captured the final Avco Cup ever awarded in 1979.

When the WHA disbanded in 1979, Ruskowski joined the Chicago Blackhawks; the team that originally selected him in the 1974 NHL Amateur Draft. While in Chicago he was captain for most of his four-year stay. Early in the 1982-83 season, Ruskowski was traded to the Los Angeles Kings, where once again he became captain of the team.

"Roscoe", as he was known, has always approached hockey with a real passion. Able to set up beautiful goals, or take on the toughest customers on the opposing squad; he played every game as though it were his last. Terry has been a leader on every team he has played on, as evidenced by the number of teams that he has served as captain for. He has always enjoyed the respect of teammates and opponents alike for the way he has approached the game. His skill and leadership has now carried over into his coaching career in the junior and the minor-pro levels, as well. While with the Broncos, Terry was one of the best players and best leaders the team has ever known, and has been one of the most successful former Broncos in hockey following his time in Swift Current. Terry is most deserving of the honour of being inducted into the Swift Current Broncos Hall of Fame.
- Swift Current Broncos Hall of Fame

Quote:
NHL AWARDS AND HONORS
Los Angeles Most Inspirational Player: 1982-83
Pittsburgh Player's Player Award: 1985-86, 1986-87 (co-winner)
Pittsburgh Bastien Award (Good Guy, Media Vote): 1985-86
Chicago Captain: Nov. 6, 1979, to Oct. 23, 1982
Los Angeles Captain: October 1983 to June 30, 1985
Pittsburgh Captain: Nov. 11, 1986, to June 30, 1987
Chicago Points Leader: 1979-80 (70)
Chicago Assists Leader: 1979-80 (55)
Chicago Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1979-80 (252), 1980-81 (225)
Chicago Playoffs Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1980 (22)
Los Angeles Playoffs Assists Leader: 1985 (2, tie)
NON-NHL AWARDS AND HONORS
WHA Avco Trophy: 1975 (Houston), 1979 (Winnipeg)
WHA Playoffs Assists Leader: 1979 (Winnipeg) (12 assists)
WHA Playoffs Penalty-Minutes Leader: 1976 (64), 1977 (67)
Miscellaneous: Served as Houston (WHA) captain from October 1977 until team folded in July 1978.
- Hockey Draft Central

Quote:
Ruskowski is a 5-9, 168-pound package of bursting energy. He would sooner gag than talk about himself. But, at 22, he's a leader of the Aeros. And no one, absolutely no one, works harder.
Outstanding worker, inclined to be brilliant at times ... Very colorful on the ice, belting, digging, creating plays and reloads his gun (stick) after every goal
- The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey 1978 Edition

Old
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Ah..just got back..the internet connection at our school has been ****** lately, where you can basically only get on for a few minutes at a time in our dorm rooms..Sorry bout that. Too bad I couldn't make my picks..but oh well..

NOTE: Advantage2006 goes to the same school as me, so that's why he missed them too.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:36 PM
BM67

You can pick someone besides Ruskowski at least until someone else makes a pick.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:39 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM67 View Post
You can pick someone besides Ruskowski at least until someone else makes a pick.
It's fine. You can take my team..doing a better job than I did.

Old
04-03-2011, 08:56 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Loktev is tough to gauge. I like his stats and the way he played, I just don't like the time in which he was dominant.

I will say that having him as a 4th line MLD RW was an embarrassment of riches, though.

I have them in a spreadsheet, and I forget where I got them. This sheet is well done and highlights the differences between what was determined by the hockey compendium, and what was found by the HSP, so my assumption is that this came from the HSP.

In the 1954 and 1955 seasons he had the league's worst sv%, and in 1956 it was 2nd worst. In 1957 it was back to the bottom again.
could you post those numbers for all goalies?

i calculated lumley's numbers from HSP weeks ago and i think he was .923 in '54 and .912 in '53, but i am not sure. i also don't know where those ranked.

Old
04-03-2011, 09:14 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
could you post those numbers for all goalies?

i calculated lumley's numbers from HSP weeks ago and i think he was .923 in '54 and .912 in '53, but i am not sure. i also don't know where those ranked.
I will post what I have when I get the chance later. I assume you are just after 1953 and 1954?

Jarek... a few hours ago as I was passing out for a nap, I thought the same thing you posted about Vancouver - that is, if they always had the most goals as a team, then of course they would have the most assists too.

Chaos... sorry to give up your team like that. I hope you understand that we got to the point where we had no choice.

Advantage2006... you can still have your team back if you want it. As long as you are sure this internet problem is resolved.

Old
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
overpass

Jim Peplinski, F

6'3, 210 lbs

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
Over his nine seasons with the club, he established himself as a solid and consistent performer who missed only 21 games during that time?five of which were lost so that he could play in the Calgary Olympics in 1988. During most of his career as a Flame, he was a team leader, skating alongside his co-captain and linemate, Lanny McDonald. Together, they led the Flames through the great battles of Alberta that were waged against their provincial rival, the Edmonton Oilers.
He plays every forward position.
Hockey Draft Central:
Quote:
Shifted to center for early part of his NHL career after having played right wing up until that point...Shifted to left wing from center prior to 1984-85
Peplinski was a decent even strength scorer. Comparable drafted forwards with 600+ GP from 1981-89:

Player GP ESP ESP/G
Dale Hunter 682 436 0.64
Paul Maclean 604 375 0.62
Mike Foligno 678 417 0.62
Thomas Steen 614 357 0.58
Jim Peplinski 699 390 0.56
Stan Smyl 665 366 0.55
Mel Bridgman 601 315 0.52
Ryan Walter 667 335 0.50
Gaetan Duchesne 601 270 0.45

Peplinski was also very willing to stand up for his teammates or himself, with 102 fighting majors in his career (hockeyfights.com)

Last edited by overpass: 04-03-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old
04-03-2011, 10:17 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
select CAM WARD

04-03-2011, 10:50 PM
TheDevilMadeMe

Raleh is skipped.

Modo selects Anton volchenkov, D

I will attempt to pm jkrx

Old
04-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
# 30 Cam Ward,G
Quote:
Ward was drafted 25th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft.

Ward is a classic butterfly goalie who remains square to the shooter. He is a goalie that enjoys his job, too, and plays better the more fun he is having.Owns a lighting quick glove hand, has excellent rebound control a calm confident nature that allows his team mates to play to there utmost potential. Ward enjoys up-tempo hockey and thrives when he's busy. Prefers to play it safe with the puck.He is a horse of a goalie.

After posting 15 wins, 2 shutouts and suiting up for 23 of Carolina's 25 playoff games the rookie netminder led his team to its first Stanley Cup. Ward became the fourth rookie goaltender to be named the Conn Smythe Trophy winner as most valuable player of the playoffs.(Dryden,Roy, Hextall)
RS 342 173 125 32 .909 2.75 15
PO 41 23 18 4 2.38 .917
Seasons 6
Era mid 2000's -Present
Best Season 2008–09 68 39 23 5 6 2.44 .916
Stanley Cups 1
2007 World Championships (gold medal)
2008 World Championships (silver medal)
All-Rookie Team (2005)
Conn Smythe Trophy (2006)
30 win seasons-4
Top 10 Wins 2007-08 37 (4) 08-09 39 (3) 10-11 35 (3)
2011 All Star Team
Role: Relief Starting Franchise Goalie

Old
04-03-2011, 11:52 PM
VanIslander
Don't waste my time

The newest Pirate is Frank Rankin

The rover was an all-star for six consecutive seasons between 1910-1915, according to the LoH website, three as a 1st teamer, three as a 2nd teamer. He excelled against the top amateurs of his day, at a time when the best players were starting to turn pro. He scored at a three goals a game pace over a 5-year period, over a goal a game in the playoffs; only twice in nine seasons did he not play in a championship final game. He is described in game accounts as having 'pluck' for playing through injuries and provided 'pestering checking'. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1961.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto Sunday World, 1911-01-09
Rankin was the fastest skater and best stickhandler on the ice, and scored some nice goals, his shots being well-placed... Rankin rushed all by himself and scored...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibid, 1912-12-16
... he tore through those easterners like a will o' the wisp, and they kept hitting spots where Frank had been. He shot several goals, some of them under difficult circumstances, netting a couple from the side through a throng of players... Rankin took the puck and came through the whole team and scored the fourth one unassisted with a bullet-like shot...

Last edited by VanIslander: 04-03-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old
04-04-2011, 12:52 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

jkrx and JFA are skipped.

Halifax selects Marian Gaborik

Old
04-04-2011, 01:27 AM
jkrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
was already picked
Yes, just saw it. My pick is coming up shortly.

The Falcons selects, Aaron Ward, D.

Last edited by jkrx: 04-04-2011 at 01:35 AM.
Old
04-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
jkrx and JFA are skipped.

Halifax selects Marian Gaborik
Probably one of the best goal scoring talents available. We were going to pick him if he lasted a bit further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
The OP needs an update - we picked LW John Sorrell with our 892nd pick.
Sorry, I'm not sure how I missed that.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:19 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Tidewater selects RW Arthur Farrell

Selected as part of Lester Patrick's 1925 All-Time Team

Legends of Hockey:
Quote:
Art Farrell grew up the son of a city alderman in Montreal, fourth in a family of eight children. He began his hockey career at College Sainte-Marie while studying there from 1895 to 1897 with future Shamrock teammates Harry Trihey and Fred Scanlan. He joined the Montreal Shamrocks in 1897 as a forward and played on two Stanley Cup winning teams in 1899 and 1900. He once scored five goals in a game against Quebec on March 2, 1901, and was known as one of the men responsible for moving the focus of hockey from individual play to team, or "combination," play.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:31 AM
DoMakc

Quote:
Lol. Out of curiosity, was the friend Russian?
Yes, but I'm sure he didn't see Bobrov playing.

Closed Thread