HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2011 Draft Thread X

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2011, 05:56 AM
MXD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
I'm wondering if I should go edit out David Steckel's name from one of my posts about special teams roles. Heh.
...Short answer : No

If anything, Jordan Staal is a better pick than Malhotra.

I contemplated to pick Staal. Obviously can't play on a offensive line, even for a minute, which was the big no-no.

Old
04-07-2011, 06:14 AM
DoMakc

The Red Wings select assistant coach Todd McLellan to run the power play and manage forwards.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:19 AM
vecens24

I personally think it has more to do with the system that is being run just isn't conducive to extremely skilled players playing well than Kovalev being snake bitten. And I think we all know Kovy has ulterior motives for playing hard right now. And Malkin didn't peak because of him. The locker room that season was so sick of Therrien and had completely tuned him out to that point. A monkey could have gone in and gotten them to play hard at that point as long as Therrien wasn't there.

I'll give Bylsma credit where he's due this year, he deserves the Jack Adams for keeping them afloat in less than stellar circumstances with a turn of roster turnover due to injury. I just don't see his style as conducive to succeeding in the ATD.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:21 AM
vecens24

I know we're on the clock (or already skipped) but I don't have time this morning I gotta run to work. I'm sure arrbez will select soon enough. Sorry. So if we're still on the clock just skip us.

Old
04-07-2011, 07:29 AM
markrander87

With their final pick the Fireworks select a bargin basement 2nd line Playmaking C with 4 top 6 in Assists and 3 top 3's C Marc Savard

Old
04-07-2011, 07:35 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
I think defensively longevity counts for even more than offense, and Pahlsson certainly has that. Staal's been good defensively three years. One best defensive forward on a SC team, one Selke nom. Outside of that he has nothing. I think there are much better out there.
he has played 5 yrs and he is the last spare in a defensive role.

Old
04-07-2011, 08:12 AM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators select a forward who scored over 700 points in the NHL, peaking at 95, with his career centred in the dead puck era. He has played all three forward positions, and has a history with our team's star player. The high point of his NHL career came in the 2001 playoffs when he scored two huge overtime goals, one of which was at the expense of an ATD top-4 defenceman.

Martin Straka, F

Last edited by overpass: 04-07-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old
04-07-2011, 11:04 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
As an associate coach, though?

Besides "the one Cup", he was also adjudged the best coach at the two highest levels of professional hockey. And as you point out, he has a strong regular season resume (that he's still adding to).

Although he's somewhat of a compiler, he's 13th in NHL regular season coaching wins and I believe the entire top 15 has been taken.
not all of them.

Associate coach or not, I'd still want the best guy I could get. I think there are better guys than Crawford out there.

And hey, I'm still kinda defending Crawford here, even if I don't think he's top-40, he's a much more legit pick than Bylsma, who's coached just over 2 years.

Quote:
Oh, and also don't think Staal has any place in this either. By the way I have to come off as the most negative Pens fan ever, but really I'm actually not.
I swear, it's gonna be pick #1400 in the AAA draft and I'm going to say "Regina selects, to anchor our 3rd line, Jordan Staal, and to run our PP, Oleg Tverdovsky" and feel all good about my team, until someone reminds me they were selected 400+ picks ago...

Quote:
I think defensively longevity counts for even more than offense, and Pahlsson certainly has that. Staal's been good defensively three years. One best defensive forward on a SC team, one Selke nom. Outside of that he has nothing. I think there are much better out there.
Just adding a +1 here to make sure no one forgets "defensive longevity". You're not just "automatically" good offensively from an ATD standpoint, so you should not just automatically be good defensively, either.

I think Staal has a legit case as the league's best defensive forward at this moment though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
Cognition, I had a feeling no one else would like this pick as much as me, sorry dude. On the bright side, assistant coach may very well be the least important position in the draft. I think I got by once in the MLD by having Phil Esposito as my assistant to keep things light in the room.
Hehe, I wouldn't say you "got by"...

Quote:
I'm definitely biased against him, but he's been lucky to be in the league so long IMO. Anyone could've coached that Colorado team to a cup, and I think he's partly to blame for the WCE era Canucks not having much playoff success. Don't really know how he was with the Kings, but barring a turnaround in the next couple games, the Stars have gone from leading the division (conference too?) in the first couple months to out of the playoffs. Brad Richards' concussion plays a major role obviously, but IMO Crawford plays a role too if they don't make the post season.

EdiT: So yes, I agree that those years in the NHL have value/longevity that Bylsma doesn't have yet, but Crawford has had some negative seasons too, IMO.
You're not the only one who has opined that he's lucky to keep an NHL job. I've thought so too. We may or may not be right. But the guys with the money to actually spend on that job keep putting him there and that does mean something. You can't have a "negative" season unless you literally destroy a team. You can call all these other years negligible value seasons if you like, but he's never been a negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
With their final pick the Fireworks select a bargin basement 2nd line Playmaking C with 4 top 6 in Assists and 3 top 3's C Marc Savard
He slept... he stole... he was rude to the customers. Still, there goes the best damned employee a convenience store ever had.

actually, there goes arguably the best offensive center remaining. He would have been on the radar for 1st line MLD center. I really thought he was going to make it through.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
By my count everyone since Velociraptor was skipped and I am up.

The Ottawa Senators select a forward who scored over 700 points in the NHL, peaking at 95, with his career centred in the dead puck era. He has played all three forward positions, and has a history with our team's star player. The high point of his NHL career came in the 2001 playoffs when he scored two huge overtime goals, one of which was at the expense of an ATD top-4 defenceman.

Martin Straka, F
Good pick for a versatile spare. And lol at your last sentence, I know exactly who you are talking about.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The four GMs after overpass are all down to an hour clock and were skipped.

We are now on pick 995 - stoneberg.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Halifax selects Jimmy Roberts, RW/D.

Old
04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Good pick for a versatile spare. And lol at your last sentence, I know exactly who you are talking about.
So you know how impressive it was when Straka clowned him 1-on-1!

I'll add the video of that goal when I get home for GMs who don't remember it.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:11 PM
overpass

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Good to see him go in the main draft, he's had a better career than some other active players who were drafted.. Hopefully he can continue his career and keep building his ATD resume.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:38 PM
raleh

Is he the best coach available? Absolutely not. Do I care? Nope! I like him, so I'm gonna pick him. And I think our head coach Don Cherry would work pretty well with him.

Springfield selects assistant coach Ted Nolan.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Good to see him go in the main draft, he's had a better career than some other active players who were drafted.. Hopefully he can continue his career and keep building his ATD resume.
In the last MLD, he was the second best modern point producer after Demitra.

He falls since he's so one dimensional.

Old
04-07-2011, 01:48 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
So you know how impressive it was when Straka clowned him 1-on-1!

I'll add the video of that goal when I get home for GMs who don't remember it.
Heh, to be fair, it was pretty common for that defenseman to be clowned in the first half of his career. Straka's is the most famous because of when it happened (OT in the playoffs) and how bad the clowning was.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:33 PM
BM67

The Peterborough Petes select an underrated defenseman who holds the record for most games played by a Chicago defenseman in both the regular season and playoffs in Bob Murray, D.

Played first line minutes for most of his 15 year career with regular duty on both the PP and PK. Team adjusted +/-: ES GF: 34.2%, ES GA: 33.7%, PGF: 51.6%, PGA: 36.8%.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/m/murrabo02.html

Quote:
Position: Defense / Right Wing
NHL AWARDS AND HONORS
All-Star Game: 1981, 1983 (Chicago)
Chicago Captain: Served as captain from November 1985 until January 1986, while regular captain Darryl Sutter was out with injury.
Chicago Records: Most games played by a defenseman (1,008), most playoff games played by a defenseman (112)
Chicago Playoffs Points Leader: 1978 (5), 1979 (1, tie)
Chicago Playoffs Goals Leader: 1979 (1, tie), 1984 (3T), 1987 (1T)
Chicago Playoffs Assists Leader: 1978 (4)
Miscellaneous: Played right wing at times during his early years in NHL. ... Paired with Doug Wilson on defense for Chicago in late 1970s and early 1980s.
- http://www.hockeydraftcentral.com/1974/74052.html

Quote:
Chicago, with Bob Murray, finally experienced playoff success in 1982 when they lasted to the semi-finals. In a four year stretch, the 'Hawks made the final four in three of those years. Murray played in two All-Star Games, 1981 and 1983, collecting one assist.

In 1990, Bob Murray retired, having been on five Blackhawks teams that finished one round short of the Stanley Cup. He finished his playing career holding the team record among defensemen for games played and was ranked second in scoring among the team's blueliners.
- Legends of Hockey Bio

Old
04-07-2011, 02:34 PM
HomeNugget

Send a message via AIM to HomeNugget
With our final pick in this year's all time draft, the Riots select Paul MacLean, assistant coach.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

LF has 2 hours, then MB. Basically anyone with an outstanding pick can pick now except MB, who has to wait 2 hours.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
jarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeNugget View Post
With our final pick in this year's all time draft, the Riots select Paul MacLean, assistant coach.
Did this really just happen?

Old
04-07-2011, 02:54 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Wackiest draft ever

Old
04-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Derick*

Send a message via MSN to Derick*
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeNugget View Post

Old
04-07-2011, 03:14 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Can someone tell me what Maclean actually does? I'm aware of his title.

Old
04-07-2011, 03:19 PM
DoMakc

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Can someone tell me what Maclean actually does? I'm aware of his title.
When McLellan was there he was in charge for defenceman and PK, after Todd went to SJ he took over forwards and McCrimmon over D and PP.

Old
04-07-2011, 04:12 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoMakc View Post
When McLellan was there he was in charge for defenceman and PK, after Todd went to SJ he took over forwards and McCrimmon over D and PP.
So um, what can he do at this level?

Closed Thread