HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 03:38 AM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

vCash: 500
I do like Gomez's personality and his speed. His passing is okay... What pisses me off to no end though is how he cannot, to save his life, put a god damn puck in the god damn net. It's beyond frustrating.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:47 AM
Mr. Hab

Not gonna hide...!!
Not a Gomez hater, but really hard to come here and write this!!
Not sure what to write about Gomez...!!
So, here's to next year...can't wait to see what happens!

Just my opinion:
invest in DEFENSE...go all out 'cause here's a guarantee...Markov will be injured sooner or later (I want to be so wrong), so...sign him for cheap only and pretend like he's not there and go out and find a solid relatively young top 3 or top 4 dman IF they don't sign Wiz. If it's not Markov's right knee it will be his left one...if it's not his knee it will be his shoulder/face/elbow/ankle/back,etc,etc,etc...our TEAM (and its playoff chances) are more important vs Markov and his salary.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:53 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

He's bad. That's all that needs to be said.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
I am another Gomez fan.

It's a shame to see how he's getting treated by fans and the media and it's certainly not doing Montreal any favors.
Who cares? A shame? The shame is his play. Stop being bleeding heart and sensitive about a player who is the highest paid but one of its least effective. He's garbage through and through. The worst top 2 centre I've seen on this team since we iced Chad Kilger and Craig Darby on 1st and 2nd lines 10 years ago. And even those guys never scored just 7 goals! Ribeiro, Koivu, Lang, hell even Yanic Perreault all did more for this team. Lucky for Gomez that we've been decent since getting him and for that reason this city hasn't been nearly as hard on him as they were on ol Breezy and you're worried about the Habs rep around the league with free agents? Come on.

Old
04-28-2011, 04:52 AM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
JM plays veterans, u havent noticed this after two seasons?
We lost Guy Boucher to keep JM,would you rather have Kirk Muller,or keep JM and his "play not to lose "style. Because game 4 is what cost us this series.3-1 lead,B's call a TO,and JM tells them to play back. We dominated the 1st half of that game,it was our best hockey of the year.50-61 playoff record,no finals appearance.Part of the "just make the playoffs and anything can happen" crowd

Old
04-28-2011, 05:19 AM
slimkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
Who cares? A shame? The shame is his play. Stop being bleeding heart and sensitive about a player who is the highest paid but one of its least effective. He's garbage through and through. The worst top 2 centre I've seen on this team since we iced Chad Kilger and Craig Darby on 1st and 2nd lines 10 years ago. And even those guys never scored just 7 goals! Ribeiro, Koivu, Lang, hell even Yanic Perreault all did more for this team. Lucky for Gomez that we've been decent since getting him and for that reason this city hasn't been nearly as hard on him as they were on ol Breezy and you're worried about the Habs rep around the league with free agents? Come on.
His play last year in the playoffs, along with Cammalleri and Halak, got us to the Eastern Conf. Finals. I agree he didn't play his best in this year's playoffs but this guy is a born winner, no doubt.

And, it's not by pairing him with AHL-caliber scrubs like Moen and Darche that he'll produce. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a magician.

Plekanec has the luxury of playing with stellar wingmen and has great chemistry with them as well. Gomez was rocking with Pouliot/Pacioretty for a while. I can't wait to see that combo again next year.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:24 AM
macavoy

vCash: 243
FACT 1

Teams struggling to reach the cap floor won't be trading for him this summer. His actually salary next year is HIGHER than his actually cap hit. Poor teams can't afford to pay him $7.5m for 37 points.

FACT 2

Burying him in the AHL won't give us $7.3m in cap space to spend elsewhere.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:31 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
FACT 1

Teams struggling to reach the cap floor won't be trading for him this summer. His actually salary next year is HIGHER than his actually cap hit. Poor teams can't afford to pay him $7.5m for 37 points.

FACT 2

What ? Yes, it will and it's a fact.

I trully hope this was the last game of Scott Gomez in a habs uniform.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:32 AM
windycity

I don't care whether putting him in the AHL will save cap space - I just want him gone

Hey ho Gomez must go!

Old
04-28-2011, 08:37 AM
HCH

Quote:
FACT 1

FACT 2

But over the next three years his cap hit is higher than his salary so the expense to a cap floor team isn't as bad over the longer term. And moving him to the AHL actually will free up cap space. It's not a +35 contract like Spaceck

Old
04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Just stop. You are completely clueless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
What ? Yes, it will and it's a fact.
I'm glad you guys are not the GM. Read the CBA, sending Gomez to the AHL will not give us $7.3m in cap space.

You have to be within 10% of the cap when the season starts before Gomez is waived. His salary is greater than 10% so you couldn't spend to the cap with him on the roster.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
I'm glad you guys are not the GM. Read the CBA, sending Gomez to the AHL will not give us $7.3m in cap space.

You have to be within 10% of the cap when the season starts before Gomez is waived. His salary is greater than 10% so you couldn't spend to the cap with him on the roster.
Interesting. How did Edmonton, Chicago and New York bury the Souray, Huet and Redden Contracts then?

Old
04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sined View Post
Interesting. How did Edmonton, Chicago and New York bury the Souray, Huet and Redden Contracts then?
All of those cap hits were less than 10% of the salary cap. Gomez's salary is more than 10%.

If they bury him, we'll have some extra room but not $7.3m.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:47 AM
MM425

Cya in Hamilton next year Scotty! Or Europe if you want something nicer.

I'm confident that his play was abysmal enough to make management act in the off season. In a cap world you just can't justify his play to what he is paid.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:48 AM
glenn77

I want him gone.

Thanks Gainey - I guess Gomez is your legacy on our team. I wonder what pics Glen Sather has of Gainey that would have forced him to make the Gomez trade.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:

Who says we need to spend to the cap before the season starts ?

In every cases, GMs keep a little cap room to add other players... maybe a 1,3mil space room ?

... than, for the season, it's a total 7,3mil cap space... stop trying to find phony excuses, it's sadder than watching Gomez play.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:50 AM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
All of those cap hits were less than 10% of the salary cap. Gomez's salary is more than 10%.

How much would that room be? 10% = 5.9m?
The Redden contract is north of 6m/season. If I recall, the cap isn't at 60m yet.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:51 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
... than, for the season, it's a total 7,3mil cap space... stop trying to find phony excuses, it's sadder than watching Gomez play.
Why do I need to find excuses? Its not like I'm a Gomez fan, I'm just trying to help educate all you Montreal Canadian bashers so that you can at least have a little more knowledge in your pipe dream GM schemes and be more realistic in them.

Old
04-28-2011, 08:55 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Why do I need to find excuses? Its not like I'm a Gomez fan, I'm just trying to help educate all you Montreal Canadian bashers so that you can at least have a little more knowledge in your pipe dream GM schemes and be more realistic in them.
Say what... you can call me a Gomez basher... that I can admit... but it's precisely because I'm a habs supporter that I want him gone...

But, yeah keep inventing stuff up, it's always good for the ego.

... so you well educated knowledgeable super habs fan... could the habs spend up to 66mil before sending Gomez to the AHL and still be able at the end of next season to spend the entire 7,3mil cap space of Gomez ?

Old
04-28-2011, 09:00 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
How much is he paying you?
hehe...I actually like to see Gomez play. He's not putting up any numbers, but I like to see him carry the puck (even if it doesn't produce anything) and I think he's good defensively.

He'd probably have better numbers if he had a better linemate than Moen or other pluggers.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Reign40

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn77 View Post
I want him gone.

Thanks Gainey - I guess Gomez is your legacy on our team. I wonder what pics Glen Sather has of Gainey that would have forced him to make the Gomez trade.
You can't just blame Gainey for this one.

Pierre Gauthier was Assistant GM and Head of Pro Scouting, Gainey checked everything with Gauthier.
Especially since Gainey knew he would be leaving and all knew that Boivin would replace him with his good buddy Gauthier (even if Boivin claimed to have turned over every rock before finding his man within the organization )

Old
04-28-2011, 09:04 AM
MM425

Quote:
It has to be VERY realistic at this point.

There is precedence in the league now with Redden, Huet, and Souray. His cap number will do nothing but handcuff the Habs in the off-season from making potential improvements from taking this team to the next level.

If he can't be traded (very likely) than it has to be Hamilton or Europe for him until his salary drops.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:20 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
His play last year in the playoffs, along with Cammalleri and Halak, got us to the Eastern Conf. Finals. I agree he didn't play his best in this year's playoffs but this guy is a born winner, no doubt.

And, it's not by pairing him with AHL-caliber scrubs like Moen and Darche that he'll produce. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a magician.

Plekanec has the luxury of playing with stellar wingmen and has great chemistry with them as well. Gomez was rocking with Pouliot/Pacioretty for a while. I can't wait to see that combo again next year.
His play in the playoffs was very overrated last year. He was a heck of a lot better than he has been this year but nothing amazing. I remember the dumb penalties against the flyers that sunk us. I remember his goal in the last game that came in a losing effort and was just too little too late.

His play in the playoffs last year does not warrant being put in the same sentence as Halak and Cammy.

Last year's playoffs in terms of forwards was

Cammy
Gionta
Gomez/Plekanec

Plekanec got crapped on because he got all the toughest defensive assignments. Funny thing is that all Gomez had to do was produce since he wasn't really facing the biggest threats offensively. He could barely produce more than Plekanec, and also took half the year off that season, but it is remembered that Plekanec disappeared and Gomez was amazing. Which goes to show how reliable people's opinions are about anything.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Reign40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM425 View Post
If he can't be traded (very likely) than it has to be Hamilton or Europe for him until his salary drops.
His salary is not the issue, Montréal/Molson has plenty of money.

The problem with Gomez is the 7.3M$ hit to the cap. Even when his salary drops the cap hit will remain the same Montréal is stuck with it for the next 3 years.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:24 AM
E = CH²

Quote:

Weren't the devils vastly (ie more than 10%) over the cap at some point after signing Kovalchuk ?

When did they get the draft/cash penalty ? Was it before playing their first game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
hehe...I actually like to see Gomez play. He's not putting up any numbers, but I like to see him carry the puck (even if it doesn't produce anything) and I think he's good defensively.
That's your prerogative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrePrisme View Post
He'd probably have better numbers if he had a better linemate than Moen or other pluggers.
Sure Gomez would leech more pts off of Pacioretty+Gionta than he would from Moen+Gionta, what does that prove ?

Quote:
FACT 1

Quote:
Gomez is going to make 150K$ more than his cap hit. GMs/owners spending to the floor will think of the overall benefit of adding Gomez over 3 years, not just the 150K$ more he'll cost next year. It's such a small number in the grand scheme of things, it won't matter at all. That's not why Gomez will be hard to trade no matter what. It's nice to act like you're superior to others because you're more informed.. but you also gotta use your judgment.

Last edited by E = CH²: 04-28-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Closed Thread