HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 09:45 AM
HCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I'm glad you guys are not the GM. Read the CBA, sending Gomez to the AHL will not give us $7.3m in cap space.

You have to be within 10% of the cap when the season starts before Gomez is waived. His salary is greater than 10% so you couldn't spend to the cap with him on the roster.
Interesting but I am not sure how to interpret it.

When you say a team has to be within 10% of the cap... does that mean they have to be within 10% of the cap floor? Why does one contract have any impact on that? Could the team not replace the Gomez contract with two $3.5 million contracts, for example.

I have a copy of the CBA but I am not sure of the section where I could find that.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:55 AM
Mr. Hab

#1) imo, Gomez has got to go back to using #91!!

Next year:
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Old
04-28-2011, 09:56 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
His play last year in the playoffs, along with Cammalleri and Halak, got us to the Eastern Conf. Finals. I agree he didn't play his best in this year's playoffs but this guy is a born winner, no doubt.

And, it's not by pairing him with AHL-caliber scrubs like Moen and Darche that he'll produce. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a magician.

Plekanec has the luxury of playing with stellar wingmen and has great chemistry with them as well. Gomez was rocking with Pouliot/Pacioretty for a while. I can't wait to see that combo again next year.
Haha, more like halak, cammalleri and friends got us to the ECF. That scrub Darche outplayed gomez in every facet and pleks plays with better wingers because he isnt a total waste of skin. Your post couldnt be any more ridiculous if you claimed gomez invented the exclaimation mark.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Pascal

I really wish the NHL would go the NFL way and able to kick players off their roster if they don't perform. It'll never happen though.. the NHLPA would give up a 3 yr fight before they let it happen.

But really, if an employee doesn't perform as expected why can't their boss say "see you"? Why are athletes so different than everyone else?

Old
04-28-2011, 12:13 PM
number71*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
I really wish the NHL would go the NFL way and able to kick players off their roster if they don't perform. It'll never happen though.. the NHLPA would give up a 3 yr fight before they let it happen.

But really, if an employee doesn't perform as expected why can't their boss say "see you"? Why are athletes so different than everyone else?
In the NFL they can. The reason why we can't in NHL is unions.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:18 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign40 View Post
His salary is not the issue, Montréal/Molson has plenty of money.

The problem with Gomez is the 7.3M$ hit to the cap. Even when his salary drops the cap hit will remain the same Montréal is stuck with it for the next 3 years.
When the salary drops, a cap floor team will be more likely to bite on him. Although I'm not convinced one won't bite on him this summer.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

I wonder if Gauthier is a wizard and can do some magic this off-season.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign40 View Post
His salary is not the issue, Montréal/Molson has plenty of money.

The problem with Gomez is the 7.3M$ hit to the cap. Even when his salary drops the cap hit will remain the same Montréal is stuck with it for the next 3 years.
His yearly salary drops a bit in the later years, making him more attractive to lower spending teams around the cap floor. That's what I meant.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:32 PM
Habsfan18
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Next year:
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
Changing his number isn't going to magically stop him from sucking.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Reign40

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm not convinced one won't bite on him this summer.
Montréal fans always make me laugh at the way they think all the other NHL managers are just lined up and waiting to take our garbage....and we think they will give us top line players or 1st round picks for it.

NO ONE is goint to want;
- a 30+ yo centerman
- who scores around 10 goals/year
- was a -15 this season
- wins less that 50% of his faceoffs
- has a salary of 7.5M$ for 2011-12 (and 5.5M$ 2012-13)
- is a cap hit of 7.3M$ for the next 3 years

Yes he has wheels but so does my aunts wheelchair!

And if there was a GM lame enough to consider it he would want at least a 1st round pick to take this crap of our hands.

Face it; Gomez is playing for the Habs again next year.

Old
04-28-2011, 12:44 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Gomez and our 1st for Weiss

Gomez,Mcdonagh,Valatenko and our 1st 2011 for Weiss

Old
04-28-2011, 12:47 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
When the salary drops, a cap floor team will be more likely to bite on him. Although I'm not convinced one won't bite on him this summer.
Seriously we gotta promote him as some sort of once in a lifetime opportunity to save cash and hope someone is scared to miss the boat and gets him this summer.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:21 PM
Lucius

Honestly, after that season, I cannot see how on Earth he doesn't end up in the AHL next year.

Forget the cap issues he creates. He played like an AHLer. And his style is at odds with the one Martin preaches. He refuses to do fast break outs (always winds up) thus his line never has momentum, quick strike attacks through the neutral zone that all the others do. And among our centers, he's the worst in his own end. It's clearly not working. I cannot see a team taking him next season when his cap hit and salary are similar.

The question is simply: Will Montreal eat the contract or not? To me, they have no choice, and can afford it.

If he has a halfway decent AHL (or sadly NHL) year, the team might be able to pawn him off on a floor team the summer after. Tis the only way out I see.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
I agree. Not because it will change his gameplay, but because his current number reminds me we got rid of a cheaper and arguably better Koivu.

I'm hoping Gomez will rebound at one point or another. His career stats are not a constant decline but more ups and downs.

Overoptimistc perhaps, but since we're stuck with him, might as well be positive about it.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:46 PM
haburger

gomer aint goin nowhere.get over it.

Old
04-28-2011, 01:48 PM
HabsNation514

Pyatt > Gomez

Old
04-28-2011, 01:55 PM
SB164

From Eric Engels' Twitter:

No punches pulled, scott gomez says it was by far the worst season of his career

Gomez most upset about having to look teammates in the eyes, knowing he wasn't pulling his weight

Gomez says it can't and won't happen next season, but can't pinpoint why it did this year

Gomez admitted conditioning isn't the main issue, but also said you can't take the summer off and show up ready to go

http://twitter.com/#!/EricEngels

Old
04-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Anyone who thinks Gomez is even marginally trade-able is delusional. Even when the salary drops, the Cap space never does. Theres nobody that stupid out there, so forget about it!

Only options ever will be to pay him full to play in Hamilton, Europe, Alaska, etc.....

Old
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Chris Pronger
Valar morghulis

vCash: 92
why did Gomez just realised how horrible he was playing?

man he had the chance to step up and play better in the playoffs, and didnt do it.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:25 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
Anyone who thinks Gomez is even marginally trade-able is delusional. Even when the salary drops, the Cap space never does. Theres nobody that stupid out there, so forget about it!

Only options ever will be to pay him full to play in Hamilton, Europe, Alaska, etc.....
I could see him being sent to Florida, who has huge salary cap space, few NHL calibre players and no delusions of being competetive for the next couple years so long as some picks go with him. Tallon's MO is to sink to the bottom and accumulate as many draft choices as possible. That was how he built Chicago through the draft without being particularly good at drafting, throw enough darts and you eventually hit the board.

Habs are probably better off keeping him though. The UFA market for centers is terrible (after Richards there is Connolly and Prospal, neither of which is a significant upgrade) and the odds are good that Gomez will rebound to the 50+ point range next year and neither Eller nor Desharnais are quite ready to take up the burden of playing 2nd line. Hopefully with decent numbers and declining real salary, he'll be moveable next summer to make room for Eller.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:37 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan182018 View Post
why did Gomez just realised how horrible he was playing?

man he had the chance to step up and play better in the playoffs, and didnt do it.
He knew all along, he came out a few weeks ago with comments about it. Its not the first time he brought it up and he did step up his play a little compared to before however still not up to a level that would make habs fans happy though.

Old
04-28-2011, 02:43 PM
compile

vCash: 611
If Gomez is still part of the roster come October, I'm taking a year off of watching the Habs.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:26 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
From Eric Engels' Twitter:

No punches pulled, scott gomez says it was by far the worst season of his career

Gomez most upset about having to look teammates in the eyes, knowing he wasn't pulling his weight

Gomez says it can't and won't happen next season, but can't pinpoint why it did this year

Gomez admitted conditioning isn't the main issue, but also said you can't take the summer off and show up ready to go

http://twitter.com/#!/EricEngels
Talk is cheap, mother****er. You dragged this team down and ruined a hard-fought season - time to Wade Redden this contract and pick up another center.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:28 PM
Tendresse
Capitaine Gorges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaHabs View Post
If Gomez is still part of the roster come October, I'm taking a year off of watching the Habs.
No, you're not.

Old
04-28-2011, 03:31 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Talk is cheap, mother****er. You dragged this team down and ruined a hard-fought season - time to Wade Redden this contract and pick up another center.
The fact he has no clue why he sucked is the most concerning. How can he say it won't happen next year when he doesn't even know what he did wrong.

Closed Thread