HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
Do you guys think that Montreal would add something valuable to Gomez if another team would take him off their hands?

Old
04-28-2011, 03:37 PM
Habitants

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Do you guys think that Montreal would add something valuable to Gomez if another team would take him off their hands?
yes....pouliot

Old
04-28-2011, 03:50 PM

You know, it's really not difficult to see how this is going to play out...

Gomez will STILL be a Hab next year because he's basically untreadeable unless the Habs add-in another asset, which wouldn't make sense for them, but with how putrid he was this year, I think he's going to have a much better year next year...never good enough to justify his salary, but I think he'll bounce back next year.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
His play last year in the playoffs, along with Cammalleri and Halak, got us to the Eastern Conf. Finals. I agree he didn't play his best in this year's playoffs but this guy is a born winner, no doubt.

And, it's not by pairing him with AHL-caliber scrubs like Moen and Darche that he'll produce. He's a good playmaker, but he's not a magician.

Plekanec has the luxury of playing with stellar wingmen and has great chemistry with them as well. Gomez was rocking with Pouliot/Pacioretty for a while. I can't wait to see that combo again next year.
Nonsense, we lived and died with Jaroslav Halak throughout that run. This does not discredit Cammalleri, Gionta, Gorges and Gill, who all performed admirably, if not amazing but at the end of the day if Halak was not playing out of this world goaltending. We were being ousted by Washington. You could have slotted anyone from Saku Koivu to Chris Drury into Gomez's spot and reasonably competed with how amazing Halak was playing. If you swapped him with any other tender excluding Miller and maybe Rask, we were gone.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Rahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
You know, it's really not difficult to see how this is going to play out...

Gomez will STILL be a Hab next year because he's basically untreadeable unless the Habs add-in another asset, which wouldn't make sense for them, but with how putrid he was this year, I think he's going to have a much better year next year...never good enough to justify his salary, but I think he'll bounce back next year.
A lot... and I mean A LOT of people said the same thing last year after an "ok" season...

He will fail again and prove you wrong, I'm sure of that. Unless he leeches off Patches or some big time scorer who will do it all.... but I can't see it happening either.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
A lot... and I mean A LOT of people said the same thing last year after an "ok" season...

He will fail again and prove you wrong, I'm sure of that. Unless he leeches off Patches or some big time scorer who will do it all.... but I can't see it happening either.
The difference is the fact that the guy just got his worse season in the NHL ever and I don't see him being worse than this. The chances that he produce better next year are way bigger than the chances that he play worse.(and this is not the case of a guy declining because of age or injuries)

Old
04-28-2011, 05:56 PM
Skarjak

Man, how can you see how pitiful he looks and still **** on him?

Maybe I have too much empathy to be a Habs fan, but I feel sorry for him. He obviously is a winner, since he's got two cups, and everything we see leads us to believe he's a great guy in the room. Plus, he actually cares. How many players have we had since our last cup, who just didn't care at all? This man wasn't happy to lose. Don't we need more players like that?

Some people have off-seasons. There's no one out there that can replace Gomez, and it might be preferable to slowly give Eller more responsibilities rather than make him our second line center on his second year. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to giving Gomez another chance.

Old
04-28-2011, 05:57 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
The difference is the fact that the guy just got his worse season in the NHL ever and I don't see him being worse than this. The chances that he produce better next year are way bigger than the chances that he play worse.(and this is not the case of a guy declining because of age or injuries)
Even if he does produce his regular 55-60 points next season he still doesn't offer enough. He's too damn soft and lacks any finishing ability. He should be removed from this roster any possible way.

Even when he scored his 55 points we wall knew he was extremely overpaid for what he brings to the table. As far as top 6 centers go, I don't think I have ever seen one with this complete lack of goal scoring ability. He is useless.

Old
04-28-2011, 06:03 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The problem is that he sucked all year and then we will have to live with him.....not being good at the start of next season. 'Cause that's what Gomez is all about right? He always sucks at the start of the season....will people be ready for that? He better pray he starts the year as a 4th liner and that Desharnais or Eller is ready to take the #2 centerman 'cause if not....boo-birds will strike hard. Gomez next year will have the same pressure than Price did this year....

Old
04-28-2011, 08:48 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Can someone post the Devils line up when Gomez won the 2 cups. Them explain to me that he's a warrior without the guys he played with...

Old
04-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Talk is cheap, mother****er. You dragged this team down and ruined a hard-fought season - time to Wade Redden this contract and pick up another center.
We're all Hab fans here and we don't always share the same opinion, but I'll respect the Gomez haters...to a certain point.

I'm willing to give Gomez another season+playoffs and also even one more half a season before really losing patience!! (some patient fans should get rewarded sooner than later! I hope...gulp!).

Heck...Gionta (best buddy on team?) might even tell Gomez in a year and a half (if Gomez doesn't pick it up) that he may be sent to Hamilton for a brief stint for a wake-up call...

I'm also upset that Gomez was a -3 the last 2 games...not happy about that . But I'm willing to be patient for at least one more season+playoffs (and a bit). We need him to be hungry again...just one more time especially for playoffs. I'm assuming he'll have a long summer but he better be ready by September with lots of training and soul/heart searching .

This trio could rejuvenate Gomez's career and everyone might be happier,imo:
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Markov:
Call me strange, but...I'm actually more concerned about Andrei Markov's injury prone body (entire body) and Habs being stuck year after year trying to replace him by giving up 2nd Round Picks... I really hope our GM doesn't give him more than a year or two (at cheap).

Old
04-28-2011, 09:25 PM
habfaninvictoria

Full mark to him for acknowledging what we all know. At least he doesn't just sweep it under the rug.

Talk is cheap though.

Can he be a major force, I gotta believe yes, in spite of all evidence. What I'd like to see from him.

Evidence that after a few weeks off to rehab any nagging injuries that he is working out like a man possessed. Not just on your conditioning. Get stronger, get faster. Show us you want it, it'll go a long way to earning our trust. Veterans that lead by that kind of example are hard to come by, if you truly mean it... do it.

Play with the fearless abandon that earned you the Calder. He used to drive the net hard and shoot, now he stays mostly on the perimeter and is easy to read.

If you just do those 2 things

Old
04-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Mr. Hab

Here:

if Gomez has another slow start (first 15 games) in the season of 2011-2012, then...move him to 3rd line and promote Eller. This could be a bit of a wake-up call...or at lesat give it a try.

Pacioretty - Eller- Gionta
Pyatt/Moen - Gomez - Darche

And...how about:
David Desharnais as winger? (too small as center? not sure...).

Old
04-28-2011, 09:45 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Gomez trains hard in the off-season, that's not the problem here. Certain aspects of his game need to change... he can't continue being the anti-trap, neutral zone king... He needs to go in the areas that make him uncomfortable. Instead of braking, try to slip and slide through the two defenders and get a shot off. Instead of looking for a pass when you enter the zone, get it deep and recover the puck. Change what you're doing G-Love, because what you're doing isn't working for you anymore...

Old
04-28-2011, 09:46 PM
Stradale

So is he just not good anymore and didn't give his all?

Old
04-28-2011, 09:47 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Usually your 3rd line center is a defensive minded centerman. A shutdown man if you would.

Gomez is not a shutdown centerman. He's supposed to be the opposite.

Old
04-28-2011, 09:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
We're all Hab fans here and we don't always share the same opinion, but I'll respect the Gomez haters...to a certain point.

I'm willing to give Gomez another season+playoffs and also even one more half a season before really losing patience!! (some patient fans should get rewarded sooner than later! I hope...gulp!).
If you are willing to give Gomez let alone any other player 2 and half years of suckage before losing patience with them, you are a better fan then anyone. There is no GM who would even have this patience.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Rahan

Pretty simple really. Show him tapes of his play all summer.

The worst aspect of his game is when he is in his own zone. Every time a d-man pushes the puck towards Gomez near the boards, he coughs it up instead of clearing it out or doing anything... Loses it clean, and it's either in the net or Price makes an amazing save.

Just fix this and I will like him a lot more.

Old
04-28-2011, 10:05 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Imho Gomez can't really be worse than he was this year. I hope that he dramatically changes his game...

Its wierd. During Kovalev's terrible season I knew he'd bounce back (and he did by having one of the best seasons in recent hab history).

I don't feel that at all with Gomez...

Old
04-28-2011, 10:13 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarjak View Post
There's no one out there that can replace Gomez
Actually there are a LOT of players that can bring as much to the team as Gomez brought this year... including a couple of guys already on the roster.

The difficulty is in finding a player to perform at the level we EXPECTED of Gomez and not what we actually got from Gomez. In one way you are right. It is difficult to find players who can produce 65 to 70 points but that is not what Gomez brought to the team and it is doubtful he will bring that next year either.

So the decision becomes who you want that is producing about 20-25 points a year at even strength. A young, developing player or a $7 million veteran

Old
04-28-2011, 10:18 PM
HCH

I am sure Bob Gainey is deeply disappointed in what Gomez contributed this year.

Old
04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
not quite yoda

Here is the bottom line IMO.

The ownership group (not just Geoff Molson, the whole group) will never give the go ahead to bury him in the AHL, even if Gauthier suggests it. If you bury him, it opens up 7.3 million a year to spend under the cap. From an owner' s perspective, it means the team will spend up to he cap + spend 7.3M$ on Gomez's salary. Molson and company just spent over 600M$ on the team. They need to make profit, they want to make profit, paying Gomez (as extra) will reduce profit substancialy.

Buying him out and freeing up 4.8M$ in cap space? that I can see happening. Gauthier may want to do it but I think Martin will advise against it. If Martin was in favor of dumping Gomez he would have given his icetime to Desharnais (or who ever). The fact that he kept giving 18 minutes to Gomez proves he loves his veterans -so he loves Gomez.

All this to say... I would bet on Gomez being back in the fall. A buy out is possible.

Old
04-29-2011, 12:51 AM
Bloumeister
Live And Let Dye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post
Pretty simple really. Show him tapes of his play all summer.
That's a cruel way to spend your vacation... but I'm all for it. Maybe after watching a few games, he'll want to retire?

Old
04-29-2011, 01:07 AM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
Here is the bottom line IMO.

The ownership group (not just Geoff Molson, the whole group) will never give the go ahead to bury him in the AHL, even if Gauthier suggests it. If you bury him, it opens up 7.3 million a year to spend under the cap. From an owner' s perspective, it means the team will spend up to he cap + spend 7.3M$ on Gomez's salary. Molson and company just spent over 600M$ on the team. They need to make profit, they want to make profit, paying Gomez (as extra) will reduce profit substancialy.

Buying him out and freeing up 4.8M$ in cap space? that I can see happening. Gauthier may want to do it but I think Martin will advise against it. If Martin was in favor of dumping Gomez he would have given his icetime to Desharnais (or who ever). The fact that he kept giving 18 minutes to Gomez proves he loves his veterans -so he loves Gomez.

All this to say... I would bet on Gomez being back in the fall. A buy out is possible.
A lot of good points.

But one little nitpick is that Martin playing Gomez 18 min does not necessarily mean that he likes Gomez and appreciate what Gomez brings to the table.

A possible scenario is that he knew he was stuck with him this season and nothing could be done. Knowing that, he figured might as well do everything possible to make him produce. That also was PG's message during the PC this afternoon.

Also, we don't know but maybe PG was behind the Gomez deal. The people in the organization know that. I don't think Martin would want to make his GM look bad by playing Gomez on a 4th line, or asking PG to bury him. If PG was indeed behind it. Maybe he isn't, just throwing that out there.

There are many possibilities other than Martin actually liking what Gomez brings to the table.

Old
04-29-2011, 01:16 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
A lot of good points.

But one little nitpick is that Martin playing Gomez 18 min does not necessarily mean that he likes Gomez and appreciate what Gomez brings to the table.

A possible scenario is that he knew he was stuck with him this season and nothing could be done. Knowing that, he figured might as well do everything possible to make him produce. That also was PG's message during the PC this afternoon.

Also, we don't know but maybe PG was behind the Gomez deal. The people in the organization know that. I don't think Martin would want to make his GM look bad by playing Gomez on a 4th line, or asking PG to bury him. If PG was indeed behind it. Maybe he isn't, just throwing that out there.

There are many possibilities other than Martin actually liking what Gomez brings to the table.
Agreed. But I think the best way for Martin to make himself and make Gauthier look good would be to succeed in the playoffs and move on to round 2.

If they realized Gomez sucked but insisted on playing him to save face on the trade... well you are hurting your entire team in doing that.

That would be shooting yourself in your own foot. It's as if we diminished our chances to win (and lost the series) on purpouse.

They can't be that stupid can they?

Closed Thread