HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-24-2011, 04:34 AM
  #526
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
There is no way Molson eats $7m+. Look what he's done with,Habsinsideout,Basha,and the PK image situation. This guy is beyond greedy. We need a Steinbrenner type owner,who will do whatever it takes to win.
tougher to buy yourself a championship with a salary cap...

ECWHSWI is online now  
Old
05-24-2011, 04:43 AM
  #527
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
What about the Habsinsideout ?
And how is that related to greed in any way? I'm saying that I agree with them being anal with the trademarking of ''habs'' but I seriously doubt they made any significant money with this. In fact, they probably lose a lot more than they gain with their probably extensive lawyer staff. This is a brand and image protection thing, not ''sue people to get money'' policy. I suppose they do not want hundreds of commerces and websites using their trademark, as it could eventually lend them a bad name (even if Habsinsideout did not, its nice to set a precedent I guess).

Also I doubt it was Geoff Molson himself who decided that Habsinsideout would change name. In fact he might not even have been consulted, I'm sure he has tons of people employed for that sort of thing. Its a major thing for us internet savyy habs fans but in reality its a very minor thing.

The Molsons are very, very rich and even Basha's 80 000$ fine (that would go to the NHL and not Molson pockets anyways) would be next to nothing for them.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
05-24-2011, 07:48 AM
  #528
MTL-rules
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,247
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
IMO, Gomez will have a 50-60 point campaign next season, Gionta will score 30+ and have 25+ assists and Pacioretty will score 30 to go along with 30 helpers. If Gomez can play with patches and Gio for the whole season and continue developing the chemistry they had together before patches injury, then this line will be very dangerous for the Habs all year long. If Pleky and Cammy can find a big winger like Gomez's line did with Max, then i think our 1st 2 lines will be very successful and we will have a lot of scoring depth.
7,3mil for that type of production is unacceptable... one more reason to trade/get rid of him...

MTL-rules is offline  
Old
05-24-2011, 09:45 AM
  #529
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
And how is that related to greed in any way? I'm saying that I agree with them being anal with the trademarking of ''habs'' but I seriously doubt they made any significant money with this. In fact, they probably lose a lot more than they gain with their probably extensive lawyer staff. This is a brand and image protection thing, not ''sue people to get money'' policy. I suppose they do not want hundreds of commerces and websites using their trademark, as it could eventually lend them a bad name (even if Habsinsideout did not, its nice to set a precedent I guess).

Also I doubt it was Geoff Molson himself who decided that Habsinsideout would change name. In fact he might not even have been consulted, I'm sure he has tons of people employed for that sort of thing. Its a major thing for us internet savyy habs fans but in reality its a very minor thing.

The Molsons are very, very rich and even Basha's 80 000$ fine (that would go to the NHL and not Molson pockets anyways) would be next to nothing for them.
Bottom line: they aren't eating Gomez contract,Spaceks contract or JM's.that was my point. Why you feel the need to act as Molson's PR guy is beyond me.Especially as we sit here watching hockey w/o the Habs again

jlgib21* is offline  
Old
05-24-2011, 12:14 PM
  #530
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
IMO, Gomez will have a 50-60 point campaign next season, Gionta will score 30+ and have 25+ assists and Pacioretty will score 30 to go along with 30 helpers. If Gomez can play with patches and Gio for the whole season and continue developing the chemistry they had together before patches injury, then this line will be very dangerous for the Habs all year long. If Pleky and Cammy can find a big winger like Gomez's line did with Max, then i think our 1st 2 lines will be very successful and we will have a lot of scoring depth.
It would be nice if that happened but Gionta has only one year where he has scored 30 goals or more. He will turn 33 years old next season so 30 goals might be a stretch. I would be happy with 25 and anything more than that is a bonus.

Gomez has averaged about 64 points per season over his career and 57 points per year over the past five years. He will be 32 years old next season and clearly on the decline. He could score 55 points but is that acceptable for the role he is expected to fill.

Pacioretty may have the ability to score 30 but I don't know if he could do it playing with Gionta and Gomez. Gionta almost never passes the puck and Gomez has been ineffective as a setup man. I would be happy with 25 from Pacioretty.

I think both Pacioretty and Gionta would put up bigger numbers with Desharnais as the center than they would with Gomez as their center.

Gomez has been a great neutral zone player. He carries the puck from blueline to blueline very well and really has no defensive or offensive responsibilities. Desharnais, on the other hand, is less effective in the neutral zone but better in the offensive zone.

HCH is offline  
Old
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
  #531
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 21,531
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
It would be nice if that happened but Gionta has only one year where he has scored 30 goals or more. He will turn 33 years old next season so 30 goals might be a stretch. I would be happy with 25 and anything more than that is a bonus.

Gomez has averaged about 64 points per season over his career and 57 points per year over the past five years. He will be 32 years old next season and clearly on the decline. He could score 55 points but is that acceptable for the role he is expected to fill.

Pacioretty may have the ability to score 30 but I don't know if he could do it playing with Gionta and Gomez. Gionta almost never passes the puck and Gomez has been ineffective as a setup man. I would be happy with 25 from Pacioretty.

I think both Pacioretty and Gionta would put up bigger numbers with Desharnais as the center than they would with Gomez as their center.

Gomez has been a great neutral zone player. He carries the puck from blueline to blueline very well and really has no defensive or offensive responsibilities. Desharnais, on the other hand, is less effective in the neutral zone but better in the offensive zone.
At this point I think a lot of people would be very happy with 60 points out of Gomez next year.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
05-27-2011, 04:13 PM
  #532
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
It would be nice if that happened but Gionta has only one year where he has scored 30 goals or more. He will turn 33 years old next season so 30 goals might be a stretch. I would be happy with 25 and anything more than that is a bonus.

Gomez has averaged about 64 points per season over his career and 57 points per year over the past five years. He will be 32 years old next season and clearly on the decline. He could score 55 points but is that acceptable for the role he is expected to fill.

Pacioretty may have the ability to score 30 but I don't know if he could do it playing with Gionta and Gomez. Gionta almost never passes the puck and Gomez has been ineffective as a setup man. I would be happy with 25 from Pacioretty.

I think both Pacioretty and Gionta would put up bigger numbers with Desharnais as the center than they would with Gomez as their center.

Gomez has been a great neutral zone player. He carries the puck from blueline to blueline very well and really has no defensive or offensive responsibilities. Desharnais, on the other hand, is less effective in the neutral zone but better in the offensive zone.
Gionta has been on pace for more than 30 in his first Montreal season (actually 37, a pace maintained during the playoffs) and hit 29 the next. If he plays 82 games expect him to to score 30 +/-3. Short of his fluke 48 goal seaons, Gionta has never been a better goalscorer than he has been for the Habs. He pays for this in low assist totals, likely a result of being the only real scorer on the typical Gionta-Gomez-bottom-sixer line.

Pacioretty was on pace for 29 in his break out season. His shot totals are huge and indicate that he shouldn't have a problem being as effective next year. If he play most of the season, he should easily hit 20 next year, 25 is reasonable, 30 is possible. Gomez has historically been a strong set up man, I think it likely that with two strong wingers the playmaking will return.

A full year of Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta as the 2nd line should do wonders for the Hab's offensive numbers. If reasonably healthy, I think 60 goals is reasonable (23-10-27), which is solid for a second unit.

Talks to Goalposts is online now  
Old
05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
  #533
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Gomez has been a great neutral zone player. He carries the puck from blueline to blueline very well and really has no defensive or offensive responsibilities. Desharnais, on the other hand, is less effective in the neutral zone but better in the offensive zone.
Gomez would be a great rover if that position still existed!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:10 AM
  #534
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Gionta has been on pace for more than 30 in his first Montreal season (actually 37, a pace maintained during the playoffs) and hit 29 the next. If he plays 82 games expect him to to score 30 +/-3. Short of his fluke 48 goal seaons, Gionta has never been a better goalscorer than he has been for the Habs. He pays for this in low assist totals, likely a result of being the only real scorer on the typical Gionta-Gomez-bottom-sixer line.

Pacioretty was on pace for 29 in his break out season. His shot totals are huge and indicate that he shouldn't have a problem being as effective next year. If he play most of the season, he should easily hit 20 next year, 25 is reasonable, 30 is possible. Gomez has historically been a strong set up man, I think it likely that with two strong wingers the playmaking will return.

A full year of Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta as the 2nd line should do wonders for the Hab's offensive numbers. If reasonably healthy, I think 60 goals is reasonable (23-10-27), which is solid for a second unit.
I agree that those point totals are achievable and not bad for a second line unit. It is an average of 20 goals per players. What is funny, though, is that is the exact pace at which Kostitsyn scored last year with a lot of 3rd line ice time... yet it isn't deemed good enough by many.

Why are some players held to high standards and while others are unaccountable when their play is less than adequate? Just wondering

HCH is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:19 AM
  #535
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
I agree that those point totals are achievable and not bad for a second line unit. It is an average of 20 goals per players. What is funny, though, is that is the exact pace at which Kostitsyn scored last year with a lot of 3rd line ice time... yet it isn't deemed good enough by many.

Why are some players held to high standards and while others are unaccountable when their play is less than adequate? Just wondering
Because some achieve their production by putting in a consistent effort (Gionta) all year long while others (AK) don't.

I think AK is valuable depth to us and I want him to stay has a 3rd liner with top 2 lines duties when there are injuries, but is lack of consistency is anoying as a regular top 2 line winger

Subban76 is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:43 AM
  #536
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
wrong thread.


Last edited by DAChampion: 05-28-2011 at 10:50 AM.
DAChampion is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:50 AM
  #537
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
I don't think it's valid to say that the habs would be a better team without the injuries, as that's the excuse people use nearly every single year. For whatever reason, injuries are a fact of nature on the Habs, we can't be a good team without injuries, we need to be a good team with the injuries.
There's injuries, and there's having many of your key guys out for a season or many months.

Of course its realistic. Think Canucks would be there without Ehrhoff and one Kesler. Or Boston without Bergeron or Chara.

Season injuries are one thing, we have the depth to handle that, but key injuries to any team in the playoffs will get you no where, not just the Habs.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 11:34 AM
  #538
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
There's injuries, and there's having many of your key guys out for a season or many months.

Of course its realistic. Think Canucks would be there without Ehrhoff and one Kesler. Or Boston without Bergeron or Chara.

Season injuries are one thing, we have the depth to handle that, but key injuries to any team in the playoffs will get you no where, not just the Habs.
or Boston without their best forward... oh wait, they made the cup finals without him

Miller Time is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 04:47 PM
  #539
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Because some achieve their production by putting in a consistent effort (Gionta) all year long while others (AK) don't.

I think AK is valuable depth to us and I want him to stay has a 3rd liner with top 2 lines duties when there are injuries, but is lack of consistency is anoying as a regular top 2 line winger
Ummm.... I was talking about Gomez (not Gionta) and Gomez was the poster boy for inconsistency and lack of effort.

HCH is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 04:58 PM
  #540
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,201
vCash: 500
lack of effort? how would you know what "effort" is in the nhl?so many experts.

haburger is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 05:33 PM
  #541
Habsfan18
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,320
vCash: 500
Isn't it sad that we're actually HOPING for a 50-60 point season from our 7 million dollar forward?

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:22 PM
  #542
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,579
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Isn't it sad that we're actually HOPING for a 50-60 point season from our 7 million dollar forward?
Gomez was never going to be a 80 point player in Montreal even before he signed here. He was never expected to be more than a 60ish point player. He averaged 64 points in his 2 years in NY, changing to a defensive team like Montreal, its practically guaranteed his numbers would go down.

What is sad is how supposed Montreal fans constantly bash his cap hit when it was well known before he ever stepped on the ice, that he was over paid and always would be as a Hab. That was always a given.

macavoy is offline  
Old
05-28-2011, 10:30 PM
  #543
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
or Boston without their best forward... oh wait, they made the cup finals without him
Fact is they knew for a while Savard's career was going downhill because of concussions. Boston made a LOT of moves to compensate, and traded a lot of assets this year for Peverley, Kaberle and Kelly.

Habs did not give nearly as much to replace Markov&Gorges, and couldn't replace Pacioretty as he was injured after the deadline (a 2nd for the Wiz and then spare parts for bottom line defensemen)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 02:00 AM
  #544
habtastic
Registered User
 
habtastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai via MTL
Country: India
Posts: 9,237
vCash: 500
Didn't Savard not count against their cap, therefore allowing them to acquire some key players?

As for AK. I still don't get the hate. He had a good season and when he wasn't scoring he was passing well and hitting. Was he really that far off point-wise than we would have liked? There was a pretty long period where he was being praised on...wait for it...L'Antichambre! The last place that would happen unless he was playing well. I think we just remember him as not playing well cuz of the spurts at the start, his rep and the mounting 03 draft complaining. He was even good in the playoffs. Instrumental in lots of the good that we did in that series. Put it this way...when AK goes down to injury, does it not take the wind out of your sails? I think he's fine with Cammy and Pleks. The legend is true - Andrei K(ah) IS the big winger we've been looking for. You've just been Jedi mind tricked. Healthy team = success in a big way.

I am most excited to see how this Emelin situation plays out. What if he's a stud at the NHL level? It's possible! #classlessness

habtastic is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 02:06 AM
  #545
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Isn't it sad that we're actually HOPING for a 50-60 point season from our 7 million dollar forward?
Gomez was never expected to live up to his salary in Montreal, it was use of capspace and money, two assets the Habs had in abundance to fill a team need for a two-way top 6 centerman that could play in a defensive system. Capspace is not always the limiting factor for a team, sometimes the limiting factor is getting real NHL players. In the case of finding top-six centermen, most of the time you can have all the capspace in the world and not get one because they so rarely change teams.

Talks to Goalposts is online now  
Old
05-29-2011, 02:35 AM
  #546
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 22,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Gomez was never going to be a 80 point player in Montreal even before he signed here. He was never expected to be more than a 60ish point player. He averaged 64 points in his 2 years in NY, changing to a defensive team like Montreal, its practically guaranteed his numbers would go down.

What is sad is how supposed Montreal fans constantly bash his cap hit when it was well known before he ever stepped on the ice, that he was over paid and always would be as a Hab. That was always a given.
That's all fine and dandy, but you don't see ANY reason for resenting an offensive player who sets a career low for points while being his team's highest paid player (by FAR)? I mean, all he had to do was hit 48 points and at least people couldn't complain that it was his worst season ever, but he didn't even get within 10 points of that mark, and followed it up with 0 goals and -6 in 7 playoff games...

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 08:38 AM
  #547
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
or Boston without their best forward... oh wait, they made the cup finals without him
Savard? He' been out since last year and was replaced in the team's depth and cap space at the start of the season. Not sure what you are talking about?

Boston had a complete healthy team. Savard was no longer part of the team.

MaxPac, Markov and Gorges where part of our team.

Subban76 is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 09:27 AM
  #548
BobbyFischer*
 
BobbyFischer*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,864
vCash: 500
do you guys remember how happy Gomez was after the 1st game when he assisted on Gio's goal?

look at him now....

lol

=(

BobbyFischer* is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 09:30 AM
  #549
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,655
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Savard? He' been out since last year and was replaced in the team's depth and cap space at the start of the season. Not sure what you are talking about?

Boston had a complete healthy team. Savard was no longer part of the team.

MaxPac, Markov and Gorges where part of our team.
Good grief. At least look at the stats before you start writing. It can help your credibility. Savard played 25 games with the Bruins this year and Markov played 7 games for the Habs.

HCH is offline  
Old
05-29-2011, 09:33 AM
  #550
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Ummm.... I was talking about Gomez (not Gionta) and Gomez was the poster boy for inconsistency and lack of effort.
Gomez' effort is not a problem,his ability is.if AK and BP gave half the effort gomez did,we may still be playing.

jlgib21* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.