HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2011, 12:36 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Just like Alpine, if people drink that piss, Gomez can shoot the puck!
Won the gold medal for clean refreshing taste at the World Beer Cup. It's one of my favorites, but I'm a local boy, I suppose.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Ketzlaf

Do people not realize that Gomez will make MORE money than his cap hit this year? It makes no sense whatsoever for a cap floor team to acquire Gomez this offseason.

Old
07-06-2011, 12:46 PM
AureleJoliat
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
How were we preventing him from shooting the puck?
he obviously had no confidence whatsoever in his play last year, missed alot of empty nets, had many chances to shoot & practically never did...

to quote a certain goaltender "just chill out..."

i'm just saying I think some Gomez chilling out would probably affect his results on the ice, like it did with the CP.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by AureleJoliat View Post
i think gomez is probably one of our most skilled players... get off his back, let him catch some confidence, let him shoot the ****ing puck... ans his points total will go up.
JM was force-feeding him the ice time to shoot the puck. His point totals went down.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:03 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
he obviously had no confidence whatsoever in his play last year, missed alot of empty nets, had many chances to shoot & practically never did...

i'm just saying I think some Gomez chilling out would probably affect his results on the ice, like it did with the CP.
Well that how as played for the last 4 years at least, never had confidence in his shot and unwilling to work on his plays (do things differently) he plays now like a 2 tricks pony. I dont expect any better next year unless he his also working hard with mario lemieux to learn a new vision of the game..

Old
07-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
Living with Eller's or DD's rookie mistakes on a 2nd Center role >>>>>>> Watching Gomez fail miserably at it on a consistent basis.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:17 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
According to Cap Geek stats there are two teams that could have issues just getting to the cap floor.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts_floor.php
The Preds and the Isles.
Of the two the Isles need to spend $10.4 million just to get to the floor!

Now with the players left what seems likely as a scenrio, give three marginal players and avg salary of $3.5 million or take on Gomez who is really a legit #2 center (look at his last three years, not just last year) for $7 million and then a much mire tradable contract after that and pay a couple of bottom 9 forwards what they are worth on a 3rd pairing dman.

You can't pay 3rd and 4th line guys more than your young players, so IF there is a deal to be had to move Gomez, it's probably with the Isles or the Preds.

Just one opinion.
dont forget to take in consideration niedereiter cap (2.8 millions)

Old
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
skule123

Gomez tidbit:

http://www.ckac.com/hockey/nouvelles...eux-85261.html
Quote:
Soucieux de contribuer davantage aux succès du Tricolore en 2011-2012, Gomez a décidé de faire venir l'entraîneur du conditionnement physique de l'équipe à son domicile en Alaska. Fait à noter, le numéro 11 a insisté pour payer le déplacement de son entraîneur.

Le vétéran de 31 ans voulait être bien certain de réaliser correctement les exercices que lui avait justement préparés Pierre Allard.
Looks like he is personally paying for Habs' conditioning trainer Pierre Allard to move to Alaska to ensure he's in shape for next year. Not sure why he wasn't working this hard last summer, but it is at least partially reassuring to see this kind of contrition.

edit: sorry, missed that it was posted to last page - mea culpa!

Old
07-06-2011, 01:27 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Aren't the Habs fans suppose to be the most knowledgeable fans? It sure doesn't looks like it in this thread. Gomez's productions last year isn't what we should expect from him next year. When was the last time Gomez produced less than 50pts? It was back in 02-03.. I think people need to realize that he is a 50-60pts centerman and should stop saying that anyone could replace Gomez on the team (ex : Gomez and his 38pts are easily replaceable) because he isn't. If you think DD or Eller could play 2nd line center, you're plain wrong. When DD was playing tougher opposition, the puck would always be in our zone. There's a reason why Martin was giving DD very protective minutes/offensive faceoffs. He got better, but he isn't ready. As a matter of fact, if one of DD or Eller should replace Gomez, the spot would go to Eller.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Pandemic

I doubt cap floor teams would be interested in Gomez this off season because his salary is quite high for this coming season. Next off-season I can definitely see some takers with interest.

Old
07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Actually it was in 01-02 that he scored less 50pts the last time.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:32 PM
larrypacman8167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
Living with Eller's or DD's rookie mistakes on a 2nd Center role >>>>>>> Watching Gomez fail miserably at it on a consistent basis.
this

Old
07-06-2011, 02:35 PM
DeVries*

He paid Allard to come to Alaska. So what, he got a freaking ton of millions under his ass..

Old
07-06-2011, 02:37 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0246 View Post
He paid Allard to come to Alaska. So what, he got a freaking ton of millions under his ass..
The guy wants to get better, and all you do his **** on him? Yeah, that makes sense!

Old
07-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Maverik

I never though his conditioning was the problem, but hey, it can't hurt I guess.

Old
07-06-2011, 02:50 PM
Jerky

Gomez will get 60 pts this year!

Why?

This interesting stat is why:

From October 7th - December 7th

Gomez: 28gp - 9pts

Max Pacioretty gets recalled from Hamilton December 12th

From December 15th - March 8th

Gomez: 37 gp - 24pts

Pacioretty injured on March 8th

March 10 - End of season

Gomez: 15 gp - 5pts

If that line stays together all year and is healthy, Gomez will rebound

Last edited by Jerky: 07-06-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Old
07-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
Personally I think that if you look at the last 20 or so games, DD was already ahead of Gomez.

[!
DD is simply not a top 2 NHL center. No matter what the experts at RDS say.

Maybe sometime down the road, but the one thing he did show us in the last 15 games of the season and the 7 playoff games, he was not ready for the repeated hits and physicality of playing center in the NHL when the level notches up at the end of the season.

Maybe DD can become a top 2 line center in the NHL, but the %'s of that happening are just not high with Plekanec as the other center. You cannot go far with more than one small center who wears down at crunch time.

Is the goal to win a cup, or sell more t-shirts?

Old
07-06-2011, 02:58 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post

Why?

Pacioretty injured on March 9th

March 10 - End of season

we all knew he was better with patches but it's nice to see it in numbers. massive improvement to say the least

Old
07-06-2011, 03:16 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverik View Post
I never though his conditioning was the problem, but hey, it can't hurt I guess.
The guy played all of last season with a gut. Seriously.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:42 PM
MoobMoob
EntertainingasanSTD

Those that are hellbent on dealing Gomez need to take a step back and consider it from an investment standpoint. Right now Gomez' value is at an all time low. His salary is higher than his cap hit and he's coming off a down year. At the very least this time next year his value will be the same, but more likely it increases. An indication of what it would take to move him is more likely the Lombardi trade, rather than the Campbell trade. It would cost the habs to deal him.

There's no need to deal him now, so why cut him loose at his lowest value? Keeping him is almost 0 risk, moderate reward. Gives Eller and DD an opportunity to develop more in a protected role, and provides an opportunity for Gomez to gain some value.

All this haranguing over Gomez reminds me of last seasons whining about Price and the Halak trade. Gomez will in all likelihood be a hab next season, deal with it and hope for the best.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:52 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

i agree with you, but i think CP said what he said because he was already confident. In theory, CP and Gomez ended their respective 'bad' years with guilt and awareness (unless Gomez is lying to himself) so i would not be surprised if comes back to camp this fall just like CP last year, confident and determined and fully aware of his mistakes and failures.

Old
07-06-2011, 03:54 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

If healthy(him and his wingers), Gomez gets a 60pts + season this year. Mark my words

Old
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post

Why?

Pacioretty injured on March 8th

March 10 - End of season

so what your saying is that if our young player returning from a concussion & broken neck is able to come back, play all 82 games, and continue carrying Gomez, we can expect a whopping 53pt season from him... and that would be a rebound?

24pts/37games isn't exactly a hero pace, heck it's a marginal 2nd line centre pace.

with or without MaxPac, Gomez should be able to eclipse 50pts if he plays 82 games with the minutes/icetime/roles/linemates he had last year... it was almost fluky that he produced so little given the opportunity he had and hard to imagine any decent offensive player in the NHL to put 2 terrible years of that nature together back-to-back (in part b/c most coaches wouldn't tolerate such mediocre play for that long).

yeah, thanks but no thanks... I'd rather see what Eller/DD can do playing with MaxPac for the season (btw the two I'd be shocked if they couldn't put together 50pt+ season assuming they were getting PP time as well.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:30 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
so what your saying is that if our young player returning from a concussion & broken neck is able to come back, play all 82 games, and continue carrying Gomez, we can expect a whopping 53pt season from him... and that would be a rebound?

24pts/37games isn't exactly a hero pace, heck it's a marginal 2nd line centre pace.

with or without MaxPac, Gomez should be able to eclipse 50pts if he plays 82 games with the minutes/icetime/roles/linemates he had last year... it was almost fluky that he produced so little given the opportunity he had and hard to imagine any decent offensive player in the NHL to put 2 terrible years of that nature together back-to-back (in part b/c most coaches wouldn't tolerate such mediocre play for that long).

yeah, thanks but no thanks... I'd rather see what Eller/DD can do playing with MaxPac for the season (btw the two I'd be shocked if they couldn't put together 50pt+ season assuming they were getting PP time as well.
Exactly... DD with 2nd line duty and PP imuntes would easily get 50pts.

It's depressing to think that we'll start the season with Gomez still in the lineup.

Old
07-06-2011, 08:36 PM
JimmyDarmody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Exactly... DD with 2nd line duty and PP imuntes would easily get 50pts.

It's depressing to think that we'll start the season with Gomez still in the lineup.
What's even more depressing is the fact we're still catering the lineup around him like a baby who needs to be coddled.

Closed Thread