HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official Scott Gomez Thread part tres - Siesta Edition

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
didn't get scored on tonight...
didn't "hurt" the team tonight...
didn't do ANYTHING...

I guess we should almost be appreciative after last games -3.

but if the people upstairs actually care about this franchise, then there is no way you go into the next season with this guy on your active roster... no way.
He hurt the team with his faceoffs tonight.

Look at Plekanec. Hardly a dominant faceoff guy but he improved significantly tonight. Eller and DD were both at 50% on faceoffs today.

Gomez? 33%.

He just cannot adjust his game, while everyone else has at least attempted to.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

Thank god Gainey blew the team up in 2009, we needed a team capable of losing 4 in a row to the mediocre Bruins.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:37 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
you guys are being way too harsh on Gomez. He's picked up his game a bit in the PO, he has 3 points and a modest - 3

Lets compare him to another player... ok, off the top of my head, lets use Chris Drury ... in 4 PO games he has 1 assist... at about the same cap-hit... so why are you fans acting so spoiled???

And on top of it all, he still has 3 more years to redeem himself ... so cut him some slack and have a little patience... I swear we have the most demanding fans sometimes!!!

When you need to compare a player to Chris Drury for him to look good, you are in big trouble.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:44 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Gomez was putrid as ever tonight. He showed some flashes in Game 1 but he's back to being his old self now.

I've never called for a Hab to be booed but I hope the crowd gets impatient with him next game. He's a million times worse than Brisebois ever was in every possible way. Hell, good old Patrice usually produced at the same rate he did this year, as a defensemen.

Boo Gomez until management (especially Martin) realizes he has nothing to bring to this team. He's bringing down Gionta who gets his shots and points despite him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22
When you need to compare a player to Chris Drury for him to look good, you are in big trouble.
I'd honestly rather have Chris Drury right now. Far more useful in a bottom 6 role, better leadership and he looks like he cares.

Old
04-23-2011, 10:48 PM
OpenIceHit

Eat **** Gomez!

Old
04-23-2011, 10:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

3 more years of him?

Old
04-23-2011, 10:55 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
3 more years of him?
This is seriously depressing.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:00 PM
not quite yoda

Does Gomez have to go though waivers and MORE IMPORTANTLY re-entry waivers before we can buy him out?

Old
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
DeVries*

**** I hate Gomez... Please just burry him in the minors forever after this season. Make it happens... If the NYRangers and Oilers can do it, YES WE CAN.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:06 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
Does Gomez have to go though waivers and MORE IMPORTANTLY re-entry waivers before we can buy him out?
Waivers only. If he isn't claimed (he won't be, hopefully) we have to pay his full salary but he won't count on the cap. I hope our dear beer brewing owners care enough about winning to send him down.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:09 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Waivers only. If he isn't claimed (he won't be, hopefully) we have to pay his full salary but he won't count on the cap. I hope our dear beer brewing owners care enough about winning to send him down.
what? you wish he would not be claimed? that would be the best case scenario.

In any event you did not answer my question. I asked if he had to go through re-entry waivers before we could BUY HIM OUT.

i didn t say anything about sending him to the AHL.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:12 PM
slimkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
You do that and Montreal's reputation, which is already bad with free agents, will worsen.

It's easy to say "bury him" but don't expect future FAs or players on the trading block with NMCs to want to play in Montreal where they could be buried in the AHL.

... and New York is going through this too. Not that Gaborik is bad or anything, but he's a clear overpayment at $7.5m.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:25 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimkay View Post
You do that and Montreal's reputation, which is already bad with free agents, will worsen.
montreal's reputation with UFAs is bad? really. where did you hear that?

Old
04-23-2011, 11:32 PM
E = CH²

Quote:

It's easy to say "bury him" but don't expect future FAs or players on the trading block with NMCs to want to play in Montreal where they could be buried in the AHL.

... and New York is going through this too. Not that Gaborik is bad or anything, but he's a clear overpayment at $7.5m.
It wouldn't be a huge loss. Good UFA signings are one in a million. 99% of the time you overpay for a mercenary who's only trying to get the most $ possible and doesn't have a special interest in playing for your team.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:36 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:

When a player is making $7million and garnishes 37 pts, you have no choice. Either take the chance wasting cap space on a pylon or take a chance on signing someone. I'm pretty sure they take the latter. That $7m can be used on 2 players.

I'd honestly be happy with 2, 15 year old soccer players wearing cleats on the ice over him.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:37 PM
dustyrockon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
It wouldn't be a huge loss. Good UFA signings are one in a million. 99% of the time you overpay for a mercenary who's only trying to get the most $ possible and doesn't have a special interest in playing for your team.
Gomez might not be interested at all anymore but I think he will still come out clutch before the end of the series/playoffs.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:41 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
halpern, gionta, gill were all very good UFA signings. that s over 1% of our UFA signings wouldn t you say?

Old
04-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Miller Time

Quote:

sorry but that is a load of bull...

no player, especially elite ones, expect to end up so bad that their team would want to put them in the minors rather than actually play them, ego's can't allow for that and for the most part it's true.

and besides, this "no one wants to play in montreal" crap is b.s. Player polls show it, current and ex-players show it, any hockey player who prefers playing in front of engaged fans loves playing in montreal, even if it might mean they'll get booed if their play drops.

plus montreal is clearly one of the better cities in North America to be in if you have any cultural inclinations or european ties...

the only real negatives are the taxes and the climate, one of those is a factor in the vast majority of the hockey markets, the other is not as big of a deal as some people imply. rich people with good accountants don't pay up, and with the conservatives about to get a majority, it will only get easier

Players go where
1A- they can win
1B- where they get the biggest payday
2- where their wives want to live/close to family/city they want to play in

1A is the biggest reason we had trouble attracting UFA's throughout the 2000's.

1B is why we landed Cammy/Gionta/Spacek (and Hamrlik/Samsonov before that).

with what the team did last year, is doing this year, and with Price looking like a bonafide top-5 goalie in the league for years to come, 1A should be a lot more appealing to UFA's moving forward, problem is that 1B is next to impossible as long as we are stuck with teh 7.4M$ handcuffs.

Quote:
an overpayment who put up 86pts last year, and 68 in a very "off" year...

give me that any day of the week over our overpayment.

Old
04-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Strangely our "reputation" wasn't that bad when we overpaid all of them and they all came in the end. Now, I know this period is an overpayment period, you can't want a guy in the UFA and not expect to overpay him, yet, words are that Gionta and Cammy would have never received it elsewhere even if TO was interested in Cammy. So I will not believe it will get worst if this happen, players know what Gomez is about, they saw and see his performance, and if sending him down makes room for them, they'll sign.

Hey, Gainey have sent Laraque home....what's our reputation after that?

Old
04-23-2011, 11:56 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
halpern, gionta, gill were all very good UFA signings. that s over 1% of our UFA signings wouldn t you say?
I was exaggerating.

But really there will always be halperns, giontas and gills ready to sign for you if you give them the amount and terms they want.

I don't think any other team was offering anywhere close to 5M/5years to Gionta. If you wanna believe he came here cuz of Gomez go ahead but I'm not buying that either.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
I was exaggerating.

But really there will always be halperns, giontas and gills ready to sign for you if you give them the amount and terms they want.

I don't think any other team was offering anywhere close to 5M/5years to Gionta. If you wanna believe he came here cuz of Gomez go ahead but I'm not buying that either.
i think gionta came here for the money. no doubt. but he is still a good deal.

there are many good deals that can be had as UFAs. it s all about who you go after.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
not to get all semantic on you, but what's your definition of "very good"?

i'd use a scale something like this:

Great = well above expectations
Very good = above expectations
good = performs as expected/fills need
average/mediocre = performs a bit below expectations and/or doesn't quite fill need
bad signing = below expectations
very bad signing = way below expectations/doesn't fit in
Awful = Redden/Gomez/Drury level signing (i.e better off bought out or demoted)

with that in mind, I'd say Gill and Halpern were good signings, Gionta somewhere between good/mediocre (he's more or less lived up to expectations, but for a 5M$ winger, we needed a consistent top-line producer which he hasn't really been)

but I wouldn't call any of them "very good signings" (mind you, Gill did exceed my expectations, but mine were much lower than what the team thought).

Old
04-24-2011, 12:16 AM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
not to get all semantic on you, but what's your definition of "very good"?

i'd use a scale something like this:

Great = well above expectations
Very good = above expectations
good = performs as expected/fills need
average/mediocre = performs a bit below expectations and/or doesn't quite fill need
bad signing = below expectations
very bad signing = way below expectations/doesn't fit in
Awful = Redden/Gomez/Drury level signing (i.e better off bought out or demoted)

with that in mind, I'd say Gill and Halpern were good signings, Gionta somewhere between good/mediocre (he's more or less lived up to expectations, but for a 5M$ winger, we needed a consistent top-line producer which he hasn't really been)

but I wouldn't call any of them "very good signings" (mind you, Gill did exceed my expectations, but mine were much lower than what the team thought).
the guy said 1% of UFA signings are worth it.

i made my point.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:20 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
the guy said 1% of UFA signings are worth it.

i made my point.
you posted solely to point out that another poster made an incredibly obvious exaggeration in making his own point?

where's my captain obvious jpeg when I need it

beyond that, his point was actually quite accurate. Getting quality signings on the UFA market is incredibly difficult, especially if you aren't already a contender.

otherwise, the top players are either more likely to stay put (and give a hometown "discount"), or go to the team of their choice (either for the big pay day or for a chance at a cup).

for a middle of the pack team like us, throwing around big paydays is our best shot (see Cammalleri, Spacek, Gionta), and when you do that, I'd say it's almost accurate that 99% of the time the player can't quite play up to that cap hit.

Old
04-24-2011, 12:29 AM
not quite yoda

cammalleri is overpaid. i agree. what was the alternative to signing him? re-signing kovalev at 5M? that would have been a better idea and not an overpayment? havlat at 5M? that s not an overpayment? sitting on the money? was that going to get us more points?

who cares if he is overpaid or not. that will not win or lose you a game.

spending your money on the best possible option. that will win you games.

gomez is not our best option. spending so much on D is not our best option.

Closed Thread