HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A Habs fan'S opinion...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-11-2004, 11:33 PM
  #1
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
A Habs fan'S opinion...

I'M a Habs fan, but I've often wondered how the Sens can suck that much with all the talent they have. I mean, you guys have 2 #1 lines and you #3 line is usually as good as other teams' 2nd lines, you should be able to do a lot more than you do in playoffs.

I cam to the conclusion that you'Re missing a power forward. Don't you guys agree? I was reading a thread about signing Bondra, and I was wondering "Why would they want to sign him when they could get a Glenn Murray for roughly the same money? The guy is in his prime, he scores goals, and is BIG! The guy will hit, go in corners, stand in front of the net... I think THAT type of player is what's missing in your team...

So, what's your opinion? Do you think a Murray/Bertuzzi type of guy could help you, or am I missing something? I just can't understand why this situation has never been adressed by the Sens, and now that Murray is UFA, I never heard any rumor or talk about the Sens being interested..

MasterD is offline  
Old
07-11-2004, 11:38 PM
  #2
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Glen Murray won't sign for 2-2.5M which is what Bondra will be earning next season.
Is a $4M difference 'roughly' the same money in your world?

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
07-11-2004, 11:42 PM
  #3
MasterD
Registered User
 
MasterD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,548
vCash: 500
Wll, for one, I don'T think Murray will sign for 6M$, unless he's bought by NYR or Dallas or somethng.. a "normal" team would give him 4.5/5M$, IMO

and I also doubt Bondra will go for as low as 2M$.. a team like Atlanta, or Buffalo, or NYI, who's always struggling for playoff contention and falls out of it 3-4weeks before the playoffs could probably use Bondra to try and go further... so I think Bondra will go for around 3M$, unless the guy REALLY loves the city and WANTS to come back, although he could get more $$$ somewhere else..

So yeah, IMO Murray goes for 5M$, and Bondra for 3M$... 2M$ more for a big guy in his prime instead of an old sniper whose numbers are going downhill since the last 3 years.. the choice is easy for me..

MasterD is offline  
Old
07-11-2004, 11:45 PM
  #4
Beakermania*
 
Beakermania*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kingston or Hamilton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,964
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterD
"Why would they want to sign him when they could get a Glenn Murray for roughly the same money? The guy is in his prime, he scores goals, and is BIG! The guy will hit, go in corners, stand in front of the net... I think THAT type of player is what's missing in your team...
Murray:

Big - yes
Scores, - yes (playing with a great playmaker like thornton)
Will hit, Go in corners, stand in front - not as often as you'd think

I'm a habs fan too, but i see alot of games of most teams in the division. If you ask bruins fans they will tell you murray doesn't play like a powerforward.

Beakermania* is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:01 AM
  #5
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
I would honestly take a chance on Pyatt before signing a streaky guy like Murray. I don't know what Buffalo would want for him, and I don't think they'd trade to a divisional rival, but they did pull the Varada deal with us, so you never know. Pyatt is a big kid (6'4", ~225 I think). He is a bit of an underachiever, but that's why he's worth taking a chance on, because he may come cheap if Buffalo is willing to trade him to us.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:08 AM
  #6
V for Voodoo
Registered User
 
V for Voodoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boom Shaka-Laka.
Country: Nepal
Posts: 5,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Pyatt plays like Todd White without the offense, defense and faceoff skills.

V for Voodoo is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:48 AM
  #7
Tucker316*
 
Tucker316*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,932
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tucker316*
"I'M a Habs fan, but I've often wondered how the Sens can suck that much with all the talent they have."

Hah, I like how he opened up his thread. I wouldn't exactly say they suck. But yeah they need a power forward. They have all the skill and speed they need.
A good shot with a guy who can muck it up, and carry the puck up ice whilst sticking his ass in the opposing goalie's face would be good.

Tucker316* is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 12:57 AM
  #8
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
I would honestly take a chance on Pyatt before signing a streaky guy like Murray. I don't know what Buffalo would want for him, and I don't think they'd trade to a divisional rival, but they did pull the Varada deal with us, so you never know. Pyatt is a big kid (6'4", ~225 I think). He is a bit of an underachiever, but that's why he's worth taking a chance on, because he may come cheap if Buffalo is willing to trade him to us.
Buffalo would probably bite if offered a roster d-man. Whether or not that's "cheap", I guess all depends on who gets dangled. Preliminary talks about Pyatt and the Sens came up in a Pyatt/Connolly thread on the trade boards...Fisher's name was mentioned by a Buffalo fan, but I don't see that happening. They really need some backing on the blueline. Especially if Zhitnik signs elsewhere.

I wonder what you think a fair offer would be. At this point, Buffalo would probably trade with anyone if it eased the logjam at forward and/or goaltending positions.

And stand up for yourselves! The Senators do not suck, they just need to get tougher. Neal couldn't scare a team's stickboy! I'd kill for your forwards, Hasek-clone Prusek, and top defenders. Your GM built a cup contender in Buffalo, and I bet you guys go far next year (whenever that is).

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:03 AM
  #9
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBaker
Buffalo would probably bite if offered a roster d-man. Whether or not that's "cheap", I guess all depends on who gets dangled. Preliminary talks about Pyatt and the Sens came up in a Pyatt/Connolly thread on the trade boards...Fisher's name was mentioned by a Buffalo fan, but I don't see that happening. They really need some backing on the blueline. Especially if Zhitnik signs elsewhere.

I wonder what you think a fair offer would be. At this point, Buffalo would probably trade with anyone if it eased the logjam at forward and/or goaltending positions.

And stand up for yourselves! The Senators do not suck, they just need to get tougher. Neal couldn't scare a team's stickboy! I'd kill for your forwards, Hasek-clone Prusek, and top defenders. Your GM built a cup contender in Buffalo, and I bet you guys go far next year (whenever that is).
If Mike Fisher got traded I would die.

If they want a roster dman, it's fair to say that Redden, Chara, Phillips and Volchenkov are out of the question... (they're core players, untradable at this point unless they get an offer that can't be refused). The only ones left are Pothier and de Vries.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:16 AM
  #10
Lexicon Devil
Registered User
 
Lexicon Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Do you think a Murray/Bertuzzi type of guy could help you
A Zhitnik/Iginla type of guy might help.

Lexicon Devil is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:18 AM
  #11
Hobey Baker
Registered User
 
Hobey Baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Charlestown
Country: United States
Posts: 7,237
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
If Mike Fisher got traded I would die.

If they want a roster dman, it's fair to say that Redden, Chara, Phillips and Volchenkov are out of the question... (they're core players, untradable at this point unless they get an offer that can't be refused). The only ones left are Pothier and de Vries.
Too bad Rachunek's gone...I like Pothier, though, and I wonder if Phillips could be had as part of a package. What's the deal with CP anyways- is everyone happy with him? Sometimes I get the idea that people put too weight in his draft position and want to label him a "semi-bust". Even if Z stays put, I'd like to see Buffalo talk to Mucks about his availability. It would be nice to pry him from the Sens ranks. What does he make anyways?

DeVries...eh...naw.

Hobey Baker is offline  
Old
07-12-2004, 01:29 AM
  #12
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2
 
Tap on the Ankle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBaker
Too bad Rachunek's gone...I like Pothier, though, and I wonder if Phillips could be had as part of a package. What's the deal with CP anyways- is everyone happy with him? Sometimes I get the idea that people put too weight in his draft position and want to label him a "semi-bust". Even if Z stays put, I'd like to see Buffalo talk to Mucks about his availability. It would be nice to pry him from the Sens ranks. What does he make anyways?

DeVries...eh...naw.
Chris Phillips is a pretty underrated guy on this team, IMO. Not many people give him the credit he deserves. He is a gritty, solid stay-at-home dman and a natural leader. His play is generally mediocre (he rarely makes mistakes, but he isn't anything to brag about) at the beginning of every season, but he is the kind of guy that steps it up when it matters (a trait in serious short supply here in Ottawa). He turns into a vicious beast during the playoffs. I don't think he can really be labelled as a bust when you look at his draft class. The only notable players that were drafted in the first round are Daniel Briere, Ruslan Salei, Ric Jackman, and Marco Sturm - all good players, but nothing spectacular. I'm sure there were plenty of late-round gems that year, but it's not like any of them would have been drafted in the first round anyway

The only way I see Phillips getting traded is if Hasek turns out for the worse, and the plan B of Prusek/Emery doesn't either. Then, a backup-backup plan of Martin Biron or Mika Noronen may be a possibility (though that would be a little high-profile for an inter-divisional trade). Both Biron and Noronen (especially Biron) have #1 potential, and you guys have Miller coming up through the system, who is probably going to be your #1 in the not-so-distant future.

Tap on the Ankle is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.