HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

James Wisniewski vs Mark Streit

Old
04-03-2011, 03:05 PM
katatoniak

vCash: 500
the habs will have to sign Subban in 2 seasons ... dont forget that. He'll probably get something like 3.5-4 for a reallly long time (I hope)

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:50 PM
FuriousBob

Streit is better than Wiz IMO.

I still think we should sign Wiz because he as the tools to help the team and his gritty a bit

FuriousBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quite surprised to see so many putting Streit above Wizniewski. I don't see that at all. I'd take Wiz over Streit any day of the week.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:55 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Quite surprised to see so many putting Streit above Wizniewski. I don't see that at all. I'd take Wiz over Streit any day of the week.
+1 here.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
Habs are in a similar situation to when Streit became a free agent.
Haven't read any replies yet, but it is ENTIRELY not the same situation.

The problem with Streit was that we needed him on the right side, where he was mediocre compared to when he plays on the left, where we already had two really good Dman in Markov and Hamr. Habs weren't going to pay 4 mil playing as 3rd pairing Dman slash 1st PP unit, or having him on the right side where he is a liability.

This time around, we're dealing with a righty, racking up points, but we already have Markov on the left, and Subban on the right for the foreseeable future. And we have Weber who also has offensive attributes, a righty, like Subban and Wiz. Too many offensive Ds is not that good even if Markov and Subban are way above average defensively.

See the difference? Streit was gone because we couldn't use him where we needed him, whereas Wiz was a patch on a team which already had many offensive Ds and also many Ds who can play both sides (right and left) (Subban, Gorges, Spacek) so his playing side isn't as much an issue. If he isn't signed, high probabilities are that it will because the Habs won't pay for something they already have in bunches, offensive Ds.

Streit was an issue of playing side on a team that didn't have that many offensive Ds compared to this year's team, Wiz is more a question of having too many of one type of D.

Quote:
They have an offensive d-man who's racking up points but also has some flaws defensively. The Wiz may be more physical and gritty but Streit actually had more points and is maybe more mobile.

Which one do you like better? Do you give similar money to Wiz?
I prefer Wiz though, just a shame we'll probably lose him too, but on the bright side, we have Markov and Subban...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:17 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
Streit and it's not close. I actually watched him with the Islanders during the last couple of years. He's a top pairing D now.
On a crap team...he doesnt touch the top pairing of 90% of the teams in this league, not to detriment his play at all, he is a good player.

I absolutely love Wiz´s pinching and lane finding in the offensive zone. The main difference between Streit and him, they both have a good shot, but Wiz gets more of his points from being in the right spot on the back door or in the slot in the offensive zone.

Streit is a bit superior defensively, mostly because of his positioning and skating. Contrary to others in here, I think Wiz is much better stickhandler, he has a nice pair of hands. Puck moving is a bit of a wash.

Dont really care tbh, like both of them.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:22 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Haven't read any replies yet, but it is ENTIRELY not the same situation.

The problem with Streit was that we needed him on the right side, where he was mediocre compared to when he plays on the left, where we already had two really good Dman in Markov and Hamr. Habs weren't going to pay 4 mil playing as 3rd pairing Dman slash 1st PP unit, or having him on the right side where he is a liability.

This time around, we're dealing with a righty, racking up points, but we already have Markov on the left, and Subban on the right for the foreseeable future. And we have Weber who also has offensive attributes, a righty, like Subban and Wiz. Too many offensive Ds is not that good even if Markov and Subban are way above average defensively.

See the difference? Streit was gone because we couldn't use him where we needed him, whereas Wiz was a patch on a team which already had many offensive Ds and also many Ds who can play both sides (right and left) (Subban, Gorges, Spacek) so his playing side isn't as much an issue. If he isn't signed, high probabilities are that it will because the Habs won't pay for something they already have in bunches, offensive Ds.

Streit was an issue of playing side on a team that didn't have that many offensive Ds compared to this year's team, Wiz is more a question of having too many of one type of D.

I prefer Wiz though, just a shame we'll probably lose him too, but on the bright side, we have Markov and Subban...
You've got very good points. Didn't remember nor think about the side thing but it's totally spot-on.

I still prefer having mobile puck-moving defensemen who can actually keep up with our forwards rather than big slow defensive d-men. Especially when you have guys like Markov and Subban who can play in any types of situations.

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Kriss E

Wiz.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
You've got very good points. Didn't remember nor think about the side thing but it's totally spot-on.

I still prefer having mobile puck-moving defensemen who can actually keep up with our forwards rather than big slow defensive d-men. Especially when you have guys like Markov and Subban who can play in any types of situations.
I prefer puck-moving Dmen who are more complete than Wiz.

We have the space this summer to improve on our 'cap worth' for our defense (I don't think Subban will break the bank next year, max 3-4 mil unless he totally skyrockets in stats next season). So instead of keeping Wiz, we should spend the money to replace a guy like Hamr with a similar player (because Wiz's cap, is Markov's cap in essence and I don't think Markov will be signing elsewhere). If we can trade Spacek, then Wiz could be a possibility for that spot on the right side, with not much added cap for the switch, but without that trade, I don't see Wiz sign here.

Thing is, I pray that we can trade Spacek and keep Wiz, and while we're at it, replace the aging Hamr by signing Ehrhoff. And then sign Hammer to close to Gill's cap to replace the latter. I think one of those three wishes might happen, but all 3...

I'm expecting Wiz to not sign here, not because of pessimism (which is reeeeeeally not my cup of tea if you've read me before), but because Habs are known as a conservative and high class bunch, so unless Spacek wants to go, they probably will let him play out his last contract year here, and they just can't replace Hamr with Spacek. Although... PG said he was less passive than PG (paraphrasing)... We'll see.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Etienne

I'd take Wiz. Streit might appear more well-rounded but he's also very soft and has difficulties handling pressure. Put an intense forecheck on this guy and he's a turnover machine.

Etienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Mr. Hab

For me, I'd take The Wiz over Streit for a 3 year contract.

Wisniewski...
Grit/toughness: B or more
Bodychecking: B or more
Offence: A
Defense: B- or C+
Shot: A-
Skating/speed: B-

Streit...
Grit/toughness: C- or less
Bodychecking: C- or D+
Defense: B- (edited)
Shot : A (edited!)
Skating/speed: A-

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-04-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:06 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post

Wisniewski...
Heart/intensity/character/warrior: B
Shot: A
Skating/speed: C+

Streit...
Grit/toughness: C-
Bodychecking: C-
Heart/intensity/character/warrior: C+
Offence: B+
Defense: C+
Shot : B or B+
How does Wiz have a better shot than Streit? How does Wiz have better offense?

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:04 PM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
On a crap team...he doesnt touch the top pairing of 90% of the teams in this league, not to detriment his play at all, he is a good player.

I absolutely love Wiz´s pinching and lane finding in the offensive zone. The main difference between Streit and him, they both have a good shot, but Wiz gets more of his points from being in the right spot on the back door or in the slot in the offensive zone.

Streit is a bit superior defensively, mostly because of his positioning and skating. Contrary to others in here, I think Wiz is much better stickhandler, he has a nice pair of hands. Puck moving is a bit of a wash.

Dont really care tbh, like both of them.
Maybe he is playing on a crap team...

But Wisniewski played almost 2:00/game less than Streit, in that same crappy team, with the same defensive squad, so, i'll say that at least for the Islanders' coach at the time, Streit may be more reliable.
And the amount of points Wisniewski will pot this year had already been overcome twice by the swiss...

I think that a lot of people didnt watched Streit after he left...with more responsabilities, he really developed himself quickly, without pressure, he seems to be doing very well.

I know its not necessary a good stat, but he had a positive +/- with the terrible Islanders in two seasons in a row...(whereas a lot of guys are under -10 or -15...)

Anyway, like you, i like them both, its just that i find surprising the surprise of some when they realize that Streit could be better than the Habs' player...

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
How does Wiz have a better shot than Streit? How does Wiz have better offense?
I stand (sit!) corrected! Wrong for offense, but I'm projecting the next 3-4 seasons...I'll pick Wiz due to also being 6 years younger than Streit.

Better offense? Well...not if you compare their last 3-4 seasons, but projecting the next 3-4 seasons...I should mention that! I'd take the 6 years younger Wiz for point production.

Wiz is 27yrs young...Streit is 33.
Wiz may be less injury prone VS Streit.

Not Streit's fault (injury), but...Streit missed the entire season and may be come more injury prone when he comes back.

Up to me...I'd rather have 27 year-old Wiz VS maybe more injury prone now, not getting younger, soft as butter Streit. Maybe Streit's best days are behind him...I've been wrong before.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-03-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Old
04-03-2011, 10:15 PM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
I'll take the Wiz pleeease.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:27 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'm off in those categories...or being a bit of a homer since Wiz is wearing the CH jersey. But...I feel like Wiz has more of a cannon of a shot (with precision, lots of top corners) ; and Streit goes more for low precision slapshots (powerful but not ''cannon'' shots)...but I could be wrong of course!!

Offense? Well...maybe more of a projection of points for the next 3-4 years? (incl. who will stay healthier to get more points).

Anyways...I can always edit/change/improve the grades in those categories!!
Well, Streit has more goals than Wiz. Wiz only hit 10 goals or more once in his career, this year. Streit has done it more than few times. Streit also has a LOT higher PPG than Wiz, it's not even close. I mean, if Streit misses another year, then yes, Wiz will get more points, but streit on a the islanders will likely have more points than wiz on the habs IMO.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:47 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Well, Streit has more goals than Wiz. Wiz only hit 10 goals or more once in his career, this year. Streit has done it more than few times. Streit also has a LOT higher PPG than Wiz, it's not even close. I mean, if Streit misses another year, then yes, Wiz will get more points, but streit on a the islanders will likely have more points than wiz on the habs IMO.
Streit has way more offense in last 3-4 seasons, for sure.

This year: Wiz will have 50pts or more VS Streit's 0 pts (due to injury of course! not Streit's fault).

We'll see how Streit bounces back from this injury. And we'll see if Wiz gets 50pts+ again...he's 27 so he should be able to do it 2-3 more times??? maybe Streit gets 50pts two more times? he's not that physical so maybe he'll stay healthy for a longer time when he comes back, we'll see...

And yup...I see Streit getting more pts with Isles VS Wiz, but we'll see how Streit bounces back...or not or slows down...
It would be great if Subbie, Markov, and Wiz all get 50pts next year!! (but that's next season, no rush! we'll see who gets signed/traded/lost via UFA this summer...).

THE WIZ: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2291

STREIT: http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?4907

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Pr3Va1L

Worse is, if Gainey didn't have that "No négociation during seasons" thing going on, Streit would have signed on the cheap (said it himself.)

Pr3Va1L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:30 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3Va1L View Post
Worse is, if Gainey didn't have that "No négociation during seasons" thing going on, Streit would have signed on the cheap (said it himself.)
On the cheap for Streit could have been 4mil/year instead of 4.1mil he's making in NY!! (he was not going to be cheap after a 62pt season).

We (somehow) need to get a Robin Regehr or a Dustin Byfuglien type of dman to counter the Prongers, Hartnells, Lucics (ogre), Charas (criminal/sore loser/ogre), etc....

We'll need money for maybe Markov, maybe Wiz, for sure Price, for sure Subban... no more money left for soft as butter Streit.

Markov, Spacek, Streit...we'd be way too soft if we still had Streit (especially against Boston, Philly). Offensive dmen is not our problem,imo.

Not missing Streit at all...happy he's doing well in NY. Good for NY.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 04-04-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old
04-04-2011, 01:15 AM
number 11

streits points were inflated because he played on the 3rd/4th line a lot. he was pretty brutal in the defensive zone though, so i would gladly take an offensive d-man like wiz who will pot 10 less points but is a lot more solid defensively.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:34 AM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:

Wisniewski...
Heart/intensity/character/warrior: B
Shot: A
Skating/speed: B-

Streit...
Grit/toughness: C-
Bodychecking: C-
Heart/intensity/character/warrior: C+
Offence: B+
Defense: C+
Shot : B or B+
I don't mean to sound like a ****** or anything, but have you ever seen Streit take a slapshot? He's definitely got one of the harder shots in the NHL.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
I don't mean to sound like a ****** or anything, but have you ever seen Streit take a slapshot? He's definitely got one of the harder shots in the NHL.
No don't worry...I do remember but it seems like it is vague now!!
But I've watched Streit in many many games, but it's been awhile.
What I remember: hard, precise shot and got it on net quite often (not a cannon like Souray's back in the day but hard), and he would usually get it on net...lower area of net more than top corner.

Would anyone here say it's about the same power as M-A Bergeron's slapper, or Streit's is slightly more powerful from what I remember.

Anyways...for me it would be WIZ (27yrs young) over Streit (33yrs old). Streit took an entire year off...may now have entered ''injury prone'' cateogry and imo was always too soft to be a playoff warrior...to me he was good for the regular season...I could be wrong of course!).

Old
04-04-2011, 03:40 AM
LeBlondeDemon10
10 AM Its Automatic

Forget about Markov returning to elite form or even coming back for a full season. He is snake-bitten. Sign the Wiz. Gainey's biggest mistake was not signing Streit.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:42 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Forget about Markov returning to elite form or even coming back for a full season. He is snake-bitten. Sign the Wiz. Gainey's biggest mistake was not signing Streit.

Next year:

Markov (1yr or 2yrs?) OR top 4 gritty/tough UFA dman
Wisniewski OR gritty UFA dman (3-4 years)
PK Subban
Gorges (3-4 years' contract)
Hamrlik? OR Gill?
Spacek (signed for 1 more yr at $3,8mil)
------------- ------------------ -----------------
Mara? or Sopel?
Weber

Old
04-04-2011, 08:07 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stray Cat View Post
I'd try to lock him up at 3-3.5 million / year
Going to take more then that I would think. At a minimum we are talking $4M a year for 3-4 years I would think.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote