HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Los Angeles Dodgers

Old
04-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
The only way that is remotely possible is if someone like Mark Cuban buys the team.
The Cubs will have a hole at 1B after they let Pena walk. I'm not seeing a lot of potential targets like the Dodgers could be for Pujols. Of course this is all provided the owner has any money after the wife gets through with him. Why any man gets married without a pre nup is beyond me.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:35 AM
no name

vCash: 500
Wow, I'm glad I'm watching the Kings instead of the Dodger meltdown tonight.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 12:57 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Wow, I'm glad I'm watching the Kings instead of the Dodger meltdown tonight.
The Kings were more painful to watch. I sort of expected it with the Dodgers, NGL.

They were doing fine until Hawksworth left and it just went to **** there right at the end. Man, brutal.

Rizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:31 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
AP is reporting that MLB is taking over financial day-to-day operations of the Dodgers.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 04:48 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
AP is reporting that MLB is taking over financial day-to-day operations of the Dodgers.
... WOW. Welp, there's all you need to draw up the post-mortem on the McCourt Era.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Best news i've gotten in weeks.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 05:20 PM
Quattro

awesome

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:25 PM
KillerKampfer*

Thats great anything to get these two losers away from the franchise. What a tool letting his woman take him like that, especially giving her important baseball titles.

I hope Penner's wife does a Jamie McCourt on him...

Have any baseball franchises been sold recently? I know its hard to break into Jacobs and Bettman's little club and blackberry guy was laughed at but the exclusivity of MLB ownership is almost baffling. There is tons of TV money in baseball, I don't see how you can lose money owning the Dodgers when you never really have to pay for pitching and can find reliable starting arms here and there consistently. No risk of eating Zito/Lackey type contracts, the Schmitt mistake was only made to get him away from the biggest rival.

Once the 20+ mil per year is on the table I think guys will want to go to LA to play ball instead of somewhere like Boston or New York, or even Chicago let alone the small cities that don't appeal to millionaires.

Manny never had any intention of leaving when he was negotiating his deal with the Dodgers he loved LA.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Wildturkey12
Do It!

vCash: 648
What a good night. Garland looked great and Frankie gets pushed out.

Wildturkey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:03 AM
Nose of Sutter

Good for the Dodgers getting those loser McCourts away from the team.

Nose of Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 01:20 AM
Orenji

Kemp is currently the best hitter in the league and Ethier is third.

This team really should be better if they could get some help. Hopefully they can get a new owner soon (shouldn't be too hard seeing as the Dodgers still bring in 40,000 per game, their merchandise sells like mad, and it's a top franchise) and get some new players.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mark Cuban being the owner. Would be fun.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 05:13 AM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Quote:
I saw that on the MLB show and the league will appoint someone to do so later today, I think. I hope the team gets a serious owner. That and they actually beat the braves in a solid performance. I was seriously surprised.

Old
04-21-2011, 05:40 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
Manny never had any intention of leaving when he was negotiating his deal with the Dodgers he loved LA.
I wish he had left then.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerKampfer View Post
... And L.A. loved him. I still miss that guy in the middle of the lineup. He might not have been the player he once was, but he was better than anyone we had.

And the Dodgers are futilely trying to fill that hole in LF that Manny left with the immortal Tony Gwynn Jr. Yeah, I'm sure that opposing pitchers really feel fear in their hearts facing that guy.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 12:56 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orenji View Post
Kemp is currently the best hitter in the league and Ethier is third.

This team really should be better if they could get some help. Hopefully they can get a new owner soon (shouldn't be too hard seeing as the Dodgers still bring in 40,000 per game, their merchandise sells like mad, and it's a top franchise) and get some new players.

Wouldn't mind seeing Mark Cuban being the owner. Would be fun.
Not anymore. 29,000 at last nights game announced. Probably ~20,000 actually there. In the paper today they said the Dodgers only sold 17,000 season tickets this season, down over 10,000 from a couple years ago. They also said the Angels will probably outdraw the Dodgers for the first time in franchise history.

Old
04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Yeah attendance really nosedived. I think that was one of the many signs to MLB that the Dodgers were deteriorating as a franchise. Final straw being the fact McCourt took out a 30 million loan with Fox and it went straight to his personal account, not the clubs.

Sad situation, but I hope we can get someone like Cuban. I can see the club resurging under an owner like that. He may be brash but he's smart.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Dodgers are moving to Winnipeg then?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Dodgers are moving to Winnipeg then?
LOL

Old
04-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Rizer
Registered dissident

Another win today in 12 innings and the Dodgers are now sitting at 10-10.

The owner thing is going to be the focus for a while now, I think. Although if the owner took a loan out 'for the team' and then put it in his personal account and none of the funds reached the team isn't that a crime? Pretty sure that embezzlement and pretty damn illegal.

Old
04-21-2011, 09:41 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
Not anymore. 29,000 at last nights game announced. Probably ~20,000 actually there. In the paper today they said the Dodgers only sold 17,000 season tickets this season, down over 10,000 from a couple years ago. They also said the Angels will probably outdraw the Dodgers for the first time in franchise history.
This was the goal of the boycott. Whoever buys the team knows that if they run it right, this is a perennial top 3 in attendance franchise.

Old
04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
KillerKampfer*

Quote:
This was the goal of the boycott. Whoever buys the team knows that if they run it right, this is a perennial top 3 in attendance franchise.
Yup. Theyll get at least two in the 400s from me next year now those jerks are gone.

MLB has been behaving peculiarly with transitioning ownership though I don't expect new official owners until the offseason. Could be completely wrong but I doubt someone gets the team soon. I think they know the people will money are being cheap and the biggest offers will come from those with questionable funds.

If the Angels outdraw the Dodgers this year it will be the one and only time it ever happens.

Pujols in between Kemp and Either will win LA a world series.

KillerKampfer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2011, 01:00 AM
Quattro

Quote:
lol - what boycott?

Old
04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Orenji

Dodgers should be doing everything in their power to persuade Mark Cuban to buy them.

With his money and the Dodgers namesake, they would a dominant force. It's not even like the Dodgers have that bad of a team right now. Kemp and Ethier are both all stars, and Kershaw/Billingsley are two guys who could be dynamite with a potent offense behind them. With money, the Dodgers could go out and actually put people around those guys to compete.

We were basically broke ever since McCourt came, but we've still made the playoffs four out of the seven times and almost made the World Series twice if it wasn't for Broxton and Matt Stairs.

ESPN had a poll to who was the 2nd most historic franchise behind the Yankees, and the Dodgers came only behind the Red Sox. The Dodgers being good is good for baseball. A great Dodger team is great for the MLB. After the Phillies, the Dodgers are still the second or third most marketable team in the NL with the Giants.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Rizer
Registered dissident

The story here is a bit older, but I missed it when it came out.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodg...ow-reward.html

Quote:
Longtime radio host Tom Leykis said Thursday he was pledging $50,000 toward the reward for information on the suspects who attacked a San Francisco Giants fan in a Dodger Stadium parking lot last week.

Leykis' pledge increases the reward fund to at least $150,000, including $50,000 offered by the Los Angeles City Council and $25,000 by the Dodgers. Bryan Stow, the fan whose skull was fractured in the beating, remains in critical condition at Los Angeles County-USC Medical Center.

In a telephone interview, Leykis called the incident "heartbreaking" and said he was "shocked" that the Dodgers offered $25,000, given that court papers filed in the divorce of Frank and Jamie McCourt showed the couple took $108 million in personal distributions from Dodgers revenues from 2004 to 2009.

"I want to offer double what the Dodgers are offering," Leykis said.

Leykis, who lives in Hollywood, said he has not attended a game at Dodger Stadium since the 2009 National League championship series, when he said he was "harassed by two drunks for eight innings, yelling obscenities about me and my show." He said security officials responded when he called them but "did absolutely nothing."
I've always liked Tom. I've listened to this show for years and he is very passionate about sports, so to see him personally give 50 grand to the reward fun is really cool.

Old
04-26-2011, 10:28 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
lol - what boycott?
Attendance really dwindled in the 2nd half last year, and save for opening day, has been average at best this year.