HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

What's Lombardi doing right now?

Old
04-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Capn Brown

vCash: 500
What's Lombardi doing right now?

Call me crazy, but I really expected to see long or medium-term deals for both Doughty & Simmonds announced in March. But now we're into April, and still no deals. What gives?

Capn Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Just because YOU expected it doesn't mean Lombardi did.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Shellz

Drinking coffee.

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I expect them in June after the Kings win the Stanley Cup and Simmonds and Doughty (the ambiguously straight duo) share the Conn Smythe Trophy for their performances.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
johnjm22

Is this a criticism? If so, it's unwarranted.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Probably gloating in his office that he's the GM and not that bum Mike Murphy

driller1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:57 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

Watching My Little Pony on Youtube.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Massaging Kopitar's ankle with one hand and William's shoulder with the other while sitting buddha style praying Schenn gets knocked from the WHL playoffs.

As for the contracts, if one side doesn't want to sign, can't get a deal done. There's no word that it's a hold up from either DL or from Wayne or Drew, so not sure who, if anyone, is stalling. I did think Simmonds would be siged by now, but I wonder if Drew is waiting to see what Stamkos gets. I could see him wanting more money than Stamkos actually (not saying he's worth it). Good first year, exceptional second year, up and down third years, both the top two picks in 2008. Personally I think DL is pushing for a two year deal and Drew wants four to 10 years.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
Is this a criticism? If so, it's unwarranted.

Look, Quick & Kopitar got their respective extensions mid-way through the applicable NHL season. Now the season is almost over, and DL has at least 6 guys to sign: Doughty, Simmonds, Moller, Martinez, Lewis, & Richardson.

What's DL's plan ....wait 'til the last minute? The longer this drags out, the more I tend to think of what happened in Chicago a few years back, with that group of guys getting over-payed as a result of procrastination. I just don't want that to happen, that's all.

Old
04-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Look, Quick & Kopitar got their respective extensions mid-way through the applicable NHL season. Now the season is almost over, and DL has at least 6 guys to sign: Doughty, Simmonds, Moller, Martinez, Lewis, & Richardson.

What's DL's plan ....wait 'til the last minute? The longer this drags out, the more I tend to think of what happened in Chicago a few years back, with that group of guys getting over-payed as a result of procrastination. I just don't want that to happen, that's all.
Maybe he should put a gun to their respective heads and make them sign on his terms...

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:

Didn't the Hawks have to pay those guys a ton because they didn't get the paperwork in correctly?

What last minute? We're in April. There are 3 months to go before free agency even starts. Then, there is an entire summer before camp starts. If we get to camp and Doughty isn't signed yet, then that's something. Until then, I'm not sure there's enough to get worried about.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:

All of those guys you mentioned are RFA's not UFA's. If, DL wants these guys to be Kings next season..they will be. End of discussion.

Kingz4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:36 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Didn't the Hawks have to pay those guys a ton because they didn't get the paperwork in correctly?

What last minute? We're in April. There are 3 months to go before free agency even starts. Then, there is an entire summer before camp starts. If we get to camp and Doughty isn't signed yet, then that's something. Until then, I'm not sure there's enough to get worried about.
Exactly, and also the fact that with all of those guys listed all the Kings have to do is submit qualifying offers and then he has all summer to get the contract terms worked out...

tigermask48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:

Chicago didn't fax the qualifying offers to the league for their RFAs and they were all declared UFAs.

Dean will send his qualifying offers to the league and he will have plenty of time to get the deals done.

Most players want to wait until the season ends to get a deal signed. Some don't want contract talks to occur during the season. At this time, no one knows who is waiting to get a deal done.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:10 PM
OK Computer

Hopefully working on a heavily discounted contracts for both of them after underwhelming seasons.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:23 PM
winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsholygrail View Post
Watching My Little Pony on Youtube.

Dean too, who wudda thunk?

Last edited by winning: 04-04-2011 at 12:38 PM.
winning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:35 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Designing new jerseys?

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
YEAH, WTF . . WHY ISN'T DEAN GIVING US DAILY UPDATES ABOUT CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS . . . .

If you couldn't tell, I'm being sarcastic

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Duc620

Quote:
Call me crazy, but I really expected to see long or medium-term deals for both Doughty & Simmonds announced in March. But now we're into April, and still no deals. What gives?
Hey, crazy! How ya been!

If Lombardi can't get a deal done around the trade deadline then it's more likely it will be after playoffs. Fewer distractions, no?

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc620 View Post
Hey, crazy! How ya been!

If Lombardi can't get a deal done around the trade deadline then it's more likely it will be after playoffs. Fewer distractions, no?

LoL, no! In fact, there will be more distractions. After playoffs there's the draft and after the draft there's the free agency period.

It's just better to take care of extending 1/3 of the team now, rather than have Dean juggle those six players (plus Harrold, if at all) in his head while the draft & free agency are going on, that's all.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
We need the players focused on games. On x's and o's. Not 2's and 3's. If you think Dean can't juggle all these players then you must not think he's a very good GM either. Every GM has to do it.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:05 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by OK Computer View Post
Hopefully working on a heavily discounted contracts for both of them after underwhelming seasons.
We have a winner!

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
If you think Dean can't juggle all these players then you must not think he's a very good GM either.

That's almost like saying "if a global moderator makes an assumption and that assumption turns out to be false, that guy probably doesn't deserve to be a global moderator".

Gobal Moderator, your assumption is false.

In fact, Dean's the best GM this team has had since I've been a fan (1986). But in this instance, I believe Dean's making a mistake. That is all.

Old
04-04-2011, 02:09 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Quote:
That's almost like saying "if a global moderator makes an assumption and that assumption turns out to be false, that guy probably doesn't deserve to be a global moderator".

Gobal Moderator, your assumption is false.

In fact, Dean's the best GM this team has had since I've been a fan (1986). But in this instance, I believe Dean's making a mistake. That is all.

Well, it's difficult to do all these things. For all we know, he's approached their agents and they've said their players have no interest in talking about this until the summer. To me it just seems to be easier this way.

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Surprised nobody has said this yet, but he's probably working out a contract so Toffoli can join the Monarchs (like Hammond mentioned)

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote