HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Edmonton - Calgary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2011, 09:41 AM
  #1
Roof Daddy
Registered User
 
Roof Daddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,446
vCash: 500
Edmonton - Calgary

OK, not likely these teams trade with eachother, but here goes...

To EDM: J-Bo

To CGY: Gilbert

Both are overpaid, J-Bo more so IMO. Calgary has very little flexibility cap-wise heading into the off-season with some obvious holes to fill (a legit #1 C for Iggy). Edmonton's D needs some help, and salaries aside, J-Bo is an upgrade on Gilbert.

Both have the same term (contracts expire after 13/14 season). J-Bo's hit is 6.68mil, Gilbert 4mil.

Is 2.68mil in cap savings long-term worth a bit of a downgrade at D for the Flames? Is the increased money for an upgrade worth it for Edmonton?

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:58 AM
  #2
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,385
vCash: 500
I can't see them moving Bouwmeester. They traded Phanuef for spare parts because of JBo's arrival and Giordano stepping up, they can't just go out and trade him now.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
  #3
Ellipson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 231
vCash: 500
If that's as low as the price would be, I can imagine a lot of teams with cap space would be willing to put up a better trade than that. J-Bo hasn't totally impressed, but everyone knows what he can do in the right situation.

Colorado could eat that contract easily and wouldn't have to send as much salary back, for starters. I could see Columbus putting together a better package than just Gilbert as well for him.

Ellipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:15 AM
  #4
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cochrane
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 1127
A bit of a downgrade? Don't make me laugh. Bouwmeester plays 25 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey, and even though it doesn't show often on the stats, he helps our puck transition from our own zone a ton.

Bouwmeester is a 4.5-5 million guy earning 6.68. Gilbert is a 1.5-2 million guy earning 4. This thread is a ****ing joke. You don't downgrade from a top pairing guy to a borderline second pairing guy simply to save 2.6 million.

Remember guys, this sort of trade is why Sutter is a ****tard.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
  #5
thalegion
Registered User
 
thalegion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,103
vCash: 500
Ooooohhh, I like J-Bo since we played together as children, but that increase in dollar dollar bills doesn't justify the skill difference between him and Gilly.

thalegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:48 PM
  #6
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
If Calgary were interested in Gilbert and Edmonton were willing to trade Gilbert to Calgary I could see Edmonton being willing to throw in Pitlick or Hamilton and their 2011 2nd rounder.

If Calgary's Blueline could afford to lose J-Bo's skill they'd get some much needed cap space.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton would be willing to offer up a package like that. How much did Edmonton want Reden before he flopped? J-Bo is a better defenseman. He's proven that by playing well with a lot less talent around him. If a deal like this was done before their 1st round pick was taken, they'd without a doubt be grabbing a center. Edmonton's only real problem is that they'd probably want to hang onto Whitney and with Whitey and J-bo they wouldn't have a shooter playing D. Would still be great for Edmonton, though.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:50 PM
  #7
oilers92
Registered User
 
oilers92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
A bit of a downgrade? Don't make me laugh. Bouwmeester plays 25 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey, and even though it doesn't show often on the stats, he helps our puck transition from our own zone a ton.

Bouwmeester is a 4.5-5 million guy earning 6.68.Gilbert is a 1.5-2 million guy earning 4.This thread is a ****ing joke. You don't downgrade from a top pairing guy to a borderline second pairing guy simply to save 2.6 million.

Remember guys, this sort of trade is why Sutter is a ****tard.
are you ****ing stupid how many 2nd pairing d-men in this league are paid 1.5mill, yes gilbert is over payed but really saying Gilbert is worth 1.5 mill is rediculous hes stepped up big time this season defensivly and in the past has put up some good numbers

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
  #8
StreakingRed
#unsustainable
 
StreakingRed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 11,575
vCash: 500
No thanks.

I'd rather keep Bouwmeester.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:47 PM
  #9
monkeywrench
Registered User
 
monkeywrench's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 877
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
A bit of a downgrade? Don't make me laugh. Bouwmeester plays 25 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey, and even though it doesn't show often on the stats, he helps our puck transition from our own zone a ton.

Bouwmeester is a 4.5-5 million guy earning 6.68. Gilbert is a 1.5-2 million guy earning 4. This thread is a ****ing joke. You don't downgrade from a top pairing guy to a borderline second pairing guy simply to save 2.6 million.

Remember guys, this sort of trade is why Sutter is a ****tard.
You must not watch much hockey, or just a huge homer.
Gilbert Is one of the leaders for block shots in the NHL, he has been more solid as the year goes on. He is not a borderline 2nd pair dman

monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:13 PM
  #10
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne
 
Oberyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Calgary were interested in Gilbert and Edmonton were willing to trade Gilbert to Calgary I could see Edmonton being willing to throw in Pitlick or Hamilton and their 2011 2nd rounder.

If Calgary's Blueline could afford to lose J-Bo's skill they'd get some much needed cap space.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton would be willing to offer up a package like that. How much did Edmonton want Reden before he flopped? J-Bo is a better defenseman. He's proven that by playing well with a lot less talent around him. If a deal like this was done before their 1st round pick was taken, they'd without a doubt be grabbing a center. Edmonton's only real problem is that they'd probably want to hang onto Whitney and with Whitey and J-bo they wouldn't have a shooter playing D. Would still be great for Edmonton, though.
Pitlick/Hamilton AND a 2011 2nd rounder which projects to be 31st overall? No chance Edmonton does that, I've watched Flames play numerous times this season and J-Bo hasn't impressed me in the least bit. To be honest I'd rather have Gilbert on my team, granted he does give the puck away, but he's stepped up huge since Whitney got injured. Plus, he's 10th in the league in blocked shots. J-Bo is 48th.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:18 PM
  #11
Trollmark*
 
Trollmark*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,990
vCash: 500
Do not want Redden 2.0.

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:21 PM
  #12
Guelkey
Registered User
 
Guelkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
A bit of a downgrade? Don't make me laugh. Bouwmeester plays 25 minutes a night of solid defensive hockey, and even though it doesn't show often on the stats, he helps our puck transition from our own zone a ton.

Bouwmeester is a 4.5-5 million guy earning 6.68. Gilbert is a 1.5-2 million guy earning 4. This thread is a ****ing joke. You don't downgrade from a top pairing guy to a borderline second pairing guy simply to save 2.6 million.

Remember guys, this sort of trade is why Sutter is a ****tard.


The guy plays 20+ mins a night.. played very well when whitney wasn't hurt and has potential to put up on average 35+ points a year. That there is worth more then 2 mill a year just saying...

That being said he is not worth 4, as he has some defensive problems in my opinion.

Guelkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:27 PM
  #13
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
As good as Bouwmeester is defensively I wouldn't do this from an Oilers standpoint. They have a young team and I think they are at least two years away from making the playoffs and atleast four or five away from making noise at that point. Bouwmeester will be 29-30 by the time he would make the playoffs if he were to be traded to the Oilers.. the only previous playoff experience post-rookie season WHL was 18 games in 04-05 with the AHL. I just don't think he has the playoff experience, the play style, or the drive to make a great playoff player and his cap hit would outweigh the impact he has. I watched the press conference where it was announced he signed with Calgary.. looked terrified.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:30 PM
  #14
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: EVIL EMPIRE
Country: United Nations
Posts: 60,537
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
OK, not likely these teams trade with eachother, but here goes...

To EDM: J-Bo

To CGY: Gilbert

Both are overpaid, J-Bo more so IMO. Calgary has very little flexibility cap-wise heading into the off-season with some obvious holes to fill (a legit #1 C for Iggy). Edmonton's D needs some help, and salaries aside, J-Bo is an upgrade on Gilbert.

Both have the same term (contracts expire after 13/14 season). J-Bo's hit is 6.68mil, Gilbert 4mil.

Is 2.68mil in cap savings long-term worth a bit of a downgrade at D for the Flames? Is the increased money for an upgrade worth it for Edmonton?
why the heck would the flames do this deal?

__________________
"If the Detroit Red Wings are defying gravity" by consistently contending without the benefit of high draft picks, "the Edmonton Oilers are defying lift.

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:34 PM
  #15
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
If Calgary were interested in Gilbert and Edmonton were willing to trade Gilbert to Calgary I could see Edmonton being willing to throw in Pitlick or Hamilton and their 2011 2nd rounder.

If Calgary's Blueline could afford to lose J-Bo's skill they'd get some much needed cap space.

I'm pretty sure Edmonton would be willing to offer up a package like that. How much did Edmonton want Reden before he flopped? J-Bo is a better defenseman. He's proven that by playing well with a lot less talent around him. If a deal like this was done before their 1st round pick was taken, they'd without a doubt be grabbing a center. Edmonton's only real problem is that they'd probably want to hang onto Whitney and with Whitey and J-bo they wouldn't have a shooter playing D. Would still be great for Edmonton, though.
Are you on drugs we are not going to throw in Pitlick or Hamilton and then add a 2nd in that. Pitlick and Hamilton are part of our rebuild, the only type of GM that makes a deal like that is one like Sutter and where is he know. We are going to do a proper rebuild and don't want a big contract like Bo's, not even for Gilbert. You guys can keep him.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:58 PM
  #16
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cochrane
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guelkey View Post


The guy plays 20+ mins a night.. played very well when whitney wasn't hurt and has potential to put up on average 35+ points a year. That there is worth more then 2 mill a year just saying...

That being said he is not worth 4, as he has some defensive problems in my opinion.
He plays that many minutes on the dead last place team in the NHL. Two years running. Coincidence?

Perhaps I was being overzealous in saying he's not a second pairing guy, or that he's worth 2 million, but for ****s sake, people on this board are obsessed with cap space. If the Flames need 2.67 million in cap, we'll just bury Kotalik in the minors. We're already doing it, we can do it again next season. We aren't downgrading from Bouwmeester to Gilbert to do it.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:02 PM
  #17
oilers92
Registered User
 
oilers92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
He plays that many minutes on the dead last place team in the NHL. Two years running. Coincidence?

Perhaps I was being overzealous in saying he's not a second pairing guy, or that he's worth 2 million, but for ****s sake, people on this board are obsessed with cap space. If the Flames need 2.67 million in cap, we'll just bury Kotalik in the minors. We're already doing it, we can do it again next season. We aren't downgrading from Bouwmeester to Gilbert to do it.
bouwmeester missing the playoffs again coincidence

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
  #18
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
 
Richiebottles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 13,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Woah like the OP said these are not good trading partners.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:34 PM
  #19
Skobel24
#Ignited
 
Skobel24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,306
vCash: 50
Ill keep jaybo, thanks anyways.

Skobel24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:05 PM
  #20
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacheesh View Post
Pitlick/Hamilton AND a 2011 2nd rounder which projects to be 31st overall? No chance Edmonton does that, I've watched Flames play numerous times this season and J-Bo hasn't impressed me in the least bit. To be honest I'd rather have Gilbert on my team, granted he does give the puck away, but he's stepped up huge since Whitney got injured. Plus, he's 10th in the league in blocked shots. J-Bo is 48th.
Is blocked shots the only significant stats for defenders? J-Bo is big, stays healthy and plays very good 2-way hockey while playing tons of minutes. The knock on him is that he's comparable to Joe Thorton. He doesn't ever turn things up for the big games. Edmonton doesn't have a d-man nearly as good as J-Bo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Are you on drugs we are not going to throw in Pitlick or Hamilton and then add a 2nd in that. Pitlick and Hamilton are part of our rebuild, the only type of GM that makes a deal like that is one like Sutter and where is he know. We are going to do a proper rebuild and don't want a big contract like Bo's, not even for Gilbert. You guys can keep him.
Lucky you're not me. I'd be given an infraction if I said something like that. Regardless... Edmonton has a big decision to make at the upcoming draft.

What's the change that we're going to get a top 5 pick three years in a row? Seriously?

If Edmonton picks a center with the first overall pick you'd think that they'd do something to address problems having to do with their blueline. There are a fair number of decent top 4 defenders set to become free agents after the regular season and probably not enough teams who either have enough cap space to sign them or are willing to spend the money to sign them.

J-Bo isn't a realistic option for Edmonton, but for the quality of player J-Bo is, Edmonton would be making a deal similar to this one. A quantity for quality deal in which Edmonton takes on some salary.

If Calgary isn't welcome to the idea of J-Bo going to Edmonton, maybe we should start talking about what it would take to get Pronger back in Edmonton. I hear Philly is going to be in cap hell in the off-season unless they unload some key players.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:24 PM
  #21
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
Remember guys, this sort of trade is why Sutter is a ****tard.
I'm pretty sure Sutter is gone now....

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
  #22
tempest2i
You and Whose Army?
 
tempest2i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Cowtown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Is blocked shots the only significant stats for defenders? J-Bo is big, stays healthy and plays very good 2-way hockey while playing tons of minutes. The knock on him is that he's comparable to Joe Thorton. He doesn't ever turn things up for the big games. Edmonton doesn't have a d-man nearly as good as J-Bo.
It's easier to stay healthy when you play as soft as J-Bo does.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:36 PM
  #23
OilerTyler
Fire MacT!
 
OilerTyler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,662
vCash: 50
No thank you. I wouldn't touch J-Bo's contract with a ten foot long pole. Gilbert is having a terrible year, but that is only because he is a second pairing defenceman being forced to play on the top pairing of the worst team in the league. Get some respectable defenders on the roster for him to play with/behind, and he will start to look a lot better.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:48 PM
  #24
Flames Fanatic
Unclenched
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cochrane
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,828
vCash: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'm pretty sure Sutter is gone now....
Which as a result is why it won't happen again.

Better not anyways.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:04 AM
  #25
thadd
Oil4Life
 
thadd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: China
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,891
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
It's easier to stay healthy when you play as soft as J-Bo does.
A good number of injuries have little to do with phyiscal contact.

If I recall correctly, Bure blew his legs out all on his own.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.