HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Draft Talk V2.0

Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Protest the Hero

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
My Analysis from Tonight's game between Owen Sound and Saint-John

Huberdeau: He was really strong along the boards, he won't shy from physical play but rarely is the agressor. What a shot to end the game. Nice pass to Kirkpatrick in the OT.

Phillips: He really is the guy that gets his line going. While Jurco has more talent, phillips works harder. He's always well positionned. He needs to shoot more though. He's not overly fast, but he isn't slow either. He will need to improve his skating or maybe it's because of his injury. Extremely good vision(nice pass to kirkpatrick on the PP) that might prevent him from scoring more goals.

Jurco: Skill, speed, soft hands(he's too fancy for me though). I haven't watched him that much this year but his physical play impressed me. He gained a few spots tonight with a great game.

Beaulieu: Him and Després were flawless tonight. With his reach and his speed he recovers his errors. He's physical and loves to rush with the puck. He's got a pretty good one-timer too. If he's on the board at 17, I want Timmins to grab him.

I would also like to point out the youngster Jamel Smith from Owen Sound, tremendous speed, good hands, almost won the game for the Attack, he will be a stud.
Phillips didn't impress me very much last night. Made a couple nice passes, but I didn't really see him getting involved in the board battles. I agree with you on his skating, but maybe I was just expecting more from him because he's been mentioned a lot as a guy Montreal should target.

Jurco's skills with the puck were awesome, that saucer pass was absolute perfection, but I don't know how much that deking stuff can translate to the NHL. He's got good size too, but he put up less goals than Phillips this year.

I'd love Montreal to take a chance on a top 6 or nothing type player in the first round, we haven't really taken a guy like that since Kostistyn. It's been defensemen or 'safe' picks, guys who have second line but might end up on the third line.

I don't know if Jurco is that guy, ideally I'd like a guy like Skinner. Someone who just knows how to score all the time.

I also agree with you on Beaulieu, he looked great and I wouldn't hesitate to grab him but I think he's rated much higher than 17th. Another guy I was impressed with was Gelinas, drafted in the second round last year.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
I'd take him before Scheifele and McNeil personnally
I find those guys are bigger and more complete, they have other dimensions to their game, Puempel is seemingly only a scorer.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
couris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I find those guys are bigger and more complete, they have other dimensions to their game, Puempel is seemingly only a scorer.
We could use a guy that can score goals in the first round...

Old
05-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Habitats View Post
Phillips didn't impress me very much last night. Made a couple nice passes, but I didn't really see him getting involved in the board battles. I agree with you on his skating, but maybe I was just expecting more from him because he's been mentioned a lot as a guy Montreal should target.

Jurco's skills with the puck were awesome, that saucer pass was absolute perfection, but I don't know how much that deking stuff can translate to the NHL. He's got good size too, but he put up less goals than Phillips this year.

I'd love Montreal to take a chance on a top 6 or nothing type player in the first round, we haven't really taken a guy like that since Kostistyn. It's been defensemen or 'safe' picks, guys who have second line but might end up on the third line.

I don't know if Jurco is that guy, ideally I'd like a guy like Skinner. Someone who just knows how to score all the time.

I also agree with you on Beaulieu, he looked great and I wouldn't hesitate to grab him but I think he's rated much higher than 17th. Another guy I was impressed with was Gelinas, drafted in the second round last year.
Phillips is a guy I could see struggling to make the jump from AHL to NHL after lighting it up in junior. I think he could be a Corey Locke, Darren Haydar, Yannick Lehoux or Alexandre Giroux type guy. He has hurt his stock this week, but he is playing a bit hurt, I could see him dropping to the 40-45 range.

Jurco had a real strong game last night, sweet pass to Galiev and he played physical. If he keeps up the strong play on the big stage like Biddington he could move up to mid 1st round. Most have him 23-30 and Red Line has him at #38.

Beaulieu has really helped his stock this week, if he is there at 17 he'd be hard to pass up. Not only is he big mobile and skilled but he is pretty good defensively also. I think if he keeps it up, he'll go #9-#14 or therebouts.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
We could use a guy that can score goals in the first round...
We could use even more guys with size and skill up the middle(Scheifele or McNeill). We have no shortage of scoring wingers...

Old
05-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Richiebottles
Someone on the Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We could use even more guys with size and skill up the middle(Scheifele or McNeill). We have no shortage of scoring wingers...
We are already overflowing with prospects up the middle . Our wing is pretty bare.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
We are already overflowing with prospects up the middle . Our wing is pretty bare.
Quantity doesn't equal quality, and we don't have any center prospect who have 1st line potential. If Sheifele is still there when we pick, we should grab him (McNeil probably won't anyway), but I'd really Jensen myself...

Old
05-24-2011, 12:08 PM
VanNistelrooy

Honstly, after what I've seen last night, and basing on the opinion of the posters here that thinks that we don't take enough risks, I would draft Tomas Jurco. I have rarely seen a guy with so much puck skills and speed. He's been on threat on ice all night long and could be a real talent guy like the Habs lacks.

Old
05-24-2011, 12:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I consider Eller and Desharnais to have graduated to the NHL, so the Habs prospect depth at center goes:
1. Leblanc
2. Engqvist
3. ???????

Right wing is the deepest position in the Habs prospect depth. There is basically nothing on left wing though. However that is a deep position for the main club with Cammaleri, Kostitsyn, Pacioretty, Pouliot and Pyatt making a young and relatively talented group.

Really at this point there isn't a positional need within the system. The prospect system is weak in goal but with Price that shouldn't be a priority. There aren't many defensemen or center prospects because the cream of the crop has graduated to the NHL. The NHL team is shallow on right wing but the system is deep there and deep in NHL leftwingers but shallow in prospect leftwing. With the organization balanced positionally and relatively deep in NHL players, the thing will be to draft players that have the best chance of being above average NHLers.

Besides, anyone drafted at 17 is going to be at least 4-5 years from being effective at the NHL level so needs will change.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Other than Eller, we don't have another potential top 6 center. LeBlanc will be a RW in the pros, his game translates better to the wing. Desharnais will be a 3rd line C/W, if he develos into something more, it's a bonus but it would be foolish to plan on it. Gallagher Kristo MacMillan Quailer Avtsin Palushaj are all wingers...Engqvist and Nattinen are more 3rd line types.

Old
05-24-2011, 01:48 PM
larrypacman8167

[QUOTE=I don't know if Jurco is that guy, ideally I'd like a guy like Skinner. Someone who just knows how to score all the time.[/QUOTE]

grimaldi.............

Old
05-24-2011, 04:09 PM
S Bah

With about one month until the draft Gauthier has lots of options open and 17th overall won't make a difference this season.BPA comes to mind and watching the process the Oilers went through to pick between Hall and Seguin,our scouts must be having many sleepless nights heading into this draft.Probably made easier with the signings of Berger,Diaz and Leblanc.If Boyd and Dawes leave there will be plenty of competition for jobs in Hamilton,Naatinen signing could be a priority now.Any CHL draft pick can't play there for two years,Marek Hrivnik will be 20 this summer and could be a possibility in later rounds.Other than that the Habs are picking for the future(3-4 years) so it could be any position,hard call.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:22 PM
VanNistelrooy

Jurco scores again... I really have a strong feeling about this kid.

Old
05-24-2011, 08:30 PM
le_sean

Yeah this Jurco kid is really something. How was his effort throughout the season?

The lack of offensive progression from the previous season to this one, and the lack of PIMs is a bit worrying to me.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:01 PM
FF de Mars

BPA people !

Old
05-24-2011, 09:04 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrypacman8167 View Post
grimaldi.............
Agreed, if we're looking for the most talented player at our spot, Grimaldi might be the guy.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:12 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Agreed, if we're looking for the most talented player at our spot, Grimaldi might be the guy.
I'm not so much turned off by his size as where he's from. I'm really not sold on USNDTP players. As a numbers guy they don't give me the kind of information I'd need to be confortable that these guys are the real deal. Other USHL players at least play in a regular club role so their progression is easier to track and compare with benchmarks.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I'm not so much turned off by his size as where he's from. I'm really not sold on USNDTP players. As a numbers guy they don't give me the kind of information I'd need to be confortable that these guys are the real deal. Other USHL players at least play in a regular club role so their progression is easier to track and compare with benchmarks.
That's why scouts get paid to watch these kids. What scouts see in terms of skill and upside is more important than stats and benchmarks.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:36 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He was a PPG in their games against college teams. That's pretty impressive to me. Means he could play against bigger, older players.

Old
05-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Jurco yet with another goal... yeah, he turned it on !

Old
05-24-2011, 09:46 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
We passed on Schroder before, so we'll probably pass on Grimaldi.

Old
05-24-2011, 10:00 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
We passed on Schroder before, so we'll probably pass on Grimaldi.
We passed on Schroeder for Leblanc. But Schroeder was really high on the habs draft list (as seen on RDS).
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=655438
14th to be exact

Old
05-24-2011, 11:16 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Jurco yet with another goal... yeah, he turned it on !
That was one crazy goal right there. Phillips throw the puck right on Jurco head who's standing in front of the goaltender and puck goes high in the air and end up in the net. i laugh for a good 5 minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Yeah this Jurco kid is really something. How was his effort throughout the season?

The lack of offensive progression from the previous season to this one, and the lack of PIMs is a bit worrying to me.
Up and down all year. had issue making thing happen 5 on 5. i think his circus act and youtube fame might have distract him from just being a "normal" hockey player. But now he's playing like the Jurco i loooove from last year. playing like the game breaker he could be. Consistency is a big issue with him.

i don't understand your lack of pim comment ?

Old
05-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldraftvideo View Post
That was one crazy goal right there. Phillips throw the puck right on Jurco head who's standing in front of the goaltender and puck goes high in the air and end up in the net. i laugh for a good 5 minutes

Up and down all year. had issue making thing happen 5 on 5. i think his circus act and youtube fame might have distract him from just being a "normal" hockey player. But now he's playing like the Jurco i loooove from last year. playing like the game breaker he could be. Consistency is a big issue with him.

i don't understand your lack of pim comment ?
I think people generally equate PIMs with toughness. Therefore the fact that he doesn't have many PIMs means he isn't getting involved in the play I guess.

We lack a game breaking scorer in our prospect pool imo(Gallagher does it with hard work as opposed to pure skill), but like I said before, being a really good stick handler and creative shootout taker doesn't always mean scoring prowess.

Phillips outscored him too but he hasn't impressed me. Actually he really reminds me of Palushaj when I watch him.

Here are some fun Jurco videos to watch on this page: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2011/NHL-D...es/Tomas-Jurco

Old
05-25-2011, 12:06 AM
parachutist

One guy I'd love to draft is Brett Ritchie. Unfortunately, we won't be able to get him unless we find a way to grab a 2nd round pick. He'll probably go early in the 2nd too.

6'3 power forward who's really strong along the boards and really came along in the 2nd half of the season at a point per game clip (started the season slowly and I think he had mononucleosis). I think he'll have a monster season with Sarnia next season.

Closed Thread