HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Old
04-03-2011, 10:31 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

vCash: 500
Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

I'd say he definitely deserves it.

20 goals and 42 points thus far this season, and he's got 3 more games to build on those numbers. He's also arguably been our hottest and most consistent performer since Sid and Geno went down. For a while now many of us wondered if TK truly had the ability to be a top sixer at this level. We've always seen flashes and glimpses of the kind of player he COULD be. I think this season he has proven first hand that he can definitely be the real deal if given ample opportunity.

Here's to hoping that DB rewards TK's progression by giving him a full-time job on the top 6 next season...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Pfft...no spot for him on the team. Dime-a-dozen checking line player.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Black Label

Black Label is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:45 AM
Shrimper
WinItFor#58

vCash: 50
He's been doing great this season, got his 20th against Florida I believe. He's been a great help to the likes of Staal and Jeffrey as he's taken some of the expectations and pressure of their backs. If he can continue this into the play-offs then I'd be delighted for him and look to offer him a new contract as I feel that he has deserved it.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
FDBluth

He's shown what he can do when given a bigger offensive role. Many people expected this from him as well.

****ing Dupuis.

FDBluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:12 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Nice to see the little guy step up and show what he can do.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:11 PM
SEALBound

We need to find a way to resign him...whatever it may be. We always talk about prospect development...well I say he's coming along nicely and will continue to improve.

He knew he was on the block, he stepped it up. Sid and Geno go down, he stepped it up. We need guys like that. That drive and ability to step up is not something thats easily replaceable.

SEALBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

He's the only forward that's played with no excuses. Glad he stepped up. It will be interesting to see what he does next year.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Waldorf-Statler

This is more like it.

I'll admit I gave him a rough time, but like other players who wasn't stepping up to the plate, he deserved the criticism at the time.

Well deserved props for turning this season into a big positive for himself and the team.

Ugene Malkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

He always plays with max effort and is becoming one of my favorites to watch.
Big asset to the team this year.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:30 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

He's always had the skill set with his puck control and shot...I still question his IQ though. I dunno if he would mesh well with sid or Geno because of it. He is generally selfish and passes up better opportunities

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:33 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnMyOwn View Post
He's always had the skill set with his puck control and shot...I still question his IQ though. I dunno if he would mesh well with sid or Geno because of it. He is generally selfish and passes up better opportunities
Not really but anyways. I think he's improved this year to a degree. At least he's playing well enough now to actually deserve that shot in the top 6 to see if he's a good fit. Before it was just blue collar underdog homerism, and the reality was the reasons you stated.

Old
04-03-2011, 12:36 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Its not a bad thing to have depth scorers either. So I guess just re-sign him because he is a useful player.

OnMyOwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Not really but anyways. I think he's improved this year to a degree. At least he's playing well enough now to actually deserve that shot in the top 6 to see if he's a good fit. Before it was just blue collar underdog homerism, and the reality was the reasons you stated.
UB, it was shown to you before the season started that TK had done very well with his opportunities, and that the only reason guys like Guerin were outproducing him were that they were given prime minutes and opportunity.

Funnily enough, TK's points/60 minutes are actually lower this year than last:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...8+17+18+19+20#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+8+17+18+19+20

Old
04-03-2011, 12:53 PM
cheebatree

TK has pretty much proven himself to me. I was on the fence with him for a while , but with his recent increased minutes and hard work, he's earned himself a top six spot. Now being on a line with Kunitz, has also helped him.

cheebatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:00 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
UB, it was shown to you before the season started that TK had done very well with his opportunities, and that the only reason guys like Guerin were outproducing him were that they were given prime minutes and opportunity.

Funnily enough, TK's points/60 minutes are actually lower this year than last:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...8+17+18+19+20#

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...+8+17+18+19+20
I think he's a pretty good contributor and he was underpaid even before this year. How good is the question. As always we'll see if he makes the right decisions and can give the puck back to someone after they give it to him. He won't be any worse than some of the other RWs we had that's for sure. He was always just a little too straight line for me, but he's improved on that this year.

The only thing I'll say is if we're being completely fair here there are a lot of guys on other teams who we deem "only gets their stats because of too much ice time". Is that the case with Kennedy? I don't think so, but it's a little bit of that and natural progression.

At the end of the day especially with the crap depth we have at RW he needs to be tried on a top line. Especially since, as I mentioned before, he's the only forward that's sucked it up and stepped up to replace some scoring we lost.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:01 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

People should have known TK could definitely hit 20 goals. If you look at his last 20 games in 09 down the stretch, him and Staal were fantastic. I believe both had 18 points each in that 20 game span.. I'm a proud TK backer.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:03 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Heck of a season for TK.

I'd like to see him on Sid's like with Kunitz next season. I think they could work well together.

Coach John McGuirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
I think he's a pretty good contributor and he was underpaid even before this year. How good is the question. As always we'll see if he makes the right decisions and can give the puck back to someone after they give it to him. He won't be any worse than some of the other RWs we had that's for sure. He was always just a little too straight line for me, but he's improved on that this year.
I don't think TK was ever as "blinders" as people sometimes suggest. He just has a shooter's mentality, which was a rarity on this team.

Quote:
The only thing I'll say is if we're being completely fair here there are a lot of guys on other teams who we deem "only gets their stats because of too much ice time". Is that the case with Kennedy? I don't think so, but it's a little bit of that and natural progression.
I think TK's production when he was given very few quality scoring chances on a good team would suggest that's not the case.

Quote:
At the end of the day especially with the crap depth we have at RW he needs to be tried on a top line. Especially since, as I mentioned before, he's the only forward that's sucked it up and stepped up to replace some scoring we lost.
For sure. And he'll come cheaper than any other FA option with comparable scoring.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:25 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Wasn't TK a "playmaker" in Juniors?

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:31 PM
SirBrad

13 goals, 20 points in 28 games since the All-Star Break. That's a ridiculos goal scoring pace. If he gets the top 6 minutes he deserves next season, 25 goals and 50 points should be the benchmark of what he'll give you for the year.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:33 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

People **** on me earlier this year when I said it was going to take $1.8 to $2 million to sign this guy.

Well now, with the way he has produced this year, even more than I anticipated due to injury & increased ice-time, he is going to be due for a contract in the neighborhood of about $2.2 to 2.5 million if we want to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

His production & resume are superior to Clarke McArthur's stats a year ago, and he will eligable for the same or more if he goes to arbitration -- especially considering his numbers relative to ice-time & PP time -- not to mention the fact that someone will go after him with an offer sheet.

This is why I was hoping Shero signed this guy early in the season when he probably could have locked him up for under $2million on a 3 year deal. Oh well....

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:35 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
People **** on me earlier this year when I said it was going to take $1.8 to $2 million to sign this guy.

Well now, with the way he has produced this year, even more than I anticipated due to injury & increased ice-time, he is going to be due for a contract in the neighborhood of about $2.2 to 2.5 million if we want to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

His production & resume are superior to Clarke McArthur's stats a year ago, and he will eligable for the same or more if he goes to arbitration -- especially considering his numbers relative to ice-time & PP time -- not to mention the fact that someone will go after him with an offer sheet.

This is why I was hoping Shero signed this guy early in the season when he probably could have locked him up for under $2million on a 3 year deal. Oh well....
You honestly believed he was going to go on the tear he's on now that SirBrad mentioned above? Sounds like you were more lucky than accurate.

Old
04-03-2011, 01:38 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach John McGuirk View Post
Heck of a season for TK.

I'd like to see him on Sid's like with Kunitz next season. I think they could work well together.
I'VE BEEN PREACHING THIS FOR A LONG TIME NOW!

Why can't HCDB read HF!

That would make for a great line. Sid doesn't need a Neal or whatever. He's got a great compliment in Koon and needs an energy guy with skill like TFK as well.

Let Neal play with Geno

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
Crozbar

TK has been great; I think he will get signed, and he will at least be tried on one of the first two lines. My prediction ...

I still won't be sold on the guy until he shows he has what it takes to play the more complex game he will have to be ready for if he plays with Sid or Geno. Him and Staal work so well, but they play a fairly simple game, not that there's anything wrong with that per se'.

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote