HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Old
04-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
People **** on me earlier this year when I said it was going to take $1.8 to $2 million to sign this guy.

Well now, with the way he has produced this year, even more than I anticipated due to injury & increased ice-time, he is going to be due for a contract in the neighborhood of about $2.2 to 2.5 million if we want to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal.

His production & resume are superior to Clarke McArthur's stats a year ago, and he will eligable for the same or more if he goes to arbitration -- especially considering his numbers relative to ice-time & PP time -- not to mention the fact that someone will go after him with an offer sheet.

This is why I was hoping Shero signed this guy early in the season when he probably could have locked him up for under $2million on a 3 year deal. Oh well....
Keep in mind that TK's in a very good situation here, and MacArthur really wasn't. I still think he can be re-signed for 2 mil or under, barring some superstar antics in the playoffs.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:30 PM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

I am one of the biggest TK critics around here by far. And I want to see him with a long look in the T6 next season. I am hoping he becomes our pour mans St. Louis.

He seems to have built a chemistry with Kunitz. So whom ever Kunitz gets paired with at center I want TK to come with.

With another signing:
Neal - Crosby - Signing
Kunitz - Malkin - Kennedy

or

Kunitz - Crosby - Kennedy
Neal - Malkin - Signing

Without another signing:
Neal - Staal - Malkin

or

Neal - Crosby - Malkin
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy

I like how him and Kunitz have played together even when Staal is not between him, there were looks of both Jeffrey and Letestu centering them and they looks just as effective and dangerous together.

If the salary cap does not rise, or rises very little. Those last two are probably what we will see too.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:05 PM
Tweed

I'm starting to like Kennedy (again).

Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:17 PM
mpp9

Trade staal for kulemin and let Sid skate with his ideal linemates....

Kunitz-Sid-Kennedy
Neal-Malkin-Kulemin

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:44 PM
cheebatree

I think having Stall is great for depth at center and being strong down the middle, but he's also a holding us back in a way. I know its a great problem to have, and with all the injuries we had this year, who wants to give up depth? The only way to keep Stall on a top line is to either put malkin on wing w/ either Stall or Sid though, at least TK is answering some of our top line winger problems next year.

cheebatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:46 PM
cheebatree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordax View Post

how can you not love this kid

cheebatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:56 PM
66-29-33

1.8M for 3 years is what i would sign TK to.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Trade staal for kulemin and let Sid skate with his ideal linemates....

Kunitz-Sid-Kennedy
Neal-Malkin-Kulemin
I hope Shero doesn't read HF....

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
Dovahkiin
Geno! Geno! Geno!

So would he be considered our Fehr?

Dovahkiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:12 PM
SEALBound

I'm still very much convinced that we need to cut ties with some excess fat and use that and the increase in the cap to get another second line wing. I figure if we can cut $2-3 mil from the roster and the cap goes up $3mil, we'd have approx $4mil for a winger after resignings and raises. I'd give TK a touch over a mil...like Talbot...Dupuis money would be a stretch but if it came down to it I'd pull the trigger.

With that, we have

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Neal, Kennedy

to play in the top six. However, I'd like to see:

Neal - Crosby - Winger
Cooke - Malkin - UFA
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy

UFA is a Leino, Gange, etc. Winger possibilities are: Jeffery, Letestu, Tangradi, Johnson...

I like this because it creates 3 duos that are all threats. Kunitz - Staal is working well right now and they are up against the #1,#2 pairings...I think they could work well agains the #3 pairing

Dream line up:
Neal - Crosby - Jeffery
Leino - Malkin - Cooke
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Adams - Talbot - Tangradi/Johnson/Rupp

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:16 PM
66-29-33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
He does that is why Gogo was gone for Neal and Kovalev came here.

Old
04-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
He does that is why Gogo was gone for Neal and Kovalev came here.

But if this was true, we wouldn't have Niskanen and they'd have our 2nd rounder

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:55 PM
66-29-33

Quote:

But if this was true, we wouldn't have Niskanen and they'd have our 2nd rounder
HF Pens Posters: Neal for Gogo+Jeffrey

Dallas GM: Neal for Gogo+

Pens GM: You want to deal Neal+Niskanen for Gogo

Dallas GM: I want to deal Neal+Niskanen for Gogo to you

*phone rings at Bettmans moms house*

Pens GM: *has conferencecall between the 2 GM's*

Pens GM: Hello, Buttman? we have finished a trade. Dallas GM wants to trade Neal+Niskanen for Gogo to us

Dallas GM: I want to trade Neal+Niskanen for Gogo to them.

Bettman: Done, and done.

Pens GM: *snaps fingers*

Dallas GM: Huh? what? where am i? what is this? what happened?

Bettman: *Hangs up*

Pens GM: I am Yoda! *hangs up*

Dallas GM: ...

Pens Posters: ZOMG! ROFL WUT?

Dallas Fans: OMG !!!! WTF!!!!

Old
04-03-2011, 07:57 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Kulemin is on pace for a 30/30 season being the anchor on one of the best lines in the league today. Kid can play left or right wing and works his *** off every night. Ideal winger for malkin. I love staal but I just question we will end up keeping him. Just a possibility.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Dr Van Nostrand
Banned

Dr Van Nostrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:35 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
You honestly believed he was going to go on the tear he's on now that SirBrad mentioned above? Sounds like you were more lucky than accurate.
That's right. I said I believed that he has 30 goal potential (which people gave me **** for) and that he should be locked up long-term. If you care enough, I'm sure you could search it.

I said what I said because the guy is only 24 years old -- which is still long before most players reach their prime -- showed good promise, and was our best & most natural scoring RWer, even if by default. He has always put up pretty decent numbers given that he got ZERO power play time and averaged less than 14 minutes per game.

So it was not illogical to think that, if given 18 minutes per game with some PP time and playing in a top 6 role that he could put up 20 or 25 goals, while having some of the best work ethic & tenacity in the league. Like it or not, that gets you north of $2 million in the NHL nowadays.

I honestly thought that perhaps Shero could envision this happening and would use TK's "lack of production" as a negotiating tool to sign him for less money on a long-term deal, and then after he signed, start giving TK the kind of ice-time & opportunity to play in a bigger role, and then he would end up being a bargain.

But, alas: there were some injuries and TK was forced into a role that, quite frankly, he deserved, and now we are going to have to pay the piper for it.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:29 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
People **** on me earlier this year when I said it was going to take $1.8 to $2 million to sign this guy.

Well now, with the way he has produced this year, even more than I anticipated due to injury & increased ice-time, he is going to be due for a contract in the neighborhood of about $2.2 to 2.5 million if we want to sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal. His production & resume are superior to Clarke McArthur's stats a year ago, and he will eligable for the same or more if he goes to arbitration -- especially considering his numbers relative to ice-time & PP time -- not to mention the fact that someone will go after him with an offer sheet.

This is why I was hoping Shero signed this guy early in the season when he probably could have locked him up for under $2million on a 3 year deal. Oh well....
Considering his age, his production this season, and the fact that he has a cup on his resume, I'd say it would be pretty realistic to assume that he could definitely get something north of 2 million per season for at least a 3-4 year team. He's also shown steady improvement in his overall play in my opinion. The only thing that makes me somewhat skeptical is his proneness to injury, but at least this season he's done a great job at staying healthy.

Personally, I think it would be foolish to let him walk, especially considering the chemistry he's managed to forge with some of the other guys on this team (namely Cooke and Staal).

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:42 AM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I remember at the beginning of the season when some people were actually suggesting that he should be limited to 4th line minutes and nother more.

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I can see Kennedy getting between $1.8M and $2.5M. Per year.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanical View Post
I can see Kennedy getting between $1.8M and $2.5M. Per year.
If he were a UFA, I'd agree.

I think his RFA status will keep his salary down to 1.5-ish

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I'm still very much convinced that we need to cut ties with some excess fat and use that and the increase in the cap to get another second line wing. I figure if we can cut $2-3 mil from the roster and the cap goes up $3mil, we'd have approx $4mil for a winger after resignings and raises. I'd give TK a touch over a mil...like Talbot...Dupuis money would be a stretch but if it came down to it I'd pull the trigger.

With that, we have

Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Kunitz, Neal, Kennedy

to play in the top six. However, I'd like to see:

Neal - Crosby - Winger
Cooke - Malkin - UFA
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy

UFA is a Leino, Gange, etc. Winger possibilities are: Jeffery, Letestu, Tangradi, Johnson...

I like this because it creates 3 duos that are all threats. Kunitz - Staal is working well right now and they are up against the #1,#2 pairings...I think they could work well agains the #3 pairing

Dream line up:
Neal - Crosby - Jeffery
Leino - Malkin - Cooke
Kunitz - Staal - Kennedy
Adams - Talbot - Tangradi/Johnson/Rupp
Two thoughts. No way is Kennedy only getting Talbot money and even Dupuis money is a stretch. I think Cooke money is more likely. Also, I like the depth idea but you seriously are putting Cooke with Malkin? Why wouldn't you just keep Cooke / Staal / Kennedy together if Kennedy is staying on the third line? That line was already the "best 3rd line in hockey" and with Kennedy's newfound scoring touch that line could be a threat like it is. Malkin needs at least one good top 6 option so give him Kunitz or Neal. I like Leino a lot and would love to see him as a Pen but he's not a guarantee to work out here. Based on that combo of players this is what I like:

Kunitz / Crosby / Kennedy
Neal / Malkin / Leino (not sure if Leino can play RW. if not I'd acquire a RW instead)
Cooke / Staal / Jeffrey
Adams / Talbot / Tangradi

I think that makes both of your top 2 lines fantastic. That is line 1a and 1b for sure and the although there is a bit of change on that 3rd line, I think you are still getting some goal scoring ability in Jeffrey and a good defense guy as well. The fourth line is great as well although I'd like to see Tangradi develop his offensive game with at least one decent forward option (I'd put Letestu in that spot and not resign Talbot). That would be a responsible line and could put up some goals. Maybe throw in a physical 4th liner like Rupp as well and Vitale as 1st call up.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
KiuasWarrior

I'll admit... I was pretty unhappy with TK earlier in the season. There was a strech of 10 games where it didn't seem like he existed, but he's really stepped it up recently and hopefully he can carry his recent good play into the playoffs.

I'm rooting for the little guy.

(Actually we're both the same size, he's just little compared to your average NHLer)

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Dread Pirate Roberts

I remember some people wanted him benched/waived and some people wanted him on Crosby's wing before the season. There was really no in between.

The rest of the Crosby's wing people and I were right!

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:07 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I remember some people wanted him benched/waived and some people wanted him on Crosby's wing before the season. There was really no in between.

The rest of the Crosby's wing people and I were right!
I just can't see how he wouldn't fit in well with Crosby... His style of play fits too much to not work. He forechecks hard, works well along the wall an behind the net, has a good shot, and can stickhandle well. Plus this season he's shown a better knack for knowing when to pass the puck instead of shoot it, and he's placing his shots better for passes of the goalies pads.

I think if you just give him a bit of time to develop chemistry with Crosby he would be perfect.

Neal - Malkin - _______
Cooke - Staal - _______

Fill in whomever in those RW spots, and you have a great top 3 lines.

MrBurgundy is online now   Reply With Quote