HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Tyler Kennedy Appreciation Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2011, 04:23 PM
  #76
Super Sniper Cele
Registered User
 
Super Sniper Cele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,606
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Or you can look at what Kennedy has done of the course of his career, given a fraction of the opportunity as other players, but putting up pretty good stats, when healthy.
You act like because he wasn't playing top line minutes with Crosby and Malkin he was skating with scrubs. Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke are no bums.

Quote:
Or you can go by when he has played in the top 6 with Crosby or Malkin, things happened. Or you could go by right now when the team needed someone to step up and fill in some scoring, he did it.
Ok, let's go by the time he has spent on either of their lines. Considering how weak our winger situation was before Neal and Kovalev were brought in, if he was as good as you claim, why was he never kept with either Crosby or Malkin for more than a couple of games or so? You say "things happened". I think those 'things' were weak defensive play and atrocious passing mites would laugh at.

Dick Tarnstrom led this team in points before the lockout because there was simply nobody else to do so. Michel Ouellet and Andy Hilbert each had their 15 minutes of fame here too, either playing with Sid/Geno or otherwise. Players get hot at different times often depending on the surrounding circumstances. If you were a fan all the way back then when we weren't contenders every year, you'd know those guys aren't doing squat today. I'm not saying Kennedy is Ouellet/Hilbert, just giving an example because it seems as if the newer fans don't quite comprehend that Kennedy is a bum.

Quote:
The Kennedy haters are very quickly losing all of their ammunition.
Actually, when he first came onto the scene in 2007 and nobody else even knew who he was (kinda like Letestu) I kind of liked him. When he was playing 10-12 minutes on the third line (none of which on the PP) he wasn't bad. Since he's been given more playing time thus more responsibilities, I've noticed his flaws considerably. He's horrible on the wall in the defensive zone. He's often overpowered by defenders pinching down and unable to clear the zone. When he does get his way into the offensive zone you'd better hope he's pulling his weak, half-assed toe drag followed by the low shot for a rebound because if not he surely won't be able to hit anybody with a good, clean pass.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:27 PM
  #77
Super Sniper Cele
Registered User
 
Super Sniper Cele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,606
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTownFever View Post
Or you could watch the games and realize that Kennedy flat out produces offense and his style of play would perfectly compliment Crosby's.
So why didn't he "flat out produce offense" during his several stints on Crosby's line?

And for the record a blind monkey with one nut could be considered a "perfect compliment" to Crosby son.


Last edited by Super Sniper Cele: 04-05-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:40 PM
  #78
Super Sniper Cele
Registered User
 
Super Sniper Cele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 2,606
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Super Sniper Cele
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
I love to hear why would you put Letestu/Jeffrey there instead of TK...
Well since the rest of you like to use numbers to back up your statements, I'll do the same.

Kennedy has 42 points in 77 games, most of which have been played on the top two lines with Crosby and Malkin out. He averages about 16-19 minutes per game and often gets time on one of the PP units.

Jeffrey has 12 points in 25 games, most of which have been played on the bottom two lines. He averages about 12-15 minutes per game and saw limited PP time.

Kennedy has one thing over Jeffrey and that's speed, however Jeffrey more than makes up for the lack thereof with solid two way play and much better passing. Like Jeffrey, Letestu as well can be relied upon to kill penalties, something I'd only want to see Kennedy doing as a Flyer.

Super Sniper Cele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:21 PM
  #79
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Well since the rest of you like to use numbers to back up your statements, I'll do the same.

Kennedy has 42 points in 77 games, most of which have been played on the top two lines with Crosby and Malkin out. He averages about 16-19 minutes per game and often gets time on one of the PP units.

Jeffrey has 12 points in 25 games, most of which have been played on the bottom two lines. He averages about 12-15 minutes per game and saw limited PP time.

Kennedy has one thing over Jeffrey and that's speed, however Jeffrey more than makes up for the lack thereof with solid two way play and much better passing. Like Jeffrey, Letestu as well can be relied upon to kill penalties, something I'd only want to see Kennedy doing as a Flyer.
Letestu is not a Pker, sorry. I don't disagree with the fact that Jeffrey has proven to be solid in most any role he has been given. One day he may be given a shot in the top 6. I highly doubt he's put there over Kennedy. You can't seriously think TK will be kept on the third line instead of Jeffrey. Maybe if Staal stays down there but assuming not, TK has proven he is a perfect third wheel for Sid as he's improved his shot and passing while maintaining his puck retrieval and puck possession.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
  #80
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Ok, let's go by the time he has spent on either of their lines. Considering how weak our winger situation was before Neal and Kovalev were brought in, if he was as good as you claim, why was he never kept with either Crosby or Malkin for more than a couple of games or so? You say "things happened". I think those 'things' were weak defensive play and atrocious passing mites would laugh at.
Who knows what DB's thinking when he puts together his forward lines? He's had Dupuis stapled to the top line for as long as he's been here for crying out loud, despite the fact that the guy can't figure out any better move on a 3-on-2 than to hang onto the puck, take it way wide, and lob it at the goalie from the corner.

Quote:
I'm not saying Kennedy is Ouellet/Hilbert, just giving an example because it seems as if the newer fans don't quite comprehend that Kennedy is a bum.
Comparing Kennedy to Ouellet/Hilbert is ridiculous.

Quote:
Since he's been given more playing time thus more responsibilities, I've noticed his flaws considerably. He's horrible on the wall in the defensive zone. He's often overpowered by defenders pinching down and unable to clear the zone. When he does get his way into the offensive zone you'd better hope he's pulling his weak, half-assed toe drag followed by the low shot for a rebound because if not he surely won't be able to hit anybody with a good, clean pass.
What you apparently haven't noticed is that Kennedy is the best puck-pursuit player on the team, often forcing opposition defensemen into mistakes because of his instincts and closing speed, that he's the best player we have on the team at creating offensive chances - including Neal and Kovalev, and you also resort to a lazy old stereotype about his passing that couldn't be less true today.

I made a habit of pointing out every time Kennedy made a patient passing play in the GDTs this year until it happened so often that I stopped bothering.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
  #81
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
So why didn't he "flat out produce offense" during his several stints on Crosby's line?

And for the record a blind monkey with one nut could be considered a "perfect compliment" to Crosby son.
Several stints?

http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpo...ations&sent=go

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:28 PM
  #82
Fogel
Analytics please
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
Well since the rest of you like to use numbers to back up your statements, I'll do the same.

Kennedy has 42 points in 77 games, most of which have been played on the top two lines with Crosby and Malkin out. He averages about 16-19 minutes per game and often gets time on one of the PP units.

Jeffrey has 12 points in 25 games, most of which have been played on the bottom two lines. He averages about 12-15 minutes per game and saw limited PP time.

Kennedy has one thing over Jeffrey and that's speed, however Jeffrey more than makes up for the lack thereof with solid two way play and much better passing. Like Jeffrey, Letestu as well can be relied upon to kill penalties, something I'd only want to see Kennedy doing as a Flyer.
25 games is hardly a large sample size. It is encouraging yes, but I don't see anything predictive in such a small sample size.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:01 PM
  #83
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Anybody happen to catch that pass Kennedy made tonight?

If he played as oblivious to his surroundings as his detractors claim, the biscuit would've been blindly rifled at the net in that situation.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:06 PM
  #84
Fogel
Analytics please
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVa
Country: United States
Posts: 1,390
vCash: 500
Kennedy has shown flashes of patience this season. However, he has also shown that he follows good seasons with bad seasons. Hopefully, he can find some consistency at this higher level.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:18 PM
  #85
mpp9
Registered User
 
mpp9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 16,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogel View Post
Kennedy has shown flashes of patience this season. However, he has also shown that he follows good seasons with bad seasons. Hopefully, he can find some consistency at this higher level.
I dont remember tk ever playing like this. Hes been as impressive with his poise and passing as he has sniping. You always want home grown players to develop to fill in spots we need, he has. This coming from someone who thought him bottom six material.

mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 06:31 AM
  #86
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
So why didn't he "flat out produce offense" during his several stints on Crosby's line?

And for the record a blind monkey with one nut could be considered a "perfect compliment" to Crosby son.
Because he's never given more than a handful of shifts during the course of the season? Or don't you actually watch the games?

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 07:41 AM
  #87
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 13,326
vCash: 500
I've never really doubted Kennedy's game. I do have my doubts that he'll ever have chemistry with Crosby or Malkin though. I don't care what websites say, I have watched every game of Kennedy's career and he has been given a number of chances with Crosby and Malkin over the years and it wasn't pretty. He looked completely lost and wasn't the same player. He just doesn't seem like a good compliment to either of them.

People get on Dupuis, but the guy isn't really there just for offense. He's a speedy, defensive forward that can chip a few goals in once in a while. He's also low maintenance since he doesn't really need the puck a lot to be effective. Not saying I want Dupuis back or that Kennedy should never get another look in the top 6, but I can understand why they've played Dupuis with Sid over Kennedy to this point.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:14 AM
  #88
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I've never really doubted Kennedy's game. I do have my doubts that he'll ever have chemistry with Crosby or Malkin though. I don't care what websites say, I have watched every game of Kennedy's career and he has been given a number of chances with Crosby and Malkin over the years and it wasn't pretty. He looked completely lost and wasn't the same player. He just doesn't seem like a good compliment to either of them.
I've also watched every game, and I can say with supreme confidence that Kennedy was never given a legitimate shot to play with either. When he did it might have been for 1 or 2 games max. Plus he was younger, more inconsistent, and had trouble with injuries (or mono twice I think) throwing him off his game.

There is nothing about Kennedy's game that wouldn't translate well to playing with Crosby (I don't want him with Malkin btw). Throw in the fact that he has chemistry with Kunitz, and that line will be like butter.


Last edited by MrBurgundy*: 04-06-2011 at 08:35 AM.
MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 08:32 AM
  #89
Jag68Sid87
Registered User
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 28,041
vCash: 500
Kennedy grows on you. He grew on me early. He had to grow on Bylsma, because if you recall in training camp Kennedy looked to be on the outs. My how time has changed everything.

The Staal-Kennedy combination is the backbone of this team. I've said it many times, and I believe it. When things aren't going well, those two find a way quite often. And both have proven capable of stepping up when it matters. And whether Kunitz is with them or Cooke, this line just is a real pain to line up against night after night. They soften up opponents for the others to follow.

I can't say enough good things about Kennedy. I just hope he's willing to take a bit of a discount for long-term security this summer, because we really need him.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
  #90
KiuasWarrior
Registered User
 
KiuasWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
The all-mighty Kennedy - 20 goals
The all-hated Pascal Dupuis - 16 goals

Mind blown.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
  #91
WVP
Registered User
 
WVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 13,019
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I do have my doubts that he'll ever have chemistry with Crosby or Malkin though. I don't care what websites say, I have watched every game of Kennedy's career and he has been given a number of chances with Crosby and Malkin over the years and it wasn't pretty. He looked completely lost and wasn't the same player.
I must have missed those games. I have indeed missed plenty of games in the Kennedy era (haha) but what sticks out to me is Kennedy looking great on Malkin's RW in training camp last year, and the one time when MT used Kennedy with Crosby and Staal - that line looked great to me but didn't last half a game. I also feel things were always happening offensively in the few random shifts that Kennedy has seen with Crosby in the last few years.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:05 PM
  #92
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 41,434
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
The all-mighty Kennedy - 20 goals
The all-hated Pascal Dupuis - 16 goals

Mind blown.
Now look at how many goals each has had since Crosby went down. Yeah.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:08 PM
  #93
KiuasWarrior
Registered User
 
KiuasWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Now look at how many goals each has had since Crosby went down. Yeah.
This has nothing to do with Crosby. It's just surprising to see they are only 4 goals apart.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:30 PM
  #94
JTG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Sierra Leone
Posts: 38,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sniper Cele View Post
You act like because he wasn't playing top line minutes with Crosby and Malkin he was skating with scrubs. Jordan Staal and Matt Cooke are no bums.
But they aren't Crosby and Malkin, yet Kennedy has produced similarly to Pascal Dupuis, without playing with the best center in the world. Funny.


Quote:
Ok, let's go by the time he has spent on either of their lines. Considering how weak our winger situation was before Neal and Kovalev were brought in, if he was as good as you claim, why was he never kept with either Crosby or Malkin for more than a couple of games or so? You say "things happened". I think those 'things' were weak defensive play and atrocious passing mites would laugh at.
If you have watched him play in the top 6 with Crosby or Malkin, you would see that when Kennedy played in the top 6, there was some action going on. I think a main reason he was moved back on a consistent basis is because he was the glue on that 3rd line. If you take Kennedy away from Staal and Cooke, all of a sudden they weren't as good. Then factor in that Dupuis had some chemistry with Crosby and not much chemistry with anyone else, and there you go...

Quote:
Dick Tarnstrom led this team in points before the lockout because there was simply nobody else to do so. Michel Ouellet and Andy Hilbert each had their 15 minutes of fame here too, either playing with Sid/Geno or otherwise. Players get hot at different times often depending on the surrounding circumstances. If you were a fan all the way back then when we weren't contenders every year, you'd know those guys aren't doing squat today. I'm not saying Kennedy is Ouellet/Hilbert, just giving an example because it seems as if the newer fans don't quite comprehend that Kennedy is a bum.
I have been watching hockey for 20 years. I like to think I know a thing or two about the game. Comparing Tyler Kennedy to Dick Tarnstrom, Michel Ouellet, or Andy Hilbert is ignorant, and you lose a good portion of credibility.

Kennedy, when healthy, has consistently been a pretty decent offensive cog for this team. He has produced similarly to other players given 10-12 mins of ice a night.

Quote:
Actually, when he first came onto the scene in 2007 and nobody else even knew who he was (kinda like Letestu) I kind of liked him. When he was playing 10-12 minutes on the third line (none of which on the PP) he wasn't bad. Since he's been given more playing time thus more responsibilities, I've noticed his flaws considerably. He's horrible on the wall in the defensive zone. He's often overpowered by defenders pinching down and unable to clear the zone. When he does get his way into the offensive zone you'd better hope he's pulling his weak, half-assed toe drag followed by the low shot for a rebound because if not he surely won't be able to hit anybody with a good, clean pass.
It's funny you say you have been noticing his flaws since he's been given more responsibility because the general consensus has been that since he has been getting more ice time, his flaws have become LESS noticeable, and I would agree with that sentiment.

I just don't think you have watched Kennedy this season, and if you have, I think you are letting preconceived notions cloud your rationale and ability to see what is really going on.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:42 PM
  #95
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
The all-mighty Kennedy - 20 goals
The all-hated Pascal Dupuis - 16 goals

Mind blown.
Assists:

Kennedy: 23

Dupuis: 19


ATOI

Kennedy: 14:26

Dupuis: 16:48


Age

Kennedy: 24

Dupuis: 31

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:43 PM
  #96
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: GlassCase of Emotion
Country: United States
Posts: 16,896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
I just don't think you have watched Kennedy this season, and if you have, I think you are letting preconceived notions cloud your rationale and ability to see what is really going on.
Or he could just be trolling this thread.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
  #97
KiuasWarrior
Registered User
 
KiuasWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Age

Kennedy: 24

Dupuis: 31
Haha what does this have to do with anything?

I just wanted to put it out there that Dupuis isn't really that far off from Kennedy's #'s.

Dupuis' TOI is skewed a little for the PK.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:52 PM
  #98
Dread Pirate Roberts
Registered User
 
Dread Pirate Roberts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mountain West
Country: United States
Posts: 5,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
The all-mighty Kennedy - 20 goals
The all-hated Pascal Dupuis - 16 goals

Mind blown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Assists:

Kennedy: 23

Dupuis: 19


ATOI

Kennedy: 14:26

Dupuis: 16:48


Age

Kennedy: 24

Dupuis: 31
Ice time with Crosby:

Kennedy: ~2.5%

Dupuis: ~30%


Ice time with Malkin:

Kennedy: ~2.5%

Dupuis: ~7%


Kennedy is a younger player who produces more with fewer opportunities.

Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:59 PM
  #99
KiuasWarrior
Registered User
 
KiuasWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Kennedy is a younger player who produces more with fewer opportunities.
This is true. There is no argument about that.

But my point is that the love for Kennedy lately from most people and the hate for Dupuis MAY be unjustified considering their #'s aren't too far off.

KiuasWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 01:01 PM
  #100
Human
cynic
 
Human's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bandwagon
Posts: 4,617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by standundefeated View Post
This has nothing to do with Crosby. It's just surprising to see they are only 4 goals apart.
at first I thought and I hoped you were being somehow sarcastic. but it seems you were serious. really? Dupuis played half of this season with Crosby and when Crosby got injured,he fell off the face of the planet. don't let the two goals he scored last night fool you,Dupuis is a black hole on this team.

edit: TK is also getting paid half of Dupuis' money...

Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.