HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grabo and Kule's next contracts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
  #26
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
No he doesn't.
His actual salary and affect on the cap will be about $962,500.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=4

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:37 PM
  #27
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
And Bozak's contract expires a year before Grabo and Kulie so it doesn't matter anyway.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
  #28
mooseOAK*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 42,437
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc116 View Post
Their contracts expire after next season. Do we give them true top 6 money? I'm thinking 5 years 4.5 mil per would be a bargain.
That's Burke's job, not mine.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  #29
cyris
Global Moderator
On a Soma Holiday
 
cyris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: 3rd Planet From Sun.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,209
vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
BONUS CUSHION

The Performance Bonus Cushion - A team may exceed the Upper Limit by up to 7.5% due to performance bonuses. All performance bonuses, earned or not, count against the cap. If a bonus becomes impossible to achieve, then the team gets a cap credit back for the remainder of that season. At the end of the year, if the actual bonuses earned cause the team to exceed the Upper Limit, that excess is applied against the following seasons cap.

This CBA has been in place for 6 years now, how is it you still dont understand this?

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:57 PM
  #30
hackm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,386
vCash: 500
Why would fans suggest either be traded at the trade deadline? We're going to be a playoff team. Only teams that are out would consider trading a 20-30 goal scorer. Are you guys that used to Toronto sucking?

hackm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:08 PM
  #31
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,945
vCash: 100
If both play like this next season (and I expect Kulemin to be even better than this) lock them both up for 5 years for 20 mill.

Kulemin is no way in hell getting anything less than 4 million if he's a 30 goal scorer again. 5 years for both will be a bargain.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:14 PM
  #32
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
We need both.. I wouldn't trade Grabo at the tdl.. The guy is a soldier

Its too early to talk #'s we gotta see next year's stats first..

We need to dump Komisareks contract!!!
best post of the thread.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:19 PM
  #33
Raym11
Phaneuf sucks
 
Raym11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,775
vCash: 500
i wouldnt even risk Kulemin to offer sheets if its anything below 5.5 if he does score 30+ next year i dont know if i could let him go for picks id rather take the extra cap hit

Raym11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:56 PM
  #34
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,956
vCash: 500
Well Kulemin should probably get a longer term than Grabovski. Burke has some choices to make as far as Grabovski is concerned, and a lot of that depends on this summer... if Burke gets a top flight #1 center (ie: Richards), that might spell the end of Grabovski in TO. Assuming one of Colborne or McKegg (or whoever we draft this year) can step in as a #2 center, of course. Kulemin on the other hand is probably going to be a top 6 winger for the Leafs for a long time.

If Burke doesn't end up getting Richards or a #1 centre in summer or 2012, then I'd be happy with something like this:

Kulemin --- 5 years @ $4M
Grabovski --- 2 years @ $3.5M

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:37 PM
  #35
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
oh yeah?
i wasn't being sarcastic, so yea.

we do need both. they have fantastic chemistry. & i don't see why people would want Grabovski moved at the deadline.

move him for what? a pick/prospect we can only hope will turn out as good as Grabovski? a player who plays a different position? i don't get it...

if he has a poor year next year, he won't have much value anyways on the market, and we'd be able to sign him for a bit of a discount.

if he has another great year...great! how many players come to Toronto and succeed in recent memory? so why move him???


IMO, Grabovski and Kulemin should make up 2/3 of our 2nd line for years to come. we'll worry about pricetags when the time comes....but Burke will probably get it done the right way so that everyone is happy (hopefully).

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:45 PM
  #36
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Ganoush View Post
i wasn't being sarcastic, so yea.

we do need both. they have fantastic chemistry. & i don't see why people would want Grabovski moved at the deadline.

move him for what? a pick/prospect we can only hope will turn out as good as Grabovski? a player who plays a different position? i don't get it...

if he has a poor year next year, he won't have much value anyways on the market, and we'd be able to sign him for a bit of a discount.

if he has another great year...great! how many players come to Toronto and succeed in recent memory? so why move him???


IMO, Grabovski and Kulemin should make up 2/3 of our 2nd line for years to come. we'll worry about pricetags when the time comes....but Burke will probably get it done the right way so that everyone is happy (hopefully).
Cheers bro!

I agree with you, if his stats decline then we can perhaps get a discount but who knows.. But I'd rather keep both if we can afford them. If we get a #1 Center then that means Colborne probably goes to line #3 if when we bring him up??

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
  #37
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Well what does the above average second liner make in the NHL? That's what these guys are. Patrick Sharp's 3.9 million dollar contract comes to mind. A player that put's up great stats but isn't necessarily a top 3 but more of a well above average second liner. Once our first line is in place my god our top 6 is going to be deadly. Also you keep Grabo and Kulemin together... They make each other better and there comfortable in this environment... Trading them would be beyond moronic.

XXXXX - XXXXXX - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - XXXXX

These are the only legit locks for our top 6 for the next 5 years.

Lupul, Kadri, Mac all fighting for 2 of the winger spots.

A centre is brought in... Because right now I don't think we have that elite centre in the system... Not Colborne or Kadri IMO... And I see Kadri as more of a winger.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:07 PM
  #38
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Well what does the above average second liner make in the NHL? That's what these guys are. Patrick Sharp's 3.9 million dollar contract comes to mind. A player that put's up great stats but isn't necessarily a top 3 but more of a well above average second liner. Once our first line is in place my god our top 6 is going to be deadly. Also you keep Grabo and Kulemin together... They make each other better and there comfortable in this environment... Trading them would be beyond moronic.

XXXXX - XXXXXX - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - XXXXX

These are the only legit locks for our top 6 for the next 5 years.

Lupul, Kadri, Mac all fighting for 2 of the winger spots.

A centre is brought in... Because right now I don't think we have that elite centre in the system... Not Colborne or Kadri IMO... And I see Kadri as more of a winger.
Yeah that's true.. I wouldn't break them up as well.

But what do you do when Colborne comes knocking & say we get a #1 Center? How do you make space for Colborne? Move him to the wing? I don't know about that..

Top 6 forwards = Kessel, Kadri, #1 Center(if we get one) , Grabo, Kulemin, Macarthur

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:41 PM
  #39
zapy
Registered User
 
zapy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Richmond Hi
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Well what does the above average second liner make in the NHL? That's what these guys are. Patrick Sharp's 3.9 million dollar contract comes to mind. A player that put's up great stats but isn't necessarily a top 3 but more of a well above average second liner. Once our first line is in place my god our top 6 is going to be deadly. Also you keep Grabo and Kulemin together... They make each other better and there comfortable in this environment... Trading them would be beyond moronic.

XXXXX - XXXXXX - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - XXXXX

These are the only legit locks for our top 6 for the next 5 years.

Lupul, Kadri, Mac all fighting for 2 of the winger spots.

A centre is brought in... Because right now I don't think we have that elite centre in the system... Not Colborne or Kadri IMO... And I see Kadri as more of a winger.
Ladd - Laich - Kessel (These guys will create space for Kessel)
Kulemin - Grabo - Lupul (Lupul natural position is RW)
Kadri - Bozak/Colborne - Armstrong
Orr - Brent - Brown (Keep the toughness and penalty killing)

This is how I see our team getting tougher, stronger while keeping the character and talent and staying young.

Kessel plays with 2 strong players that will create him space. Laich and Ladd signed as UFA. Mcarthur traded (I know he was great; but how else are we going to get bigger?). Armstrong obviously on the third line. Kadri with Bozak on the third line and later hopefully Colborne can replace him (kadri and Colborne together on the PP have good chemistry). Our 4th line will be a very tough, useful 4th line.

zapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:42 PM
  #40
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
Yeah that's true.. I wouldn't break them up as well.

But what do you do when Colborne comes knocking & say we get a #1 Center? How do you make space for Colborne? Move him to the wing? I don't know about that..

Top 6 forwards = Kessel, Kadri, #1 Center(if we get one) , Grabo, Kulemin, Macarthur
You deal with that problem when you are faced with it... That is actually a good problem to have. You don't just leave a spot open for an unproven prospect and hope he will turn out. There are tons of ways to work around that. Detroit doesn't waste roster spots on guys like Orr and they develop a lot of there rookies on the bottom 6 with a select few veterans like Draper and Modano. I would like that approach but I don't see Burke/Wilson doing that. Worst case scenario if there was no room, you have a very valuable trade piece.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:50 PM
  #41
Baba Ganoush
Registered User
 
Baba Ganoush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,499
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
Cheers bro!

I agree with you, if his stats decline then we can perhaps get a discount but who knows.. But I'd rather keep both if we can afford them. If we get a #1 Center then that means Colborne probably goes to line #3 if when we bring him up??
think of it this way...

that is a great problem to have!


i'm not banking on Colborne being ready for another year or two...but when that time comes, who knows where we'll be at.

our depth at C is looking something like this at the moment (not including upcoming UFA's):

Grabovski
Bozak
Kadri
Colborne
Hanson

if Burke can't sign Richards, or has no interest in signing Richards, rather than throwing $$ at a 2nd teir guy like Connolly, maybe he goes with Kadri or Colborne at C on Kessel's line? still the possibility of trading the picks we have of course...but i'm just thinking if the right offer doesn't come, and we don't land Richards, that's not too horrible.

we did alright this season and that's with Bozak having a terrible year centering Kessel...so could we really be any worse off having Colborne or Kadri there next season?

i just hope Burke doesn't make a trade/signing just for the sake of it, which i doubt he will.

Baba Ganoush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:51 PM
  #42
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
You deal with that problem when you are faced with it... That is actually a good problem to have. You don't just leave a spot open for an unproven prospect and hope he will turn out. There are tons of ways to work around that. Detroit doesn't waste roster spots on guys like Orr and they develop a lot of there rookies on the bottom 6 with a select few veterans like Draper and Modano. I would like that approach but I don't see Burke/Wilson doing that. Worst case scenario if there was no room, you have a very valuable trade piece.
Yeah that is a good problem to have your right. I don't see Kadri staying on the third line that long though..

What do you think about signing Scotty Upshall as a third liner with Armstrong?

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 05:56 PM
  #43
Pi
Registered User
 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,945
vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth99 View Post
Yeah that is a good problem to have your right. I don't see Kadri staying on the third line that long though..

What do you think about signing Scotty Upshall as a third liner with Armstrong?
Two third liners earning 3M is too much. I think it was this reason that Versteeg was moved, he's clearly not top 6 and having him earn 3M is not worth it.

Upshall brings much more than Versteeg, but Burke won't sign him for 3M+

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
  #44
ThreeHundred
Registered User
 
ThreeHundred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 2,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Two third liners earning 3M is too much. I think it was this reason that Versteeg was moved, he's clearly not top 6 and having him earn 3M is not worth it.

Upshall brings much more than Versteeg, but Burke won't sign him for 3M+
True... He'd be a nice fit hopefully he takes a pay cut lol he's a Burke type of guy i think

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:38 PM
  #45
Rockinz
Leafs 4 the cup
 
Rockinz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML Rebuild View Post
I would like to see how the two of them will do next year before unloading a ton of money on their next contracts.

As of right now I would pay the following:

Mikhail Grabovski - 3 years @ 3.75
Nikolai Kulemin - 3 years @ 2.900
best scenario but not likely...


IMO this is what it will be if they both have the same type of year as this one

Grabo - 4 years @ $4.5M

Kule - 5 years @ $4M

Rockinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:47 PM
  #46
Vexxed14
Registered User
 
Vexxed14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Barrie, Ont
Posts: 4,400
vCash: 500
I was not saying that we should trade Grabo for the sake of it but there is a chance Burkie can land a top C and improve the bottom 6. If that happens and a young kid like Kadri can continue to improve, I can see a move happening.

The stars have to align, so to speak, but if they do and the above scenario comes to fruition, then it could happen.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:48 PM
  #47
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,447
vCash: 500
both players are great blocks for the team

give them the kovuchuk treatment

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:00 PM
  #48
ULF_55
Global Moderator
 
ULF_55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Mountain Standard Ti
Posts: 55,767
vCash: 500
Too far away to tell.

If Grabovski and Kulemin score 30+ goals again certainly they will both get raises.

What do 30+ goal scorers get? How many 30 goal scorers get less than 4 million on a contract renewal?

__________________
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bA3LN_8hjM8.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:11 PM
  #49
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinz View Post
best scenario but not likely...


IMO this is what it will be if they both have the same type of year as this one

Grabo - 4 years @ $4.5M

Kule - 5 years @ $4M
Why does everyone think Grabovski should get more then Kulemin? Kulemin is probably our most important forward because what ever line he plays on is our best line. He is arguably our most important player other then James Reimer but you could possibly make a case for Phaneuf or Schenn.

If they both score 30 goals again I would be happy with:

Kulemin - 4.0
Grabovski - 4.0


Last edited by HappyGilmourr: 04-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:50 PM
  #50
Leafmon1
Registered User
 
Leafmon1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Massena, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo027 View Post
Well Kulemin should probably get a longer term than Grabovski. Burke has some choices to make as far as Grabovski is concerned, and a lot of that depends on this summer... if Burke gets a top flight #1 center (ie: Richards), that might spell the end of Grabovski in TO. Assuming one of Colborne or McKegg (or whoever we draft this year) can step in as a #2 center, of course. Kulemin on the other hand is probably going to be a top 6 winger for the Leafs for a long time.

If Burke doesn't end up getting Richards or a #1 centre in summer or 2012, then I'd be happy with something like this:

Kulemin --- 5 years @ $4M
Grabovski --- 2 years @ $3.5M
You and Kulie might be happy, but not Grabs. He deserves AT LEAST 4.25-4.5 if he produces and plays as well all-around as he did this year, for AT LEAST three years.

Leafmon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.