HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What I would do if I was GM to prepare for the CBA...

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2004, 08:12 AM
TVanek26*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
What I would do if I was GM to prepare for the CBA...

Trades:

#1-Trade Chris Drury and JP Dumont to Boston for Nick Boynton,Lars Jonsson and a 2nd round pick

Reason:Clear some salary room and acquire a nice #3 d-man,a 2nd round pick and a project d-man.Boston would get the (sort of) hometown kid and have a clutch playoff performer.

#2-Trade Miro Satan and Ales Kotalik to Chicago for Tyler Arnason and a 2nd round pick.

Reason:Clear a logjam at RW,save around 5 million dollars and acquire a decent center who is relatively young.Chicago with the signing of Barnaby and Brown and the rumored interest in Kariya looks to be loading up.

#3-Trade Jay McKee and Mike Grier to Colorado for JM Liles and a 3rd round pick.

Reason:Lacroix has been interested in Jay for awhile now,so they deal a promising young defenseman for a proven warrior that could help pick up some of the slack in a few years when Foote and Blake retire.Mike Grier will provide some 4th line play with the loss of Barnaby.

#4-Trade Martin Biron to Detroit for Niklas Kronwall

Reason:There are rumors that Detroit may deal Legace for Morrison,and who knows how CuJo will do this year.Detroit deals a promising player,but gain a young starter.

#5-Trade a 5th round pick to Phoenix for Tyson Nash.

Reason:A cheap agitator is always good to have.

Sign:Thomas Vanek to a 3 year entry level deal at rookie max.

Briere-Arnason-Hecht
Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov
Bartovic-Mair-Paille
Peters-Gaustud-Nash

Kalinin-Boynton
Liles-Kronwall
Tallinder-Jillson

Noronen
Miller

With this roster,it would be a smart way to compete for Crosby.Your d-men are all young and can be a good defensive core.The forwards are young and cheap.With all the extra picks,even if you finish out of the top 3,you could move up,because face it we aren't going to the playoffs,and for some reason we did we won't go far.We may as well build for a future after the CBA and ultimately re-build.

(And I didn't trade everyone for 1st's like everyone else does )

Old
07-08-2004, 09:50 AM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
I don't like trade #3, and I don't think we're getting enough in trade #2. Also, I wouldn't include Dumont in the 1st deal, so maybe Drury + Kotalik for Boynton and Jonsson.

I love trade #4, but I'm not sure if it'd happen. Trade #5 would be a good move too, but I'm not sure if that could happen.

Old
07-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
Trades:

#1-Trade Chris Drury and JP Dumont to Boston for Nick Boynton,Lars Jonsson and a 2nd round pick

Reason:Clear some salary room and acquire a nice #3 d-man,a 2nd round pick and a project d-man.Boston would get the (sort of) hometown kid and have a clutch playoff performer.

#2-Trade Miro Satan and Ales Kotalik to Chicago for Tyler Arnason and a 2nd round pick.

Reason:Clear a logjam at RW,save around 5 million dollars and acquire a decent center who is relatively young.Chicago with the signing of Barnaby and Brown and the rumored interest in Kariya looks to be loading up.

#3-Trade Jay McKee and Mike Grier to Colorado for JM Liles and a 3rd round pick.

Reason:Lacroix has been interested in Jay for awhile now,so they deal a promising young defenseman for a proven warrior that could help pick up some of the slack in a few years when Foote and Blake retire.Mike Grier will provide some 4th line play with the loss of Barnaby.

Reason:There are rumors that Detroit may deal Legace for Morrison,and who knows how CuJo will do this year.Detroit deals a promising player,but gain a young starter.

#5-Trade a 5th round pick to Phoenix for Tyson Nash.

Reason:A cheap agitator is always good to have.

Sign:Thomas Vanek to a 3 year entry level deal at rookie max.

Briere-Arnason-Hecht
Vanek-Roy-Afinogenov
Bartovic-Mair-Paille
Peters-Gaustud-Nash

Kalinin-Boynton
Liles-Kronwall
Tallinder-Jillson

Noronen
Miller

With this roster,it would be a smart way to compete for Crosby.Your d-men are all young and can be a good defensive core.The forwards are young and cheap.With all the extra picks,even if you finish out of the top 3,you could move up,because face it we aren't going to the playoffs,and for some reason we did we won't go far.We may as well build for a future after the CBA and ultimately re-build.

(And I didn't trade everyone for 1st's like everyone else does )
#1 it's a nice idea. but cost conscious Boston doesnt want Drury's 4 million dollar contract. and why would they want to trade one of the better young top 4 defensemen in the league in Boynton? if you were boston would you make that deal?

#2 this IS the trade. I love it. talent wise it favors Chicago heavily. but fi they are ready to take on the salary, they can do buffalo a huge favor by clearing the right side and plugging a solid young center into the equation.

#3 this trade is bad. i know youre a trying to get younger and get a shot a crosby. but this is still a bad trade. Mckee is worth more than Liles. and Grier is worth more than a 3rd. neither are overpaid. and mckee is entering the prime of his career (hopefully with the injury bug behind him).

#4 any trade of biron is a good one

#5 nash would be make one nasty 4th line (mair-Gaustad-Nash)

Old
07-08-2004, 04:33 PM
Fan-of-#9

I am totally against any idea of trying to get into the Crosby lottery.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:15 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:

I'd do that for sure, if Detroit was ever silly enough to do it. Passing on the others, though some of them could definitely work out.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:33 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
I am totally against any idea of trying to get into the Crosby lottery.

Why not?We would have our first offensive superstar since LaFontaine.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Why not?We would have our first offensive superstar since LaFontaine.
I can't speak for him, but I think it's a cheap (pun not intended) way to run a team. I don't think it is fair to the fans to intentionally tank a season. The players I'm sure think it is sacrilege and it makes the hockey gods cry.

Old
07-08-2004, 05:47 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_paxon
I can't speak for him, but I think it's a cheap (pun not intended) way to run a team. I don't think it is fair to the fans to intentionally tank a season. The players I'm sure think it is sacrilege and it makes the hockey gods cry.

I never hear Pittsburgh complain about tanking for Mario and winning 2 cups.The players won't care if we tank,they already see that we are not trying to improve ourselves.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
I never hear Pittsburgh complain about tanking for Mario and winning 2 cups.The players won't care if we tank,they already see that we are not trying to improve ourselves.
Who said they tanked intentionally, though? I'd tend to believe they were simply the worst team in the league.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:18 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Who said they tanked intentionally, though? I'd tend to believe they were simply the worst team in the league.

Well I'm just trying to get into a top 3 pick to get either Brule,Crosby or Latendresse.We need a star player and all 3 of those guys are future superstars.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:25 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Trading Drury would show this team has absolutely no direction whatever. You're stuck with him, deal with it.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:28 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Well I'm just trying to get into a top 3 pick to get either Brule,Crosby or Latendresse.We need a star player and all 3 of those guys are future superstars.
They could be future superstars. So could someone in the 9th round. It isn't worth breaking the honor of competition for a higher selection in a crapshoot.

Old
07-08-2004, 06:38 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruckus007
Trading Drury would show this team has absolutely no direction whatever. You're stuck with him, deal with it.

I know

Trading Drury would mean a re-build process.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
I know

Trading Drury would mean a re-build process.

You're not proposing rebuilding. You're proposing tanking a season to maybe get Crosby. They can do that without any of your trades. Just tell the players not to work each night. I'll take the current version of the team over your idea any day.

Old
07-08-2004, 07:37 PM
TVanek26*

Yeah just telling the players not to win would cost way too much and is pointless.I would rather do my idea and in 4 years you would have a young,cheap and good team to watch.

Old
07-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Yeah just telling the players not to win would cost way too much and is pointless.I would rather do my idea and in 4 years you would have a young,cheap and good team to watch.
I thought we had that.

Old
07-09-2004, 06:45 AM
TVanek26*

Quote:
I thought we had that.
If we did you wouldn't know it from how guys like Pyatt are playing.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
...With this roster,it would be a smart way to compete for Crosby.Your d-men are all young and can be a good defensive core.The forwards are young and cheap.With all the extra picks,even if you finish out of the top 3,you could move up,because face it we aren't going to the playoffs,and for some reason we did we won't go far.We may as well build for a future after the CBA and ultimately re-build

And isn't this exactly what Regier has done coming up to the CBA expiration? Almost every established player of any significance has been dealt, young players with upside pepper the lineup and there are some very good prospects in the system. Isn't this what you've been howling, complaining, and being ultra-pessimistic regarding the team for months now?

07-09-2004, 08:44 AM
N.Y. Orangeman
Coyotes Fan

No offense, I don't like any of those moves. I think each one is a loss and in when taken in total, it significantly weakens our organization.

Old
07-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Fan-of-#9

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned we've got that already, and they are only getting better.

Old
07-09-2004, 05:28 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
You would if you watched Kalinin, Hecht, Drury, Briere, Dumont....

Old
07-09-2004, 06:25 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Well, they aren't all going to be superstars, and at that Pyatt still has a very real chance of being one. But I was thinking more of the guys mentioned in the post right before this.

But the important thing is that the Sabres are young, they are cheap, and in my opinion they are fun to watch -- otherwise I wouldn't be a fan.

Old
07-09-2004, 07:14 PM
TVanek26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman
No offense, I don't like any of those moves. I think each one is a loss and in when taken in total, it significantly weakens our organization.

Well atleast I'm not like everyone else grabbing about 20 1st round picks in trades.

And there's no way that the Detroit or Phoenix trade hurt our team.Darcy would probably jump on all those deals except the Colorado one probably.

Closed Thread