HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey's one-one talks

Old
04-04-2011, 02:45 PM
bjac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
YOU REALLY NAILED ME ON THAT ONE.
\
Relax. I wasn't making an arguement either way. I was just letting you know that what you were saying wasn't exactly true. I didn't mean to upset you.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:46 PM
OneSharpMarble

Golly gee gosh thanks bob, just be happy you weren't kicked out of the org when you tied the team to that horrendous contract in the first place and traded 2 of our best dman prospects.

Still can't believe the coward jumped ship asap.

OneSharpMarble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 02:49 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Golly gee gosh thanks bob, just be happy you weren't kicked out of the org when you tied the team to that horrendous contract in the first place and traded 2 of our best dman prospects.

Bob wanted to retire, plain and simple. The man has been through more than 95% of us and wanted to live the rest of his life out of the lime light. As a fan, I commend Bob Gainey and everything he has done for this organization as both a player and GM. Calling him a coward is rediculous. That type of character flaw has nothing to do with a persons preformance as a NHL GM. Its poor taste.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:09 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Bob wanted to retire, plain and simple. The man has been through more than 95% of us and wanted to live the rest of his life out of the lime light. As a fan, I commend Bob Gainey and everything he has done for this organization as both a player and GM. Calling him a coward is rediculous. That type of character flaw has nothing to do with a persons preformance as a NHL GM. Its poor taste.
So he makes a pile of panic moves and then bails out and you commend him? If he allowed his successor to make moves and build the team through patience we would not be in the position we are today. He dumped a pile of assets and then ran off with this nonsense about retiring out of the limelight.

Everyone goes through rough times in their life, save that **** for bleeding hearts. Great player ****** GM, should have retired BEFORE ruining the team.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:14 PM
zecchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Bob just wasn't the same man after his daughter's death. It's a good thing he stepped down, because his heart just wasn't into it (or as much as it had been in the past) anymore.

zecchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:16 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
So he makes a pile of panic moves and then bails out and you commend him? If he allowed his successor to make moves and build the team through patience we would not be in the position we are today. He dumped a pile of assets and then ran off with this nonsense about retiring out of the limelight.

Everyone goes through rough times in their life, save that **** for bleeding hearts. Great player ****** GM, should have retired BEFORE ruining the team.
I don't agree with a lot of the teams moves they made, but people are using Gainey as a scape goat IMO. It's not a one man show, he was the GM but there were a lot of others that had input on those moves, and one of them is the current GM. He didn't inherit the situation he was a part of it.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:19 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
I don't agree with a lot of the teams moves they made, but people are using Gainey as a scape goat IMO. It's not a one man show, he was the GM but there were a lot of others that had input on those moves, and one of them is the current GM. He didn't inherit the situation he was a part of it.
I find that very hard to believe. Watching Gauthier make moves and gainey make moves are two totally different animals. Gauthier makes reasonably balanced moves than seem to have value while gainey would make the most ludicrous panic moves that were almost always one sided. Sure he had a few good ones but he was incredibly reactive and not proactive.

Old
04-04-2011, 03:28 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe. Watching Gauthier make moves and gainey make moves are two totally different animals. Gauthier makes reasonably balanced moves than seem to have value while gainey would make the most ludicrous panic moves that were almost always one sided. Sure he had a few good ones but he was incredibly reactive and not proactive.
I'm not trying to defend anything nor am I trying to take away from what Gauthier has done since. I hope Gauthier improves this team more during the offseason cause there are still big holes that need to be filled. I just don't think Gainey's moves were made all on his own.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Wish Bob would have a talk with Poulliot.
He tried but Pouliot fell up the stairs on his way to Gainey's office...

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:30 PM
habsjunkie2*

I'm surprised Gomez didn't slip into a coma while talking to Bob.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:

It's not a question of bailing out of panic or because he was having a rough time in his life. He left because he realized life is much bigger than the Montreal Canadiens, much bigger than his own legacy, much bigger than any award or accolade. His daughter and wife's deaths... I'm sure his heart wasn't just bleeding from these events, it was probably emptied out completely. He had nothing left to give the organization, he gutted the core that compeltely imploded in 2009 and put together a leadership group (which is what Gio, Cammy and Gomez are) that might not put up the points you want them to but have the attitude of winners.

I'm happy with the attitude of this team. A group like this with character - a group of professionals - is what I want over a team put together like the Caps that are all flair and no character. There are some areas of improvement but to say Gainey has ruined the team presents just as much a lack of perspective as saying that he went through "rough times" and that events of loss should only affect the psyche of "bleeding hearts".

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:47 PM
1UP

Quote:

He set up the foundation of a team that can go to the semifinals and play the entire season without it's best D and finish 6th and you are displeased?

Wow?

1UP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:02 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Guys, don't feed the troll.

It's like mogwais after midnight.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:12 PM
PricePkPatch

He did okay. I remember reading this board's thread when he drafted Price, people were calling for his head at the time.

He got us Kovalev, which didn't ended up that bad for us. We had a bad group of apples growing like a cancer in our locker room, he had to deal with it. He hired Carbonneau, who wasn't that bad of a coach. He hired JM, who is also very good.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:38 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Pilkington View Post
It's not a question of bailing out of panic or because he was having a rough time in his life. He left because he realized life is much bigger than the Montreal Canadiens, much bigger than his own legacy, much bigger than any award or accolade. His daughter and wife's deaths... I'm sure his heart wasn't just bleeding from these events, it was probably emptied out completely. He had nothing left to give the organization, he gutted the core that compeltely imploded in 2009 and put together a leadership group (which is what Gio, Cammy and Gomez are) that might not put up the points you want them to but have the attitude of winners.

I'm happy with the attitude of this team. A group like this with character - a group of professionals - is what I want over a team put together like the Caps that are all flair and no character. There are some areas of improvement but to say Gainey has ruined the team presents just as much a lack of perspective as saying that he went through "rough times" and that events of loss should only affect the psyche of "bleeding hearts".
Yes the attitude of winners. Like gomez laughing on the bench while the team is mauled. Like the team sitting back and letting Halak get shelled every night and then they don't even show up for the flyers series because most are too **** scared to take a hit. What a core of winners!

What in gods name are you going on about? He signs everything with a heart beat and then just happens to bail out and let gauthier clean up his mess because he has some epiphany that the habs aren't the only important thing in life and now STILL WORKS FOR THE HABS?

Gimme a damn break, he didn't know what the **** he was doing, saw the mess he made and decided he didn't want to take the blame and get fired so he bailed. It is either that or he was offered the door and decided to take the honourable way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
He set up the foundation of a team that can go to the semifinals and play the entire season without it's best D and finish 6th and you are displeased?

Wow?
Wow indeed. This is the new benchmark of success for the habs I guess. Just crawl into the playoffs and pray for a cinderella run. This team is no contender, every team has to deal with injuries and we are only even in the playoffs (soon to be 8th) because of an insanely weak eastern conference. Be proud.

Old
04-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Wow indeed. This is the new benchmark of success for the habs I guess. Just crawl into the playoffs and pray for a cinderella run. This team is no contender, every team has to deal with injuries and we are only even in the playoffs (soon to be 8th) because of an insanely weak eastern conference. Be proud.
The only person that seems to believe in cinderella stories is you. You're not going to become a contender overnight.
We finished 8th last season while battling to keep a .500 record when going through numerous injuries, and went to the CF finals. This year, we battled for the top spot in the division for most of the season, we remained 6th for most of the season, this while losing our top 2 Dmen, arguably. Obviously, you're not giving our team any chance in the POs this year, and this without even knowing our opponent in the first round. But in any case, it's called improvement.
Next summer, we'll have about 30M in cap space. We will see what Gauthier does with it. Maybe some more small improvements will take place, maybe that puts us in the top 4 in the East. Maybe in the following year, with a few more tweaks, we'll be in true contention mode.

Becoming solid contenders doesn't happen in a year, and it won't happen in two years either if you have no cap room. We'll see what happens next summer.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I carry #23 out of respect on this forum to my favorite player as a man, #23 Bob Gainey.

I believe in helping to mold young guys, but come on, I'm not sure about old Montreal walks with 30 year old men. If you can't figure it out for yourself by Age 27 or so, stop searching for the answers... Man up and fix it yourself!

Hug Your girlfriend or Wife, Do your job! the NHL isn't love dove....

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Gainey deserves more respect than you're showing him here. And considering the circumstances in his personal life, I can't say I blame him for quitting. I thought he would've quit a lot sooner.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
coolasprICE

Hard to dislike Gainey the person, but what he committed in his final summer was out-of-character.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:19 AM
PricePkPatch

Gainey wanted to purge the core of the team to something he thought would be better on the long term. He thought Gionta, Camellari and Gomez would have a better influence in our youth than Kovalev & Koivu had.

Time will tell if he was right. And don't forget that this man already walked this walk. He knows what it is to be the moral support of a team in Montreal. He was a good captain in his time, so I believe he knows a lot more about what's good for a team psyche than a lot of you Monday morning quarterbacks, armchair hockey coaches.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habtastic

Quote:

sorry, but this is a very (I'm trying hard to be polite)...ill-informed...post

Of course you will not accept it because it's just easy to go along with the conventional thinking, but I'm still glad Gainey made that trade. I think Gomez is an integral part of the team and he has had a bad year, but you can reallly feel it when he's not there. In addition, I like few, think Tom Pyatt was a great pickup and offset the loss of McDo who so far has not made much of an impression (but I'm sure will be pretty good). Gomez + Gio + Cammy was the best team overhaul we've had in, well since we've really overhauled the team at all. They have all contributed majorly to the team (or continue to do so) since being here and although everyone wants to "Halak" last year, although he was the key, we never would have gone that far without G-G-Cam. Don't forget in addition that a very large reason we have Carey Price is Bob Gainey. I'm not satisfied with the combined points total of the "big three" this year, but I also recognize that things don't always turn out perfect and that it's getting better. We're better with them even now, than without them. As much as I am frustrated with Gionta's misses, I look at his goals totals from this and last year and realize that he's made a massive contribution and I am happy to say he is a worthy successor to Koivu.

Gomez will be/is worth it IMO. It's just not as obvious to most.

As for Gainey "bailing"...what a nonsensical opinion. I think you and Bob should have a one-on-one talk.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Hard to dislike Gainey the person, but what he committed in his final summer was out-of-character.
Yes, and people here can't disconnect the two. Gainey the GM was average at best, but as a person and a character in the organization, he's A+

I disliked Gainey as a GM very much, but I have never knocked him as the player he was or the man he is. I wish people would just stop being so dramatic when Bob is called out on his mistakes.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The only person that seems to believe in cinderella stories is you. You're not going to become a contender overnight.
We finished 8th last season while battling to keep a .500 record when going through numerous injuries, and went to the CF finals. This year, we battled for the top spot in the division for most of the season, we remained 6th for most of the season, this while losing our top 2 Dmen, arguably. Obviously, you're not giving our team any chance in the POs this year, and this without even knowing our opponent in the first round. But in any case, it's called improvement.
Next summer, we'll have about 30M in cap space. We will see what Gauthier does with it. Maybe some more small improvements will take place, maybe that puts us in the top 4 in the East. Maybe in the following year, with a few more tweaks, we'll be in true contention mode.

Becoming solid contenders doesn't happen in a year, and it won't happen in two years either if you have no cap room. We'll see what happens next summer.
Gorges is nowhere near one of our top dman, holy batman, settle down. You keep harping on the 30m that we don't really have. These are expiring contracts of some of our better players, we need to keep them, so the amount of $$$ for improvements is slim to none.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:48 AM
chickenium

He's probably threatening to throw them in the river with cement boots if they don't step up.

chickenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Gorges is nowhere near one of our top dman, holy batman, settle down. You keep harping on the 30m that we don't really have. These are expiring contracts of some of our better players, we need to keep them, so the amount of $$$ for improvements is slim to none.
That's untrue. Do the spreadsheets. The possibilities are there and very much plausible. I've done the maths over and over with different scenarios and we do indeed have a lot of money to throw around and tweak the team to make it even better. It's rather a question of opportunities, as we don't have that much to improve with a full healthy lineup, other than the players who are getting old and are UFAs. They are no big RFA upgrades to give, and no big UFA upgrades either. I'm sure PG is pretty excited about the work he'll be able to do this summer. What will make the difference is the opportunities (which UFAs will be available and willing to come here).

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote