HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Playoff Expectations

Old
04-03-2011, 02:51 AM
cneil99

vCash: 500
Playoff Expectations

Ok in all seriousness, what are playoff expectations for this team? I know we haven't officially clinched yet but we will sooner than later. With Kopitar/Williams gone is it realistic to think this team can go on a run? I think we need to finish 4 or 5, if we end up playing the top 3 seeds I say we have no prayer. I do think we can beat either Phoenix or Nashville even the Ducks but that's it. Living in Calgary I've been talking up the Kings all year but now I personally am thinking the 2nd round is as good as it gets (I'm really quiet these days). What do u think?

cneil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

I think we can win a round, and after that it'll depend on who we play. I think without Kopitar we can still beat most teams, but not Vancouver imo.

What is the expectation on Williams? Can he be back by the end of the first round? I assume Loktionov's injury is so severe he'll be gone, no matter how far into the playoffs we go?

kingsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 02:56 AM
Dr. Naysay

Send a message via AIM to Dr. Naysay
I would love to say that this team can win a round. I really really would.

Without Kopitar and Williams I can't see them advancing past the first round.

Dr. Naysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 03:35 AM
cneil99

I know initial reports on Williams said 4 weeks but really the key to LA is Kopitar, without him LA is in big trouble

cneil99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 04:36 AM
Orenji

Win a round.

After that, anything else without Kopitar is just bonus.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
AnalogMan

Hey Kings fans,

I'm coming to LA for the Wednesday game with the Coyotes. I'm a SoCal (I know, everyone hates that moniker) native who is very much hoping for a Coyotes-Kings 1st round match-up. To have the chance to make every game would be incredible. Especially if this is the Coyotes final season in Phoenix.

That said, if the Coyotes in fact leave I will switch my allegiance back to the team I supported growing up. I've preemptively taken my Simmer and Gretzky jerseys out of the mothballs, just in case. (OK, Goring, Dionne, and Vachon jerseys, too, but no age jokes, please! They were my grandpa's. )

I know many here in Phoenix, like me, relocated here and adopted our local team. While I don't want to lose our team -- especially to Winnipeg -- if we do I hope you'll welcome us back as fans.

Looking forward to Wednesday and to the hockey Gods weighing in for a Yotes-Kings 1st round match-up.

Now, where can I go prior to the game on Wednesday in my Yotes attire for some good-natured smack-talking? I'll even buy the first round.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:26 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I would give the Kings a chance against Phoenix and Nashville in the first round. Anyone else would be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Mattias

Vancouver: Lose.
Detroit: Lose.
San Jose: Lose.
Phoenix: Possible.
Nashville: Win!
Anaheim: Lose.
Chicago: Lose.

Mattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Hey Kings fans,

I'm coming to LA for the Wednesday game with the Coyotes. I'm a SoCal (I know, everyone hates that moniker) native who is very much hoping for a Coyotes-Kings 1st round match-up. To have the chance to make every game would be incredible. Especially if this is the Coyotes final season in Phoenix.

That said, if the Coyotes in fact leave I will switch my allegiance back to the team I supported growing up. I've preemptively taken my Simmer and Gretzky jerseys out of the mothballs, just in case. (OK, Goring, Dionne, and Vachon jerseys, too, but no age jokes, please! They were my grandpa's. )

I know many here in Phoenix, like me, relocated here and adopted our local team. While I don't want to lose our team -- especially to Winnipeg -- if we do I hope you'll welcome us back as fans.

Looking forward to Wednesday and to the hockey Gods weighing in for a Yotes-Kings 1st round match-up.

Now, where can I go prior to the game on Wednesday in my Yotes attire for some good-natured smack-talking? I'll even buy the first round.
I'd go to the Yardhouse in LA Live. They have a great beer selection there.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:02 AM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

I have no expectations. I think that's the best way to approach this year's post season.

kingsholygrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
I wouldn't go this far to say with Kopitar out we have no chance.
The team is deep enough and very strong.

The problem i see is that if you really want to win a series you have to dominate
your opponent. Not to mention the Stanley cup.

Doesn't matter Kopiatr and Williams are on the team or not,
we are simply not able to dominate someone. It is not our style and we always have problems against teams when we have to make the game.
Order 5 people in front of our own net and score 1 or 2 goals is good enough to collect 2 points here and there in regular season.

But playoff is another story.

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:03 AM
OK Computer

I'm sure our defense will give us a shot against NSH/ANA/PHO, and even though you guys seem to think they're untouchable against us, Chicago, but other than that, it's gonna be tough.

Any of those 4 teams in the first round, which is most likely what it will be, probably the Preds or Yotes in the 4/5 matchup, and I think we can win. Will we? That's a crapshoot, but I still love our chances against any of those 4 teams.

I think if Quick+Bernier perform the way we all know they can, I like us to win in the first round.

OK Computer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:18 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
Vancouver: Lose.
Detroit: Lose.
San Jose: Lose.
Phoenix: Possible.
Nashville: Win!
Anaheim: Lose.
Chicago: Lose.
Pretty much this.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1027
Vancouver: Lose
Detroit: 6 games and could go either way
San Jose: Ask me in a few days
Phoenix: Possible
Nashville: Win
Anaheim: Win
Chicago: Lose

Live in the Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
If we were 100% healthy, then I would say win a round, but as-is, my expectations were just that the team finish out the season strongly and make it to the postseason.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:36 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

With the injuries, I think the Kings are very comparable to Phoenix and Nashville. Good defensive systems, good goaltending, and scoring by committee. If we face one of them in the 1st round (not unlikely), I think we have a 50/50 chance.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:38 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
With the injuries, I think the Kings are very comparable to Phoenix and Nashville. Good defensive systems, good goaltending, and scoring by committee. If we face one of them in the 1st round (not unlikely), I think we have a 50/50 chance.
Yep. Get into the 4/5 matchup, and it's almost a certainty.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
SLang

Expect to lose in round two. Hope to win it all.

Similarly-talented teams have gotten hot and won the Cup before.

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Scrivezina
Need Another Cup

I'd like to see Vanc play Chicago so the Caknuckle heads get bounced in round one.

LA vs Phoenix, not so sure.

If we get to round 2, I'd like to see an Ana vs LA series. Just because we're due for one.

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

Stanley Cup or bust

Amirite????

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Quattro

Without Kopitar and Williams, anything beyond making the playoffs is gravy imho. I think they have a shot against Phoenix or Nashville. I don't really want any part of the Ducks right now.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:13 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

... I had expectations of winning a round, possibly two, when the team was at full strength.

Without Kopitar - it's going to be rough. The Kings will have to rely heavily on Doughty and their secondary scoring for any kind of offensive pressure. And, obviously, whoever plays in goal is going to have to be near-perfect.

If the Kings somehow find a combination that will work for them offensively, they'll have a chance; a good chance. If not, well ...

I foresee quite a bit of OT in whatever series the Kings play in. In those situations, all it takes is one good chance, a good bounce, a misplay by the goalie. At any rate, it will be exciting. All I expect is that the Kings play intelligently and stay mentally tough. The lessons learned last year could serve them very well this year.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:14 PM
TonySCV
One More Time

Vancouver: Do not want in round 1.
Detroit: meh. They've looked vulnerable.
San Jose: Do not want in round 1.
Phoenix: Want in round 1. Offensively challenged like the Kings but a worse overall D.
Nashville: Want in round 1. Offensively challenged even more than the Kings; on par D.
Anaheim: Want in round 1. Pourous D and laughable goaltending without Hiller. Best shot to advance vs. The Ducks ironically.
Chicago: On paper I'd want them in round 1, but the Kings couldn't beat them this season. Will take them in round 2.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:15 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Hey Kings fans,

As long as you hate the Ducks, Canucks, and Red Wings I'd say you're in.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Zad
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Naysay View Post

Replace some of that guilt with confidence and you just may.

Zad is offline   Reply With Quote