HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Where's the excitement? (York)

Old
04-04-2011, 10:28 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Where's the excitement? (York)

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17856676.html

Just thought it was good perspective coming from a past NHL Dman and level headed type. I've always said stuff like this, sometimes I've been mocked...but it's true. His quickness may actually be better than Keith's right now, and his raw talent could very well be best among NHL Dmen...top 3 surely. The kid is a rare talent on D.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:58 AM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hoc.../17856676.html

Just thought it was good perspective coming from a past NHL Dman and level headed type. I've always said stuff like this, sometimes I've been mocked...but it's true. His quickness may actually be better than Keith's right now, and his raw talent could very well be best among NHL Dmen...top 3 surely. The kid is a rare talent on D.
ya i have compared him to Duncan Keith as well in the past. I havent seen a better skating dmen when it comes to Keith and Karlsson.

Karlsson obviously needs to pack muscle but his skating is what makes him really special and as to why there is hope he can get much better in his own end. York is right. Sky the limit for this kid

The last game he played did anyone see him hold the puck at the line and then just skate by a crowd of players into the slot area? that is something you can't teach

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:00 AM
MatthewT

agree with him. I can definitely see the comparisons between Havlat and Karlsson with regards to entertainment and excitement.

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:40 AM
Berserker

He's got a lot of talent but he still needs to work on his defensive game. His defensive game has improved though, he was pretty bad early in the season. Also it would be nice for him to take the body a little more, play a little more like Kronwall.

Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:41 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Good read.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:47 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I'm excited. This guy could realistically put up ~65 points next year as a 21 year old if the team has a few more offensive options other than Spez. He'll lead the league in defensive scoring within the next 3-4 years.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Half the town has Spezza-itis. They'd much rather have someone good in the defensive end with high potential in that area, which is fine I guess.

Karlsson is great.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:52 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

I like listening to Jason York on the Team 1200 & reading his articles in the Sun, I find myself agreeing with him a lot. Nice article on Karlsson & like Bruiser said I too would like to see him get better defensively & I think he will as soon as Ottawa gets some better defencemen to play with him. I think Cowen & Karlsson will make a pretty good tandem unless they want to groom Cowen to be a shutdown guy with Gryba. IMO Blood could be that shutdown guy with Gryba which would leave Cowen to play a dual role with Karlsson which is what I would like to see at some point down the road.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Keeping Karlsson
Since 2013

Truth-- whenever I think back to the days when going to Sens games was the most fun, Havlat is the first player to come to mind. He and Hossa have easily been the most entertaining players the franchise have seen.. and while there are plenty of promising guys coming up, only Karlsson seems to have that same potential.

Keeping Karlsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Soda

I remember back in the day when Havlat came back from a long injury and scored a hatty against Toronto in his first game back. Truly electrifying

Soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Havlat did things on the ice no other NHL players could do.
Of all the players that have come and gone, i miss watching him play the most....by far.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 04:09 PM
Ishdul

I don't think there's a lack of excitement over Karlsson. There have been a million threads dedicated to him and one of the reasons his game has been so scrutinized is because we have such high expectations for him.

Ishdul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:22 PM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
Havlat did things on the ice no other NHL players could do.
Of all the players that have come and gone, i miss watching him play the most....by far.
Woah...relax. Datsyuk,for example, can do anything havlat can. But Havlat was by far the best dangler the SENS have ever had. Not NHL though.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:12 PM
Rumcajs

Lets not get carried away with Havlat, Good player yes but no Elite talent. Terrible idea trading him away though.

Rumcajs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanuck619 View Post
Lets not get carried away with Havlat, Good player yes but no Elite talent. Terrible idea trading him away though.
I think thats the point.

Even though he wasn't elite talent, he always brought some excitement to the game, moreso than any other player weve ever had.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:36 PM
Bobby Blowhard

I cant be the only who thinks Jason Yorks opinion is the media equivalent to a crumbly, stale, unsweetened peanut buttter cookie can I? Or the beige slightly worn upholstered interior of a Toyota Cressida? A Top Flite XL? Below average meatloaf with no kethcup? No Name popcorn...

He is so mundane and conservative its beyond tolerance. For that reason I think this article sucked. You could just picture him breaking a heavy sweat coming up with that story.

Bobby Blowhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Other than Spezza, Karlsson's the only guy we have on the team right now that I feel is really dynamic enough to take the game into his hands, especially in overtime. Definitely a reminder of all those Sens teams with Hossa and Havlat. Here's hoping whoever is GM when his first contract is up doesn't mess it up.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Pyke*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hands View Post
Other than Spezza, Karlsson's the only guy we have on the team right now that I feel is really dynamic enough to take the game into his hands, especially in overtime. Definitely a reminder of all those Sens teams with Hossa and Havlat. Here's hoping whoever is GM when his first contract is up doesn't mess it up.
+1.

I also agree completely with the comparisons to Duncan Keith.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I don't get the title of the article though. We're plenty excited for Karlsson.

Is York talking about us as a fan base or was he speaking more about league-wide recognition?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote