HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins sign Brian Gibbons to a 2 year ELC

Old
04-05-2011, 03:32 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyduke View Post
Saw Gibbons play for four years. He ended up centering BC's top line each year. Not a bad deal when you're playing with Nathan Gerbe and Cam Atkinson.

While I don't think Gibbons will make it at the NHL level, I sure wouldn't put it past him. Fast player with great vision and passing. Plays with an edge--likes to mix it up. Would have had even better numbers the last two years if he could have stayed out of the box. You won't see anyone else his size deliver a better open ice hit. A true playmaker's playmaker...to a fault every now and then.

Kid is a winner. Will certainly bring some traits to your organization that everyone will like.
Thanks to you and the couple others that were actually able to shed some insight on him. Is it just his lack of size that makes you think he won't make it? It's certainly hard for me to imagine a player that's only 5'8 and 165 pounds making it in the NHL. I know there's been a few exceptions like St. Louis and Gionta, but still, those players are few and far between.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:48 AM
bigd

Quote:
Saw Gibbons play for four years. He ended up centering BC's top line each year. Not a bad deal when you're playing with Nathan Gerbe and Cam Atkinson.

While I don't think Gibbons will make it at the NHL level, I sure wouldn't put it past him. Fast player with great vision and passing. Plays with an edge--likes to mix it up. Would have had even better numbers the last two years if he could have stayed out of the box. You won't see anyone else his size deliver a better open ice hit. A true playmaker's playmaker...to a fault every now and then.

Kid is a winner. Will certainly bring some traits to your organization that everyone will like.
He'll have his butt glued to the bench if he takes too many penalties under John Hynes watch. We'll also see how much he likes to mix it up in the pros without a facemask and fighting allowed.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustBurnsRed View Post
What are his flaws, since you don't think he'll make it at the NHL level?
His size isn't a "flaw", but it's an obstacle. He's a pretty good defensive forward too. I'd say his flaws are discipline and that he doesn't look for his shot enough. But, then again, players like David Krejci don't shoot either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Thanks to you and the couple others that were actually able to shed some insight on him. Is it just his lack of size that makes you think he won't make it? It's certainly hard for me to imagine a player that's only 5'8 and 165 pounds making it in the NHL. I know there's been a few exceptions like St. Louis and Gionta, but still, those players are few and far between.
A lot of people questioned Gionta and Nathan Gerbe. There was no doubt in my mind about either one of them. They were explosive goal scorers and had the grit to go along with it. Gibbons has the same grit as them, but isn't quite the explosive offensive player that either of them were IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
We'll also see how much he likes to mix it up in the pros without a facemask and fighting allowed.
Don Cherry, is that you? Sure hasn't stopped Nathan Gerbe from making an impact with the Sabres this year.

Last edited by Johnnyduke: 04-05-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

I wish this video was better quality...

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:17 AM
JTG

Racking up that many points in one college season is never a joke, IMO. Nice little shot of skill to the system.

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Skk82

For all the mid round picks the Pens trade away, nice to get some professional ready talent in the system.

Skk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 11:52 AM
JTG

If Pittsburgh becomes a main destination for UDFA's, that will never be a bad thing. I like having mature players in the system (both physically and mentally).

Old
04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
No Quarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skk82 View Post
For all the mid round picks the Pens trade away, nice to get some professional ready talent in the system.
Good point.

No Quarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:06 PM
bigd

Quote:
His size isn't a "flaw", but it's an obstacle. He's a pretty good defensive forward too. I'd say his flaws are discipline and that he doesn't look for his shot enough. But, then again, players like David Krejci don't shoot either.

A lot of people questioned Gionta and Nathan Gerbe. There was no doubt in my mind about either one of them. They were explosive goal scorers and had the grit to go along with it. Gibbons has the same grit as them, but isn't quite the explosive offensive player that either of them were IMO.

Don Cherry, is that you? Sure hasn't stopped Nathan Gerbe from making an impact with the Sabres this year.
Gibbons is no Gerbe or Gionta, Not even close!

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Johnnyduke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Gibbons is no Gerbe or Gionta, Not even close!
Jesus, at least read what I wrote. I never said he was in the same class.

Johnnyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:08 AM
sina220*

Like both the signings so far but it certainly seems like Shero's qualifications for signing minor league FA's are very different from his drafting qualifications.

Pessonen, Conner, Sterling, Lerg, Collins, and Gibbons all under 6 ft. Thompson and Craig right at 6 ft.

Not quite the same style as the large bodied North Americans we're used to seeing so readily in the draft. Although I guess, assuming small guys are considered bigger risks at the draft, this is a good way to see if they'll pan out before you waste assets on them. Just odd to see so many small guys when Shero notoriously like the big NA players in the draft.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 09:40 AM
JTG

Because big guys are almost always going to get drafted if they show even an ounce of NHL ability.

As the saying goes, little guys have to prove they can play, big guys have to prove that they can not.

Old
04-07-2011, 10:00 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post
Because big guys are almost always going to get drafted if they show even an ounce of NHL ability.

As the saying goes, little guys have to prove they can play, big guys have to prove that they can not.
Exactly, basically all the best college Free Agents are sub 6'0 with plenty of them sub 5'10.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 01:49 PM
sina220*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG32005 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Exactly, basically all the best college Free Agents are sub 6'0 with plenty of them sub 5'10.
Yea I mean I did kind of assume that in my post but not all of those guys are straight from college.

When you really look at it Joey Mormin, Corey Potter, and Geoff Walker are the only 3 players Shero has signed as prospects/wbs guys that bring any size/height to their game the past 3 years. You can go back to Tim Wallace and Lovejoy before that, but that's about it.

It's just surprising considering 19 of 30 (.6333%) Shero draft picks so far have been 6'2" or taller. And the only year he didn't draft at least 50% of players 6'2" or taller was in 2008 when we didnt have a pick in the first 3 rounds.

I get that there aren't as many "big" guys with potential just floating around in FA, but the slew of guys under 5'10 or so seems pretty striking. It's not like these guys are even 6' or 5'11. They're 5'8"-10" and some of those listings seem generous. We have to be among the leage leaders for guys under 5'10" in our system right now. Sterling, Conner, Collins, Lerg, Gibbons.

But it certainly seems to be paying off so I'm not hating.

sina220* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2011, 02:33 PM
JTG

I really don't know what you're getting at. Short guys are typically journeymen because they are on a short leash right off the hop. Most of them are AHL fodder. Sterling, in particular, comes to mind. He was brought in to bring some high powered offense to the AHL and feed the WBS fans a bone.

Shero is signing what's available. What is usually available are undersized players for the reasons I mentioned above.

Old
04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
wej20

I'd rather Shero go for a home run sub 6'0 guy with his free agent prospect signing than some 6'4 200 lbs guy who was a 3rd liner for his junior league career.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote