HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

OT - Chicken Wings near HSBC Arena

View Poll Results: Best wings in WNY?
Anchor Bar 5 19.23%
Duffs 7 26.92%
Gabriel's Gate 9 34.62%
Bocce's 0 0%
LaNova 1 3.85%
Elmo's 1 3.85%
Random Local Joint 5 19.23%
Cole's 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2011, 05:08 PM
hockeyfanKW

vCash: 500
OT - Chicken Wings near HSBC Arena

I was wondering where the best Chicken Wings are near the HSBC Arena. We are taking my 13 year old son to the game for his birthday against Tampa! We are from Ontario and are looking for a little shopping and great chicken wings in the afternoon.

Any help is appreciated.

hockeyfanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Anchor Bar.

http://www.anchorbar.com/

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:13 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
This is the truth. My favorite wings in Buffalo.

YES, better than Duff's. I said it. It's out there.

Anyhow, it's definitely not walking distance to the arena, but ironically, no places that are known for their chicken wings are. If it's gotta be walking distance, I'd go with Pearl St. Tasty microbrews.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
Mike McDermott
blah blah blah

Yeah but if he's going in the afternoon walking distance shouldn't matter.

Mike McDermott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:21 PM
sabres_phan

The Swannie House

sabres_phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:28 PM
hockeyfanKW

Thanks for the quick replies. I don't mind if it's not walking distance. I just don't want to drive around too much when we are down there. Pull in, eat some chicken wings, have a couple of beers, shop a bit and off to the game. I don't want to risk traffic or anything.

hockeyfanKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Clock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizzo View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't mind if it's not walking distance. I just don't want to drive around too much when we are down there. Pull in, eat some chicken wings, have a couple of beers, shop a bit and off to the game. I don't want to risk traffic or anything.
Directions to the Anchor Bar from HSBC.

Old
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
ClearTheTrack

Anchor Bar are better than you'll get in virtually any other city, and it is a fun tourist attraction to boot.

Duffs is a great hole in the wall and when their wings are at their best, they are the best. Slightly inconsistent however. Plus it's not that close to downtown (all Buffalo-relative of course).

I need to put a vote for Gabriels Gate, however. At 145 Allen St, just a few minutes drive to the arena. Fantastic wings, probably the best right now.

ClearTheTrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:43 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clock View Post

Anyhow, it's definitely not walking distance to the arena, but ironically, no places that are known for their chicken wings are. If it's gotta be walking distance, I'd go with Pearl St. Tasty microbrews.
Duff's is a joke. You can't just put Frank's Red Hot on a wing and call it the best wing in Buffalo. Any given local pizzeria is MUCH better. Anchor bar is top notch as well, although their pizza isn't that good.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
Duff's is a joke. You can't just put Frank's Red Hot on a wing and call it the best wing in Buffalo. Any given local pizzeria is MUCH better. Anchor bar is top notch as well, although their pizza isn't that good.
I love Anchor Bar's pizza. I guess it depends on your tastes, though. I'll throw in another vote for their wings, too.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:52 PM
barnell
butter knife hockey

I really enjoy Cole's wings more than any that I've ever had.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 05:58 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
You got Duff's confused with the Anchor Bar.

Also, Gabriel's Gate gets my vote.

mechaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:11 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Gabriel's Gate is less well-known than Duffs or the Anchor Bar, but they have good ones. Coles used to be a favorite too, though they've changed kitchen personnel enough times that I haven't had them from the current kitchen brigade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabres_phan View Post
And the article doesn't mention that they have an upstairs area with tables that they open during lunch.

04-04-2011, 06:28 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:

I prefer Duffs but Anchor Bar is good and Duffs is packed every time we try to go there. Also, the person saying Duffs is just franks doesn't know what they are talking about...Anchor bar is the one that seems to just use some watery sauce like franks..Duffs sauce is thick, they may use Franks but they put other ingredients in it. Anchor Bar's hot wings aren't even very hot..Duffs mediums are spicier.

One thing I find funny is that everywhere outside of Buffalo thinks Buffalo Wild Wings have incredible wings, but yet they closed down in Buffalo because their wings are nothing compared to our local joints. Buffalo is the only place I've been to where you can get wings from a pizza place and they can actually be good.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
I prefer Duffs but Anchor Bar is good and Duffs is packed every time we try to go there. Also, the person saying Duffs is just franks doesn't know what they are talking about...Anchor bar is the one that seems to just use some watery sauce like franks..Duffs sauce is thick.
I've never had watery sauce at Anchor Bar. Ever. Anchor Bar sauce isn't even orange like most of them using Frank's, it's brown.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Anchor Bar? Order them extra crispy with the sauce on the side. And no, it's not Franks.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:43 PM
dan716

I 3rd the Gabriel's Gate mention, my favorite wings in the city. It's probably a 10 minute drive from the arena, no highways necessary. If you're crossing at the Peace Bridge, you can hop right on to Porter Ave and you'll be there in a few minutes after a couple of turns. Bonus is that it's near some cool shops (like Rust Belt Books) if you're into that kind of thing.

dan716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Fire Lindy
Trust the System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Anchor Bar? Order them extra crispy with the sauce on the side. And no, it's not Franks.
Crispy is key, that is why Buffalo Wild Wings failed..they had good sauce, different tasting than anywhere else..but their wings were never crispy.

Fire Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:05 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
People who think Duffs and Anchor Bar have the best wings haven't stopped by Gabriel's Gate, CLEARLY. Step outside of the box ya bums! Lol.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockFlagAndEagle View Post
Crispy is key, that is why Buffalo Wild Wings failed..they had good sauce, different tasting than anywhere else..but their wings were never crispy.
Wings absolutely MUST be crispy, no matter where they come from. It's hard to get cooks to understand this fact sometimes though.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:25 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:

I agree Clock. While it is the mainstream choice, and thus gets a lot of anti-mainstream crap, they have the best wings in Buffalo. Duffs is very good, but if given the choice I go to the Anchor Bar.

In about 10 years make sure you take Penalty Clock Jr II there for their first wing experience, followed of course by a Sabres game.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:31 PM
JD SabreFan

Send a message via AIM to JD SabreFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Wings absolutely MUST be crispy, no matter where they come from. It's hard to get cooks to understand this fact sometimes though.
More often than not, my wings at duffs are crispy to the point its like chewing through wood to get to the meet.. even when I don't request crispy.

JD SabreFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Reddawg

There's a little pizzeria in Niagara Falls (US side) called Sammy's that has fantastic chicken wings...haven't had them in years but man, they're good.

Anchor Bar has never really done much for me, and I confess I've never had Duff's. There are a few places in Rochester that have seriously decent chicken wings...nature's perfect food.

Old
04-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Clock

Am I the only one who likes his wings to be tender? Am I a freak? Give it to me straight.

Old
04-04-2011, 07:45 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
Am I the only one who likes his wings to be tender? Am I a freak? Give it to me straight.
I don't think you're a freak, but crispy wings with a lot of tasty medium-heat sauce and a ton of ranch dressing...yummo.

I haven't been able to really enjoy tender wings since a friend of mine got food poisoning off undercooked chicken wings at a local bar, ever since then I specifically request crispy...so at least if they come out tender I can be pretty confident that they're at least cooked somewhat properly for normal people.