HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan gets better and better.....

Old
04-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Stepan gets better and better.....

This kid has gotten better and better every game. Tonight he has 1 goal 1 assist played 20 min. he was +3 and now leads all forwards in the plus minus category. Torts has all the confiedence in the world in this kid. He was on the ice in the last miute in a 1 goal game tonight. This kid is going to be a great player down the stretch for us!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:09 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Stepan had an awesome game. That move at center ice to seal the deal took major balls and thats the type of confidence that is going to make him one hell of a player in the this league.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:11 PM
McMonster

love this kid... cant wait to see him play when he's fully developed

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:12 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

I just want to say.......I hate respect your team. The whole team, 1-23. Except Avery who I just hate, but the rest. Hate-respect. Well done, I see big things from this team, real sleeper.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:15 PM
broadwayblue

What a great play he made to keep the play alive and help set up that second goal. Just a smart heads up play and a great hustle to beat multiple Bruins to the corner boards.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:16 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
I just want to say.......I hate respect your team. The whole team, 1-23. Except Avery who I just hate, but the rest. Hate-respect. Well done, I see big things from this team, real sleeper.
It goes both ways, trust me. Except for Marty, but that makes the Avery thing a wash.

1Knee1T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:17 PM
johnnydollaz89*
7 More Wins!!

Send a message via AIM to johnnydollaz89*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TullyNYR View Post
It goes both ways, trust me. Except for Marty, but that makes the Avery thing a wash.
hahaha that is so true

johnnydollaz89* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:35 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

He's my fave on the Rangers. Make no mistake I've been waiting for his arrival for years. Future captain.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:38 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
He's my fave on the Rangers. Make no mistake I've been waiting for his arrival for years. Future captain.
Wasnt he picked in 08 or 09? So a year and a half at most?

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolskii View Post
Wasnt he picked in 08 or 09? So a year and a half at most?
Well I've been watching him play since 2008.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I would like to see more him involved in the play more consistently on a game to game basis.... This summer he needs to concentrate on his skating and obviously build some more muscle.... That being said, very good rookie season for him... He has a bright future....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 11:53 PM
McMonster

he reminds me of Zach Parise when he first broke into the league.... am I the only one?

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:01 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
he reminds me of Zach Parise when he first broke into the league.... am I the only one?
I honestly don't see the comparison.

Stepan is a playmaker. Parise is more shoot-first. Not to mention Parise is a much better skater than Step. I'd say they both have great vision, awareness and work-ethic, but that's really it IMO.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:57 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

I didnt have hope after he had that hatrick game in his first game. I just felt like he was going to fall down slowly. And thank god I'm wrong, this kid is having a hellova season. We can consistaly get 20-60 pts per year.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:17 AM
egelband

I really hope Sather simply stays the course. Fine to sprinkle in two or three players, but I just love the way this team is being developed from within. I have never been priveleged to root for such a team. This team has brought me back. Even if they don't make the playoffs, it has been a real pleasure. Stay the course!

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:19 AM
msv957

Stepan is looking to be a real good NHL pro for a long time. He was only drafted 3 years ago and now is playing first line minutes. Very impressive. Stepan just seems really smart on the ice. Great pick by Gordie Clark in the 2nd round!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:26 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Stepan is more like Travis Zajac than Zach Parise. Last night was Stepan's best game in a long time. He has never played so many games in one season. 21 goals. 44 points. Has played every Ranger game. Needs to improve his face-offs. Excellent rookie season. Can't ask for much more.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:47 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Zach Parise was not as dynamic skater back then as he is now, and in that sense, that Stepan hopefully will be able to develop his skating like ZP has -- I too think of Parise often when I see Stepan.

Last edited by Ola: 04-05-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
This kid has gotten better and better every game. Tonight he has 1 goal 1 assist played 20 min. he was +3 and now leads all forwards in the plus minus category. Torts has all the confiedence in the world in this kid. He was on the ice in the last miute in a 1 goal game tonight. This kid is going to be a great player down the stretch for us!!
At a intense place like this, when we question every move and any player, kid or not, often is not better then his last shift -- I think its fair to point out that Derek Stepan definitely has not been for 78 games this season. He has had a whole bunch of quite games. He has had a whole bunch of sub-par defensive games to be honest too. Not in a negative way, but compared to the avg. NHL center Stepan has not been above avg defensively 78 games this season.

My point is, we have afforded to give this kids time during some ups and downs this season. We have also given him a good environment to play in on many nights.

So often we see kids come in, and they are not given a good environment to play in -- and we do not have time to let them grow in that role. Like Del Zotto for example. We couldn't give him a break on the PP-blue line, he was thrown out there night after night after night. Like Zucc, who definitely would have been well served by having a big center with good defensive abilities, and a strong winger on his line, got to play on a line with a not-so big offensiveminded rookie center (who while not exposed defensively on the avg night, certainly isn't well equipped to cover for others defensively either) and a LW that would not back-check in WW for long stretches.

Stepan is a great story and is part of the future of this team, but I hope the brass of this team do not go thinking "hey Stepan made it why can not these kids do it? Lets deal them.", he also shows how much there is to gain in being able to give a kid a good environment to grow in.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Stepan is more like Travis Zajac than Zach Parise. Last night was Stepan's best game in a long time. He has never played so many games in one season. 21 goals. 44 points. Has played every Ranger game. Needs to improve his face-offs. Excellent rookie season. Can't ask for much more.
Yeah, he hasn't exactly gotten better and better...he looks like he's gotten tired towards the end of the season here and has been inconsistent with winning puck battles lately. But I think that's all a result of being a rookie and never playing this much hockey before. All stuff that can and will be fixed as he matures as a pro.

But it's good to see him putting up some good games still

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Jackson Ranger

I thought Stepan was very physical last night and had a couple of good hits along the boards.

I wasn't able to see last week's games because I was traveling but before that he did look like he was slowing down due to the number of games he has played this year.

Maybe Vinny's enthusiasm was rubbing off on him and Wolski last night?

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
At a intense place like this, when we question every move and any player, kid or not, often is not better then his last shift -- I think its fair to point out that Derek Stepan definitely has not been for 78 games this season. He has had a whole bunch of quite games. He has had a whole bunch of sub-par defensive games to be honest too. Not in a negative way, but compared to the avg. NHL center Stepan has not been above avg defensively 78 games this season.

My point is, we have afforded to give this kids time during some ups and downs this season. We have also given him a good environment to play in on many nights.

So often we see kids come in, and they are not given a good environment to play in -- and we do not have time to let them grow in that role. Like Del Zotto for example. We couldn't give him a break on the PP-blue line, he was thrown out there night after night after night. Like Zucc, who definitely would have been well served by having a big center with good defensive abilities, and a strong winger on his line, got to play on a line with a not-so big offensiveminded rookie center (who while not exposed defensively on the avg night, certainly isn't well equipped to cover for others defensively either) and a LW that would not back-check in WW for long stretches.

Stepan is a great story and is part of the future of this team, but I hope the brass of this team do not go thinking "hey Stepan made it why can not these kids do it? Lets deal them.", he also shows how much there is to gain in being able to give a kid a good environment to grow in.
This is a great post Ola.

If this were a few years ago I'd sweat Stepan's development. But I think the NYR have done a great job of sending kids down when they needed it. Del Zotto, Zucc are great examples of guys that needed/need some more time in HFD.

I think it's great that we have enough depth to do this without hurting the big club and doing what they see as the best for each player.

Clearly earlier this year we saw what great work they have been doing down in HFD as the kids that came up didn't miss a beat.

Stepan, first and foremost is a rookie. He is going to have ups and downs, it happens. But it's how he reacts and how the NYR have worked with him thru the year that has me hoping that this kid will be a solid player for years to come.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Ranger109

I liked how he scored his NUMBER 21 last night, thought that was cool!

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
Stepanformayor*

Did any of us think that Stepan would be closing in on 50 points? Not me!!

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Stepan is looking to be a real good NHL pro for a long time. He was only drafted 3 years ago and now is playing first line minutes. Very impressive. Stepan just seems really smart on the ice. Great pick by Gordie Clark in the 2nd round!
Dubinsky 2ed round pick in 04

Callahan 4th round pick in 04 got drafted at 19 i believe.

and i hate when people say its only a 3rd round pick.

good thing Boyle didnt have another year like last year. i just hope its not a contract thing. only thing that worries me.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote