HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Stepan gets better and better.....

Old
04-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Stepanformayor*

vCash: 500
Stepan is living proof that you don't need to be a great skater to make it in this leauge. Some of the greatest players of all time were not very good skaters. IMO his skating has improved considerably since game 1, and it will only get better with time as he develops and gets stronger.
What excites me is that his hockey IQ is better than most of his teamates, and 90% of his peers. IMO that's what makes him special. The little dink pass around the boards he made to set up the 2nd goal the other night was something most players would have never seen .That pass had to be right there and right now. If he doesn't make that play, there's no goal. You just don't expect a 20 year old kid to make that play.. At least i don't. I too love how the Brass is dealing with this taem, and it's future. Should be some fun games ahead

Stepanformayor* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:46 PM
MSG the place to be*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsposHounds View Post
Stepan is living proof that you don't need to be a great skater to make it in this leauge. Some of the greatest players of all time were not very good skaters. IMO his skating has improved considerably since game 1, and it will only get better with time as he develops and gets stronger.
What excites me is that his hockey IQ is better than most of his teamates, and 90% of his peers. IMO that's what makes him special. The little dink pass around the boards he made to set up the 2nd goal the other night was something most players would have never seen .That pass had to be right there and right now. If he doesn't make that play, there's no goal. You just don't expect a 20 year old kid to make that play.. At least i don't. I too love how the Brass is dealing with this taem, and it's future. Should be some fun games ahead
On Prospals 2nd goal, the impressive part wasn't the decision he made with the puck. If a player has the puck on his forehand and sees open ice in the direction he's facing then that is where he's going to put the puck.

The impressive part was how Stepan outhustled the Boston defenseman to get to the puck. That to me illustrates the best part of Stepan's game for this season - His pride. Quite honestly Stepan has had a frustrating season, but thats not to say its been a bad season. You can just see it in his body language though that he expects himself to play at an elite level no matter if its college or the NHL and hes just dying to find a way to give more. That leads to him always taking the body, breaking up plays defensively, etc.

Again, I'm not saying Stepan has been a disappointment. I just think that some of his limitations are making it hard for him to play the way he is accustomed to playing. However, the way he has handled everything this season has been fantastic and with some added strength and work on his skating the sky is the limit.

MSG the place to be* is offline   Reply With Quote