HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Captain Cally or Captain Dubi? (All Captaincy Discussion)

View Poll Results: Who do you see more fit as Captain?
Callahan 256 78.77%
Dubinsky 69 21.23%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-27-2011, 02:11 PM
McMonster

vCash: 500
Staal should be captain

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:33 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I'm actually really surprised Staal hasn't been mentioned more.
Staal is probably our second best player after Hank, but I just don't think he has the personality. I'd have no problem with Staal getting it though, I think he'd really take it and run with it.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:41 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
The only downside to it being Cally is that given his size and the game he plays may not allow him to last in the NHL as long as we'd like.

Also, nobody here seems to think Stepan will be one of the A's. I think that's very possible in a couple of years.
Excellent point about Step. Not this year, and maybe not in the next few, but according to everything you read he'll have a leadership role eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
I don't get what's wrong with wanting your captain to have swagger. Messier had plenty of swagger. That swagger, moxy, attitude, whatever you want to call it, in my opinion, and in Dubinsky's case, makes that player elevate his game when it really matters and when he really wants it. And I think when Dubinsky does that, the rest of the team tends to follow.

Really, both Dubinsky, Callahan, and partially Staal have been our 3 captains for the last season or two. Drury barely opens his mouth, and the whole "leading by example" excuse for keeping him as captain has run dry. He's not doing anything on the ice, there's no example to follow. So I'd be plenty happy with Dubinsky or Callahan being Captain, and I wouldn't mind Staal either.

Maybe a dual-captaincy is possible?
People keep bringing up Messier. It's actually a great parallel - because before the 94 championship, I felt he was extremely respected, put the team first, lead by both word and deed and, as a direct result of those attributes, was instrumental in bringing home the Cup.

But AFTER '94, he basically became a rock star in NY and I believe he started to read his own press clippings about his leadership, which caused his ego to leap to another level - such that over his last few years it actually became a significant detriment (as he resisted taking a reduced role and started interfering in roster decisions).

What's funny is that people remember Messier's personality at the end of his career and assign it to the results that he achieved earlier, when he was less self-promoting.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 02:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

In a couple of years, absolutely. But Step isn't in the leadership core yet.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 03:25 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Stepan will be a captain into his late 20's to 30's

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:47 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
These are speculative statistics...100%...75% -- there's no proof of this. I used to be part of the group that wouldn't mind trading Dubinsky to get something back but that view of mine changed as Dubinsky's game has changed. What once used to be a very inconsistent player is now consistent to a greater extent. He moves his legs much more. He's a different player from what he once was. He was sticking his tongue out? really? Come on now. We're reaching.

Unfortunately the bottom line is the holdout left a sour taste in Torts' mouth. I'm not sure Dubi will get the C. It's almost certainly going to be Callahan. However, I'd love for Dubinsky to get it while at the same time I have no problem with Callahan getting it.

This isn't politics. This is hockey. I like it when a captain and the fans have a connection during the heat of a moment. I like it when a captain can portray how the fans feel instead of being reserved and political in their approach. Like Drury has and like Callahan will.
I'm not reaching at all, I dislike his attitude you don't. Game over.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:38 AM
coz21
Skrillllllz

Who cares if a Captain is boring to the press. That should be the least of Tort's concerns. If Callahan can fire up the team in private but doesn't have great soundbites it shouldn't matter.

coz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by coz21 View Post
Who cares if a Captain is boring to the press. That should be the least of Tort's concerns. If Callahan can fire up the team in private but doesn't have great soundbites it shouldn't matter.
Nope. Your Captain needs to be a reincarnation of Messier. Anything less and they're just Chris Drury, who is the worst Captain in the history of the Rangers.

At least that's what I gather from some of the posts on this board.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Puckslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Captaincy is not chosen. It happens naturally. A guy just takes the reigns. The team giving him the C is just a formality of something that has already happened.

The same is true for the Rangers. There is no choice here. You can see it; it's Callahan's team. He's already been our captain for a full season. The C is just a formality.
II think he has effectively been the captain for most of the season, in Drury's absence.

But I wonder about whether there's an argument to be made about giving the decision more time, another season, perhaps?

I think Dubinsky could emerge as that Messier-type captain the team has been missing for a long time.

All Dubinsky lacks is consistency, and a little more maturity and responsibility — both of which are Callahan's strong suits. He's always had leadership traits, now he's starting to show those little details like being the guy who thinks of collecting the puck on a rookies first goal. Not a big deal, but nevertheless a small sign. Given time, Dubinsky could very well develop those consistency and greater responsibility traits, since he's made some progress in those departments this past season, but is still streaky and prone to occasional dumb moves. (The smarts are a little questionable sometimes).

If he progresses further in terms or consistency and responsibility, could he eventually become the more complete package? Maybe it's better to wait a little? Three A's for the time being?

That said, my gut tells me the time may be ripe to make a statement about the core, the future direction, and name a new captain next season. And if that decision is based on the recent seasons and the "now," then Cally appears to be more of a close fit to a particular captain model — the consistent, willing to sacrifice, and responsible, do what it takes to win, every game-type.

I'd guess they will pick the guy who shows the most consistency game in, game out — someone who they want to set an example for other players to emulate.

Doubt they will wait to see whether Dubinsky gets to that point,or beyond it, before announcing Cally as capt.

Last edited by Puckslinger: 05-28-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Puckslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Mentioning Dubinsky and Messier in the same sentence should be a punishable offense. Dubinsky is a nice player but he couldn't hold Messier's jock. In any facet of the game.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 06:35 PM
NYRSchrute217

I love Dubinsky too, but Callahan stepped in front of a 100mph slap shot and broke his ankle for this team. Thread over

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 08:25 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

I join the triple A club.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
I love Dubinsky too, but Callahan stepped in front of a 100mph slap shot and broke his ankle for this team. Thread over
Oh please, like nobody else has ever blocked a Chara shot

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:10 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
Oh please, like nobody else has ever blocked a Chara shot
It was an example. Dubinsky doesn't throw his body around blocking shots like Callahan does.

Old
05-29-2011, 12:16 AM
mike14

I don't really care who the next Captain is, but how does blocking or not blocking shots have any bearing on who would be a good Captain?

As most of the stuff that makes a good Captain happens behind closed doors, I'm confident that the Rangers will give the C to the right player

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:17 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Didn't Dubinsky break his hand last season trying to block a shot by Phaneuf?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 12:27 AM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Didn't Dubinsky break his hand last season trying to block a shot by Phaneuf?
Callahan broke his too against Pittsburgh

Old
05-29-2011, 09:32 PM
xxxZENxxx

Cally is the heart and soul of this team. It blows my mind that anyone could choose Dubi over him for the C. Brandon is too inconsistent and immature at this point to handle such a responsibility.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 09:35 PM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
Staal should be captain
After dealing with the quiet leader we currently have, I really don't think anyone wants that again. Staal is a great talent and should get an A, but this team needs more of an energy player (i.e. Cally) in that role.

xxxZENxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Im glad this captain discussion has degenerated into a broken bones contest. Personally, I dont want my captain missing significant time, but thats just me.

Anyway, Callahan was pretty much tailor made to be a New York Rangers captain. How could you not love him? His game, though it borders on wreckless, is loved and respected by all. Give him the C.

Dubinsky is the better player, although its very close. But Callahan has that energizer bunny component to his game thats a rare find, and an inspiration. Thats what I think of when I hear "captain."

Bottom line is they've both turned into top 6 players and thats refreshing to see from an organization that has a downright embarassing track record of developing top 6 talent. And thats why I hope they get the exact contract terms this summer. One doesnt deserve more than the other.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:36 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
It was an example. Dubinsky doesn't throw his body around blocking shots like Callahan does.
Then Drury should stay captain.

Florida Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2011, 10:50 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Then Drury should stay captain.
Ya know, its funny, because Callahan reminds me of a young Drury in a lot of ways. Callahan is more physical, and Drury was probably better offensively, but they went about the game in a very similar way.

Its funny to see how villified Drury is today because he has too much tread on those tires. Dont need to worry about that with Callahan now/for the next contract, but I'd be pretty worried about how his game will look into his 30's.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 05:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I love them both, flip a coin and I'd be happy. Down the stretch this past season did it for me. Callahan was invaluable to this team. Played a huge part to getting them to the playoffs. Up until that point, I was a Dubi for Captain guy, that tipped the scales for me to Cally for Captain. But to me, its much like Mess and Gretz in Edmonton, Captain 1A and Captain #1. One person for sure who is not the captain of this team is Chris Drury.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:11 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-30-2011, 06:37 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Definitely Callahan. Callahan is far more composed and plays with heart night in and night out. He may not be as talented as Dubinsky, but he makes up for that with his play. Dubinsky I see as being too off the wall to even be an alternate. I'm sure everyone appreciates Dubinsky's effort and the leadership he brings, but he surely isn't that composed.

I can pretty much see Torts going with Callahan ahead of Dubinsky. If Drury goes next year I can see the captains as being:

C: Callahan
A: Staal
A: Fedotenko, Richards, or Prospal(If one of the three mentioned is signed.)

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote