HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey's one-one talks

Old
04-03-2011, 06:27 PM
donghabs98
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Gainey's one-one talks

This was written by Kamal Panesar when he did his recap of the Montreal/New Jersey game
Quote:
The hidden hand of Bob Gainey is still working magic

Much has been made of Bob Gainey's infrequent private discussions with certain players over the years.

The first such incident took place with former Hab, Alex Kovalev, when he was playing some abysmal hockey a few seasons ago. The now famous walk by the water in the Old Port of Montreal, had lasting effects on Kovalev and helped make him a more productive player for the Habs.

Last season, after being demoted to the Bulldogs and going AWOL, it was Sergei Kostitsyn's turn to get a personal one-on-one visit from Gainey. After the meeting, Kostitsyn returned to the Bulldogs and played some excellent hockey before ultimately being recalled to Montreal and subsequently traded.

This season, it was Scott Gomez's turn to receive special treatment from Silent Bob.

It was reported that three games ago, Gainey came out of the shadows to talk with the much maligned center. While the details of what was discussed have and will continue to remain a secret, the effects of the tÍte-a-tÍte are visible on the ice.

Since their discussion, Gomez has played his best hockey of the 2010-2011 NHL season. On the scoreboard, he has two assists and a plus-2 rating over the last three games but, more importantly, looks like he has come back to life.

He is finally skating, making plays and strong passes, looks good in the defensive zone and, for the first time this season, is making his wingers better.

The addition of Darche on his has been a boon too, since Darche does all of the dirty work needed for the trio to be effective.

With three games left in the season Gomez's resurgence could not be more timely. But let's just remember who should be credited for the turnaround.

If there was any doubt about Gainey's involvement in the team, I think it is now dispelled. The only question that remains now is whether or not Gomez will be traded. As witnessed with Kovalev and Kostitsyn, a private Gainey talk seems to be the kiss of death!
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Kamal...ated/137/34935

any thoughts?

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 04-04-2011 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Added link to the entire article
donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:32 PM
BLONG7

vCash: 500
BG carries enough clout, to take these guys out, and give them the gears to motivate them...shouldn't have to happen, but it does...

BG knows that alot of these guys are going to struggle, and not be able to handle the media, and the fans expectations...but when he points out their flaws, and what they have to do, they seem to go out and do it...

BG could be a motivational speaker? Nah....

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Alaix
I believe.

vCash: 883
Whatever makes the team better

Alaix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:40 PM
beh3moth

An interesting idea is having Gainey in a leadership role for the team such as coaching if he's this influential/motivating.

beh3moth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by donghabs98 View Post
This was written by Kamal Panesar when he did his recap of the Montreal/New Jersey game
any thoughts?
Considering that Gainey was the Habs GM who traded for Gomez (and his absurd contract)...he may feel a sense of responsibility toward the HABS team/organization etc.

Whatever helps Gomer find his 'game' should of course be beneficial to the HABS.

I find it remarkable that the writer (Kamal Panesar) actually thinks the HABS may be able to trade Gomez.

Truely amazing!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kool Aid View Post
Considering that Gainey was the Habs GM who traded for Gomez (and his absurd contract)...he may feel a sense of responsibility toward the HABS team/organization etc.

Whatever helps Gomer find his 'game' should of course be beneficial to the HABS.

I find it remarkable that the writer (Kamal Panesar) actually thinks the HABS may be able to trade Gomez.

Truely amazing!

I don't think it would be easy, but I certainly don't think it would be as hard as most HF posters seem to think so. When people speak of it, it's as if Gomez was the worst player in the NHL on top of using all of a team's cap space.
I believe a few teams could be interested in him, just like we apparently weren't the only one in the mix back when we dealt with the Rangers.

Just like teams would take on Vinny now still with a gazillion years left, I'm sure some would take Gomez for 3years.
I don't think Gauthier wants to move him for the simple reason that we wouldn't be better without him. DD and Eller are doing well, but they are not ready. Maybe they will be next year, time will tell. If they are, then things might be different.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 08:11 PM
NLHabsFan

Didn't he have a talk with Gorges a couple of seasons ago too? I remember Gorges talking about it in an interview, saying how he was having a tough time and Gainey told him to keep working and it will come.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2011, 11:55 PM
AlexGalchenyuk94
NHL Managerial Guru

It's Bob Gainey. If I'm playing for the Montreal Canadiens and Bob Gainey comes to have a chat with me saying I'm not playing with enough effort, I'm not doing this or that; you can guarantee the next game I play is maximum effort.

AlexGalchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

No surprise here. What's the difference between Gainey vs Gauthier/Martin? One's a winner, the other two chronic losers. Gainey is no bull kind of guy. When he says things people listen, especially old school guys like Gomez. He probably gave him the speech about the pride of wearing the Habs uniform, the responsibility that comes with it, and all that. whatever works.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Harry Wong

Wish Bob would have a talk with Poulliot.

Harry Wong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:52 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Gainey is a great leader but I think those are short-term fixes and it never really do anything with Sergei when he was in Montreal and Kovy.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:03 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Gainey is a great leader but I think those are short-term fixes and it never really do anything with Sergei when he was in Montreal and Kovy.
Well you can't expect a motivational speach to fix everything for a player for the rest of his career.

Sure seems to have an effect though because Gomez HAS been playing far superior hockey since then. And I fully agree with whoever said that he should go chat with Pouliot if he didn't, because that's one player with all the skill required to be a big contributor that just can't seem to put it all together for a sustained period of time.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:11 AM
Capitano

When you get to the NHL you have the tools to be successful...when guys fall into a rut the problem is mostly mental.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 08:14 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:

Truely amazing!

Of course Gomez could be traded. Silly to think the opposite.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:11 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizniewski View Post
It's Bob Gainey. If I'm playing for the Montreal Canadiens and Bob Gainey comes to have a chat with me saying I'm not playing with enough effort, I'm not doing this or that; you can guarantee the next game I play is maximum effort.
well yes and no. I do remember Sergi Samsonov getting a long talk.
it does not work all the time now does it.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Habs

I think its Bob's responsibility to try and straighten out that trainwreck of a signing.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 09:27 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
That might be more related to the fact that he WORKS for the Habs player management...

Quote:

Truely amazing!

Kamal probably understands something you don"t.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That might be more related to the fact that he WORKS for the Habs player management...

Kamal probably understands something you don"t.

Yeah, me and a truck load of Habs fans - both on this board and at the Bell Cebtre!

Listened to the Habs game online vs. Carolina - post game they interviewed one of the writers from Habs Inside Out (think it was Stubbs).

His comment was that he was surprised by the fact that "Gainey overpaid to aquire Gomez" when (in his opinion) Sather would merely have wanted to rid himself of the Albatross of the Gomez contract.

Just last week Pierre McGuire indicated that Gomez has not lived up to the Habs expectations when they aquired him (no kidding eh?...........hard to see that one ..at least for some people).

Looks like you are right....guess there's a few of us who see things differently than you and Kamal!

Old
04-04-2011, 12:28 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I think its Bob's responsibility to try and straighten out that trainwreck of a signing.
Bob didn't sign Gomez.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yeah, me and a truck load of Habs fans - both on this board and at the Bell Cebtre!

Listened to the Habs game online vs. Carolina - post game they interviewed one of the writers from Habs Inside Out (think it was Stubbs).

His comment was that he was surprised by the fact that "Gainey overpaid to aquire Gomez" when (in his opinion) Sather would merely have wanted to rid himself of the Albatross of the Gomez contract.

Just last week Pierre McGuire indicated that Gomez has not lived up to the Habs expectations when they aquired him (no kidding eh?...........hard to see that one ..at least for some people).

Looks like you are right....guess there's a few of us who see things differently than you and Kamal!

What does it have to do with the possibility of trading Gomez?? Everything you said is UNRELATED to the odds of being able to trade Gomez, which was clearly my point when I said "Kamal probably understands something you don"t..". The assesment of the possibility is related to several factors, factors Kamal sees which you don't seem to see, and which you totally avoid by trying to twist the point of my reply into something else entirely.

How am I supposed to respect you and debate with you when you are completely unable to stay on point.

Here's a lowdown just to show how you completely change the argumentative discourse :

You say : "I find it amazing the writer thinks Gomez is tradeable"

I say : "The writer sees something you don't"

You then answer "this reporter says Gomez isn't reaching expectations, and this reporter says we could've had Gomez for less when we acquired him"

So, in your lresponse, do you see anything remotely related to the argument that was going on before? No. It doesn't touch on the POSSIBILITY of the Habs being able to trade Gomez. It just tries to make it sound as if I were arguing that the price was right for Gomez when we traded for him, or that I think and said Gomez reached the Habs expectations, both of which I haven't touched upon, nor ittirated an opinion of this in this present thread.

Seriously, philo courses would do you some good.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Bob didn't sign Gomez.

True - Gainey did however acquire the Gomez contract - must have been acceptable to him.......wouldn't you say?

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 04-04-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old
04-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesWithMom View Post
Of course Gomez could be traded. Silly to think the opposite.
To what team and when?

We have a yo......

Couple million (collective) thumbs up on LivesWithMom post!

Old
04-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
Bob didn't sign Gomez.
YOU REALLY NAILED ME ON THAT ONE.
\

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I don't think it would be easy, but I certainly don't think it would be as hard as most HF posters seem to think so. When people speak of it, it's as if Gomez was the worst player in the NHL on top of using all of a team's cap space.
I believe a few teams could be interested in him, just like we apparently weren't the only one in the mix back when we dealt with the Rangers.

Just like teams would take on Vinny now still with a gazillion years left, I'm sure some would take Gomez for 3years.
I don't think Gauthier wants to move him for the simple reason that we wouldn't be better without him. DD and Eller are doing well, but they are not ready. Maybe they will be next year, time will tell. If they are, then things might be different.

Kriss E,

I agree - if Gauthier does not have a better player to replace Gomez it would make little sense to trade him.

(We all remember the trade of Riberio to Dalls......for Jannie....what's his name?)

However if Gauthier had that extra $7 million of Gomez' contract (and Cap Space) to use - he may be able to sign a UFA or otherwise acquire a useful player or 2 for a total of $7 million or $8 million.

But I see your point.

Old
04-04-2011, 01:40 PM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Wong View Post
Wish Bob would have a talk with Poulliot.
Bob does not have to talk to Pouliot, just reach out and touch his wobbly legs.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote