HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Downie, Kunitz face Tuesday morning hearings - Update: 1 game suspension each!

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2011, 11:33 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Downie, Kunitz face Tuesday morning hearings - Update: 1 game suspension each!

Mods, put this wherever you see fit. I don't know if it's separate thread worthy. If it is, I guess let it stand.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/st...93475370561536

Quote:
Busy day on NHL discipline front: PIT's Kunitz has 10 a.m. disciplinary hearing with league, TB's Steve Downie on carpet right after it.
I would be very shocked if -- at bare minimums -- either one is available for Game 4, and if Kunitz is available for Game 5.

Old
04-19-2011, 12:44 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeCorcoranNHL
Quote:
So Ben Lovejoy said Downie's hit was good. No head contact. Leaving the feet is a charging penalty. No injury either. Whats the issue?
I am worried about Downie because of his past track record and reputation

Old
04-19-2011, 01:45 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

vCash: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

But he wasn't suspended in over 2 years if I recall correctly.

Old
04-19-2011, 01:47 AM
IdealisticSniper

Ill call it now.

Downie- Rest of the series
Kunitz- 1 game

Old
04-19-2011, 02:03 AM
Sear91

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Ill call it now.

Downie- Rest of the series
Kunitz- 1 game
I agree. I don't think Downie's hit warrants the series, but his history will most likely play a factor even if he hasn't been suspended for a while. Kunitz will get 1 game.

Old
04-19-2011, 02:33 AM
TheDaysOf 04
For The Chief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
But he wasn't suspended in over 2 years if I recall correctly.
Yeah, he hasn't been suspended but he has a lot of rough and tough like penalties, plays a nasty physical game, and has been known to lose his cool at times. A lot of refs still treat him unfairly, and he still has and probably will for a long time still be treated as the same young kid who would get himself in trouble years ago. It's unfair because for the most part he has been good, even this season without Toc, but some people just don't want to believe he's changed.

edit: he did fined last year for almost injuring Crosby

Last edited by TheDaysOf 04: 04-19-2011 at 02:42 AM.
Old
04-19-2011, 03:22 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

NHL On The Fly's Gary Green says Downie's hit wasn't suspension-worthy, Craig Button says he can't tell nowadays: http://video.lightning.nhl.com/video...=791&id=109661

Old
04-19-2011, 04:46 AM
VoteNOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 View Post

With the way Downie has been playing, maybe a suspension would be a good thing for him. I know, I know, he's the only pure hitter we have but he spends way too much time in the box, his skating has been sluggish and he can't handle the puck worth a flip. Boucher should sit him and put someone else in anyway.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:11 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteNOB View Post
With the way Downie has been playing, maybe a suspension would be a good thing for him. I know, I know, he's the only pure hitter we have but he spends way too much time in the box, his skating has been sluggish and he can't handle the puck worth a flip. Boucher should sit him and put someone else in anyway.
It's also worth mentioning that he apparently was benched by Boucher in game 2 (just 6:57 total ice time) and as well against Chicago not too long ago: "We even had a guy [obviously Downie, after he only saw 2:17 of ice time in the 3rd period] benched because I didn't like the way he acted on the ice" - Boucher postgame 4/3/11.

By the way TSN's Bob McKenzie thinks both Kunitz and Downie should get suspended.

Last edited by LightningStrikes: 04-19-2011 at 05:21 AM.
Old
04-19-2011, 05:49 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I've been thinking for a little while now that Downie might be on this way out with the team.

Old
04-19-2011, 05:54 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Old
04-19-2011, 07:19 AM
txpd

question. has yzerman had issues with downie's over the edge play enough so that there were reports in the media and healthy scratches? or do i remember incorrectly?

thought i read something about this mid season.

Old
04-19-2011, 07:40 AM
JedYzerman

The Kunitz elbow should receive the same penalty that Matt Cooke received. Both were purposeful, blindside, and not near the puck.

I do not think the Downie hit warrants a suspension. Lovejoy had his head down.. MISTAKE. He had the puck. I think the call on the ice was the appropriate outcome of that hit.

I agree with "The Chief" on a lot of hockey players looking down at the ice rather than looking at the forecheck coming. If you head is down and you aren't practicing ice awareness you deserve to be rocked. Thankfully though there was no injury to Lovejoy.

Old
04-19-2011, 07:44 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Both should be out for the rest of the series

Old
04-19-2011, 08:00 AM
StammerHed2010

I actually thought that Downie pulled up a little bit on the hit. If he was in full fledged crazy Downie mode he would have kept skating past the circles.
He leaves his feet, but I honestly don't understand how a smaller guy can hit a bigger guy without doing that. If he doesnt hit the center of Lovejoy's mass, he is the one getting injured and flipped into the boards. (see Ovechkin on Malkin 2008)

Either way, coming close to contact with the head is gonna get a guy with his history in trouble.

On another note. I really think that Downie is on his way out of here.
Maybe it was his time out with injury, but he doesn't seem as tight with the team anymore. Stamkos spends a lot more time with Nate and Teddy nowadays.
Not to mention that he spends a lot of time in Bouchers doghouse(so does Teddy), and doesn't seem to fit our style of play.
I hope not...because with a healthy year he makes a big difference.

Old
04-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by StammerHed2010 View Post
On another note. I really think that Downie is on his way out of here.
Maybe it was his time out with injury, but he doesn't seem as tight with the team anymore. Stamkos spends a lot more time with Nate and Teddy nowadays.
Not to mention that he spends a lot of time in Bouchers doghouse(so does Teddy), and doesn't seem to fit our style of play.
I hope not...because with a healthy year he makes a big difference.
That's along the lines of what I was thinking. It's not just that Downie's not playing with Stamkos, it's that his usefulness and productivity is drastically reduced when he's not. (and it's not like he was piling up the points with Stammer anyway) If another team hasn't figured that out, SFY could end up making another steal of a trade.

Downie being constantly benched and generally in the doghouse can't be helping his case either.

I seem to recall hearing that SFY had immediate reservations about having Downie on his team, but once he met with him, he changed his mind a bit. His behavior over the past few weeks and months might have drifted SFY's appraisal of him back into that territory.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:00 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
question. has yzerman had issues with downie's over the edge play enough so that there were reports in the media and healthy scratches? or do i remember incorrectly?

thought i read something about this mid season.
You remember incorrectly. When Downie has been healthy, he's played.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Well, he hasn't been benched. But his ice time was cut significantly in the third period of the Chicago game after he pulled that stupid crap that he was really lucky not to get called for, and he barely played in Game 2 in Pitts.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
Well, he hasn't been benched. But his ice time was cut significantly in the third period of the Chicago game after he pulled that stupid crap that he was really lucky not to get called for, and he barely played in Game 2 in Pitts.
He's been benched before. There's a definite difference between being a healthy scratch, and being benched.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:31 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

Both Yzerman and Boucher had reservations about Downie before the season, IIRC. Either way, Boucher doesn't seem very happy with him lately.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:37 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
He's been benched before. There's a definite difference between being a healthy scratch, and being benched.
Yes there is. I know he hasn't been scratched. I blame the rally drums for my lack of coherence. Point being, Boucher seems to be at the end of his patience with Mr. Downie. And I don't blame him, I like the guy but he keeps getting rope and keeps wanting to hang himself with it.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:48 AM
LightningStrikes
Klutcherov

But you got to admit it's kind of odd. Before the return of Downie and Malone, Boucher was praising their grit and physical play, didn't he even say something along the lines of "we need players on the edge"? Now in the playoffs Malone has taken more than just one stupid penalty but yet without consequence. Of course, Malone is a bigger threat offensively, he crashes the net and is just the typical power forward.

But I don't know why Downie has been on such a short leash lately. Even when he's playing great hockey he ends up on the bench, for instance take game 2: Thompson's goal was all him, Nate just had to put it in the empty net. But Downie got just under 7 minutes of ice time the whole game.

Old
04-19-2011, 09:54 AM
ThunderAlleyNomad

From Adam Proteau's twitter:

Proteautype Adam Proteau
If Kunitz isn't suspended for an elbow as flagrant as one that got Kubina suspended, Kubina should be free to elbow Kunitz without penalty.

I like this!

Old
04-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
But you got to admit it's kind of odd. Before the return of Downie and Malone, Boucher was praising their grit and physical play, didn't he even say something along the lines of "we need players on the edge"? Now in the playoffs Malone has taken more than just one stupid penalty but yet without consequence. Of course, Malone is a bigger threat offensively, he crashes the net and is just the typical power forward.

But I don't know why Downie has been on such a short leash lately. Even when he's playing great hockey he ends up on the bench, for instance take game 2: Thompson's goal was all him, Nate just had to put it in the empty net. But Downie got just under 7 minutes of ice time the whole game.
Operative word.

Old
04-19-2011, 10:14 AM
DangleDoppler

I just think Downie is a good enough player to merit not having to make goon plays that put him in the box and keep him off the ice. Look at D. Moore he gets under opposing players skin all the time, but he's doing in a smart way.

Closed Thread