Falling Prospects: Couturier and Rask

Old
04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Ya acquiring Draft picks was always something Sutter did. Ask yourself the question in a draft where the talent drops off immensely after the top 6 or so what is better. A 15 or 16th overall pick and then no one pick till the fourth round. Or a 20th or so and a 35 - 40th then another in the 4th. Don't put all your stalk and expect our first rounder this year to turn into some superstar.
Yet, on a team that always whines we never have high draft picks, we could keep it. And to solve your no pick till the 4th round bit? Don't trade our picks. Also, no way we get the 35th-40th pick by moving down four spots. Late second, perhaps, but unlikely.

I'm all for trading down if you think the guy you want is still there. For example, when we traded down with NJ, and picked up a third and still got Erixon, the guy Sutter was targeting anyways. We then flipped that third as part of the deal for Bouwmeester.

However, in this draft, there is real potential for a true offensive forward to fall into the early teens. RNH, Landeskog, Couturier, Strome, McNeil, Hurberdeau, Armia, Zibanejad, Saad, Puempel are all something Calgary would love to have. Throw in the big name defensemen like Larsson, Murphy, Hamilton, Bealieu, etc.... I'm sure I'm missing someone too. Assuming we pick in the early teens, we could get a solid prospect. I'd rather wait until the last minute before making any moves, which you could be advocating anyways.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:27 AM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

1. Mika Zibanejad
2. Brandon Saad
3. Joel Armia
4. Ty Rattie

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 11:37 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

vCash: 500
I'm all for keeping picks but I would definitely trade on of next year's picks + this years first if it means moving up to draft a touted player.

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 12:17 PM
tfong

Well in that trade down, we got Erixon instead of Josefson. Hopefully that will turn out well for us because Josefson looks pretty good in his limited minutes.

But trading down also has risks, I mean look at the difference one draft rank makes?

24 Mattias Tedenby (left wing) Sweden New Jersey Devils (from Minnesota) HV71 (Sweden)
25 Greg Nemisz (right wing) Canada Calgary Flames (from Montreal) Windsor Spitfires (OHL)

I was calling for the Flames to get Tedenby throughout that entire time too and he gets picked one spot ahead of the flames (not that the flames probably would've taken him anyways though).

I don't want to be trading down to get 2 worthless picks rather than 1 solid pick.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Roadrage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Ya acquiring Draft picks was always something Sutter did. Ask yourself the question in a draft where the talent drops off immensely after the top 6 or so what is better. A 15 or 16th overall pick and then no one pick till the fourth round. Or a 20th or so and a 35 - 40th then another in the 4th. Don't put all your stalk and expect our first rounder this year to turn into some superstar.
I don't think I would have put myself into a position where I didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round after my 1st pick. But for arguments sake, I would only trade down if I thought the guy I was targeting were still available. Otherwise, your following the Dutter plan of stockpiling 3rd line energy/grinder or Leadership/Character type guys.

Roadrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2011, 04:37 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrage View Post
I don't think I would have put myself into a position where I didn't have a draft pick until the 4th round after my 1st pick. But for arguments sake, I would only trade down if I thought the guy I was targeting were still available. Otherwise, your following the Dutter plan of stockpiling 3rd line energy/grinder or Leadership/Character type guys.
I finally figured out this "Dutter" guy you peeps are talking about. I was seriously scratching my head over that lol...

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Skobel24
GO IGGY GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
I finally figured out this "Dutter" guy you peeps are talking about. I was seriously scratching my head over that lol...
/facepalm

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
I'd be fine with Puempel myself.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote