HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Washington @ Toronto. 7pm. 4/5/2011

Old
04-05-2011, 12:46 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Mole View Post
Is there a reason you're getting ****** with me? Green is far from the liability he was over the last few seasons. That's merely an opinion. You're acting like I said TFS deserves a Norris nomination.
I present to you, the reason:

Quote:
I guess. Though we're all a little manic on this board as far as who we're angry at this week. The Green hate is unwarranted though.
Quote:
This season is a massive improvement over the last two defensively, and while last year especially was awful - sitting here and ignoring his growth as a player isn't going to make us feel any better about this years playoffs.

Believe me, I was swearing at my TV just as much as you were - but knowing that Green is likely not going anywhere, I feel the need to accept his improvements as defenseman instead of spouting hate at every opportunity. He's far from a liability these days.
Quote:
unwarranted adj
1. lacking justification
Calling someone "awful" and admitting to swearing at an inanimate object over someone's play sounds like ample justification to list them in the top three of a team's most criticized players. That's all I was pointing out. You took it from there.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadrupleDeke View Post

Calling someone "awful" and admitting to swearing at an inanimate object over someone's play sounds like ample justification to list them in the top three of a team's most criticized players. That's all I was pointing out. You took it from there.
It is warranted if you're limiting it to the appropriate contexts. As long as you're not ignoring demonstrable improvement along the way...

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 12:51 PM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

Quote:

Maybe we're getting our wires crossed here. I said his play over the last couple years was bad, and has since improved to the point where I can't say the same things this year that I said last year.

I'm willing to eat a little crow if he's actually gotten better, which in my opinion he has. It's your right to see it differently I guess.

Last edited by I Am The Mole: 04-05-2011 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Politeness.
I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:01 PM
QuadrupleDeke
33% more deke

Quote:
Maybe we're getting our wires crossed here. I said his play over the last couple years was bad, and has since improved to the point where I can't say the same things this year that I said last year.

I'm willing to eat a little crow if he's actually gotten better, which in my opinion he has. It's your right to see it differently I guess.
It's hard to say that someone who has played fewer than 3 minutes of hockey since February 12 is better than he was the past two seasons. We have no idea what we're going to get when (if) he comes back.

QuadrupleDeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

No Semin, so what are we looking at?

8-19-22
21-44-18
25-90-16
26-15-10

23-55
27-74
4-62

Still doesn't look too bad, plus some of these guys such as Sturm, Chimera and perhaps even Fehr must realize that they need to show something during the last three games as it may be a determining factor as to their playing time in the first round.

Though neither of them got recognition via the 3 stars, thought Laich and Sturm both had solid games against the Sabres. Sturm especially was impressive standing in front of Enroth during the second period and getting physically assaulted without getting a call.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 01:57 PM
HTFN

Quote:
It's hard to say that someone who has played fewer than 3 minutes of hockey since February 12 is better than he was the past two seasons. We have no idea what we're going to get when (if) he comes back.
Green had played enough this year to form a pretty good opinion. Nobody knows about when he comes back, but he was great prior to leaving.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:21 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
The best defense i ever saw Green play was exactly a year ago to close out the regular season. He was dominating.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

lets just get out of this game with no injuries

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:37 PM
txpd

Quote:
Mike Green's game was much improved all the way around and I imagine that his numbers would have gotten a nice boost with Ov's improved play since the trade deadline.

If the Green that returns from the injury is the same Green that was playing when he got hit with the puck, he'll be a great upgrade. If his game is way off out of being out of game shape or fear of contact, then he wont be and thats the only question.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 02:40 PM
tycoonheart

I just want to see them play a really good defensive game. None of this 3-4 goals allowed crap. I'd love a 1-0 type win, with a solid showing by our defense and the goalie.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:02 PM
LangwaysMullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
lets just get out of this game with no injuries
+1, and 1 more, and another

LangwaysMullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Despite substantial gains in GAA this season, I don't expect that to carry over in a huge way come playoff time. I expect the PK to remain fairly solid for the most part but their transition game, physical play and defensive puck support doesn't inspire tremendous confidence to really expect many 2-1, 1-0 wins in the second season. Against more formidable forechecking teams I expect games more along the lines of recent outings against Philadelphia, Columbus and Buffalo.

When it comes down to it, they're still primarily a team that goes as far as their big offensive weapons take them.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

I dont know, logically 1- 0 trap, trap and dump and chase, playoffs tune-up kind of win is probably better then multiple breakdowns on defense and crappy goaltending, but in my perfect world Id rather see run and gun game with a great goaltending, decent defense and a lot of scoring, something like 6-2, 6-3 or something, on the road in Toronto, essentially eliminating their mathematical chances at POs I know, sounds terrible, but I guess I just like a little excitement

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Everlong
-

Hey guys, good luck tonight. Would just like to know what your lineup will look like tonight. I'm also hearing that semin is out.

Here's what we look like tonight for those interested.
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kadri - Boyce - Crabb
Rosehill - Brent - Brown

Aulie - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Schenn
Lashoff - Komisarek

Reimer

Cheers.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:45 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxClearTheCreasexx View Post
Hey guys, good luck tonight. Would just like to know what your lineup will look like tonight. I'm also hearing that semin is out.

Here's what we look like tonight for those interested.
MacArthur - Grabovski - Kulemin
Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kadri - Boyce - Crabb
Rosehill - Brent - Brown

Aulie - Phaneuf
Gunnarsson - Schenn
Lashoff - Komisarek

Reimer

Cheers.
Probably will look something in the order of the following:
Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Arnott - Sturm
Chimera - Johannson - Fehr
Hendricks - Gordon - Bradley

Alzner - Carlson
Hannan - Schultz
Erskine - Collins

not sure about goalie but I would think it would be Varlamov as Neuvirth had ths start the other night and we are playing back to back games with Florida tomorrow night back in D.C..

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Neuvirth gets the start.

Old
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Laich - Arnott - Sturm

Alzner - Carlson
Hannan - Schultz
Erskine - Collins

not sure about goalie but I would think it would be Varlamov as Neuvirth had ths start the other night and we are playing back to back games with Florida tomorrow night back in D.C..
Based on the morning skate it's Neuvirth, which I guess says as much as can be said (at this point, and obviously barring any big developments) about the game 1 starter.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Laich - Arnott - Sturm

Alzner - Carlson
Hannan - Schultz
Erskine - Collins

Per Vogs.
Michal Neuvirth gets the start in goal for the #Caps tonite.

Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 03:55 PM
txpd

Neuvirth is in the Theo slot. Its up to him to slam the door shut on Varly with strong first playoff games.

Old
04-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Robert Theodorson

Will Green and Wideman be back for the playoffs?

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:13 PM
txpd

i'd say green is touch and go. wideman sounds like a definately not. i wouldnt count on him for two weeks after he is reported seen at kettler again. my feeling is that the first round is going to be hard on the goalie.

Old
04-05-2011, 04:30 PM
Darkproducer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i'd say green is touch and go. wideman sounds like a definately not. i wouldnt count on him for two weeks after he is reported seen at kettler again. my feeling is that the first round is going to be hard on the goalie.
but neither of those are in the line up for their defense so it shouldnt bother the goalie one bit....

Darkproducer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:30 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
It's going to be even harder on the Rangers.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2011, 04:34 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkproducer View Post
but neither of those are in the line up for their defense so it shouldnt bother the goalie one bit....
i am not sure what you are trying to say. whats for sure is lack of puck moving defense means the puck doesnt move effectively and you get pinned in your own zone. maybe that is what you were getting at

Old
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I expect Green back barring a setback at this point. Regarding goaltending, it depends on the match-up. I don't expect Montreal or Buffalo to put quite as much pressure on the defense as, say, the Rangers when on their game. BUF/MTL are both fast but neither are particularly physical.